Hyperthyroid & TTC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After unsuccessfully TTC for almost 6 months despite charting and progesterone supplements to fight LPD, I finally went to the GP and asked for a thyroid panel. Some of the symptoms of both hypo- and hyper- seemed to fit, but nothing really jumped out as totally describing me, so I figured it was probably just fine and that breastfeeding was what was causing my cycle problems.

Just heard back that my TSH was 4.75, a little overactive, according to the dr.'s office, but enough to treat. I started googling, and read on http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/fertilitythy.htm that the author's endocrinologist thought a TSH level between 1 and 2 was ideal for TTC and pregnancy. Eeep! I am way over that number! Also, on this page I read that hyperthyroid issues can be linked to miscarriage, premature labor, and IUGR, and LPD when TTC. Although I was able to get pregnant within 2 months when TTC DS, I had short LPs--10 and 11 days. I also experienced IUGR during that pregnancy, despite having no apparent risk factors. So now I'm wondering if I have actually been hyperthyroid all along, but didn't know it.

So, do any of you with hyperthyroid have advice on TTC? Is there a certain treatment I should ask the dr. for? I just know absolutely nothing about this, but now I'm a little freaked out, especially about the IUGR. I certainly don't want a repeat of that (or to see any of the other possible side effects of this) in a future pregnancy and want to get fixed ASAP. Do I need to see an endocrinologist for this or is it easy enough to treat and control that the GP should be fine? Thanks in advance.

ETA: I'm looking at levels on Google, and it looks like mine are hypO not hypEr. Guess I'll be calling the dr back tomorrow to see how they came up with the hyper- Dx.
#2 of 16 Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 PM

So, I'm right there with you, but you numbers are slightly HYPO-thyroid.
Your numbers are high, because it take your pituitary to make MORE TSH to get your thyroid to produce a normal amount of T3/T4.

And I've read the same, as I recently got my TSH done, and have been ttc for over a year.

You probably want to start treatment on a low dose of levothyrine... That's what my naturapath has me on, anyway.

I have to go care for my munchkin, but I wanted to respond.

More later!

Mama to Little Beedust.gif born April 2007 -

Expecting a new little one in Mid-October, after 3 1/2 years TTC

#3 of 16 Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 PM

I agree that your numbers sound hypo - not hyper. My understanding of this is very weak (I was just diagnosed hypo myself about 2 weeks ago). However, it seems that you are catching this very early. It is only recently that the accepted normal range for TSH was reduced from 5 to 3 (and some labs still use numbers above 3).

Also worth noting, apparently it is very common to fluctuate between hypo and hyper - sometimes as a result of postpartum changes, but this can also be an early warning that you will become clinically hypothyroid (as in Hashimoto's). I had a TSH of 3.49 in May and it was up to 7.06 early Sept. In retrospect, I am pretty sure I was hyperthyroid after DD1 (3+ yrs ago), but was never diagnosed.

My ND says that she sees a lot of women get pregnant with levels above 2 (we didn't get into specifics). That being said, it must be safer (referring to the potential complications) to be within the acceptable range when TTC.

One of the first questions I would ask your Dr. if I were in your position is to find out about your thyroid antibodies (there are 2, can't remember their names). If these levels are high it is a good indication that this is a longterm, likely progressive autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's) as opposed to a temporary thyroiditis. From there you may have a different approach to treatment.

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted.

Loving Mama to Sparklesviolin.gif(05) and Doodle modifiedartist.gif(08), dog2.gif & cat.gif. Eagerly expecting a new little firecracker 11/2011!
homeschool.gif   homebirth.jpg   goorganic.jpg    wool.gif
#4 of 16 Old 09-23-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Peache's mom. I ran across campus to talk to my university md today (not the one who ran the test for me) to confirm that it would be hyPOthyroid. She was pretty (ok, extremely) dismissive of my concerns about TTC/pregnancy with slight hypothyroidism. She said she was surprised they were even treating it with it only being a 4.75. I did tell her that according to Dr. Google, the most up to date recommendation is a top range of 3. She didn't know about that, which also suggests that she might be unaware of the issues that can arise with pregnancy and thyroid issues.

She said it wasn't important to discover any underlying cause--it was just "chasing rabbits."

Once I see the lab report, I think I'm gonna ask for a more full-blown panel (guessing they just ran TSH).
#5 of 16 Old 09-24-2010, 01:10 PM

I think anything between 0.5 and 5 are considered "normal," I wouldn't worry about it if your doc thinks the levels are a ok Best wishes!

Jessica knit.gif and familybed2.gif mamma to dd 9/09, ds 10/07, ds 2/05, angel1.gif10/03, ds 3/03, dd 12/00, expecting #6  2ndtri.gif  in June 2011. Furrbabies: 2 dogs, 4 cats, and 5 guinnea pigs
#6 of 16 Old 09-24-2010, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I WOULD get this looked into further. The doctor that you spoke with is likely unaware of the new levels for thyroid dx. Many doctors who are not endocrinologists are simply using the wrong numbers and telling women they're okay when they're not. I was tested for hypothyroid several times and told I was okay. When I started having fertility issues, my fertility doc tested me again. My TSH was a little high. My other levels were fine, so rather than diagnosing me right away I had to take my temperatures on certain days of my cycle for an entire cycle. That was tedious, but it helped to confirm a hyporthyroidism diagnosis. Google hypothyroidism and BBT. You should find good information about your body temperature as it relates to hypothyroidism. If your waking temperature is consistently low, you are very likely hypothyroid. And even mild hypothyroidism can throw your body out of whack enough to not concieve.

Good luck!!! I am very much in your boat. I've just started treatment and am sure I'm not at the right level of medication yet. I just want my body functioning so that I can someday see a BFP!!!

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#7 of 16 Old 09-24-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming-duck View Post
Google hypothyroidism and BBT. You should find good information about your body temperature as it relates to hypothyroidism. If your waking temperature is consistently low, you are very likely hypothyroid. And even mild hypothyroidism can throw your body out of whack enough to not concieve.

Good luck!!! I am very much in your boat. I've just started treatment and am sure I'm not at the right level of medication yet. I just want my body functioning so that I can someday see a BFP!!!
Thanks for this--I will check into the BBT stuff. I do have a lowish BBT (always have measured low even on a regular thermometers--docs also never believed me when I'd say that "normal temp" is actually feverish for me). I have been charting for several months, and the highest my coverline has ever been is 97.5. My highest temp has been a 98.3 (on progesterone supp at that point). I regularly go in the 96s.

Since one of the GPs I see has already dismissed this as an issue, should I try to see an RE? Would s/he be more receptive to looking into the links between the hypothyroid and my fertility issues? I'm mostly concerned about this as it effects my fertility and then the pregnancy. As I said above, I had a couple of complications with my only pregnancy that are linked to thyroid problems--notably IUGR. I do not want to go go through that again (or make another baby who will likely experience negative longterm effects from the condition). And I'm not going to be able to fall pregnant anyway until I get my LPD resolved, and the thyroid might be a contributing issue there.
#8 of 16 Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konayossie View Post
I have been charting for several months, and the highest my coverline has ever been is 97.5. My highest temp has been a 98.3 (on progesterone supp at that point). I regularly go in the 96s.

Since one of the GPs I see has already dismissed this as an issue, should I try to see an RE? Would s/he be more receptive to looking into the links between the hypothyroid and my fertility issues? I'm mostly concerned about this as it effects my fertility and then the pregnancy. As I said above, I had a couple of complications with my only pregnancy that are linked to thyroid problems--notably IUGR. I do not want to go go through that again (or make another baby who will likely experience negative longterm effects from the condition). And I'm not going to be able to fall pregnant anyway until I get my LPD resolved, and the thyroid might be a contributing issue there.
This sounds like my temps. In my pre-O part of my cycle my waking temp is usually 96 point something or other. Post-O temps for me are 97.2 average. If my temp is ever up at 99 I feel absolutely awful feverish!

I have been working with a nurse practitioner who uses the Creighton model of fertility care and Naprotechnology. Basically, it's a method that focuses on a woman's fertility as a natural process and trying to support fertility naturally. She was more than willing to explore the thyroid possibility. And the protocol of checking temps is the standard protocol from the doctor who developed the Creighton model of care. Once again, you could google this I'm sure to see if you can find a practitioner in your area. They are not quick to use more invasive techniques and I will say that the process of fertility testing and treatment goes much slower with this method - one of the downfalls - but I think its because you spend the first three cycles just charting and seeing what's going on with your body prior to moving on to treatment.

I wish you luck. I can so relate to your post because I know that no matter how much I want a pregnancy it's very likely not going to happen until this part of my body begins to function properly.

Crystal (34) married to nursing student DH (38) partners.gif ,  mama to superhero.gif(7/07), brokenheart.gif (1/09), and rainbow1284.gifjammin.gif (7/11) and stork-suprise.gif (12/28) homebirth.jpgwaterbirth.jpg homeschool.gif
#9 of 16 Old 09-24-2010, 07:47 PM

Hi Kona,

I was diagnosed with hypo thyroid back in January but my family doctor didn't think it was a huge concern. However, back in April I went to go see a fertility doctor and when he saw my test results I was a 5.2. He said this can cause my periods to be out of wack and like you said from dr. google, it is also linked to early miscarriages.

So once I was diagnosed he wanted my thyroid to be under 3 so he immediately put me on medication. I did some research of my own and I found somethings to help me lower it. Eating brazil nuts definately helps, and I found working out 4 times a week for only a half hour a day works as well.

With even just these two things, I found not only did I feel better but I also got pregnant on my own.(doctor was waiting to have my hypothyroid lowered so he can put me on a treatment to get pregnant). Unfortunately I have to take a tiny pill for the rest of my life(including during pregnancy) but I think it got everything in my body back on track.

I wish you the best of luck
#10 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 03:27 PM

I just wanted to thank you all for your great information. I've had many miscarriages in the last year and a half after having 8 successful pregnancies (I know I'm really lucky/blessed there!!!!!). anyway, I was diagnosed wiht severe hypothyroid and I know nothing about it besides what I've learned online. I thought once I was on the meds and feeling good I'd be OK. Wrong. I had two more miscarriages after the meds. I'm terrified to get pregnant again. I had a reading of 2.9 at 6wks pregnant but then miscarried anyway. My last reading was 5.0 and I miscarried again. It's so frustrating. Anyway, your stories and information are just what I needed. Thank you!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#11 of 16 Old 10-06-2010, 11:17 AM

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which makes me hypothyroid. I would feel absolutely horrible if my TSH was 4.75. I normally need to be around 1 to 1.5 at the most. I think it would be wise for you to see either an RE or just a regular endocrinologist. Your TSH levels will change when you get pregnant and they should be monitored throughout your pregnancy.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#12 of 16 Old 10-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Those of you who are new to all the thyroid stuff, please, please read http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

The chances of getting good treatment seem to be slim, unless you educate yourself.....

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#13 of 16 Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anumaria View Post
Those of you who are new to all the thyroid stuff, please, please read http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

The chances of getting good treatment seem to be slim, unless you educate yourself.....

Thank you for this. I must say I'm losing hope that I will ever carry a baby to term again OR feel good at.all. The meds make me feel loopy and I'm just not doing well. Thank you again!!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#14 of 16 Old 10-07-2010, 09:34 PM

Amy - I am so sorry you are feeling this way. I am right there with you, feeling very hopeless myself most days. That being said, the more I read & learn there are so many stories of people who have been in similar situations and have gotten better. It just takes time. (I would love to know how much exactly, I'm getting impatient over here!)

Have you tried a gluten free diet? From what I've learned gluten intolerance seems very common for those with hypothyroid. There is a lot of good info online that makes a very strong case for going gluten free. Loads of people credit it with getting them back to feeling healthy (and many need less meds because of it).

Anyone else who has BTDT have info for us? I'm still very early in the learning curve myself.

Best of luck Amy!

Loving Mama to Sparklesviolin.gif(05) and Doodle modifiedartist.gif(08), dog2.gif & cat.gif. Eagerly expecting a new little firecracker 11/2011!
homeschool.gif   homebirth.jpg   goorganic.jpg    wool.gif
#15 of 16 Old 10-08-2010, 03:27 AM

Hi Amy,

I remember you!!! I actually left a particular forum because I just could not keep up... even though I was like glued to my computer at all hours.... due to hypothyroidism.

I am now on Erfa's Thyroid (like Armour) and have my life back.

Hypo has an effect on just about everything, even including one's spiritual life, can cause depression, etc. It is so hard and so important to try to find a doctor who really knows what s/he is doing.

I had all the symptoms but my labs were not bad enough for most doctors. Had I now found my doctor, I am afraid to think how I would be feeling now.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#16 of 16 Old 10-08-2010, 03:38 PM

Just for fun I overlaid this month's chart with Sept. 2009's chart. 2009 is prior to taking Armour thyroid. Check out the difference in BBT.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/244ba2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page