Nursing Mamas TTC October - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2010, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyKatie View Post
Do you guys adjust your temps if your waking time is off? I'm talking an hour or more, not like 20 mins or so...
On school days our alarm goes off at 7:00. My son usually starts marathon morning nursing in the 5-6ish range. So I've experimented a bit with temping to see how much it actually changes. I find that if I temp when he first wakes me up it tends to be .1 or .2 C lower than it is between 7 and 7:30. But if a miracle happens and they sleep a bit late on the weekend I don't find that my temp gets higher by 8:30 or so. So for me it seems to be true that an early temp is a bit low but a late temp doesn't matter so much.

When I get multiple temps in the day I usually chart the one from the most typical time unless it seems wonky. And I note down the other temps and times in the notes so I can take those options into account when I am obsessing later on if they happen to have fallen on significant days.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't been in here for awhile - it's been too hard to read all the fabulous successes when in reality we weren't really trying 'cause we were between clomid cycles.

I started clomid last night but my period has been very strange & I'm not 100% sure I started on the right day. I had a week of spotting before any real bleeding started so I counted the first day of my cycle as the first day of real bleeding & just ignored all the spotting - hopefully that was the right thing to do.

I REALLY hope this cycle works. We have an appointment with the fertility clinic in the city next month & after 4 cycles of clomid I suspect they will want to move on to the next step, which I'm not really sure I'm ready for. Sigh.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 10-25-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Updated List To Here

NolliesMama~ on the temp drop

jillybeans~ Welcome to the group.

jaclyn7~ Welcome to the group.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 PM

CrunchyKatie: I use both TCOYF and FF for charting purposes. I put all the "raw" data in FF (I don't adjust at all) and I let TCOYF adjust my temps based on time. Then I compare them. I take my temps at inconsistent times so it is interesting to see how each chart shapes up

Lifeguard: that this you get a BFP this cycle (and me too )

Jillybeans and Jaclyn7

AFM: AF is practically done. I am now Waiting to O and hoping this is my month and everyone elses too!!

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

Old 10-25-2010, 08:19 PM

That's a good idea, earth. I'm going to go do that right now. I didn't know TCOYF adjusted temps automatically... definitely curious!

lifeguard, Big hugs to you, hope this cycle is it for you guys!!!

sarahmck, I just recently started setting an alarm but I somehow managed to sleep through it this morning by and hour and 15 mins, grrr! I've heard the .1 degree per 1/2 hour rule, but everyone's body is definitely different so I don't know how accurate that would be for me. Off to TCOYF!

Katie
Old 10-25-2010, 08:27 PM

Lifeguard: That's what I was told to do with my clomid cycles. I always spotted a lot before af, and when on clomid was told the first day I had to really use a pad/tampon was the day to count as cd1. I always took my clomid 3-7 though so it gave me a couple of days of wiggle room anyhow. GOOD LUCK!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks Jill - that is comforting.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Welp, I guess perhaps I didn't O after all. After the most textbook signs of cervical changes & fluids, but no temping, I was positive I O'd. But that was 15 days ago. No bfp & no AF since, so I have to assume I didn't actually O! After what seemed an obvious ovulation, my cervix has been as firm & tiny as humanly possible, with no CF. There is nothing at all happening down there!

Anyway, please move me back to waiting to O. Per sarahmck's wise advice, I am going to start temping & charting again. We'll see what magical things a chart full of temps has to tell me.

Jillybeans, it is good to see you again! Good luck on your TTC adventure! I hope to see a BFP from you asap! The same goes for you lifeguard! BFP's all around!

earth-mama I hope this cycle is the one for you!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:10 AM

zjande - I hope all becomes clear soon.

Oy, I forgot (don't know how?!) about the insomnia with the clomid. I'm exhausted but cannot shut my mind down to actually sleep.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Updated List To Here

to everyone in the 2ww

Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 10-26-2010, 01:21 PM

Someone posted about short LPs and Clomid. I'm curious about this. I thought that Clomid was for people who don't ovulate, not people with short LPs. Do I have this all wrong? I have two friends who have taken it and I know for sure that with one of them it was because she and her doctors thought that she didn't ovulate on her own.

zjande, I can imagine that you must be very frustrated! Hopefully a complete chart will help you figure everything out.

AFM, I'm hopeful that maybe I'm pregnant. I'm on day 11 post-O (assuming that I got my O date right because FF's was definitely wrong) and my temp is still nice and high. I would normally have a temp drop or AF by now. But a day or two more will make me confident and prepared to test. I really don't want to test too early and get a BFN if I'm actually pregnant.

I've never managed to get an answer to my question about when I *can* test because of my short LPs. All the tests refer to the day that you expect your period or a certain number of days before, but I don't know if they really mean 14 days after you ovulate when they say that. If anyone does know, please tell me.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

Old 10-26-2010, 02:10 PM

sarahmkc--well, I'm no expert about pg tests. . .but I'll tell you what I know. And I know you want something definitive, but I think ultimately its so variable. Tests have differing sensitivities and each woman and each preg can have diff levels of HGC (some preg seem to have slow to rise HGC levels which can make early detection hard). Also, it has something to do with when you implant and not just when you ovulate-- as I understand it HGC levels don't begin to rise until after implantation.

Do you know your O date? I've certainly heard of women getting BFPs at 10dpo. . .but I think 14dpo is still the standard if you don't want a false neg. I'm just not sure about the LP length issue. Sorry you probably know all this and I wasn't helpful at all. But that's what I know. If you would have normally had AF by now, I'd test! Just make sure you get a very sensitive test--I've heard lots of good things about the Equate pink dye tests.

FX for you!!!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post
Someone posted about short LPs and Clomid. I'm curious about this. I thought that Clomid was for people who don't ovulate, not people with short LPs. Do I have this all wrong? I have two friends who have taken it and I know for sure that with one of them it was because she and her doctors thought that she didn't ovulate on her own.

I've never managed to get an answer to my question about when I *can* test because of my short LPs. All the tests refer to the day that you expect your period or a certain number of days before, but I don't know if they really mean 14 days after you ovulate when they say that. If anyone does know, please tell me.
For the testing: I have really really short lps and I always got a + around 10-12 dpo.

For the clomid: I DO ovulate on my own and always have. But I cannot get pregnant on my own (but strangely I still try each time...lol) For some lp defects, it is thought that the problem originates in the quality of the egg released, so clomid is used to strengthen the first half of the cycle. That works for most lp problems. A few cases it is actually JUST a problem with the luteal phase, and progesterone from ovulation works for them. Then there is the 1% where I fit in. lol! For me, I have a problem with both the beginning and the end of the cycle. Clomid alone doesn't do anything for then end of my cycle, but fixes the beginning. Progesterone alone doesn't help the first half of my cycle. But together they get me pregnant. This time I'm trying soy (a so-called natural clomid) alone for a month, then may try it with progesterone. If that doesn't work, I'll go back to clomid/progesterone (but thinking positively that that WILL NOT have to happen!)

Sorry that was a book, but there is your answer. lol

So. I started soy today. Here goes nothing! Come on eggies!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 10-26-2010, 04:33 PM

Aleatha~ CONGRATS!!!! A little late, though, sorry.

AFM~Everything is well, my u/s put me at my estimate of 6/14, but my EDD will remain at 6/10 ***sigh*** We did get some unfortunate news, though....looks like my right ovary is one HUGE cyst!! UUURRRGGGG!! Still haven't talked to the doc about it, but I've called twice! I do know that it was 1 cm larger and looked to be filled with fluid. She spent a lot of time looking at it, and imaging the blood flow, etc. Hoping I'm right since a cyst isn't too big of a deal.....plus I guess they can resolve on their own .

Best wishes to those in the TWW

Sorry and to those who saw AF.

Sarah~I think Cindy has more info on the clomid for a shorter lp thing
As for the testing....For the last 3 pgs, I got only light lines at 14 dpo(while charting) with a 10-11 day lp. This recent pg, I got a light line on a FRER at 9 dpo . I think it has a lot to do with their recent redesign. Realistically, though, the earliest ANY hcg would be detectable in your urine is 9-10 dpo....that's very early though!

Jessica knit.gif and familybed2.gif mamma to dd 9/09, ds 10/07, ds 2/05, angel1.gif10/03, ds 3/03, dd 12/00, expecting #6  2ndtri.gif  in June 2011. Furrbabies: 2 dogs, 4 cats, and 5 guinnea pigs
Old 10-26-2010, 06:09 PM

Sarah: Jillybeans covered it pretty well. I have a short LP and my dr reccomended clomid. Apparently you can ovulate and have a weak ovulation which makes the rest of your cycle weak. Clomid can stregnthen the ovulation and make your body produce more progesterone in the LP. I decided to try soy this cycle to see if I can get the same result. As for the testing, I think they mean 5 days before a 14 day LP. It really depends when baby implants though and that can totally vary. I always had shortish LPs before I got pregnant - usually not longer than 12. I got a BFN on day 11 with my DD. I don't think she implanted until day 10, which is late. I got my BFP 14 dpo - and by then I knew something was way up!

Daisy: Glad the baby is looking good. Sorry about the cyst. I hope it does resolve on it's own!

AFM: 4 dpo here. Nothing exciting to report. Wondering what my LP will be this month since I took soy and weaned on day 8 of my cycle. We shall see.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 10-26-2010, 06:38 PM

I'll be watching your chart Cindy! Sounds like we have similar cycles. Did you have any side effects on soy? How much did you take?

Old 10-26-2010, 06:57 PM

It's official. I am waiting to O. AF found me this morning and it's CD1 again. Good news my LP was 14 days!

cloth diaperin' mama to one little boy!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:38 PM

NolliesMama!

Quick question, ladies. I'm new to the opk scene, maybe you all can help me feel better about this?

This afternoon at 12:30 pm it was *almost* positive (which I know means negative) but I thought maybe it meant it would be darker later.
I did another at 5 pm and it was completely negative. Barely a shadow.

I am definitely having some O-like pains, so what the heck does that mean? Why would it go from so dark to so light so quickly? Maybe a gear up or a surge or something that didn't quite make it? So weird, these OPKs.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 10-27-2010, 01:44 AM

Babycakes: Maybe you missed the +? I have also heard that some nursing moms never get a full +. I do get + myself.

Nolliesmom: Sorry about AF! Congrats on the lovely LP.

Jillybeans: I took 100mg of soy which is supposed to equal 50 mg of clomid. I didn't really notice much while taking it. I think I did have hotflashes at night while taking. But then when O day came, I had the most intense O pains I have ever had! It was super intense and I was a wee bit scared that I was developing hyperstimulation of my ovaries and would need a doctor. LOL. It wasn't quite as bad as I'm making it sound but my imagination started to run wild. But after a couple hours I felt fine again. I'll be SUPER curious to see what happens to my LP. But I won't know for sure if it's from the soy or from weaning. When I had my progesterone levels tested last month, it was so low they didn't think I necessarily ovulated. I do think I did bc my temp had gone up and stayed up and I had had O pains. Who knows. Hoping this does the trick though - for both of us!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 10-27-2010, 01:46 AM

BTW, here is my .

Old 10-27-2010, 01:50 AM

Carrie, what time of day did you take it yesterday? Sounds like you caught the end of the surge. I have to test at odd times for my opks. I will typically get an almost + in the morning, a + late evening, and another almost + the next morning, meaning I surge fast and furious. Although you are still a bit early in your cycle. But you HAVE O'd as early as cd13, so it could be! I'd make sure you dtd (obviously lol) and I wouldn't be surprised if you get crosshairs for tomorrow or the next day. btw, my youngest dd is norah. LOVE that name.

day one of soy: No side effects at all.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:54 AM

Hi guys, I'm sorry I haven't been back since my last post (we've been sick and busy and now sick cycle is up again
I just wanted to update you that That Saturday morning my First PPAF showed up and it ended by Tuesday morning (lasted less than 4 days and my af usually are 1 week long...). Anyway, being this one as my 1st ppaf cycle, I still don't know when I will ovulate since I don't chart. Now I'm contemplating if we should try this cycle or wait until I go see a dentist. I haven't been to dentist for over 5 years (no insurance) and I wanted to have the check up and x ray stuff before getting preggo. My bio clock is ticking and I can't waste any time but I feel and worried that my body is not healthy to take pregnancy. I'm not sick but just worried since I'm still nursing and I have not been eating well...(and how would I even remotely consider tandem nursing? I hear it wears mommy out physically...). My 20 month LO is still nursing day and night (He rarely fall asleep alone without nursing unless he was riding in the van).
Congrats to all recent BPF!

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
Old 10-27-2010, 01:56 AM

If I want to start charting, where would I get a thermometer and what kind should I buy? (or what kind do you all use?)

~ Have a Blessed Day!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:59 AM

I don't know if I asked this before, if you guys get pregnant, are you guys planning on keep nursing the current LO and tandem or wean??

~ Have a Blessed Day!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:02 AM

Naturallyspeaking: You can pick up a digital BBT thermometer at a drugstore or a Target for like $5. I reccomend using the site www.fertilityfriend.com to keep track. It's free. Congratulations on your first PPAF! It's hard to predict when you will O without using OPKs when your cycle first comes back. I think I O'd on day 32, 18, 15, 15, 18, 12 so far. So all over the place.

Cindy

Old 10-27-2010, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
So, AF started for me today. Perhaps I was actually correct all along & I really did ovulate on the 10th! A 16 day LP isn't too far out of the range of possibility, right?

NolliesMama, we're both on CD1.

This is only my 2nd PPAF. I'm going to go pick up a BBT this weekend & dust off my ol' Fertility Friend account.

Daisy420, geez I hope that cyst turns out to be no big deal!

naturallyspeaking, congratulations on the return of AF! If it were me, I'd just run out asap & get the dental checkup, then go from there. If they take one look & say something like, "wowwie zowwie, you need about 8 root canals", then I'd probably try to delay TTC. But for the record, I have had several root canals during a few pregnancies. Whatever happens, try to get as much dentistry done before Baby gets here! I know from personal experience that it's a lot harder to lie in those darn chairs for dental work with a baby in your arms! Also, now that AF has returned, it's time to get excited! Start thinking ahead toward the next baby. That means eating right, taking your supplements, & get healthy!

Personally, I nursed through my last 2 pregnancies & then tandemed, and plan to do the same this next time as well. I made that choice though because my nurslings were younger when I became pregnant- 16 mos & 13 mos. My milk dries up during pregnancy. I want each of my babies to get at least 2 yrs worth of breastmilk so I try to make up for lost breastmilk time by tandeming. If my nursling was close to 2 yrs old when I conceived, I'd likely not tandem though... tough to say...
I'm going to use whichever cheapy BBT I can find at Rite Aid that has a backlight so I can see it in my dark bedroom.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 10-27-2010, 03:58 AM

Aargh, things aren't looking promising for me. I'm afraid that AF will be finding me today. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/15c6bc

In the past, I always had 10-day LPs. So by now (day 12) I could consider myself pregnant. But now that I look carefully I see that my three ovulatory cycles since my miscarriage are all very similar: O around 18/19 with a 12 day LP. So I need to get my expectations in line with reality and stop getting all excited when I'm on day 9 or 10 and my temp is still fully high.

The worst thing is that I've set DH's expectations too high now. Last night I told him that I thought I was "probably" pregnant. He's going to be seriously bummed. And now we're getting into an inconvenient time to conceive because of the summer vacation from school. I would like to be traveling in the summer, not sitting at home sweltering and waiting for a baby to arrive with nothing organized to distract my kids.

Wah, feeling sorry for myself.

Thanks for all the Clomid explanations -- you learn something new every day!

Daisy420: I hope that cyst works out to not be of concern during your pregnancy. As far as I understand they're extremely common.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 AM

Oh, sarah, so sorry. I always feel the worst when DH's hopes are high and I have to give him the cruddy news.

thanks for the advice re: my opks. I will be FLOORED if I o'd already. I took one on CD10, negative. CD11 am - almost pos. CD11 pm - really negative.

My temp did go up today, so we'll see. I had horrific O pains yesterday too. This will be SO CRAZY if I O'd this early! I feel like it's over before it began, lol!

Oh - and I don't agree w/these CH's, one bit. We'll see what my temps do this week. LOL.

my chart.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 10-27-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Updated List To Here

naturallyspeaking~ congrats on first pp af.

NolliesMama~ on af finding you.

sarahmck~ Hope af stays away from you

Jessica~ They won't do anything about the cyst when your pregnant. I had a good sized cyst and was told it'd go away forgot about it and at my 20wk u/s with my son they started asking me if i was bleeding and stuff, and i said no and it's because they saw the cyst it was still there. I luckily lucked out and it did eventually go away on it's own, but at one point they wanted to do lap surgery to remove it, saying bc pills wouldn't work in removing it.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:44 PM

Well, it's 5pm here and AF still hasn't shown. We're getting hopeful again, which is bad! God, it's so hard not to come up with all these little pregnant fantasies and excuses for the temp drop. If my temp had been high today I was going to go out and buy a test to use tomorrow, but since it was down I didn't. I'm too superstitious to do it now!

TTC is really very annoying.

User Tag List