Urban legend? increased EWCM in 2ww = higher chance of pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 3 DPO. I definitely know when I ovulated because I had the surge and we also did ultrasounds with my RE and saw the dominant follicle change to the corpus luteum.

I've never seen this before, but at 2 and 3 DPO, I started getting huge globs of really high-quality EWCM. Its insane quantities of it. I've been closely monitoring my cycle for several months now and know this is highly unusual for me.

Now, this was a rather unusual cycle for me thats why I'm not getting too excited about the shift from usual patterns where I know there was no chance of conception.

I'd read somewhere that post fertilization, the amount of estrogen increases and women can see higher quantities of CM. I tried to find a scientific source that stated the same and could not find one. I'm not sure is this is just urban legend or fact that 'fertile' cycles have a higher chance of having EWCM- anybody can comment on this?
#2 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 12:58 AM

were you by chance using any sort of medication this cycle that could have altered how your body works (even if you had used it a few cycles in the past, some medications can indeed change side effects suddenly after previous use)

Not to say that the EWCM couldnt be a sign. I dont know. Just wondering if theres maybe another explaination for it.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

No fertility-based medication whatsoever- all my cycles are natural.

I am taking synthyroid because though my thyroid levels are normal, I have anti-thyroid autoantibodies that offer a higher risk for m/c, but I doubt synthyroid could effect estrogen in any way.

OT, but your baby is so cute-congrats!!!
#4 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 01:16 AM

Thank you, I am a bit biased but I have to agree lol

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 9 Old 10-11-2010, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Fertility friend says that there can be a secondary estrogen surge in the luteal phase, and that this is more common in conception cycles. Estrogen is what causes you to have EWCM.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/Faqs/...ation-dip.html

However I think this is supposed to happen around 7-10 days after ovulation so I am not sure it applies to your situation.

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

#6 of 9 Old 10-13-2010, 03:11 PM

Follicles produce estrogen...so maybe you had a really big one whose estrogen lingered, or perhaps even had a second or third one (not big enough to ovulate maybe).

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#7 of 9 Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM

The myth was true for me. I had a lot of CF during the 2ww the month that I got pregnant. Good luck!
#8 of 9 Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyaffair View Post
The myth was true for me. I had a lot of CF during the 2ww the month that I got pregnant. Good luck!
Me too with dd.... Don't remember with ds

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#9 of 9 Old 11-01-2013, 07:08 AM

this was so helpful :) im so glad i found it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page