Have you ever used bioidentical progesterone cream? & if so care to share your experience? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My Progesterone levels came back on the low side so my naturopath/md is starting me on 20mg of bioidentical progesterone cream

hoping it will help with some of the health problems I"ve been having that can be caused by low levels... He didn't know we were ttc when he suggested it so I'm not taking it for ttc per say but I'm hoping that it might have the side effect of helping me get pg ;)

Anyways I'm just wondering what other ladies experiences have been with taking it... Did you feel good/bad on it? Were you ttc? Did you get pg?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on it.

heartbeat.gif~Cowgirl Momma to 3 amazing boys  & adding a new babyf.gifin July 2014~heartbeat.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 08:42 PM

What kind are you using? I just started using Natural progesterone cream (I'm guessing that's the same thing you're talking about?) after O. Using 20mg 2x/day. It's only been a couple of days though, so nothing to offer.

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
Old 12-15-2010, 03:28 AM

This is my 2nd cycle on Pro-Gest and I love it. I have secondary infertility and used to cramp for at least a week before af. With the cream I don't cramp (much), so I don't have to be in slight pain physically (and greater pain, mentally, being reminded of not being able to conceive every moment for a week or more every month). So, yeah, for me it works. I don't know what the cause behind my infertility is so I don't know if the cream can help with that. Yet, based on my short experience I would definitely recommend it for anyone who might benefit. 

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I am watching this thread with interest! I will be starting natural progesterone cream for the first time in the next day or two in hope that it will help my short luteal phase and spotting during the luteal phase.

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

Old 12-17-2010, 08:08 AM

I'm 6dpo now and really liking the NPC. my temps are waaay higher than they've ever been. I'm really hopeful for a normal lp this time! (or, of course, a bfp!)

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
Old 12-17-2010, 08:32 AM
HRJ

I have used it twice to get pregnant.  And after TTC for 1 yr w/ my son and 2+ years with this one (EDD March 2) the progesterone worked immediately.  With my son we got PG immediately (1st cycle) but lost that one (likely bc my family dr was new at it and didn't know I had to stay on the progesterone until the end of the 1st tri).  I stopped the progesterone b/c I ran out of the script when I got my positive pregnancy test and lost it 3 days later.  Then I was pregnant w/ my son 2 cycles after that.  With this pregnancy, we got pregnant the first cycle on it that we had intercourse which was the 2nd cycle on it.  My son is 6 yrs old and we've never used any birth control, but he did nurse a long time.  I would say we were definitely trying for 2 yrs though.  It also helped w/ my low libido, heavy bleeding, cramping, etc.  Taking progesterone in the luteal phase can bump up the estrogen for the beginning of the next cycle which can promote better ovulation as well.  So it is good to give it a cycle. 

Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJennifer View Post

What kind are you using? I just started using Natural progesterone cream (I'm guessing that's the same thing you're talking about?) after O. Using 20mg 2x/day. It's only been a couple of days though, so nothing to offer.

Not sure what the brand name is... It's a prescription from a compounding pharmacy but from what I've read it's similar to Natural progesterone? It is in 20mg dose and I think it's only once at night? but I'll have to double check that... Does yours say to use after O only?

heartbeat.gif~Cowgirl Momma to 3 amazing boys  & adding a new babyf.gifin July 2014~heartbeat.gif 
Old 12-19-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessTraveledBy View Post

This is my 2nd cycle on Pro-Gest and I love it. I have secondary infertility and used to cramp for at least a week before af. With the cream I don't cramp (much), so I don't have to be in slight pain physically (and greater pain, mentally, being reminded of not being able to conceive every moment for a week or more every month). So, yeah, for me it works. I don't know what the cause behind my infertility is so I don't know if the cream can help with that. Yet, based on my short experience I would definitely recommend it for anyone who might benefit. 

Thank you for your reply! :) I'm sorry about the pain you have had to deal with emotionally and physically... It's so hard to want something so bad and then having so much trouble achieving it... Do you take it all cycle long or only some days/weeks? Have you noticed any changes to your cycles other then the cramping? I think I managed to boost my progesterone a bit with Estrosmart plus which has Vitex in it as I went from bad cramps (hellish before I had kids) to no cramps for the first 2 months on it and then one really painful period that I think might have been because of yeast and then back to no cramps this month again... But I still have all the low progesterone symptoms that are making me feel awful and I haven't get pregnant in over a year of not bf (2 in March of no b/c or being pregnant) despite having perfect timing most months... & I know that is not a long time compared to a lot of ladies but the woman on my moms side didn't get pregnant easy and only had 2 kids max so I'm a little worried that will be me if I don't figure out what is going on now...

Old 12-19-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourire View Post

I am watching this thread with interest! I will be starting natural progesterone cream for the first time in the next day or two in hope that it will help my short luteal phase and spotting during the luteal phase.

Are you starting before or after O? Best of luck and let me know how it works for you!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm 6dpo now and really liking the NPC. my temps are waaay higher than they've ever been. I'm really hopeful for a normal lp this time! (or, of course, a bfp!)

Awesome! :) That's great to hear! Best of luck on getting a bfp! Keep me posted on how it works for you.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRJ View Post

I have used it twice to get pregnant.  And after TTC for 1 yr w/ my son and 2+ years with this one (EDD March 2) the progesterone worked immediately.  With my son we got PG immediately (1st cycle) but lost that one (likely bc my family dr was new at it and didn't know I had to stay on the progesterone until the end of the 1st tri).  I stopped the progesterone b/c I ran out of the script when I got my positive pregnancy test and lost it 3 days later.  Then I was pregnant w/ my son 2 cycles after that.  With this pregnancy, we got pregnant the first cycle on it that we had intercourse which was the 2nd cycle on it.  My son is 6 yrs old and we've never used any birth control, but he did nurse a long time.  I would say we were definitely trying for 2 yrs though.  It also helped w/ my low libido, heavy bleeding, cramping, etc.  Taking progesterone in the luteal phase can bump up the estrogen for the beginning of the next cycle which can promote better ovulation as well.  So it is good to give it a cycle. 

Thank you so much for your reply! Sorry about your lose... I had to ask my Dr. about what I should do if I get pg while on the progesterone other wise I don't think he would have said anything :P your reply makes me hopeful that it can help me get pg and maybe fix some of the other stuff that is going on! :)

Old 12-19-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

So I'm a little worried as my dr wants me to start on the cream on day 14 b/c he says that's when most woman O...  till day 25... But I've been o'ing around day 20 which means that I'll be taking about the time my fertile period starts and ending it a few days after O... Some of the stuff I'm reading says it will prevent you from O'ing if you take it before you O? Anyone know anything about taking it before you o?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:11 PM
HRJ

No, you don't want to do that.  My current dr that has had me on it is my OB/Gyn.  He has all his patients chart (using Creighton), and he told me to take the cream starting at Peak (ovulation) +3.  So 3 days past ovulation.  If you take it before ovulation, it can prevent you from ovulating.  So if you start on CD 14 but don't ovulate until CD 20, you won't ovulate.  Be sure to keep charting b/c the progesterone could bump up your ovulation day on the following cycle.  So your ovulation date could change drastically. 

Old 12-20-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSTC View Post

So I'm a little worried as my dr wants me to start on the cream on day 14 b/c he says that's when most woman O...  till day 25... But I've been o'ing around day 20 which means that I'll be taking about the time my fertile period starts and ending it a few days after O... Some of the stuff I'm reading says it will prevent you from O'ing if you take it before you O? Anyone know anything about taking it before you o?

Your doctor sounds like a piece of work.... Sorry!

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My gynecologist said the same thing when he prescribed me Provera to lengthen my luteal phase, he said to start it on CD 16 even though I always O later than that. I later found out from another gynecologist that Provera is not at all helpful in lengthening the LP (it is normally used to bring on AF) and it may not be safe in pregnancy.

I have therefore concluded that my gynecologist has no idea what he is doing and I feel really sorry for all the other women who are harmed by his ignorance. The important thing is to not blindly trust any doctor and do your own research... I definitely don't think you should start the progesterone cream until after you O. I am starting to use the cream today (O + 3).

Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 PM

Here's my update:
I'm pregnant!!orngbiggrin.gif
I got four faint bfps yesterday (11dpo), and 3 darker ones today (including a digi).
This was my first month on NPC, started taking it 2dpo.
Hth!

Old 12-23-2010, 02:08 PM

Congrats LadyJennifer, thats amazing!

I am on my 4th day of NPC right now (started taking it at 3 DPO) and I am having trouble controlling my emotions... I am getting SUPER angry at everyone! It's like PMS x10! I wonder if the NPC is causing it.... dizzy.gif

Old 12-23-2010, 05:56 PM

Oooh, yeah I had anger too. I figured it was pregnantness, lol. It only started at 9dpo for me I think.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here's my update:
I'm pregnant!!orngbiggrin.gif
I got four faint bfps yesterday (11dpo), and 3 darker ones today (including a digi).
This was my first month on NPC, started taking it 2dpo.
Hth!

Wow! Congrats! That's awesome! :)

Quote:

I am on my 4th day of NPC right now (started taking it at 3 DPO) and I am having trouble controlling my emotions... I am getting SUPER angry at everyone! It's like PMS x10! I wonder if the NPC is causing it.... dizzy.gif

Old 12-23-2010, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh no... That is one of the reasons I took a break from the Vitex... That doesn't sound to hopeful for me then... I better get pg fast on it then or my husband won't like me anymore let alone want to bd lol I really hope it isn't any worse then the vitex was though as it was hard to deal with the lil ones at times when I was getting angry so fast... :( Only time will tell I guess...

Old 12-23-2010, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No, you don't want to do that.  My current dr that has had me on it is my OB/Gyn.  He has all his patients chart (using Creighton), and he told me to take the cream starting at Peak (ovulation) +3.  So 3 days past ovulation.  If you take it before ovulation, it can prevent you from ovulating.  So if you start on CD 14 but don't ovulate until CD 20, you won't ovulate.  Be sure to keep charting b/c the progesterone could bump up your ovulation day on the following cycle.  So your ovulation date could change drastically. 

Thanks for the info! I think I'll do the +3 thing as well and see how it goes... Not at all interested in messing my cycle up...

Old 12-23-2010, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

He's really great in every other way/area... But seems to be lacking in the woman's issues area... :(

Old 12-23-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My gynecologist said the same thing when he prescribed me Provera to lengthen my luteal phase, he said to start it on CD 16 even though I always O later than that. I later found out from another gynecologist that Provera is not at all helpful in lengthening the LP (it is normally used to bring on AF) and it may not be safe in pregnancy.

I have therefore concluded that my gynecologist has no idea what he is doing and I feel really sorry for all the other women who are harmed by his ignorance. The important thing is to not blindly trust any doctor and do your own research... I definitely don't think you should start the progesterone cream until after you O. I am starting to use the cream today (O + 3).

It really sucks when the "expert" that you trust doesn't know what they are doing but think they do and end up screwing YOUR body up... I had a Dr. try to get me to take 3x the normal dose of birth control to "normalize" my cycle as I was having weird spotting... I said no thanks I don't ever want to be one b/c again let alone 3x the amount as I was dead tired, moody etc when I was on it as a teen to try to clear up my face...Couple of weeks later I found out that I was 5wks pregnant w/ my first ds... So I totally agree that you have to do your own research and more and more I'm learning that I have to trust my gut feeling as well... Therefore I'm going w/ doing the O + 3 instead of cd 14.... :)

Old 12-24-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Oh no... That is one of the reasons I took a break from the Vitex... That doesn't sound to hopeful for me then... I better get pg fast on it then or my husband won't like me anymore let alone want to bd lol I really hope it isn't any worse then the vitex was though as it was hard to deal with the lil ones at times when I was getting angry so fast... greensad.gif Only time will tell I guess...

It might be different for you though. I only really had that one day (9dpo), and now I seem to be fine. I'm still using the NPC until I figure how I want to wean off.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:21 AM
HRJ

I recommend working w/ a dr that knows how to adjust dosage.  The first time I took progesterone (bioidentical) to get PG w/ my son, I had a lot of side effects - including crying and hotflashes.  He was a family dr new at prescribing bioidentical and had me on a pretty high dosage.  This time around I worked w/ an OB/Gyn that has a lot of experience doing this.  He ended up putting me on a lower dosage, and I had no side effects at all.  And I still got PG immediately. 

Old 12-26-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Ok it turns out the reason I was acting super PMS-y was that AF was about to arrive. I had a 7 day LP, my shortest LP ever! Last month it was 11 days.... looks like the NPC is really screwing things up for me. The best part was getting AF on Christmas day.... ahhhh so frustrated right now.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:02 AM

So sorry sourire! greensad.gif
Maybe next month will be your month. Sometimes when your hormones are being balanced they are worse before they are better. Maybe this is your worse, and next month will be your better:)

Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It might be different for you though. I only really had that one day (9dpo), and now I seem to be fine. I'm still using the NPC until I figure how I want to wean off.

That's good to hear :) I'm really hoping it's going to make me feel better and it would suck to feel better but be angry all the time...

Quote:

I recommend working w/ a dr that knows how to adjust dosage.  The first time I took progesterone (bioidentical) to get PG w/ my son, I had a lot of side effects - including crying and hotflashes.  He was a family dr new at prescribing bioidentical and had me on a pretty high dosage.  This time around I worked w/ an OB/Gyn that has a lot of experience doing this.  He ended up putting me on a lower dosage, and I had no side effects at all.  And I still got PG immediately. 

I've been think that I'm going to get an appointment w/ my family/baby dr and see if she has any experience w/ bioidentical progesterone as if I did end up pg I think I'd be a lot more at ease w/ her ajusting the dosage as although she is a family dr as well she mostly does prenatals/delivers babies and is very good at what she does. Do you remember what the dose was the second time? Mine is 20mg I believe which he said was a very small dose?

Quote:

Quote:

Ok it turns out the reason I was acting super PMS-y was that AF was about to arrive. I had a 7 day LP, my shortest LP ever! Last month it was 11 days.... looks like the NPC is really screwing things up for me. The best part was getting AF on Christmas day.... ahhhh so frustrated right now.

Soo sorry Sourire *hugs* I hope that it's just your body adjusting and that this new cycle is a good one for you!

Old 12-28-2010, 11:04 PM

Thank you for this thread you guys! I was starting to think I was going insane, but then I read the thread and now I know I need a little break from the Natural Progesterone cream I've been taking. I've only been on it for one cycle plus a couple of days, but already I'm getting crazy mood swings (well, mostly just angry). I'm happy that it is helping lengthen my LP (I've just started day 9 post ovulatory, which is the longest since DD was born.) I guess I'll stop after AF returns (assuming I don't get a BFP!)...

mom to: M born Aug 2011 & K 2yo

Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 AM
HRJ

My dosage the first time was 50 mg.  This time around it was 20 mg, and I didn't have any side effects.  Has your dr done a baseline test to make sure that you need the progesterone?  After my experience, I feel that if you are having side effects, your dosage is probably too much or you may not need it.  Because the second time around, I had no side effects and felt great!  The first time around i had hot flashes, depression, mood swings, and nausea.

User Tag List