Are ovulation prediction tests reliable? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-14-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister is ttc and has been using the ovu prediction tests from the drugstore for the last few months and has never seen the pink lines darken beyond a faint line as she approaches ovulation. Are those tests reliable? Is it a problem that the tests are pink like pregnancy tests? She bought a store brand (CVS), should she spend the money on a more expensive one. BTW, she doesn't seem to want to chart her temps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 08-14-2010, 11:10 PM

I have used OPKs for over a year in conjunction with charting and they have been right on the money for me. If the test is positive, my temp rises within two days to confirm ovulation. I have used both the cheap ones and the digital ones. My preference is the digital ones, just because it takes the guesswork out of whether the line is, in fact, just as dark or darker than the control.

Wife to DH, Mom to DD (5/14/04) and our IVF miracle DS (10/12/12)!!

#3 of 12 Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 PM

It could be that she is not actually ovulating....or she is just missing her window.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#4 of 12 Old 08-14-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post
It could be that she is not actually ovulating....or she is just missing her window.
Yes, this is what I was going to say. If she's only taking one a day during her most fertile time she might be missing the positive - Mine have generally been darker in the afternoon, so when I'm ovulating I'll get "almost" positives in the morning and positives in the afternoon (when I'm fertile I typically test with FMU and again about 4pm). Everyone is different.

But if they aren't even getting close it would really help her to temp to confirm that she is ovulating. OPKs are pretty reliable at detecting LH surges, but an LH surge doesn't 100% guarantee you're going to ovulate. I still got an "almost" positive OPK on an anovulatory cycle but know I didn't O because I was temping. So I believe that yes, they are reliable at doing what they're supposed to do, which is anticipate when you are most likely to ovulate, but they cannot confirm you ovulated.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#5 of 12 Old 08-14-2010, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
my guess is that the is not using them correctly to determine when she ovulates. is the using them the whole cycle? is she doing both second morning urine, and 6 PM urine to test in the very fertile window?

my suggestion: have her start using 6 pm (ish) urine from CD9 untill she gets EWCM (or CD 12 if she doesnt get EWCM) and then second morning urine for one, and 6 pm urine for another test untill they turn positive.

good luck to her!

DS-8/06 peace.gif
DD-5/08 innocent.gif
DD-4/12 loveeyes.gif
Due: July2014 shy.gif
semi crunchy, but getting crispier!

*** heartbeat.gif 5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40
#6 of 12 Old 08-14-2010, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

As I was writing my op I actually wondered if she was in fact ovulating but I'm inclined to think she is just missing her window. Her cycle fluctuates by about 3 days every month. I wonder if she's using them correctly...hmmm?
#7 of 12 Old 08-15-2010, 02:19 PM

There is so e women that they do not work for. In both directions, folks that get too many positives to be useful and folks that get such light or fast surges that even testing 2-3 times a day they don't catch it.

My Doc recommended testing at 11am and around 4-6 pm each day.

I'm my opinion if her cycle is not too wonky, and within 3 days is not wonky at all compared to some, then temping to confirm and just DTD every 36-48 hours from about 5days before she expects a temp rise till the rise is confirmed 3dpo is the best method.
OPKs are best when you have very long wonky cycles and O varies greatly (like by 10pr more days) and that schedule of BD can burn even the hap pies couple out. Or for folks that have to schedule an inseam or and iui and are not doing follicle checks.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#8 of 12 Old 08-15-2010, 03:24 PM

i love opks, and the best ones in my opinion are the ics (because they are like 30 cents each, and they work!) wondfo is a reliable brand you can get on amazon and ebay. they should be taken minimum twice/day, three times is great. they say the most likely time to catch the surge is at 2 pm, so when i am expecting it to go pos, i test 11 am, 2 pm, and 6 pm until i do, then once a day until they go neg. a pos doesnt guarantee an o, but you usually will, and within 12 hours of the first pos to 48 hrs from the last.

but if this hasnt already been suggested, she really should check out 'taking charge of your fertility' and temping, that way she can figure out if she is o'ing. if her cycles are regular, she probably is, but charting can give you a lot of valuable info as to what is going on.

Every good and perfect gift is from above.
#9 of 12 Old 08-15-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenine View Post
My sister is ttc and has been using the ovu prediction tests from the drugstore for the last few months and has never seen the pink lines darken beyond a faint line as she approaches ovulation. Are those tests reliable? Is it a problem that the tests are pink like pregnancy tests? She bought a store brand (CVS), should she spend the money on a more expensive one. BTW, she doesn't seem to want to chart her temps.
Well, without the charting of temps to confirm ovulation, all of this is academic, but there ARE women who get low (or no detectable) surges, maybe she is one of them. I've seen stories of plenty of women (on boards using IUI/IVF) who say that they cannot see a strong surge and just get a line that is lighter than the reference.

If she has no line one day, faint line the next day and no line 24-48 hours later then maybe that really IS her surge. Does she record a CM change to EWCM and then see the pink line after the EWCM gets there?

Of course, no way to tell anything for sure unless she is willing to do more.

Btw, a much cheaper brand than CVS is
http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/

Pretty sensitive ovulation and pregnancy detection strips, I swear by these!
#10 of 12 Old 08-15-2010, 06:08 PM

how often does she test? a surge can easily last, say, 18 hrs, so if you are only testing once a day, it's possible to miss. if she doesnt want to chart temps, how about checking cm and cp?

#11 of 12 Old 08-16-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLooking_30 View Post
Btw, a much cheaper brand than CVS is
http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/

Pretty sensitive ovulation and pregnancy detection strips, I swear by these!
Sorry to be jumping in here, I'm a newbie and don't have much advice, however I did have a question about these OPT's. I went to your link, Just Looking, and was just wondering..on the midstream tests there are different options for units..what does that indicate? What's the difference between the 1-9 unit one and the 50 + unit one?

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#12 of 12 Old 08-16-2010, 11:20 AM

how many you are buying! they give you quantity discounts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page