Lets talk supplements to boost fertility!! :-) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm ready to hop back in the saddle after a long break. I want to boost my vitamin/supplement taking too. Lets see, I have Maca and I have a good multi vitamin. I am thinking that my CM could use improving so I was going to get some Evening primrose oil. ( I have used mucinex in the past and it just gave me a headache, no huge CM changes) Also I was thinking of adding in Red Clover because I've heard so many good things about it being useful for fertility.

Is that too much to take in one day? LOL! Maca, EPO, and Red Clover?

What is everyone else taking, if you are? My biological clock is ticking out of control!! :-)

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#2 of 20 Old 10-21-2010, 12:55 AM

Drinking green tea is suppose to help increase CM. Add a b-complex supplement (for the extra folic acid) if you are just taking a regular multi-vit (I never take prenatals, just a multi and b-complex-the prenatals have too much iron for me.)

I also take Vitex when TTC, because without it my luteal phase is only about 6 days. Which apparently was long enough for me to get pregnant with DD, but when I'm actually trying to conceive I kind of want my LP to be longer.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#3 of 20 Old 10-21-2010, 10:16 AM

I've also read that zinc is important for fertility in both men and women (http://www.futurity.org/health-medic...ith-fertility/)

But you probably have zinc in your multi already.

Also, I believe that maca and vitex both work on hormones, so maybe it's best to take one or the other? Anyone else have thoughts on this?
#4 of 20 Old 10-21-2010, 04:36 PM

I'm currently taking vitex, a multivitamin, a b-complex, extra folic, cal/mag, a Chinese herbal formula from my acupuncturist, flax seed oil, and a fertility tea blend (red raspberry leaf, nettles, red clover, and oatstraw). The vitex, b-complex, and Chinese herbal formula are to lengthen my luteal phase. The others are just for general fertility enhancement.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#5 of 20 Old 10-21-2010, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am taking:
- food based organic prenatal multi-vitamin - for general health
- high vitamin cod liver oil & butter oil - for general health
- folic acid (5mg) - to prevent certain defects in baby.. most of the folic acid is in my multi and my b-complex
- evening primrose oil (2000mg) - to boost fertile CM
- B-complex (150mg B6) - to help lengthen LP
- Vitamin C (1000mg) - to help lengthen LP and improve absorption of B-complex
- At least 1 cup of raspberry leaf tea per day - to tone the uterus and improve chances of implantation & decrease chances of miscarriage

There is a lot more stuff I have looked into... red clover tea, vitex, green tea capsules, soy, the FertileCM supplement, Fertilitea, Fertility Blend, etc... I may eventually add some of these if I don't get pregnant in the next month or 2.

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

#6 of 20 Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 PM

I have been taking FertileCM and this is month #3 of TTC. I have noticed a difference, (for the better and so has DH) in my CM and hopefully, (since AF hasn't arrived yet) we get our BFP this month or next. In my research of it, I read that it is supposed to promote a healthy uterine wall. This was the main reason I started it because I had a Mirena IUD and they thin the uterus. I'm still not sure if I would recommend it for increased fertility though, (waiting on our BFP)...

Wife to Wonderful DH, mother to fabulous DD of 4 and Baby Dancing TTC #2 since Aug '10!
#7 of 20 Old 10-22-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookemw85 View Post
In my research of it, I read that it is supposed to promote a healthy uterine wall. This was the main reason I started it because I had a Mirena IUD and they thin the uterus. I'm still not sure if I would recommend it for increased fertility though, (waiting on our BFP)...
Well that's good to know! I have a mirena IUD and I plan to take it out in April (TTC in June/July.) Maybe I'll start taking the FertileCM when I take the IUD out.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#8 of 20 Old 10-23-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post
Drinking green tea is suppose to help increase CM.
Found this out IRL after I upped my intake of this tea to daily. We are not actively TTC but it was very obvious when the best time would be. That along with a handful of normal but high quality health store vitamins and a clean diet.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#9 of 20 Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
#10 of 20 Old 10-25-2010, 07:28 PM

When I got pregnant with my son I was taking:

Prenatal Vitamins
Vitamin C
Fish Oil
Borage Oil (a higher potency GLA, the same ingredient in EPO)

The borage oil made a drastic improvement on my CM, tons of ewcf. It was awesome. I didn't take it this time around (TTC right now), but have a bottle on hand just in case I need it.

ahhh to be able to think well enough to create a clever signature.sleeping.gif someday i will have enough sleep to accomplish this task...

Janae, mama to X (1/09) & X (7/11) and wife to J (since 9/96!)  Homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby (and toddler) wearing, co-sleeping, lactivist, intactivist. luxlove.gif

#11 of 20 Old 10-25-2010, 07:42 PM

My typical regime when ttc is:
green tea, at least two strong cups a day
2000mg epo until O (these two things really improve my cm)
100mg b6 for luteal phase defect (ugh)
prenatal vitamin, i like rainbow light vegan once daily
fish/and/or flax oil, for general health, also helps with cm
extra water for cm.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#12 of 20 Old 10-25-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm on cycle day 3 and have been taking my maca starting a few days ago. I'm having trouble remembering to take my multi though cause I want to take it at bedtime. But I'm usually too sleepy. LOL
Tomorrow I am going to go buy some Evening Primrose Oil. I tried green tea way back in the day and it didnt seem to help as much as the mucinex, but the mucinex gave me a headache from hell. So I'm ready to try something new. If I can work it in my schedule. At this rate I'll be eating and taking vitamins every few hours. Hahaha. All very worth it in the end. :-)

Also, I wanted to mention that I had the paraguard IUD for 6 years. I wonder if it made my uterine wall thin. I wonder if it had some effect on my cervical mucous. Hmmmm. Thoughts to ponder as I wait to ovulate. LOL!

Baby dust!!!

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#13 of 20 Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 PM

I always thought I had good ewcm, but then about six weeks ago I started taking 100 mg B6 daily in addition to the prenatal that I already was taking. This cycle I noticed a HUGE difference in my ewcm - the best way I can describe it is "gushing". If it had been AF instead of CM I'd have doubled up (tampons and pads!) - there was absolutely no wondering of "hmm... this looks about right", lol.

Wife to my best friend since 12/07, Mom to David (6/09), and joyfully anticipating the arrival of blessing #2 around July 6, 2011joy.gif
#14 of 20 Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 PM

Does anyone know if you can have too much B6? I mean, I'm sure you can but I"m getting conflicting info from Dr. Google, LOL.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#15 of 20 Old 11-01-2010, 08:52 PM

@ekblad9: from what I remember, high doses of food-based B6 don't have significant side effects, but high doses of supplemental B6 can cause nerve damage/nerve toxicity in the arms and legs... not sure what the effects would be on ttc though!

I'm taking fish oil, evening primrose oil, a B-complex, folic acid, spirulina (not for fertility, just because I've been taking it so long and feel crappy without it!), and Co-Q10. Not sure on quantities though - whatever is written on the bottles!! I'm thinking about taking a low-dose kelp supplement, not for fertility, but because I'm borderline hypothyroid, but am still researching that one. Oh, I also drink a lot of green tea - but that's just because I like it!!
#16 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad9 View Post
Does anyone know if you can have too much B6? I mean, I'm sure you can but I"m getting conflicting info from Dr. Google, LOL.
I took 200mg back when I was ttc dd1 and I had a lot of tingling in my appendages. When I reduced the amount it went away.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#17 of 20 Old 11-02-2010, 03:15 PM

For those of you still BFing & TTCing--what do you take?
And if you are still BFing--how old is your LO and how often do they nurse?

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#18 of 20 Old 11-04-2010, 10:41 AM

I am breastfeeding my daughter for almost 3 years. I'm trying to conceive since July, this is my 3rd attempt (really long cycles).
I'm taking maca and EveCare (http://www.himalayahealthcare.com/products/evecare.htm).
I also try to eat healthy. I've been doing that ever since my daughter started on solids.

34 yr old mommy to Marina (4 Dec 07), excited for #2 in late March!
#19 of 20 Old 11-05-2010, 01:44 PM

Ohhh interesting thread. I'm currently only taking "general TTC health" type supplements: New Chapter Organics prenatal, Calcium/D/K blend, extra Folic Acid, fish oil, and Choline/Insolitol. I've also been taking cell salts "bioplasma" blend for a while, but again, that's just for general health reasons. I also drink green and RRL teas, but that's just because I love them

I'm really curious if I should start taking another, fertility-specific supplement to try and help (this is our 3rd cycle trying, and right now I'm waiting to see if AF shows up on time today...we'll see!). But I don't really have anything "wrong". I have normal length cycles, I have CM (okay not a TON, but I definitely have some).

What would you guys recommend?

Mac + Nick Expecting someone new in late June 2014.  Remembering our 3    1 * * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * *  40 * * 43
#20 of 20 Old 11-05-2010, 02:05 PM

Careful with teh B6. It can actually delay O for many people. I took it only AFTER o and it still helped my LP.
Ekblad, 100 is usually plenty. I wouldn't go over 200.

Also, make sure your vit C has bioflavenoids, (most do.) Otherwise it might actually hurt conception, if you take a lot of it.

I second the vitex, folic acid and green tea. Avoid caffeine.

Sigh. I always end up needing clomid in the end anyways...

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page