40+ TTC Awesome Autumn for Starting a Baby Thread - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 293 Old 12-27-2010, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Does that mean the only way we can know if we're maturing and releasing eggs is through ultrasounds and blood tests? That means the power is back in the hands of the MDs. Drat!

I dont think even they can know for sure. The blood test only shows progesterone, indicative of ovulation but not egg release. Through ultrasound, all they can see is a burst follicle or a follicle about to burst.  By miraculously good timing they might catch the actual release of the egg, but that would be highly unusal. I guess if doing ivf, they can see how many eggs there  are relative to follicles.

its amazing really, because release of an egg is such a mystery, noone can know for sure. The only proof is actual pregnancy.

Im not actually taking progesterone this cycle, but i  still think i have more than usual progesterone due to  a higher number of follicles from gonal f.

#272 of 293 Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone,

I will be taking over as threadkeeper for Waturmama after the new year! It's very exciting for me to do this... I have "seen" and felt Waturmama as a nurturing, knowing, and guiding presence during her tenure and I know I cannot fill her shoes. I am excited to learn from everyone here. I read almost every post, think of you all often, and would love to tend to the technical matters of moving us to a new thread each season and adding to lists etc. I can also try to keep the conversations going if they lag, but mostly with questions! I have not concieved on my own for many many years (I'm very vocal about where dd2 came from, but in case anybody does not know, she came from donor egg IVF).

I'd also like to start a game, or ritual, whatever you want to call it, that will link us in our endeavors and I think gather positive feminine energy. I have a fertility goddess a friend gave me, that her friend gave her. I'd like to pass the goddess... send it on to the next person who wants it (needs it?) with a prayer, a note, a poem or a wish... a great joke or picture or sentiment. Anyway, you would sign up, we'd make a chain, and when you get the goddess, you rub her, share your note (or whatever you got) from the last person and then send her to the next in the chain. Of course the person sending to you would then know your name etc. We could also put in a map to see where our goddess has been to gather more of her wonderous powers. Is anybody up for it?

Sara

#273 of 293 Old 12-28-2010, 09:29 AM

Saw this article today of celebrities who have concieved over 40.   

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/health/2010/07/22/fertile/#slide=1 

#274 of 293 Old 12-28-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yay Buzzer Beater/Sara!! I think this thread will be in such good hands/heart with you. I very much appreciate your words about my threadkeeping. I took them to heart. I looked back and my first thread was last year's new year's thread--so my tenure was one year. I love your passing on the goddess idea.

AFM I am 3dpo and have had particularly high temps the last 2 days. I am hopeful that might mean a robust healthy corpus luteum pumping out progesterone after popping out a lovely healthy egg (for which we left plenty of sperm for it to meet). I am surprised how optimistic I feel after last month's pessimism. We'll see what happens.

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#275 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 02:25 AM

Unfortunately, the bleeding got worse, and an ultrasound this afternoon showed that our baby died just after we'd seen a heartbeat at the last ultrasound. I'm feeling so sad and I think this is the end of my journey.i don't think I can go through ttc again, and then, if luck has it and I get a bfp, all the worry and waiting. It's early days though, so we'll see. I was given the choice of a D&C, but am opting to let things take their course naturally. Who knows how long it will take. I have the option, should I want it later. All the best to everyone else.

Wife partners.gif and mama of five grouphug.gif,  Alfie angel2.gif 12/10  and Louie angel2.gif 6/11, CPangel1.gif5/12, CP angel1.gif3/14
#276 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 03:55 AM

Oh Gumblossom, I am sooo sorry greensad.gifhug2.gif

Whatever will be, already is...

#277 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 07:31 AM

I am so sorry to hear it gumblossom.hug2.gif

#278 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 07:38 AM

Hey Buzzerbeater, welcome as our new threadkeeper! Im sure you will make a good one. And thanks for stepping up! I like the goddess idea too.

Watur, it sounds hopeful. Peace.gif

#279 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 AM

I'm so sorry gumblossom.

#280 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 AM

I'm so sorry, Gumblossom.  : (

Sometimes acupuncture can make things move along more quickly, if that is at all of interest to you -- I sort of "induced" a miscarriage that way a while ago when I had a blighted ovum at 13 weeks. They scheduled me for a D&C the next week but I really didn't want to do that so had acupuncture instead.  The miscarriage started that night.

I hope you & family will be OK.

#281 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Oh, Gumblossom, I'm so very sorry hug2.gif

treehugger.gif Mama to 1 lovely DD,  angel1.gif 1/12 @ 8 weeks (ectopic), angel1.gif 1/14 @ 7 weeks, many chemical pregnancies, TTC DH'S #1, my #2
#282 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 AM

BuzzerBeater, I'm so happy you'll be our new threadkeeper, thank you! I like your goddess idea, too.

treehugger.gif Mama to 1 lovely DD,  angel1.gif 1/12 @ 8 weeks (ectopic), angel1.gif 1/14 @ 7 weeks, many chemical pregnancies, TTC DH'S #1, my #2
#283 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 AM

Oh Gumblossom, I am so, so sorry.  My condolences...  Sending healing blessings to you & your family. grouphug.gif

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

#284 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Gumblossom, I am so very sorry. Ouch that you saw the heartbeat and then it went. (((hug)))

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#285 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Gumblossom, I wanted to add, let us know what happens and how you are doing (if that is supportive). More (((hug))).

#286 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaturMama View Post

Gumblossom, I wanted to add, let us know what happens and how you are doing (if that is supportive). More (((hug))).

And let us know how your family is doing, too. It sounds like your little ones are wonderful, I hope that as they process this, they'll also be able to bring you comfort and support. Thinking of you! grouphug.gif

#287 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 PM

Hi, Mamas!  I haven't been in here in ages, so before I update, I just want to goodvibes.gif to everyone here.  And some grouphug.gif too, because I know sometimes we need both.

Some of you may remember me from last fall/spring - I had a m/c at 11 weeks (babe actually didn't make it past 8w) last Oct., and got a BFP in mid-March, at the age of 41.  Well, Paige Marie arrived a wee bit early on November 5th!  I ended up having a c-section. So far from my planned gentle home water birth! But I didn't have a choice - I had an anterior placenta previa.  I did manage to hold off the birth until 37 weeks and 1 day (the docs wanted closer to 36), as I didn't want DD to be labeled "pre-mature" or have to go to the NICU automatically. As it was, she was both heavier and longer (7lb1oz and 20.5 inches) than DS, who was born vaginally at 38.5 weeks via an induction for pre-e.

Paige is healthy and sweet, although she doesn't smile yet (nearly 8 weeks) and we have a hard time keeping DS from being aggressive toward her. Actually he alternates - sometimes very quickly - between affection and aggression, which possibly makes it harder.

I am still dealing with the failings of my body. Although it seems I am able to conceive easily, esp. given my age (4 natural pregnancies between ages 37 & 41), I can not safely birth them without medical help. A small issue in the long run in this day and age, but it still hurts. I especially grieve the loss of my home birth, as everything except the placenta was perfect. DD was even in the perfect position for a fast and safe vaginal birth. I do not know why I had previa, or why the placenta didn't shift (given that only the edge covered the cervical os at 19 weeks, we really expected it to "move" up as the pregnancy progressed, but it never budged).

Anyway...natural birth and a safe and healthy pregnancy are within your reach! All of us "40+ TTC" graduates are proof.  I do hope you all get your babies soon!!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#288 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM

Karen, thanks for updating us and showing us pictures of your lovely Paige. Your family looks lovely!

I know too the pain of a "failing" body- I had my birth tub in the garage and loved my midwife, but I ended up with a cc/sec due to pre-e, low fluid, and a breech babe to boot at 37 weeks. I have to keep in mind the beautiful babe(s- first was a c/sec also) I did succeed in growing... I still have the desire to feel a natural labor and delivery...  

Thanks for the hugs!

BB

#289 of 293 Old 12-29-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for stopping by, Karen, and for the photo link. Paige is so beautiful! That sleeping photo is so precious. Amazing that she was 7lb1oz at 37 weeks! Yay to you for getting her to that point so you could avoid the NICU. Good wishes in processing the birth experience--I both hope you find gifts in the process and am sorry you didn't get it the way you wished for.

#290 of 293 Old 12-30-2010, 03:35 AM

Hi Karen, I remember you from before, congrats, what beautiful children you have.

I am confused. I looked up impending menopause, and read the the cycles first get closer together with earlier O and very short LP, then they get longer, with some O cycles, and then anovulatory cycles with sustained low temps, and then eventually they just stop.

My temps are sustained high, my usual post O temps, but I am not pregnant. I am not sure what is going on.

Someone in another thread told me that my chances are in the single digits, and it I got meds, 20-30% chance. I am feeling very mecry.gif right now. Both of my SD are pregnant, and I guess it is time for me to just give up the dream. I cannot afford a RE, and it is not covered on my insurance, so, I guess I should just face it, and stop even dreaming.

I am feeling so bad right now greensad.gif and confused about my temps (I will be back with a chart. The chart is messed up because I didn't start temping until like cd11, and have not temped every day, but the temps I have now, are usual for me post O.

Whatever will be, already is...

#291 of 293 Old 12-30-2010, 06:05 AM

BelovedK,  i believe a cyst can explain those symptoms. I am dreading that myself. I have high progesterone and symptoms of pregnancy now (constant hunger, high temps) A cyst emits progesterone too, but  sometimes it doesnt stop and the end of the luteal phase, and just keeps going. In fact, those darn cysts can really mimic pregnancy. I only know this from googling, so take it with a grain of salt.

I know what you mean about giving up the dream.  I have given up almost all hope myself, but am just trying whatever options are left, with the attitude that it probably wont work.  When i first started ttc 10 months ago, i was shocked each time i didnt get pregnant. The pregnancy thing felt like my reality. But now, it seems like it will never happen. Donor embryo is my next option if this doesnt work.  

AFM right now, i have this constant tummy  rumbling, especially when i wake up in the middle of the night. Aversion to some foods i usually like, craving for salty food especially. Constantly cooking and eating. Tummy rumbling comes back not long after actually eating. 

Was supposed to test this morning, but i forgot. Tomorrow will be 10dpo. 

#292 of 293 Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 AM

Karen, congratulations on your beautiful babe! Thank you so much for stopping by to share the news and photos with us. Paige and your whole family are just beautiful! I'm so sorry your birth was not the one you had dreamed of, I know that must be really hard. hug2.gif  Thank you so much for the post -- it's really meaningful and inspiring to hear from a mama on the other side of this journey  love.gif

BelovedK, hug2.gif I'm really feeling your hurt right now. Re: the weird cycle... I agree it could be cyst messing with your hormones and cycle... I get them pretty frequently (had them more when I was younger for some reason) and they do pump out their own hormones and create a whonky cycle.

About the statistics, ugh. I know every woman has her own way of dealing with these, but what has worked well for me is to reframe them. For what it's worth (and forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir here), here's my thinking about that: First of all, if 5% of women our age are getting pregnant, that means some of us ARE getting pregnant (and the "graduates" of this board are proof). It seems logical to me that that 5% are the women who are taking care of their fertility through TCM, diet, supplements, mind-body awareness and stress reduction, etc.

Also, those numbers come from a western paradigm, which is not the only way of looking at it. The TCM view of fertility is that a woman is capable of becoming pregnant from menarche to menopause... any trouble conceiving before actual menopause (including during peri) isn't called "infertility" but sometimes "subfertility" and is a hormonal imbalance that can be re-balanced. The balancing takes times, which is part of why this journey can be so long. Randine Lewis also acknowledges that our 40-something-year-old eggs are not as healthy as they were 10 years ago, but she says that is only ONE factor (and in the western view, "poor egg quality" feels like the ONLY factor, like a death sentence, even), and we have control over the other factors that go into successful conception and pregnancy. She also says we have some control over the development of our eggs during their 150-day journey from oocyte to maturity. I know you probably already know all of this, but I'm telling you again because I know it helps me to have a pep talk once in a while! I know an RE isn't financially realistic, but are you already trying acupuncture, Chinese herbs, dietary changes, mind-body stuff, etc.? (And have you read The Infertility Cure? Healing with Whole Foods? Inconceivable?) If not, I highly recommend a community acupuncture clinic, where they have sliding fee scales based on your income (or on the honor system): http://www.communityacupuncturenetwork.org/

More thoughts on statistics... I also wonder what sample of the population those statistics are drawn from. Whoever is collecting this data isn't surveying the entire population of women in the US. And maybe that sample is skewed or non-representative in some way. And another unrelated but more positive note on statistics... Randine Lewis claims something like a 70% success rate for women who use the Fertile Soul method! I wish I could afford to attend one of her retreats, but I'm trying to put the pieces together in my own way (sliding-scale acu, lots of reading on diet and supps, doing the acupuressure/breathing/massage/warming techniques described in her book, and currently trying to find a sliding-scale therapist so I can talk through any emotional blockages that may be making it hard to conceive).

Take care and hang in there! grouphug.gif

#293 of 293 Old 01-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Happy New Year everyone...

New thread is up here:http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1288625/fabulous-40-ttc-new-year-and-new-hopes#post_16152950 

Would anyone like to share plans for the new year? I didn't make a single resolution.

BB

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page