why id the tww different in conception cycles from non conception cycles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-13-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Can anyone explain this?

I thought the body acted like it was pregnant every cycle-increasing its production of progesterone which gives rise to pregnancy symptoms later on.
Why then, should a conception cycle in the tww feel any different to a non conception one?
Is it the hcg? And if so, would someone with stronger symptoms most likely have had early implantation?

Or does the hcg cause higher progesterone production earlier on?
#2 of 17 Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think a good ovulation will lead to more progesterone and therefore more symptoms. I think a good ovulation is more likely to end in pregnancy. So maybe that is why.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 17 Old 10-13-2010, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always read about the "good ovulation"... I'm just curious what makes the difference between a "good" ovulation and a "bad" ovulation? I guess I was under the impression that an egg is an egg and if it's released, that's ovulation and that's it. So what makes an ovulation "good" and what can we do to get a good one?

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#4 of 17 Old 10-13-2010, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Well, the egg has to get nourished before its released, and then the corpus luteum has to be in good shape to support a potential pregnancy. If either of these is off, then you can ovulate, but the egg quality will be bad, or if conception occurs it wont implant, or AF will come early before it has a chance to implant.

Good ovulation to me, means a nourished egg, with a good lining, and enough progesterone.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#5 of 17 Old 10-14-2010, 12:27 AM

four kids, and the 2 ww has never been different in a conception cycle- in fact, i didnt know i was pg with any but #3 until almost 8 wks.

Every good and perfect gift is from above.
#6 of 17 Old 10-14-2010, 08:18 AM

Lydiah - thanks for the response about what makes a good ovulation. That makes sense now!

#7 of 17 Old 10-14-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Why would a pregnancy chart go tripahasic and a non conception one not? Why are there some more exaggerated symptoms in a conception cycle, such as gassiness, hunger, sore boobs, moodiness, nose stuffiness, abdomen fullness (all of which can have other causes i agree, and none of which may be present in many conception cycles)
What brings those symptoms on, in a conception cycle?

Good ovulation/bad ovulation...i wouldnt count this, as that would mean all women with good ovulation, throughout their lives, would have pregnancy symptoms even if not ttc, an regardless of whether they had sex. Ie. good ovulation does not lead to pregnancy automatically right?
#8 of 17 Old 10-14-2010, 05:45 PM

I've had 9 full term pregnancies and 6 miscarriages. None seemed any different than the others. The 2WW didn't seem different to me. I always thought my period would start "any day" as I had the same symptoms for pregnancy that I did for PMS. I wish they were different so I wouldn't have to take out a loan for pregnancy tests, LOL.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#9 of 17 Old 10-14-2010, 07:25 PM

add one more conception cycle with no different symptoms- bfp this morning! but really, i dont think those symptoms are likely different for most in the 2ww. a chart goes triphasic, sometimes, because once the baby is well implanted, it starts producing hcg, which kicks up the corpus luteum into overdrive. progesterone levels increase and so temp goes up. as far as symptoms, i think we pay close attention to them, and when the cycle doesnt pan out, we forget about them, but when it does, we say- aha! i knew i was pregnant because i farted last tuesday!

Every good and perfect gift is from above.
#10 of 17 Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmab View Post
i think we pay close attention to them, and when the cycle doesnt pan out, we forget about them, but when it does, we say- aha! i knew i was pregnant because i farted last tuesday!
Congrats! And LOL! That is so true!!!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#11 of 17 Old 10-15-2010, 08:49 AM

Karmab - CONGRATS!!!! It's so exciting to see a BFP, this month seems to be slim-pickings (at least in the threads I frequent, hopefully other threads are having more luck). I hope you have a great nine months!

#12 of 17 Old 10-15-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Karma, congratulations!!!! I hope this one sticks for you. Wow, thats a couple of bfp's in such a short space of time. That has to be a good thing right?

I came across another thread on a similar topic to this one, cant find it, but here is an article it quoted (thanks Maurine, who found it) Basically the article suggests that an embryo may emit signals preimplantation which would explain any symptoms prior to that.

I dont remember tww symptoms in my prior pregnancies either (except the one i didnt want, but that may have been past the tww, altho, as i recall, i dont think it was)

Btw, i dont buy the whole thing that women just imagine this or that. I believe there are always explanations for how we feel. Not everything is psychosomatic. Sometimes its science, not us, that doesnt have the answers.

(my rant for the day)

Article on preimplantation differences in conception and non conception cycles:
http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/con.../12/2607.short

And another one that looked interesting:
http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/9/2272.full
#13 of 17 Old 10-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Well, good links, Maya. I've always suspected this , its nice to show a scientific confirmation. I read somewhere that hcg boosts progesterone production. High progestrone can cause the soreness in breasts. High estrogen is reflected in creamy/ egg-white CM.

The last time I got pregnant, I had sore boobs from day 1 past ovulation and quite a bit of creamy CM (ie high progesterone and high estrogen)

This time-my boobs are swollen, tingly and painful from about 4 DPO and my estrogen has been high (based on CM amounts) and fertility monitor readings from the start. I'm 8 DPO and praying.

This cycle DEFINATELY has more progesterone and estrogen- lets hope its because of a pregnancy.
#14 of 17 Old 10-15-2010, 11:54 PM

Did some research on sore breasts and this is what I found out. If you start having sore breasts and nipples a few days after ovulation, it could be pms just as not. A good sign is if the breast discomfort does not subside and the breasts continue to increase in size and are still sore even leading up to your period date. That is because there is an initial progesterone surge after ovulation to prepare for possible conception (leading to water retension that causes sore breasts), but if no conception happens, then the progesterone level decreases over the next few days, water in the body comes out in the form of increased pee, and the sore breasts symptom lessens considerably just before the period comes.

So I have noticed that in a non-conception cycle, the breast soreness decreases just before AF is due.
#15 of 17 Old 10-17-2010, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Count me in for different. This cycle I have had lots of creamy CM starting at 8dpo. I NEVER get that. Also, my chart went triphasic - another symptom that's not typical for me. And I got my BFP.

With DS I don't remember anything different but I wasn't charting and wasn't TTC. So who knows?

Crystal (34) married to LPN DH (38) , mama to (7/07), (1/09), and (7/11) and (12/28)
#16 of 17 Old 10-17-2010, 09:24 AM

My first and only symptom with my DD was my chart going triphasic... and just a "feeling"... other then that, nothing. Everything else felt the same but the day my chart went triphasic, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt because my chart has only done that once in 7 years of charting.

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#17 of 17 Old 11-01-2010, 02:18 AM

Just for posterity- I did have the creamy CM and the sore boobs and all those lovely 'symptoms' and then I did get a BFP at 10 DPO. I've had 2 cycles where I tried (both with BFPS) with these identical symptoms. For some people, I think you can get true symptoms very early, and I think it ties into that article Maya found, which says both both estrogen and progesterone are higher in conception cycles

A second increase in progesterone can be responsible for the triphasic pattern seen too, I guess.

As far as my situation goes, I'm about 5.5 weeks along now and super nervous because my last pregnancy that looked a lot like this ended in a missed m/c...wish me luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page