Natural progesterone support for luteal phase??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-03-2010, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know a natural alternative which is good for supporting the luteal phase. I read some type of oil is good progesterone substitute but forget which one it was. Im on EPO which seems to be making a lot of difference, but read you should stop taking that after you ovulate. So what do you all take in the 2 week wait?
#2 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 10:36 PM

bump! I'm curious as well! I want to make sure my luteal phase that is approaching soon isn't too short
#3 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 PM

I'm curious too! I am trying the OTC "natural" progesterone cream, but I don't think that's really gonna make any difference... such a small dose... I think it's for my mental health

Rainy
#4 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 03:43 PM

I think progesterone would only work to lengthen a short LP if you short luteal phase was caused by progesterone deficiency.
I had short LP NOT caused my progesterone.

EPO is not progesterone, I've read that it helps makes more EWCM around ovulation but that it can also delay ovulation. The only time I've used EPO is at the end of pregnancy to help ripen the cervix.

Before I start taking hormones like progesterone, I might get my hormone level's check via a bloodtest. The progesterone in over the counter is mostly for menopause, not for sustaining a pregnancy, so if you did have + pregnancy test with a progesterone deficiency, you'd want a prescription anyways - and it'd be a good idea to get that planned out ahead of time.

You can also take b6 supplements, which is supposed to suppress prolaction levels and possibly increase LP. A lot of breastfeeding moms TTCing have short LP due to that, although you can have higher prolaction levels without nursing (it would be one of the hormones checked if you have a fertility panel run...)

Good luck!

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#5 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 03:47 PM

#6 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 03:48 PM

I have to agree with Finnegansmom... I don't mind taking a vitamin (like B6) to try to help with my LP, but I'm not comfortable taking a hormone, even if it's OTC, without input from a doctor. That said, I have used a progesterone suppository the past 2 cycles, and it really hasn't helped with my LP. This cycle, I'm switching to a higher dose and an oral progesterone.

My problem recently has not been LP length. My issue is with a lot of spotting throughout the LP. I think the B vitamins helped me to O earlier and have a longer LP, but they haven't done anything to help with the spotting.

Callie Mama to Nate and TTC Baby #2
#7 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 08:32 PM

There's a sublingual progesterone called ProgonB that you can buy online that works well.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#8 of 11 Old 08-06-2010, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Im not looking to take progesterone suppositories. The hormone Progesterone in itself lengthens the luteal phase. Thats why I am looking for a natural thing to take which promotes your body to produce enough progesterone to sustain a pregnancy in the 2 week wait. I am taking EPO oil only for the first 2 weeks as I have heard you're not supposed to take it after ovulating. I had heard of something else, maybe flax seed oil? Or some type of oil which is supposed to help with luteal phase support and was looking to find out what that was.

Thanks for the B6 suggestion, I havent tried that. I was already taking a B complex, but picked up some B6 on its own today to try instead. Dong Quai I did some research on, and it honestly scares me so I wont be touching it

Im not in the US so I cant order that online stuff. Progesterone is prescription only here. Am really not looking to take actual progesterone if I can help it. Just a herb/vitamin which helps promote your body to work the way it should
#9 of 11 Old 08-06-2010, 06:46 AM

Vitex (chasteberry) sounds like what you may be looking for.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#10 of 11 Old 08-06-2010, 09:57 AM

I've tried it all. I had my CD21 Progesterone levels checked, and they came back low. So I tried B6, Vitex, Maca, progesterone cream. Nothing made a diff. Doc put me on Crinone. I was suprised that it didn't lengthen my luteal phase by much more than a day or so. I was told by different sources that Crinone won't lengthen your luteal phase, but just support it.

So, now I'm on my first cycle of Clomid and using a true progesterone insert. This was made by a local compounding pharmacy, and it's natural and bio-identical (non synthetic as Crinone is). Plus, much cheaper. $35/month supply vs. $300 for a month on Crinone.

My ob tried for over a year to talk me into using Crinone or this bio-identical stuff, but I refused because I wanted to try going the herbal route and see if I could get it worked out on my own. I feel as though all I did was spin my wheels.

Also, LOTS of studies have been done that show that the transdermal creams are not nearly as effective as the vaginal inserts. Also, sublingual and oral are not even close to as effective as vaginal because they have to pass through the liver.

Hope that helps in some way...

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#11 of 11 Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 PM

I know this is long after the fact but wanted to add for anyone seeking info that I had a short luteal phase after a mc. I chart my bbt and my temps were very up and down during lp so I started taking emerita natural progesterone cream from the day after ovulation and have not stopped taking it because I just got my bfp. I knew my progesterone was low because I was previously experiencing days of post menstral spotting. You must take it after o because I could keep you from ovulating and you must continue use for several months if u do become pregnant. Confirm you are not pregnant before stopping use before period.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page