TTC on soy group - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 118 Old 12-05-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was thinking maybe there should be a group for women who are trying to conceive on soy.  You know, so we could all share our experiences AS we're on it.  Who is with me?

This is my 9th cycle trying to conceive #2 and my first cycle using soy.  I am on CD 7 which is my 3rd day taking soy.  I'm taking 40mg.  So far I've been super emotional and a bit nauseous at times, but overall things are going well.

I hope I can get a couple more "sisters" to share this journey with!  Blessings.

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#2 of 118 Old 12-06-2010, 03:34 AM

Also using it... I'm 10-11dpo on my first cycle using it. I used 120mg CD 3-7... I O'd at my normal time with it, but the rise was clear and sharp like it was possibly stronger. I am normally a slow riser. I'm not feeling too confident that my temp is going to rebound tomorrow... thinking AF is probably on her way. I will be using it again though. I think I will try a "boost" of a little more at the end this time though. It caused some SERIOUS moodiness around CD 10-12 for me though so DH isn't happy about me doing it again... but I'm only trying it for 2 more cycles then quitting... so he can just deal with it. :)

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#3 of 118 Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

I was wondering if I would get moody later on.  So far I've only been pretty emotional, but not too hard to live with.  LOL

I hope you get good news in a couple of days!  Keep me posted!

Also, what is the extra dose at the end of the five days supposed to do?  I haven't heard of that before.

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#4 of 118 Old 12-06-2010, 08:14 AM

A few women on my secondary infertility board have tried the higher boost and got a BFP... something about giving one last super boost to give a stronger O... I don't know really, but it seems to be working for them. :) 

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#5 of 118 Old 12-06-2010, 10:09 AM

I tried soy for the first time this cycle. 100mg/day CD4-8.

I had high hopes it would make my body ovulate sooner, but I'm on CD30 now with still no O! That's the latest I've ever charted (CD24 is "normal" nowadays, though I used to have 30-ish day cycles). I'm wondering if it could be the soy. I really want to believe in it, but after this I'm not sure I want to take it again.

Though if I get pregnant this cycle, I will take it all back and swear to the magical effects of soy. winky.gif

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

#6 of 118 Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I really think that with Soy sometimes less is more. My first try was 75 mg CD4-8. Some women say that had good luck with 40 mg. This time I did 60, 60, 60, 75, 90 mg starting at CD 2. I am now CD 18. I have had really good quality EWCM for 5 days now and a soft high open cervix for 4 days. I am hoping to ovulate in a couple more days. I will not be testing till after Xmas. I want to enjoy my Xmas and not fret over whether or not I am pregnant and whether or not I will lose it.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#7 of 118 Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 AM

double post.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#8 of 118 Old 12-06-2010, 12:01 PM

Lydiah, I was thinking the same thing, but my pills are 100mg each. I couldn't have taken a lower dose really. They don't have many choices around here, so I was happy just to find any soy isoflavones. They had to be shipped internationally and cost a small fortune, too.

My ovaries have felt really sore this cycle, so maybe the soy is doing something. Maybe this longer cycle was just a coincidence. But since it's CD30 with no ovulation, I'm just worried, you know?

In any case, I think I will ovulate finally tomorrow (my body has tried and failed 2x this cycle already, I think, based on + OPKs and EWCM patterns). Yesterday's OPK was really dark, though, and I tend to O 2 days after the last +.

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

#9 of 118 Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

I really hope the soy doesn't make me ovulate any later.  I usually O around CD20 as it is and my cycles are normally around 32-35 days.  I'm really hoping that it moves O up, but if not, I'd be happy with just a BFP later on.  :)

#10 of 118 Old 12-06-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

If it doesn't work this cycle just taking 40mg for the 5 days, I'll give the extra boost a try at the end next time.  I think I'm going to give soy a chance for 3 or 4 cycles and by then it'd be a year of ttc so we'll have to reevaluate our options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached2Elijah View Post

A few women on my secondary infertility board have tried the higher boost and got a BFP... something about giving one last super boost to give a stronger O... I don't know really, but it seems to be working for them. :) 

#11 of 118 Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone else have random spotting while on soy?  I have had a teeny tiny amount of pink in my CM for the past 2 days (days 3 and 4 of taking soy).  I'm hoping that it means it's working!

#12 of 118 Old 12-07-2010, 03:33 AM

Well, it definitely didn't work this cycle... my temp plummeted right on time and AF will make her appearance tomorrow... Gotta pick myself up again to try again... Hopefully I will be up for it by CD 3 to start the soy again. :(

#13 of 118 Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached2Elijah View Post

Well, it definitely didn't work this cycle... my temp plummeted right on time and AF will make her appearance tomorrow... Gotta pick myself up again to try again... Hopefully I will be up for it by CD 3 to start the soy again. :(

OH, no! That stinks. :(

I'm taking soy, too. I took 60 mg CD 3-6 and then 120 on CD 7. My cervix softened and opened way earlier this cycle (and stayed that way until O) and my temps were much lower than they normally are. My post O temps have been less than stellar so far, though. I'm hoping they go up in the next few days.

MommyMatsumoto - Have you seen the other (really long) soy thread?

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#14 of 118 Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

A2E - Big ((HUGS)).  Maybe your body just needed one cycle to adjust to the soy and the next one will be IT.  I'll be praying for you, hun.

Lavatea - Yes, I've seen it and it's really long.  I kind of wanted to talk to women who are in the midst of using soy so that we can support each other daily.

I don't check my cervix, but the weird thing this cycle is that my temps are much higher than normal in the follicular phase.  They were higher even before I started taking the soy.  I'm curious to see if the soy will cause my temps to be a lot more elevated during the luteal phase as well or if it will just be a little jump.  I'm only on CD9 right now and usually O around CD20 so I've got a ways to go to find out.

Hang in there, ladies!!

#15 of 118 Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMatsumoto View Post

A2E - Big ((HUGS)).  Maybe your body just needed one cycle to adjust to the soy and the next one will be IT.  I'll be praying for you, hun.

Lavatea - Yes, I've seen it and it's really long.  I kind of wanted to talk to women who are in the midst of using soy so that we can support each other daily.

I don't check my cervix, but the weird thing this cycle is that my temps are much higher than normal in the follicular phase.  They were higher even before I started taking the soy.  I'm curious to see if the soy will cause my temps to be a lot more elevated during the luteal phase as well or if it will just be a little jump.  I'm only on CD9 right now and usually O around CD20 so I've got a ways to go to find out.

Hang in there, ladies!!

That's fine by me! I just wondered if you had read through it. There's a lot of good and interesting experiences in there.

Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#16 of 118 Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 AM

Hi!  I'm starting on my first cycle using soy this month.  I'm on CD 5, so will be taking my second dose this evening.  I'm doing days 4-7 at 40mg, then day 8 at 80mg.  Not sure why I'm doing it that way...just seemed like a nice "middle ground" dosage and timing-wise.  

I was an egg donor last year, and both times that I did it, I hyperstimulated ALOT with the hormones they gave me....as in, I threw off 25 eggs both times.  So, I'm a bit concerned about taking something that may make me ovulate more eggs.  But since I'm taking it relatively late in my pre-O stage, my hope is that it just makes one or two eggs REALLY look good and mature.  That's the hope at least!

Mac + Nick Expecting someone new in late June 2014.  Remembering our 3    1 * * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * *  40 * * 43
#17 of 118 Old 12-09-2010, 06:23 PM

Hi ladies.  I'm on CD 7.  I took 40 mg in the morning for CD 4, 5, and 6 and 80 this morning, and will take 80 tomorrow morning.  I was seriously emotional today over some mildly annoying DH stuff.  I mean, most days it would have been mildly annoying, but today at school I was feeling incredibly sorry for myself and getting all splotchy-faced and teary-eyed.  I think this is the soy.  I hope it does something good for me. 

I take soy because I've been O'ing a little late and my LP could be a little longer. Last cycle (40 mg CD 4-8) I think all my symptoms were more pronounced, but my dates didn't change much. 

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#18 of 118 Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 AM

Taking soy on CD 2 instead of CD 4 made me ovulate on time instead of 3 days late. I had lots of EWCM and my cervix was soft high and open for 5 days. I had lots of O pains and O symptoms like sore nipples, bloating, and even some queasiness from the hormones. This was a good strong ovulation.

#19 of 118 Old 12-11-2010, 03:57 AM

Okay, so I took 160mg of soy last night... 120 didn't do squat for me last month so thought I would up the dosage... yeah, not a good idea. I woke up sweating and clammy with a headache from HELL!  I took 3 ibuprofen and went back to sleep so I couldn't temp this morning (usually start on CD 4 or so) ... I'm going to try the "less is more" route for the next 3 days with 80mg then boost up to 120 on CD 7.... think that will be okay even know I took 160mg last night? .... I don't know that this soy is helping me at all and this will be the last month I do it unless it does something AMAZING this month.... I'd rather get a BFP though. :)

#20 of 118 Old 12-11-2010, 03:57 PM

A2E - Ouch, that sounds rough.  I took 40mg my first night, and the nausea / hot flashes actually woke me up form a sound sleep.  I can't imagine what 160mg would feel like....yikes.  Hopefully it will just settle back down and you'll be able to figure out the perfect amount for you body.  Good luck!

Mac + Nick Expecting someone new in late June 2014.  Remembering our 3    1 * * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * *  40 * * 43
#21 of 118 Old 12-11-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

I'm totally with you all regarding the emotion and the nausea.  I'm CD13 here... took 40mg soy on CDs 5-9.  I've been an emotional wreck ever since and have had nausea for at least a couple of hours every day.  Yesterday I had lots of cramping and there were 3 days straight where I had a bit of pink in my CM.  I really hope all of this means that it's working!!

A2E - Yikes!  Have you tried maybe scaling it back to 40mg?  Then if that doesn't work you could up the dose.  I don't know much about how the varying dosages work, but I have heard that less is more.  The 40mg is making me weird enough... can't imagine what 4x that would do!  Keep us posted.

Anyone testing soon? 

I'm still waiting to O.  I'm going to be apart from my hubby until Monday (CD15) so I'm hoping that O holds off until after that.

#22 of 118 Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:

I'm totally with you all regarding the emotion and the nausea.  I'm CD13 here... took 40mg soy on CDs 5-9.  I've been an emotional wreck ever since and have had nausea for at least a couple of hours every day.  Yesterday I had lots of cramping and there were 3 days straight where I had a bit of pink in my CM.  I really hope all of this means that it's working!!

A2E - Yikes!  Have you tried maybe scaling it back to 40mg?  Then if that doesn't work you could up the dose.  I don't know much about how the varying dosages work, but I have heard that less is more.  The 40mg is making me weird enough... can't imagine what 4x that would do!  Keep us posted.

Anyone testing soon? 

I'm still waiting to O.  I'm going to be apart from my hubby until Monday (CD15) so I'm hoping that O holds off until after that.

Well, I did 120mg last month (the recommended starting doses on my other infertility boards) and it didn't do squat. Didn't move my O date at all, didn't get me pregnant (obviously) and just gave me more noticeable O symptoms without really doing anything... girls on my other boards have had great success with larger doses (up to 200mg) ... but the side effects were just too much for me. I don't really think soy is going to do crap for me. I'm going to stick with the 80mg for now... I didn't have any side effects at all last night with it so think I'm good with this dose... I'll probably be done with soy after this cycle. I don't have much faith in it.

#23 of 118 Old 12-12-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Anyone testing soon? 

I really didn't have much in the way of bad symptoms. My temp was lower and I had stronger O pains and that was pretty much it.

I'm trying to hold off testing. AF is due Thursday, and since my temp hasn't crept up to the high 98s yet I'm not holding out much hope. I know there's still time plus I don't know what my temp this morning was, but I just don't feel it, IYKWIM. I forgot my thermometer at home, and my mother's thermometer must be broken. It said my temp was 91.5 which I'm having a really hard time believing. lol.gif

So anyway, I suppose I may have had a spike today. Guess I'll know tomorrow. If AF doesn't show up on Thursday I will test Friday morning. I graduate Friday afternoon, and it would be nice to know before I go out and celebrate next weekend (if I even do).

#24 of 118 Old 12-12-2010, 05:34 PM

Okay, I went to go buy this soy stuff at two different stores.  At walmart and the grocery store.  I didn't find it in either.  They sell them in canada right?  Is there any reason they wouldn't?  I didn't want to ask the pharmacist. . . .  lol  

I am going to keep my eye open and try to get some for next cycle, but I am already CD5 so I can't this cycle.

Liz 27 - Happily married for 8 years! Mom to three awesome boys ages 7 and 6 and 1

#25 of 118 Old 12-12-2010, 05:46 PM

I had a hard time finding it too.  I went to Whole Foods, and their natural supplement section is gigantic.  I finallllyyyy found it (1 brand, 2 bottles left, on the bottom shelf), but it wasn't marked as soy isoflavones.  It was called Menopause-Help, or something along those lines.  Basically try looking in the hormone replacement area, if they have one, and read the back of the labels.  Good luck!

#26 of 118 Old 12-14-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

I found it in the menopause section at Walmart.  It wasn't in alphabetical order so it was kind of hard to find.  I got 60 40mg tablets for $6.00.

Update for me:  CD16 now with no O in sight.  I haven't been crabby, but just mainly emotional.  I did experience some cramping a couple of days ago which I hope means that this stuff is working.  Overall, I'm having a good experience with the soy.  I will probably give it another couple tries before giving up on it. 

#27 of 118 Old 12-14-2010, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

A2E - ((HUGS))  This TTC journey can be so hard sometimes.  I pray that you get your BFP soon!

#28 of 118 Old 12-14-2010, 11:37 PM

Just to update - I'm CD 1 today. An average cycle for me is 31 days, with O on CD 17. Two cycles ago I had my longest cycle ever - 34 days. No clue why. Cycle after that I had a 31 day cycle, but O was on CD 14. (I actually think that would have been a 28 day cycle, but I was very possibly pregnant. Had two faint BFPs.) This past cycle (first soy cycle) was 29 days with O on CD 17 (possibly CD 15).

I'm not sure if soy did much for me or not. My temps all cycle were lower than normal. My cervix ripened earlier, but I can't say I had more EWCM than usual. O pains were a little stronger than normal. I got sick around O time, so that really messed things up.

I'm definitely going to try the soy again this time around. Guess we'll see if the symptoms are the same. I think I'll stick with the same dosage.

#29 of 118 Old 12-15-2010, 01:09 PM

Checking in as well.

I'm on CD 11, waiting to O in the next few days.  Keeping my fingers crossed that the soy doesn't move my O date too much!  I'm temping, checking cervical signs, and OPKing, so I shoulddd have a really good idea of when I ovulate lol.gif

The symptoms weren't too terrible for me.  I had a massive headache one of the days (I think day 8), and some nausea / hot flashes for the first 2 days.  But now I seem to be back to normal.  No signs of fertile CM, which kinda bums me out.  I was hoping to have a bunch this time around, especially with the soy and the fact that I've been drinking TONS of water and green tea!  We'll see as a get a little closer to O if that changes though.  Plus I bought some Preseed, sooooo it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't get a whole lot.  

And now for a completely random and unrelated comment.  Would it bug you ladies if your boyfriend's brother and sister-in-law address everything to you as "Yourfirstname Hislastname"?  At first I kinda thought it was because they didn't remember my last name lol.gif, but now I think they are trying to do it to be inclusive, I guess?  DBF comes from a very conservative, Catholic family.  I do not.  But that's one of the things I love about him!  However if / when we DO get married, I won't be changing my name.  And I'm fairly sure the kids we have will have my last, or maybe both.  

Should I approach them about it?  Is it even worth it?  Yeah, the implication that I will eventually change my name kinda bugs me.  But I don't think they are trying to be passive-aggressive about it or anything.  And eventually they will get the hint when, at our wedding, I do not in fact suddenly become "Mrs. Hislastname" wink1.gif

Any advice?

#30 of 118 Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 AM

9 DPO on soy. I had a good ovulation but I am not too optimistic. Taking it on CD 2 instead CD 4 made me O on time as opposed to 3 days late.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page