TTC #1 in our 30s -- September - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 146 Old 09-26-2010, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Birdie - welcome. I hope your stay is short and joining us helps regulate the cycle.

Married to DH since 7/08 - TTC since 8/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 146 Old 09-26-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome birdie.lee! Would you like to share an age or chart with us? Totally optional of course. I hope joining us brings you lots of luck!

Teetina
Expecting a little one in August! 
#123 of 146 Old 09-26-2010, 07:40 PM

ummm... I guess I didn't need to fret about not charting... since we got our BFP that still feels totally surreal! I had a weird hunch for days with strange lower back pain and a funny belly.
Good luck ladies and thanks!
#124 of 146 Old 09-26-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebirdgirl View Post
ummm... I guess I didn't need to fret about not charting... since we got our BFP that still feels totally surreal! I had a weird hunch for days with strange lower back pain and a funny belly.
Good luck ladies and thanks!
Congrats, Mainebirdgirl! This thread is exploding with BFPs lately!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#125 of 146 Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 PM

#126 of 146 Old 09-27-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mainebirdgirl, that is wonderful! Congratulations!

Teetina
#127 of 146 Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 PM

Teetina.. can you tell me how to quote? I've never done that before.

#128 of 146 Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 PM

#129 of 146 Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 PM

I FIGURED OUT HOW TO QUOTE.. SO YEA! I might turn out to be the thread keeper after all.

Yeah, MaineBirdGirl!! Congrats!!

And here's to O'ing soon for you Birdie.lee! If I can figure out how to quote on MDC - YOU sure can O!!

#130 of 146 Old 09-29-2010, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad you figured it out Taxlady. You passed the threadkeeper test.

My temp is down today and I'm spotting so I'm expecting AF to show up in the morning. I've been totally bummed all day so I've been trying to keep busy with little tasks around the house all day. Maybe I'll have a caffeinated coffee tomorrow to soothe myself. On the bright side though, my cycle seemed totally normal for a change!

Birdie.lee - GO GO EGGIE!

Tear - You haven't been around in a while... how is everything? Did you have a good birthday?

Two more days till Taxlady makes our new thread... what new smilie will she use next to the September title? Oh the suspense!

Hope everyone is having a good week so far.

Teetina
#131 of 146 Old 09-29-2010, 11:16 AM

#132 of 146 Old 09-29-2010, 11:41 AM

This is a fun group! Teetina - I was chart stalking you and was pushing for a BFP to round out the super list of BFP's this month. But I truly think that having a regular cycle is something to be about!

It took me a while to get over my BFN this month and I had to take a tumble on my bike and get scraped up and chip my front tooth before I could remember all my other blessings. (Bikes o.k., tooth is fixed, and the wounds will heal).

BFP's are happening all over MDC and I hope that I can be a fun and exciting threadkeeper to keep us all motivated, O'ing, BD'ing, and egg catching!

#133 of 146 Old 09-29-2010, 11:11 PM

Hello everyone! I'm 31 and have been TTY since 01/10 - very irregular cycles since stopping BC.

It is wonderful to read the BFPs everyone is having! Baby dust to everyone else!

I am not sure about charting, I was taking my BBT but it seemed to be different from day to day as are the OPKs (Very light when I finish a cycle then turn darker and stay that way - did have the result line darker on 09/03). So, today was 24 DPO? - I was being patient (my cycle is so irregular - 09/03 was actually CD 36 - long!) but there it was - BFN... I really thought this was it for me - 'different' cramping - one sided and very different. oh well...

I went and bought Vitex Elixir today. Anyone have any input on it? I would love to be regular or at least consistent...

My twins are here!  Thank God everyday for answered  praying.gif

#134 of 146 Old 09-30-2010, 12:30 AM

Hi Bel718 - its really frustrating to have irregular cycles.. but I think you will love it here with us. There are a lot of ladies on Vitex.. search around a little on the threads. Lots of people with irregular cycles and we ALL UNDERSTAND what you are going through. We'll be here for you and hopefully your stay with us will be short!

#135 of 146 Old 09-30-2010, 11:27 AM

Thank you Taxlady! I will keep looking around. Great to have understanding!

#136 of 146 Old 09-30-2010, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Bel718! I'm also 31 and have been trying to conceive since January. Spooky!

I'm not sure what you mean by your BBT being different every day, but if you mean that the temperatures fluctuate a lot, I have found taking my temperature vaginally to help a lot with that. I breathe through my mouth often at night and I think that really made my temperatures rocky. Plus I can't hear all that darn beeping underneath the covers so I don't wake up DH with a racket. If you want to post your chart, we can try to help you interpret if you like.

As for vitex, I don't really know much about it, but I'm quite interested in learning some more.

Livingsky - its looking really close to O time for you. Good luck and keep busy!

I'm just taking it easy today and getting motivated for another month trying. If I conceive this time, DH might get a drooling adorable birthday gift next year.

Teetina
#137 of 146 Old 09-30-2010, 03:53 PM

I know Teetina! I noticed that as I was perusing the boards :-) About my BBT that is exactly what I meant - they do fluctuate a lot and ironically I breathe through my mouth as well. I think I could start charting using that temperature (charting intimidates me a little bit; I've been using OPKs) - my DH slept through the beeps after the first couple days anyway.
As for the Vitex, a friend of mine was diagnosed with PCOS and after a year of TTC and the doctor telling her IVF would be the way to go she had a BFP after 2 months on it. We'll see - I hope it helps at least decrease my cycle.

Hope you are having a relaxing day! Hope 2011 brings a lot of drool for everyone!

#138 of 146 Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 PM

#139 of 146 Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 PM

So with the temping the "other" way - do you just put it there? My BBT doesn't beep and I mostly sleep with my mouth closed, but the temperature fluctuates so much in our house. Sometimes we sleep with the windows open, other times with the central air cranked down. Hmmm.... this has given me something to think about.

So ladies.. tonight when I get home from work, I'm going to try to make us a new thread. I usually am the last one to go to bed being in PST.. so hopefully, when you wake up - there will be something to be proud of. OR - cries for help to Teetina! lol

Thank you TEETINA for being an awesome threadkeeper! You ROCK!

#140 of 146 Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM

hi folks, poking my head back in to say hi!

wanted to put my 2¢ in about temping, i was never happier than when i switched over to vaginal temping, i was amazed how it smoothed the curve out. it also let me doze off on most mornings and leave it in place for the full 2-3 minutes that i have found actually really matter regardless of when it beeps.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#141 of 146 Old 09-30-2010, 10:44 PM

Thank you everyone for the info on temping the "other" way. Is temping better than the OPK's? I'm guessing I should do both. This should be interesting... Wonder what DH will think...

Hey Birdie.Lee! Yay for EWCM!

#142 of 146 Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 PM

the good thing to keep in mind with it comes to OPKs compared to temping is that you can really compare them they do two differnt things.

OPKs tell you when you are ramping up to O

Pros:
  • they give you a day or two warning, important mostly if you have wildly varing cycles and could burn yourself out BDing every other day for a very long time each cycle.
  • they dont require good sleep patterns or disrupting a family bed
Cons:
  • they dont confirm O, you can get positives and not O
  • they dont work for everyone, some ladies never get a pos, some ladies get them for many many days
  • they cost money each cycle

Temping, tells you when you actually O'd

Pros:
  • actually confirm O and sometime other issues about your cycle
  • one quick thing to do, free once you have a thermometer
  • lets you compare cycle histories over time
  • lets you possibly see when AF is coming

Cons:
  • does not give you warning about upcoming O (except for past history which can certainly be all you need)
  • required some amount of consistent sleep pattern and discipline with waking
  • daily temps can drive you nuts until or if you learn not to fret about them

in the end what you do will usually depend a lot of your type of lifestyle and cycle.

if you have a basically regular cycle i think temping is better to catch little issues and let you know everything is going smooth and to let you know good due dates for when you do get preggo, with OPKs only being needed if you need to time a insem or something like that.

if you have wildly irregular cycles and you have seen opks work well, then they can really help you narrow things down so that you dont burn your lovemaking good will out, but i still think temping is good to have as well to confirm things actually happened

ok i'll stop babbling now

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#143 of 146 Old 10-01-2010, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Adorkable! We miss ya over here and we miss all your expertise too. Thanks for that list, its awesome. I hope your pregnancy is going well and that your move hasn't been stressing you out too much.

I just wanted to add that even aside from better temperatures, I love vaginal temping for the laziness factor. I can just put it in and sleep in a little more and not worry about holding it in place. If its in my mouth it might fall out if I fall asleep again quickly hehe. My thermometer gives a quick readout after a short time but continues gaging my temperature for another while after and becomes more accurate so for me its better to leave it in a little longer anyway.

If you try it, just be aware the the temperatures are a tiny bit higher than the ones taken by mouth so don't switch methods at a time that you might confuse a temperature rise with an ovulatory temperature rise.

Taxlady, I know you're gonna do a great job as our new threadkeeper!

Teetina
#144 of 146 Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
hi folks, poking my head back in to say hi!

wanted to put my 2¢ in about temping, i was never happier than when i switched over to vaginal temping, i was amazed how it smoothed the curve out. it also let me doze off on most mornings and leave it in place for the full 2-3 minutes that i have found actually really matter regardless of when it beeps.

Hi Adorkable! I can't believe you're so far along already, and one of each! Wow! Congrats!

I'm a mouth breather so temping vaginally was necessary in my case in order to see a clear temp shift. But it did the trick.

As for OPKs, I have never tried them because I find them expensive and confusing. However, after charting for two-three months and figuring out my body's patterns, I always found I could tell when O was coming w/no problem whatsoever, from CM. Sometimes it took a few more days than I expected (especially if traveling) but temp shift always confirmed the CM. I did have to check CM internally--almost nothing ever came out on the TP, but once I got used to checking internally I found I generally had plenty (although it definitely can vary month to month). I would just carry little alcohol wipes with me to sanitize my fingers.

ETA: I have semi-regular cycles--they can vary by up to a week. O varies from CD17-22 or so, and occasionally has been delayed more by travel.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#145 of 146 Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 PM

That is all great info! Thank you all! It has been very expensive since my cycles are so long and the results are hard to read...

#146 of 146 Old 10-01-2010, 03:53 PM

yeah Blanca78, (congrats again and again darling!) like you my cycles were predictable if not perfectly regular and like you i checked internally and got pretty good at it. i O'd between CD14 and CD20 so it was not a huge range and CD16 or 17 was most of the time.

i did OPK for 2 cycles in the beginning and found them infuriating and never looked back

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page