HCG Drops for Dieting... Use for TTC?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone looked into using the HCG sold for dieting to aid in TTC?

If so, how would it be used? Which cycle days? How much?

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Bump

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#3 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 PM

No idea. Interesting question though.

One ecological breastfeeding nak.gif om.gif, married to an awesome dh_malesling.GIFintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif treehugger.giffamilybed2.gifecbaby2.gifhomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpgwhale.gif Our family is definitelymaybe complete! hale

#4 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah... but apparently nobody has any answers?

(Thanks for posting Tara2.)

#5 of 18 Old 09-03-2010, 09:39 PM

and if you took it would you test positive on an HPT?

Jenn (36), wife to DH for 13 years, DD1(13) , DD2(10) and DS(4)

#6 of 18 Old 09-04-2010, 10:11 AM

I just now am reading this post and I thought I would put a cent or two in on it lol.

I would think that maybe you could use it in the same way that the HCG trigger shot is used. But you would have to know that your eggie was ready to be released. I guess if you have normal cycles it would work best because you would know a range of days that you usually O on and then once you take the HCG drops you would poss. O 24-36 hours after you did the drops. Maybe that doesn't sound too confusing...but that's just my theory on how they might could be used.

And i'm sure like the HCG shot you would probably test + on a hpt for at least 7-8 days after you did the drops. (I know my hcg from my trigger shot was gone by like 7dp shot)

JUST A THEORY lol....

Brandy(28) mommy to Jayde (12/14/03) and Emma Mattilynn-Gail born 12/06/10 and Loving wife to DH (32)! TTC#3 since April 2011! Missing our little angel.gifs that we lost so early 7/11 & 11/11! Praying to get our rainbow1284.gif babyf.gifsoon!

#7 of 18 Old 09-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Just an FYI: The diet causes some sort of hyper ovary disease it happened to my friend
#8 of 18 Old 09-04-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hyper Ovarian Syndrome is one of the reasons I thought about it for TTC. Clomid can also cause this, and is regularly prescribed for TTC. If it can over produce eggs, I'm figuring it can help...

#9 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 AM

clomid doesnt actually cause the ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, i believe- it's actually the trigger shot. that's why if there are too many follies or if the clomid or whatever was given in the first phase has worked TOO well, the trigger shot is canceled and that cycle is scrapped. OHSS is serious business, at least it can be. but trigger shots are given at a certain time based on u/s measurements of follicle size, too. even if this did work, it sounds a bit worrisome to me. you dont know if you have a follie, if it's the right size to surge, how much hcg to use, so many things.

Every good and perfect gift is from above.
#10 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 12:37 AM

They use it overseas in IVF cycles - after O, of course. As a suppliment b/c IVF transplanted embryos are late implanters, hypothetically. U.S. docs don't use it, preferring to use progesterone to support the developing embryos. And b/c then you can actually use beta hcg results to diagnose healthy and threatened pregnancies.
I don't see a point in using a trigger shot style without an IUI to go with it.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#11 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Clomid isn't always used in conjunction with trigger shots, it is used alone fairly often. I'm sure when I researched Clomid years ago, that it can cause Hyper Ovarian Syndrome by itself. I think the overmaturation of eggs can be caused by anything that can stimulate multiple eggs.

#12 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Stevi you are correct:

I was on fertility treatments when i got pregnant with this little one and any kind of medication such as Clomid, Femara, and so on.... can cause Hyper Ovarian Syndrome and it doesn't take using a trigger shot for this to happen. The infertility medications help you to mature your follicles and you can ovulate those mature follicles (reguardless of how many there are) on your own without the help of the trigger shot. (I ovulated 20 something at the same time when i had Hyper Ovarian Syndrome) Trust you me, you'll know if you have been over stimulated also...I was sick for 3 or 4 days (like fever and throwing up), cramped worse than i've ever cramped in my life, and all i wanted to do was lay around (though the nurse said that me being active was better for me because it would help all of the fluids absorbe better in my system).

Brandy(28) mommy to Jayde (12/14/03) and Emma Mattilynn-Gail born 12/06/10 and Loving wife to DH (32)! TTC#3 since April 2011! Missing our little angel.gifs that we lost so early 7/11 & 11/11! Praying to get our rainbow1284.gif babyf.gifsoon!

#13 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 12:45 PM

it's not typical to get ohss from clomid alone, but it can happen because you do have lh. in almost every case, it is in women with gonadotropin therapy also in one form or another- usually a trigger shot, sometimes pergonal, i dont know what other ones they use. you can absolutely o follies on your own without a trigger, and be ok or have mild ohss. but if you have lots of follies, a responsible hcp will not trigger you because of the risk of severe ohss, which is nothing to fool with. it's also worse if you get pg that cycle, because the normal hcg exacerbates it too, in the same way the trigger hcg does, because it's all the same chemical- if your ovaries are overstimulated, the degree of ohss you are at risk for is related to how much lh you have or hcg- and that is made higher with a trigger, or if you get pg, than just a natural lh surge. bad ohss can put you in the hospital for a week, or worse, and a lot of very bad things can happen. this isn't common to have it that bad, but that's what can happen even when you are under the close monitoring of an RE! maybe since the ovaries aren't overstimed to begin with, hcg around o wouldnt be any problem. maybe if you are doing soy it would? i am only brainstorming here, because i do not want to see anyone get hurt, that's all. but risks of ohss aside, that still doesnt help me understand how hcg diet drops might help with ttc. i dont know anything about those drops. the only thing maybe i can think of is the supposed increased fertility post m/c, if it comes from something having to do with having that hcg in your system in the previous cycles?

#14 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Brichole1214... Thank you!

KarmaB... I was thinking the HCG drops might work like Clomid, by causing more eggs to mature. If that is the case, it seems as if it would be a help in conception, as just like with Clomid, you would have more eggs to fertilize. More eggs means more chances at success.

If I tried it, and that's a big IF. I would likely use them as directed for the diet, but only in the first half of my cycle.

I used black market Clomid in the past, and it was a big mistake. I took it incorrectly and probably wasted almost a year of TTC. I now research things as much as I can before using them.

#15 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 04:39 PM

i dont think that would work. clomid is a selective estrogen receptor modulator, like an anti-estrogen in a way, it works by blocking estrogen receptors, selectively, in the endometrium mainly, and in the pituitary/hypothalamus so that your body thinks it's low on estrogen and in the feedback loop, works harder to make more. that higher estrogen level and estradiol increases fsh and lh- fsh stimulates the follicle development, lh causes them to pop- "luteinize" as in "corpus luteum." hcg is about the same as lh, which is why they can use it to trigger. it wont help you make more or better eggs, it will help mature the ones that are already in development and pop them out. the closest thing to clomid that i know is soy, because it also is an s.e.r.m. of sorts.

#16 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Whether it matures them or helps develop them. As long as the result is more eggs...

#17 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 06:23 PM

I don't think HCG drops will help mature eggs. It will probably push up when the egg(s) you have developing will release, which won't really help you. If you use it too early, you'd just cause immature eggs to release, or you'd get no reaction at all.

Given, I'm not as familiar with HCG use in people as I am in horses, but IME, HCG is useful only in trying to get ovulation to happen in a specific timeframe, and even then, only if there is a good, mature follicle ready to go. It is not useful when trying to encourage multiple follicles to ovulate.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#18 of 18 Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 PM

hcg will not, not, not make more eggs! It will prevent proper maturation and make the single egg you do make pop early and be unfertilizable. It's always used in the second half of the cycle to stimulate pregnancy and make the bed nice for the blastocyst.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page