I didn't know I was pregnant - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 07-09-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you ever watched it. The tv show that is? I watched it a few nights ago. I keep thinking "hey maybe I am really pregnant and the baby will just pop out of my body on my way to work one day." With my pregnancy I felt every symptom in the book, and I was huge, no mistaking it.

Have you ever known anyone who didn't know they were pregnant?

How many months have you or someone you known gone without figuring it out?

I'd love to hear stories
#2 of 42 Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 PM

Ok, I'm forum crashing since I'm NOT ttc AT ALL right now.

But, I babysat for a gorgeous baby girl when I was a teenager - and when her mom had her little brother she didn't know until she was 4months along! And she's a doctor! She was so busy I guess that she just wasn't paying attention to her body, and finally took a test and then got an u/s for dating purposes!
#3 of 42 Old 07-09-2010, 05:42 PM

well, not THAT long, but i was 7 1/2 wks before i suspected anything was up when i was pg with my TWINS (ds's 1 and 2- didnt take a test until i was 8w1d) and about the same when i figured out i was pg with dd (#4) (bf'ing and no af- fainted 3 times before an old tyme nurse looked at me and said, honey, you are pregnant, and i said, oh, no ma'am, that's not possible... HA!)

Every good and perfect gift is from above.
#4 of 42 Old 07-09-2010, 05:58 PM

well, i looked like I had a basketball under my shirt at 7 months....but I know to people that went a long time without knowing.

my old boss who was an MD who did her field study under an OB didn't know she was pregnant until 6 months.

She found out because he doctor thought she had a hernia and gave her an X-ray. The Tech just said to her freaked out, That's not a hernia that's a baby!

Brilliant women, just thought menopause.

Another person I know, senior year of college no weight gain went to campus Doc because she kept feeling popcorn in her stomach. It was the baby kicking she was also around 6 month. She only gained 5lbs and never looked pregnant, gave birth to an 8 lb 2 oz girl.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#5 of 42 Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 PM

oh yeah, one of the nurses i worked with on a high-risk OB floor didnt know until she was abt 5 mths. she had irregular cycles, and one morning she woke up and the sheets were soaked in blood. she thought, golly, i havent had af in forever, it must all be coming at once! called her doc and got in right away, and found out then. and the baby was perfectly fine. i forget now what it was- i think it was a marginal sinus bleed that resolved. she was back to work before long.

#6 of 42 Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM

I know someone who didn't know until close to five months--she'd been told when she was younger that she couldn't get pregnant due to an injury or something. She just thought she'd had a bad case of stomach flu...

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#7 of 42 Old 07-09-2010, 06:42 PM

8 weeks isn't that late to find out. I think on this board it is because everyone is testing like 8dpo hahahaha.

I didn't find out I was pregnant with my daughter until I was around 10-12 weeks along. I had very irregular periods and I am overweight. But once I hit 6-7 months along I popped out(I also lost 30 pounds)

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#8 of 42 Old 07-09-2010, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know someone who didn't know until midway. She had irregular cycles (PCOS, I think?) and is heavier. She went in for a pap and came out pregnant.

I have a hard time imaging it as well, but then, I was really sick in the first half of both of my pregnancies. I suppose if I hadn't been so crazy sick and hadn't been pregnant before, I could see missing it in that case.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#9 of 42 Old 07-09-2010, 07:09 PM

My mom didn't know until she was 5mos with me.

However, they didn't have hpt then and information was harder to come by.

I imagine not knowing was more common back in the day.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#10 of 42 Old 07-09-2010, 08:05 PM

Imagine how much quicker your pregnancy flew by in the old days! If you don't find out until you only have 4 months to go...
These days we know by 10-11dpo!!

Me jammin.gif DH  REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 06/06 superhero.gif ...MC 2/9 11/9 5/10
#11 of 42 Old 07-09-2010, 08:17 PM

really, how did our grandmothers manage with no frer's or ic's! they had to kill a rabbit to find out. and our poor great grandmothers- they just had to wait until they got a belly and felt movement!

#12 of 42 Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 PM

I have a friend who didn't find out until about 5 months. They had to do IVF for her first pregnancy (twins). She hadn't had her first postpartum AF yet, the fact that she was nursing twins I'm sure had something to do with that, and didn't figure it out until she started showing. Considering her specific circumstances where she didn't think she could get pregnant on her own anyway, hadn't gotten her period yet (must've caught that first egg!) and started showing a little later, I can sort of understand.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#13 of 42 Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTHamI? View Post
I have a friend who didn't find out until about 5 months. They had to do IVF for her first pregnancy (twins). She hadn't had her first postpartum AF yet, the fact that she was nursing twins I'm sure had something to do with that, and didn't figure it out until she started showing. Considering her specific circumstances where she didn't think she could get pregnant on her own anyway, hadn't gotten her period yet (must've caught that first egg!) and started showing a little later, I can sort of understand.
I can totally understand that, especially if her symptoms weren't that strong. She probably thought she wasn't ovulating due to nursing. Amazing story!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#14 of 42 Old 07-10-2010, 01:39 AM

A good friend of mine had this happen recently. She had two losses in a row- the last one later around 17 weeks. She got pg w/i a month of that lost, but she didn't figure out she was pg again until she was THIRTY weeks along. She's a bit on the heavier side and had attributed her symptoms to recovering from the losses and grieving. She didn't even test until someone basically forced her bc she was sure it was all in her head!

She freaked out the rest of her pg, tho, bc she hadn't been careful for the pg, but her little son is just perfect.

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#15 of 42 Old 07-10-2010, 02:09 AM

My pregnancy experience was totally haywire. We were CTA and in the middle of buying a house. The stress must've thrown my cycle off, but I totally spotted right when my period was due. So went along a few weeks, feeling an emotional wreck. I kept saying to my partner, "What's wrong with me?" Dizzy spells, exhausted, you know the drill.

Finally I said to myself, "I'll take a test." This is, maybe, two weeks after the non-period spotting (I decided later that was implantation.). I got a BFN. I was relieved, as we were CTA, but still felt, well, funny. So another week and a half goes by, I'm still an emotional wreck, and I think, "Maybe that wasn't my period? I should take another test." So I do and... BFN! Again! I tell my partner I'm not sure what's going on, and he tells me it's all in my head. How supportive!

So I go along, and finally I'm pretty much due for the NEXT PERIOD now and I have a complete meltdown at work. Totally freaked. "What is going on with my body?" I got an appointment at a women's health clinic. I go in and get lost in the horrible medical complex and am a complete wreck and in tears when the midwife sees me. THANK GOD it was a midwife. I spilled the story, including my history of anxiety disorder, and she totally understands. "I won't even make you pee, we'll just take a blood test right now so you'll be SURE."

So Monday comes and she calls me and says "You tested positive for HCG but the levels are so low that it's not a viable pregnancy. You will most likely MC in the next two weeks. If you don't, it's ectopic and come in right away."

Well sh*t. If I wasn't an emotional, anxious wreck before, THAT did it. I just completely lost it. What if I did want that baby? How could the world take that away from me? So SAD! But wait, there's more...

So nothing happened. A week went by and I thought, "You know, that's crap. If it's ectopic, I want to know." So I called and basically forced them into doing an ultrasound on me. The doc came and and looked at my chart and then at me and said "you know, you did have a negative test..." I gave him the hand. "Please just do the ultrasound."

So he sighs, like I'm such a trial, and sticks the wand in there. And I'm going to quote him directly for you folks. He looked at the screen and actually said, "Well! Would ya look at that?" And then the Medical Assistant dashes out of the room. I wondered why? But I got dressed, thinking, "What the hell am I going to tell my partner?" We were CTA, after all. (For the record, his official response was "I can feel myself going bald and gaining weight right now.")

So I'm on my way down the hall and the midwife comes dashing down after me. That's where the med assistant went! She remembered me, and so did the midwife, from the blood test day. "Oh my god, can you believe it? I never would have guessed! In all my years, this has never happened! Come down to my office..." and she had the best demeanor and put me at such ease.

So there you have it. I think I was 10-12 weeks before I finally knew for sure.
AntoninBeGonin likes this.

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#16 of 42 Old 07-10-2010, 10:51 AM

That is a crazy story, MovnMama! Tell us more--so you went on to have the baby? Did they ever tell you why your hcg might have been so low? Had you been pregnant before?

Sorry for prying, I'm just really curious.

#17 of 42 Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't really get how someone could not know for the WHOLE time, but I can see it taking awhile to figure out.

I didn't ever have any morning sickness and I had very irregular periods in the past. So if I hadn't been trying (and therefore on Clomid) I may not have known for awhile. I was tired, irritable, and had headaches, but those symptoms would have been easily ignored or explained away if I hadn't already tested and known I was preg.

But now (at almost 20 wks) I have a belly and feel movement, and would definitely be going to the doc to find out what the heck was going on if I didn't already know.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#18 of 42 Old 07-10-2010, 12:22 PM

I have known two... one is a friend who has been on the show (lived in Northern Illinois but had baby up in Wisconsin on vacation) and the other is my cousin. Obviously you can get my friends info from watching to show so as for my cousin...

she already had 2 kids... she was on depo shot so not getting her periods... she had an anterior placenta so she didn't feel kicks as much (I have one this time, it sucks ) and she had just started a new tough job towards the beginning so the constantly being tired had a very obvious excuse... and she did not gain weight because she did not increase calories for baby... and was losing weight (while gaining baby weight) due to the demands of her new job... so she was the same size the day she had intense stomach pain and her mother took her to the hospital... as she was 38 weeks before (or so they estimate) when she was not even pregnant yet!

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#19 of 42 Old 07-10-2010, 12:49 PM

I used to disbelieve that anyone could ever possibly get to full term without knowing they were pregnant. And then I saw it happen myself. I'm just going to c/p the relevant part of the blog post but you can find it here if you want to read the whole thing. I have to add that she had a body type where I would not even have suspected pregnancy if she walked by me, even at term. And that I completely believed that although she entertained some suspicions that she might have been pregnant, she had thoroughly dismissed them, the way some of us do when we feel intestinal gurgles and think "that feels oddly like a baby."

10 minutes before the shift completed, we got an interesting phone call...they were sending someone down in labor. The catch here is that this woman hadn't known she was pregnant.

Apparently, after having her fourth child, she had begun depo provera and had been getting regular shots for 10 years, including during this pregnancy, uninterrupted. She continued to have monthly "cycling" with light spotting, which happened even during this pregnancy. At some point a few weeks previous, she had become suspicious of pregnancy because she had felt strong movement, but then her monthly bleeding occurred on time, and she concluded that something else must be wrong. She came in to the hospital in labor, still not totally sure what was going on and entirely unprepared to give birth or have a baby. We felt her belly and concluded that she was somewhere around 38 weeks, we couldn't know really but it seemed reasonable that she was at term.

She apologized to me throughout. For what, I'm not sure; maybe for not having prior care, maybe for not having her things with her, maybe for having another baby at all, maybe she was apologizing to herself and her baby by apologizing to me.

Her baby came quickly. Fifth baby, after all. Vigorous boy in a sludge of mec, looking 40-ish weeks old. Mom had through the swift (half an hour from admission and being told that yes, she was pregnant to having a baby) labor apparently managed to come to terms with the fact that she was having a baby. "Wun smol boy!" she repeated after us. After she'd delivered her placenta, she sat up in her bed, nursing and staring at her baby. "Gonna have a STORY to tell when I get home," she said.

I also know someone who didn't realize she was pregnant until around 30w, kind of a perfect storm of being really busy and perimenopausal and spotting throughout the pregnancy. She did recognize fetal movements for what they were, though, once they got strong enough, and figured it out then.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#20 of 42 Old 07-10-2010, 12:55 PM

I am baffled by that show too, but only because every pg have gotten as big as a house and felt like a circus animal was inside me. i can't imagine not knowing - and especially the ones that have been pg before!
i think with this group, it would be virtually impossible - especially the ones charting? There wouldn't be anyway, you could miss a pregnancy with temps dipping and misleading Af right? (I ask, because I contemplated the same scenario as the OP and wondered if a baby was just gonna fall out 9 months away! LOL)
Neat show though. I am sure there are some not so happy outcomes for some that has had this happen to - with no prenatal care or healthy habits.....

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#21 of 42 Old 07-10-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulaJenn View Post
I am baffled by that show too, but only because every pg have gotten as big as a house and felt like a circus animal was inside me. i can't imagine not knowing - and especially the ones that have been pg before!
i think with this group, it would be virtually impossible - especially the ones charting? There wouldn't be anyway, you could miss a pregnancy with temps dipping and misleading Af right? (I ask, because I contemplated the same scenario as the OP and wondered if a baby was just gonna fall out 9 months away! LOL)
Neat show though. I am sure there are some not so happy outcomes for some that has had this happen to - with no prenatal care or healthy habits.....
maybe not for 9 months but I HAVE seen it happen here on these boards where they get past where they should have been Oing the next month, no signs of O and constant positive OPKs before they think (or we demand) to take a pregnancy test and indeed, pregnant!

Most outcomes are surprisingly fine though, even with no prenatal care or healthy habits. Most of the things that can go wrong during pregnancy due to doing X-unhealthy-thing are just a risk of it happening and not even close to 100% chance of happening.

Plus, many of these people subconsciously make the decisions that are best for their baby (for example, alcohol suddenly does not taste good, as in my cousins case, and drinking every weekend suddenly stops)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#22 of 42 Old 07-10-2010, 02:18 PM

There's always a certain character from Mad Men, too... (not naming so I don't spoil for anyone who hasn't seen the show!)

#23 of 42 Old 07-10-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanca78 View Post
That is a crazy story, MovnMama! Tell us more--so you went on to have the baby? Did they ever tell you why your hcg might have been so low? Had you been pregnant before?

Sorry for prying, I'm just really curious.
You're not prying... I just thought my post was too long as it is!

They didn't explain the HCG thing to me, but I had been preggo before (did not result in a birth) and the same thing had kind of happened. I didn't test until 10 weeks that time and the results were super-faint as well.

I did have the baby, and he just turned 3 this past Thursday. My partner and I got married (mostly for the tax break, I mean, we owned a house together and had been together for years already by that time. It turned out if we married that December we could file joint for the whole year, which helped immensely with the whole money situation).

And DH ended up being a SAHD for a good portion of time. Now we are trying for number two! Nothing suits him better than being a Dad. He just needed time to get used to the idea.

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#24 of 42 Old 07-10-2010, 07:31 PM

It definitely wasn't the whole time or anything, but I had no idea I was pregnant until I was 10 weeks along. We had gotten married a few months before, I had moved across the country, had a new house and new job, so it was just a tad stressful in my life. I had no symptoms and because I had gone off birth control when we got married, I thought my period was just light because it was adjusting to the lack of hormones. The ONLY thing was, I had to pee a lot. People kept joking and saying it was because I was pregnant, so on a whim, I bought a test. I clearly remember the directions saying, "allow 2-3 minutes for results" but the pregnant popped up almost immediately (it was digital). That was a Wednesday, I went to the doctor on Friday and by Monday I was puking non-stop. LOL, I liked it better before I found out! The coolest thing was, I got to hear the heartbeat and see the baby at my very first doctor's appointment!

Wife to DH, Mom to DD (5/14/04) and our IVF miracle DS (10/12/12)!!

#25 of 42 Old 07-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Omg, what is WITH the OB's and MD's not knowing when they THEMSELVES are pregnant!?!? Kind of makes you wonder about the people we women trust to care for our pregnancies, doesn't it???

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#26 of 42 Old 07-11-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writteninkursive View Post
Omg, what is WITH the OB's and MD's not knowing when they THEMSELVES are pregnant!?!? Kind of makes you wonder about the people we women trust to care for our pregnancies, doesn't it???

Its easy to overlook symptoms in yourself when you are busy with watching everyone else.

I can easily see even a midwife not realizing it if all of the factors were in play.

#27 of 42 Old 07-11-2010, 02:37 PM

A friend of mine is a NICU nurse. Her DH got a vasectomy after baby #3. She is about 5 feet tall and weighs maybe 85 pounds. She was tired, gained weight, breast tenderness-you know the drill. She convinced herself she had breast cancer. Negative tests for that. She started walking everyday to combat wight loss. At 5 months a friend told her, "you are pregnant-go get tested." She waited another month and then finally...positive.

That's right, 3 previous pregnancies and a NICU nurse. The moral-always do your follow-up testing after a vasectomy!
#28 of 42 Old 07-13-2010, 01:03 AM

a friend and girl I used to work with was on the mini pill, and had AF back since she was about 5 months PP. She was nursing her 7 month old one night and called me because she felt flutters, but she did have Mexican food for dinner. I told her i get phantom kicks all the time and how I still put my hand over my tummy longingly. 2 months later we're out shopping with our girls and she starts crying because she's been working out like crazy and doing portion control and she hasn't lost (or gained) a pound in months. We stopped by her OB/GYN's office on the way home so she could talk to her. She came crying and in shock. She was 27 weeks pregnant. With a boy. lol
She's average weight and height, but literally a week later I saw her and she had a bowling ball under her shirt! Almost like finding out gave her uterus permission to pop. She had a c-sections at 39 weeks for him being breech (ugh. whole 'nother story) and he was 10lbs 13oz!!!!

~Courtney~
IBCLC to be & newly single mama to Ariana Raen 8/31/08
#29 of 42 Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arianascrunchymama View Post
She's average weight and height, but literally a week later I saw her and she had a bowling ball under her shirt! Almost like finding out gave her uterus permission to pop.
Yes this is what I keep reading, it's like the body holds it in until it knows it safe to proceed. Some sort of primitive safety mechanism.
#30 of 42 Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A close friend of mine didn't know until she was about 5 mos and HER DP IS AN OB! She hadn't had PPAF yet and was nursing her 9 mo as well as taking care of her two then-DSSs - 4 and 2 yo - who had recently lost their mother to breast cancer. So life was kinda crazy, she had a good excuse not realize it. Still odd that her DP didn't observe anything. It was her SIL who suggested she test because she'd gone back to being tall skinny waif within weeks of her DS being born but then had started to gain again.

That part of the story is understandable but what really threw their life into even more of a tailspin is she had PROM and the baby girl was born at 27 weeks or so. So she only knew she was pregnant for a few weeks! It was an extremely difficult time - her DP worked crazy hours, she was already a new mom to a nursling, she was looking after two little boys whose mom had just died (she's since adopted them) and she'd hardly had time to bond with the surprise pregnancy when all of a sudden she's living in the hospital tring to care for a micro-preemie on top of it all. Her DD is now a healthy, happy and huge toddler but my friend says that it took a full 18 mos or so for her to really bond and that it was extremely difficult to believe that this girl had actually come from her body and was really part of their family. She went from being a single girl to a mom of 4 in less than 3 years!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page