***Bitter Sushi Ladies February 2011 Thread*** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

heartbeat.gif Welcome to the February Thread heartbeat.gif

This is a thread for those who have been TTC for a long time, whether 6 months, 12 months, or more. At this point many of us are at or past 1 or 2 years, many have had losses, many are dealing with various forms of infertility, and some are just in a waiting period until they can TTC again.

The name? Well, all things considered we tend to be a little bitter sometimes. So read with care. And due to everything, our emotions run a little raw like sushi. Too many cycles of BFN and CD1 sushi & sake to console ourselves. This TTC business is something that seems to "just happen" for so many...but we just can't seem to get it right. So this is where we can be together, share and express anything.

Current Bitter Sushi Ladies

abstract

33, and DH (36), TTC (his #2, my #1) off-and-on since November 2006

~AA~

Trying with DH since Feb 2008, on Clomid

amo4piano

TTC #1 since Jan 2010, one m/c at 10.5 weeks

Attached2Elijah

Hoping for #3 for 4 years and 3 months with 6 months hard TTC (charting, etc) after previous unexplained secondary infertility.BFPChart2.gif

blueyezz4

TTC #1 (technically #4-long story) since 2006; Moving on to our first FET after 5 failed IUI's and 1 IVF

borobaby

TTC #2 for 7 months

collieflower

TTC #2 for 2 years, with 4 m/c (and another before DC#1)

enigo

Has one beautiful son, trying to conceive after three losses

grahnola mum

TTC #2 since December 2008, with 7 losses, 6 weeks pg and hoping that it will stick.

inwaiting

TTC #1 for 14 months, with one ectopic.

indianagirl

36, TTC for a little over two years onto IUI and clomid

jenger

Mama to DD (4/07) TTC #2 since August 2009. BFPChart2.gif

jennabella

TTC #2 since July 2009, with a loss in February 2010 and a loss in July 2010

justhinkn

TTC #2 since summer 2009, just starting IF testing with DH

keria

TTC #1 since October 2008.

kgulbransen

TTC since April 2010, 5 IUIs & 1 at home with frozen, all using HCG trigger; 5 at home insems with fresh donor, latest one Jan (try#11). Short luteal phase, otherwise all clear, have tried Femara and Clomid with no success. On to IVF in April??

kinza

TTC #1 since November 2008, with PCOS and Male Factor BFPChart2.gif

kparker

TTC #1 since 9/08 with male factor, IUI #1 with donor sperm Feb 2011

Kyamo

TTC#1 since Jan 2010 (with PCOS) BFPChart2.gif

laggie

TTC #1 since Fall 2009 with male factor issues

lapis

TTC #1 since August 2008. Living in a new country with a calmer lifestyle and trying not to get sucked into the TTC vacuum

lavatea

Has two lovely children, 6 and 3. Lost #3 at 18 weeks last November. Lost #4 pretty much right away, 4w6d in March. Lost #5 at 6w3d this past June BFPChart2.gif

lilmom

35, ttc #2 for a year and a half with pcos and rarely ovulating

littlest birds

TTC for 16+ months after VR BFPChart2.gif

luminesce

TTC #2 since 4/2010 after 3 years of unexplained infertility with #1

mahnamahna

Mama to 1 amazing son, TTC #2 for one year, natural parenting blogger

millefleur

34, happily unmarried to my beloved DP since 2005. Started TTC our first in Summer 2008. Nine week miscarriage December 2008. TTC again since June 2009 without interventions

miriam bat avraham

J (28) & DH (35), TTC #1 since December 2008. Currently trying Clomid & IUIBFPChart2.gif

MommyMatsumoto

TTC #2 since 3/2010 BFPChart2.gif

monkeyscience

26, TTC #1 w/ PCOS since 6/2010

musicoholic

Stop-start TTC#2 since April '06; no known fertility issues BFPChart2.gif

mrs.nap515

TTC #1 with DH. Hormone deficiencies and hypothalmic amenorrhea.

Objet_Trouve

TTC #1 since Jan 2010 with PCOS

rcr

TTC #2 since 12/2007, one loss in September 2010, one failed IVF in February 2011 BFPChart2.gif

silverbird

ttc #1 since June 2010, after a two year delay for illness.  Waiting for IVF. 

SimplyRochelle

TTC #1 on and off since 5/2007, m/c at 12 weeks 9/08.

Smilesarefree

36 year old mom of one wonderful dd trying for another since April 2010

sweet.bee

TTC #2 with late ovulation and an overworked husband BFPChart2.gif

sweetest77

38 y/o, TTC #3 since May 09, after VR

tara2

TTC #4 (#2 for DH) since October 2009, DH with low count

TTC3Years

TTC #1 for since December of ‘06

ZanneMom

TTC#2 for more than 12 months

hug2.gif In our thoughts, on hold, and/or waiting hug2.gif

BelovedK

Mama of 2 (15yo DS, 10yo DD). Wife to one incredible man. Residing in Central VA. TTC someone new since November 2008 with 2 m/c (Feb/09 and Jul/09). An avid bellydancer and firedancer, who works part time doing hair, and who is giving her loving energy nowadays more toward her DH than TTC

mi_dawn

lost baby William (born still 4/09) and two m/c in 09.

Milk8shake

26, TTC #1 since 4/09. Battling endo, uterine abnormality and recurrent pregnancy loss. Awaiting results before taking the next step, whatever that may be...

dust.gif BSL BFPs!!! Stick little babies, stick, stick, stick... dust.gif

Jane - due 10/3/2011

slylives - due 6/2011

Tear78 - due 8/4/2011

Maurine - due 8/2/2011

CLH_X3 - due 7/13/11

kalamos23

xtara2003x - due 5/5/10

jenniferadurham - Due 4/2011

nanette56 - Due 4/2011 with twins!

babygrey - Due 4/2011

grapesbunch

finnegansmom - Due 2/11

barefootgirl - Due 12/10

rachwms - Due 11/10

joy.gif BSL BABIES joy.gif

jessica_s - Asher Kingston 1/20/11 

QBear'sMama - Jack Everett 12/17/10!

kellyttc#1 - Hilary & Charlotte 11/11/10!

YummyYumYumMama - Kieran 10/27/10!

lyndzies - Cadence James 10/15/10!

Carlyle - Maggie 10/9/10!

aidanraynesmom - Sloan Phoenix 9/10!

MaerynPearl - Maeryn Jean 9/27/10!

colorbywords - Emery Oaklynn 8/03/10!

LZP - Anna Veronica 7/18/10!

Pinoikoi - Ursula Marisol 6/23/10!

Lisko15 - Caleb Benjamin 6/24/10!

LINK to our graduates thread - New Year 2011 Edition!

Please let the threadkeeper know if your info needs to be updated.

New ladies are always welcome, but please join with care.

Please put all notes for changes or additions to this post in bold because the threadkeeper is doing IVF this cycle, so she may not be keeping up very often.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subbing post. TWW sucks. eyesroll.gif

ETA - Thanks for taking care of the thread, rcr. Good luck this cycle!!

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

Old 02-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Ugh, heavy start to af. Otoh, I think my coworker must've gotten a BFN because she is quiet about it now, and I know her test date was last Saturday.

Whatever will be, already is...

Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Sorry Beloved. Sorry you are feeling sad lately. I have been listening, just not posting much. I think you are really wonderful and interesting and I love reading about your 365 project and seeing your tarot posts on FB. I wish I had something useful to say that would help you, but I don't. Sometimes when I have a stupid answer to somebody asking when we are having another baby (I usually answer something to the effect that I will have a baby when they start to count as journal articles for tenure) I think of you and how you just put it out there and are so open, and wish I could do that.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
rcr

Oh, and did I mention to you all that I actually gave myself a shot... lots of them - 6 total now. I have two more tonight. Never thought I could actually poke myself with a needle in the tummy, I am actually kinda proud that I was able to do it.

Oh, and if I am a suckey threadkeeper this month, I apologize in advance. My excuse is that I am busy with IVF stuff.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:08 PM

I'm so excited for you, rcr smile.gif You are due a little threadkeeper's luck!

Thank you for the kind things you said love.gif

Is it evil of me to want to ask my coworker how the pregnancy is going? mischievous.gif (really, I wouldn't do something so mean) (but I would think about it)

Whatever will be, already is...

Old 02-03-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK View Post

I'm so excited for you, rcr smile.gif You are due a little threadkeeper's luck!

Thank you for the kind things you said love.gif

Is it evil of me to want to ask my coworker how the pregnancy is going? mischievous.gif (really, I wouldn't do something so mean) (but I would think about it)

shy.gif  I would think about it, too.  And also, depending on how insufferable she was last month, I might actually say it out loud.  mischievous.gif

Jane, I missed saying it last thread, but yay for your ultrasound!  I send goodvibes.gifto you.

rcr:  Thanks for the new thread, and I really hope you get your threadkeepers luck.  fingersx.gif  And you're very brave with the shots.

AFM:  I'm about 6 DPO, I think.  We're kind of at a standstill until we can figure out a time for DH to do his next SA.  It has to be at home this time, and the place doing it only has appointments during business hours three days a week.  WTH.  People need SA's during evening hours and weekends, too.  It's a terrible time for him to miss work right now, so I don't know what we'll do.  Blah.

A and M, June 2012
Old 02-03-2011, 06:22 PM

Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam_bat_avraham View Post

That sucks now some clinics are never open. Mine's open literally every single day, even on holidays, even with the crazy weather and all the "quick, shut everything down!!!" with schools and businesses and government stuff... they're just always open. I have an ultrasound scheduled for 8:30am on Sunday. How do people do IUIs and IVF with a limited schedule???

AFM, I had an ultrasound today at CD 11. Two follicles over 10mm-- a 13mm one and an 11.5mm one. Both on the RIGHT ovary! I have never, ever, ever in all my ultrasounds had any real activity going on over there. So of course I'm convinced that that's the magic ovary and this is going to be The Cycle. Hmm, this road looks familiar... have I been down here before? winky.gif I go back on Sunday to check again. Fingers crossed for TWINSIES! twins.gif I like to aim high.

DH told me that he wants to come with me for my IUI this time. I told him it's not really much of a "procedure," but he said it wasn't because he thought I would be lonely or need support because obviously I've done this before, but because he thought maybe, if he was there too, it would be like a family event and not me just having to go off and "do treatment" and maybe both of us there, together, would give us a little magic. He is the sweetest guy on the planet, I swear. heartbeat.gif

I think all places that do IUI and IVF have to be open daily, at least mine is, though their weekend hours are less. But when we did the SA, that was before I was referred to this clinic for IUI, so it was just a requisition form we had to take to a blood lab that would do SAs. And although blood labs are almost all open 7 days a week, out of the ones that do SA, many only do it on weekdays during certain hours. I must have phoned like 6 places before I found one that would do SA on Saturday. Maybe this is the type of situation Kinza is facing?

I hope your DH is right about it being magic if he is there. Since this IUI was in the middle of a snowstorm, DH had permission to work from home that day, so he came with me this time (I did the last one alone). Good luck.

I went to the yarn store tonight for the knitting group, and I was talking to one lady there. The topic came up in a weird way by chance, but it turns out she also had issues with rare/irregular ovulation similar to mine although not PCOS, and conceived her daughter with clomid. They tried for a 2nd but ended up giving up after 6 years. Then when her daughter was 11, she ended up surprise pregnant. Since she was used to not having a period for 3-4 months at a time, she didn't realise it until she was 5 months pregnant! So now she has a 14 yr old and a 3 yr old. This is the first time I've met someone in real life that went through something similar and really understands. So that was nice.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

Quote:

That sucks now some clinics are never open. Mine's open literally every single day, even on holidays, even with the crazy weather and all the "quick, shut everything down!!!" with schools and businesses and government stuff... they're just always open. I have an ultrasound scheduled for 8:30am on Sunday. How do people do IUIs and IVF with a limited schedule???

AFM, I had an ultrasound today at CD 11. Two follicles over 10mm-- a 13mm one and an 11.5mm one. Both on the RIGHT ovary! I have never, ever, ever in all my ultrasounds had any real activity going on over there. So of course I'm convinced that that's the magic ovary and this is going to be The Cycle. Hmm, this road looks familiar... have I been down here before? winky.gif I go back on Sunday to check again. Fingers crossed for TWINSIES! twins.gif I like to aim high.

DH told me that he wants to come with me for my IUI this time. I told him it's not really much of a "procedure," but he said it wasn't because he thought I would be lonely or need support because obviously I've done this before, but because he thought maybe, if he was there too, it would be like a family event and not me just having to go off and "do treatment" and maybe both of us there, together, would give us a little magic. He is the sweetest guy on the planet, I swear. heartbeat.gif

I think all places that do IUI and IVF have to be open daily, at least mine is, though their weekend hours are less. But when we did the SA, that was before I was referred to this clinic for IUI, so it was just a requisition form we had to take to a blood lab that would do SAs. And although blood labs are almost all open 7 days a week, out of the ones that do SA, many only do it on weekdays during certain hours. I must have phoned like 6 places before I found one that would do SA on Saturday. Maybe this is the type of situation Kinza is facing?

I hope your DH is right about it being magic if he is there. Since this IUI was in the middle of a snowstorm, DH had permission to work from home that day, so he came with me this time (I did the last one alone). Good luck.

I went to the yarn store tonight for the knitting group, and I was talking to one lady there. The topic came up in a weird way by chance, but it turns out she also had issues with rare/irregular ovulation similar to mine although not PCOS, and conceived her daughter with clomid. They tried for a 2nd but ended up giving up after 6 years. Then when her daughter was 11, she ended up surprise pregnant. Since she was used to not having a period for 3-4 months at a time, she didn't realise it until she was 5 months pregnant! So now she has a 14 yr old and a 3 yr old. This is the first time I've met someone in real life that went through something similar and really understands. So that was nice.

Yes, the SA is at an andrology lab, and he has to have an appointment, because a person has to be available to run the sample as soon as it's dropped off.  I can understand needing an appointment, but really, only Monday through Wednesday, old-school bankers' hours.  It seems a bit ridiculous.  The fertility clinic is open five days a week, plus appointments for IUIs and IVFs on Saturdays, plus appointments for IVFs on Sunday.  I haven't figured out why no IUIs on Sundays.  Kentucky is not the place to be infertile, ladies.

Good luck with IUIs, ladies!  And, Kyamo, that is an awesome story about the lady in the knitting group.  It gives me hope.

A and M, June 2012
Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 PM

rcr - For the record I think you are super tough. I am terrified of shots! Of course, if I get to that point, I will deal with it, somehow.

mba - Your DH is a sweetheart! I love what he said! And maybe it will make the magic happen!!! Yay for that right ovary!

kinza - I hope you can get an appointment fast! Sorry for all the difficulties.

beloved - I would think about asking her too. But I wouldn't do it. I would just think of it. Well, probably.

AFM, my chart is so crazy, but I think I *may* be 8 dpo now? But, I am not really sure, because temps are crazy, and not normal for me to have them be so erratic after O, plus no sore bbs. But, we'll see.. Also, couldn't get my acupuncture rescheduled until the 24th, and then found out my babysitter can't do it at the time I scheduled for. Argh. So, now I'm trying to reschedule yet again. I'm so close! Yet so far!

Old 02-04-2011, 02:31 AM

Hi, everyone! I'm feeling optimistic for a lot of you, esp. rcr with her upcoming IVF. smile.gif

I'm on CD10 and started spotting again (after 2 days w/o bleeding/spotting). It's almost enough to be "light" even, but not quite. I don't know what's going on. I've had this 1 or 2 times before, and it's just weird. And I often have many days of spotting after real flow has stopped. Does anyone know what prolonged spotting after the end of a period could mean? Or spotting, then nothing for a few days, then spotting again? It's really discouraging. greensad.gif

Here's my chart:

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2e2172

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 AM

Forgot to say, thanks for the new thread rcr. I can take it next month if no one else wants it.

SweetBee - not that I am an expert, but I thought that spotting BEFORE your period can indicate low progesterone or LP issue, but spotting after your period was normal and no big deal. When you say "prolonged" how long do you mean? Like what CD is the last day of spotting?

ETA: I looked at your chart. CD 10? I don't think I would be really worried about that, but again, not an expert.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 AM

YOU ARE LOVED! :) This is so sweet...Good luck to you! :)

Looks like I am not ovulating this month, ladies :( I'm on day 20 and nothing. (I have a 29-day cycle). SO disappointed, especially after seeing the slightest glimpse of EWCF this month (a rarety for me since the m/c!). *sigh* I think it might be time for us to call the fertility clinic soon...

Also, quick question if anyone knows. Can I take anything natural to increase the chances of ovulation? I just started taking B-6 for my short LP (which is typically 10 or 11 days) but I haven't been ovulating regularly since the m/c so if there's a way for me to boost that along, I'll try it.

I was also thinking of changing my status so it doesn't need updated--great idea.

amo4piano: TTC #1 since Jan 2010, one m/c at 10.5 weeks

DW married to DH expecting first baby in April 2012!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
rcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK View Post

Not evil. A little mean, but not evil. This is something that I would think about, and perhaps even do. I am mean.

Quote:

Thanks for the new thread, rcr!! Do you mind changing my info on the first post? I want to make it something that doesn't need to be updated all the time-- J (28) & DH (35), TTC #1 since December 2008. Currently trying Clomid & IUI. I don't know how long we'll be doing Clomid & IUIs if we don't have any luck, but when/if that needs to change, I'll worry about it later. Thanks! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post

Oh, and did I mention to you all that I actually gave myself a shot... lots of them - 6 total now. I have two more tonight. Never thought I could actually poke myself with a needle in the tummy, I am actually kinda proud that I was able to do it.

Oh, and if I am a suckey threadkeeper this month, I apologize in advance. My excuse is that I am busy with IVF stuff.

I was proud of myself for doing that the first time, too (although I only have one injection per cycle). The plan was for a friend of mine to do it for me so I wouldn't have to do it, and so DH wouldn't be afraid of hurting me which would have made me nervous about him doing it right, but then my friend had class and wouldn't have been to my house in time. So I just decided to do it rather than have DH have to do it, and it was no big deal, and I felt like I'd passed some milestone of toughness :)

Yea, that is what I feel like, like I passed a milestone of toughness. The thought of doing it was a lot worse than actually doing it. Of course, I say that now, after only 6 days of the shots. If the IVF works I will have to do 10 weeks of progestrone shots in the butt, and I have heard those hurt.

Hope the twinsies make it this month (for both of us). We can have our own twin/graduate bsl ddc and ignore the belly shots at 3 weeks pregnant, etc from the "oopsies" who got pregnant right away.

Quote:

That's a nice story. Did she say anything about how it was to have LOs with such a huge age difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet.Bee View Post

Hi, everyone! I'm feeling optimistic for a lot of you, esp. rcr with her upcoming IVF. smile.gif

I'm on CD10 and started spotting again (after 2 days w/o bleeding/spotting). It's almost enough to be "light" even, but not quite. I don't know what's going on. I've had this 1 or 2 times before, and it's just weird. And I often have many days of spotting after real flow has stopped. Does anyone know what prolonged spotting after the end of a period could mean? Or spotting, then nothing for a few days, then spotting again? It's really discouraging. greensad.gif

Here's my chart:

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2e2172

Thanks! Sorry about the spotting. I don't know what it could be (maybe Jane will tell you what she thinks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo4piano View Post

YOU ARE LOVED! :) This is so sweet...Good luck to you! :)

Looks like I am not ovulating this month, ladies :( I'm on day 20 and nothing. (I have a 29-day cycle). SO disappointed, especially after seeing the slightest glimpse of EWCF this month (a rarety for me since the m/c!). *sigh* I think it might be time for us to call the fertility clinic soon...

Also, quick question if anyone knows. Can I take anything natural to increase the chances of ovulation? I just started taking B-6 for my short LP (which is typically 10 or 11 days) but I haven't been ovulating regularly since the m/c so if there's a way for me to boost that along, I'll try it.

I was also thinking of changing my status so it doesn't need updated--great idea.

amo4piano: TTC #1 since Jan 2010, one m/c at 10.5 weeks

Changed. I am not sure about the ovulation thing. Does soy help with that? Sorry about not ovulating :hug

AFM - I am having big problems with my boss at work, which is really stressing me out. He was screaming at my in my office a few days ago about the problem that we are having (which is really more personal than anything professional), in a way that is really aggressive and a bit innappropriate. I have been up half the night for the last few nights stressing out over him. I really wish I could find a way to just let stress go, but I hold it all in and obsess over it. I have been doing this fertility meditating program (circule+bloom), which helps me let it go and relax for the 15 minutes or so that I am doing the meditation, but then I just come back to obsessing about it. I work with 30 men and only 2 other women... I think there would be a much healthier dynamic if that was not the case.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)

Thanks for the new thread, rcr! Can you update me to just saying "26, TTC #1 w/ PCOS since 6/2010, anovulatory the whole time. Working with an RE"?  That should last awhile.

I do not think I could give myself shots. Maybe, MAYBE if it were in the butt or arm. No freakin' way in the stomach. And dh is a completely wussy about needles, too, so that would never happen.

As far as talking about infertility - I tell pretty much anyone. I don't always go into details (because somehow it's a little weird talking about your girly parts), but I probably do go into detail more often than some people would like! Then again, I think if you're making presumptive comments about other people's family choices, you deserve what you get. At this point, I find comments about "When are you going to get started?" and "Of course you couldn't be trying to get pregnant this soon" equally offensive. I've also realized, though, that I've been judgmental, too. I assume that all the married people I know who don't have kids have chosen not to have them thus far. While that may be true for many of them, I bet it's not true for all of them. So I guess I should start with cleaning my own house.

AFM... I bled the whole time I was on Prometrium, and then stopped about two days after I stopped the medicine. WTH?? I have no clue what's going on. I guess I need to email the RE. Bleh. Really don't need this crap on top of all the financial stuff that keeps hitting us. Oh, and on top of the ice storm, too. :P

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
Old 02-04-2011, 08:36 AM

A curious question - what are the shots for? I don't know much about the whole ivf thing and I guess I never will, my dh is of the mind that 'what will be will be' and to 'let nature take its course'. He could 'take one or leave one' when it comes to having another kid, not that he doesn't love dd to death and not that he wouldn't love another to death as well but that is just his attitude, so I don't even chart, I do however pee on the occasional opk. I can usually tell when I am ovulating but this cycle has been a little weird, I was noticing an increase in cm on cd 8 so for kicks I peed on an opk and it was positive so then I panicked because dh was away. CD 9 I did another opk and it was neg. I did another on cd 14 - because I am obsessed and it was pos again, but no cm since cd8/9 so I have no idea what is going on and if I even did o this month.

So anyways, if there is some underlying issue with my body or dh's I will never know as he is not willing to go that route, you ladies with dh's who want it as much as you do are very lucky.

Anyways, I am really trying not to be obsessed this month but it is hard.  I get my hopes up every month, even if I know for a fact that I couldn't be pregnant.

Ahhhhhh just wanted to blow off some steam!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
rcr

Monkey,  I'll update you.

Smiles, there are several types of shots. First you take a few shots in your stomach to make your body produce more eggs, which is a major goal. Then you add a shot to make you not ovulate, because they will be going in and retrieving the eggs (a surgical procedure) and if you ovulate too soon then they will loose them. 36 hours before retrieval you take an hcg shot to make you ovulate, but they do the retrieval before you actually do ovulate. Then they inject the sperm into them (if you are doing ICSI, which we are because DH has 0% morphology), and let them grow for about 5 days. Then they put them (we are hoping for two) back into you and you have to take progestrone shots for about 10 weeks if you get pregnant in order to hopefully prevent a m/c (I think that is why - not sure). Basically you want as many eggs to work with as possible, since many don't survive the 5-day growing period, many don't survive the spermination, and some will be lower quality than others. If you end up with more eggs than you need, you can freeze them to use later with frozen embryo transfer, or donate them. We are freezing them until we decide not to, and then donating them.

I think I got it right, Blue may know more than I do - this is my first time, and she has already been through it.

Oh, and Smiles, my DH has a similar attitude. He is fine with just DS. I am the one pushing for the fertility treatments (we have insurance that pays for it), and he just goes along, but if it were totally up to him we would not be ttc at all. Lucky for me, he goes along with what I want.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:13 PM

RCR - Thanks for the explanation, I had no idea how many steps are involved I guess I never really thought about it.  And maybe if I pushed DH a little harder he might be willing to help mother nature along!

Old 02-04-2011, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Oh my, if I had to take that many shots I'd rather call the whole thing off and not have any kids.  No joke.  I had to have my hcg shot last night for my IUI tomorrow morning and I couldn't do it, I started shaking and bawling uncontrollably and my husband had to take the syringe from me and do it for me.  I have such a phobia of needles it isn't even funny.  Anyone who has to do shots, hats off to you.  So brave!

Oh, can I have my blurb up top edited from January to February?  I didn't develop fast enough for a Jan IUI ;P

Mom to 3 , 1 , 10 hermit crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12
Old 02-04-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparker View Post

Oh my, if I had to take that many shots I'd rather call the whole thing off and not have any kids.  No joke.  I had to have my hcg shot last night for my IUI tomorrow morning and I couldn't do it, I started shaking and bawling uncontrollably and my husband had to take the syringe from me and do it for me.  I have such a phobia of needles it isn't even funny.  Anyone who has to do shots, hats off to you.  So brave!

Oh, can I have my blurb up top edited from January to February?  I didn't develop fast enough for a Jan IUI ;P

You have to give yourself your own trigger for IUI? At my clinic if after one of the US's they decide the follicles are ready, then they just do the shot right there before I leave. I have had to put up with a lot of needles (mostly 1897028734 blood draws!), but I have not had to stick myself. That would be scary! Good luck for your IUI tomorrow, mine was on Wed so I guess I am 2DPO.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post

Monkey,  I'll update you.

Smiles, there are several types of shots. First you take a few shots in your stomach to make your body produce more eggs, which is a major goal. Then you add a shot to make you not ovulate, because they will be going in and retrieving the eggs (a surgical procedure) and if you ovulate too soon then they will loose them. 36 hours before retrieval you take an hcg shot to make you ovulate, but they do the retrieval before you actually do ovulate. Then they inject the sperm into them (if you are doing ICSI, which we are because DH has 0% morphology), and let them grow for about 5 days. Then they put them (we are hoping for two) back into you and you have to take progestrone shots for about 10 weeks if you get pregnant in order to hopefully prevent a m/c (I think that is why - not sure). Basically you want as many eggs to work with as possible, since many don't survive the 5-day growing period, many don't survive the spermination, and some will be lower quality than others. If you end up with more eggs than you need, you can freeze them to use later with frozen embryo transfer, or donate them. We are freezing them until we decide not to, and then donating them.

I think I got it right, Blue may know more than I do - this is my first time, and she has already been through it.

Oh, and Smiles, my DH has a similar attitude. He is fine with just DS. I am the one pushing for the fertility treatments (we have insurance that pays for it), and he just goes along, but if it were totally up to him we would not be ttc at all. Lucky for me, he goes along with what I want.

rcr - I think you explained it quite well!!!  Nice job!!!  Thanks for starting the new thread and I sure hope your work drama get straightened out.  That sucks!!!!

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

Old 02-04-2011, 11:58 PM

Hi everyone,

I finally decided to book a time to begin more testing at the local health center. (This is how it works here, they will then refer me further.) I came to the conclusion that I don't want to have to look back and regret things when I am older. So... the earliest opening they had is on dd's 6th birthday. It is not a problem, but what a way to remind me that things have not been working. The doctor I will see is straight out of medical school. Of course I can try to tell myself that she has the latest information on everything. However, more likely, she will not even get half of what I will say...

Anyway, will have that appointment in 5 weeks. Then, I guess, she will send me somewhere else, where the lines are looong, so I have no idea when something will actually happen. I may then try to see which things I might want to pay for to have them done earlier or something. The goal is to do all the testing here that I can get done for free. If nothing is found, then we will reconsider a consultation with the immonology specialist in the USA. What's the point of paying for that (+ expensive blood tests) and then finding out the matter was something I could have found out about here. We can't afford the immunology treatment, anyway, so I am still not sure that I want to pay for all that stuff just to have closure. We'll see.

So far, here are my issues:

- hypothyroidism (meds at a good level and I feel good)

- Mucus never came back after dd, I only have a fraction of what I used to have

- Although everything points to the fact that I oculate regularly, I wonder why I never get a truly positive opk

- I have endless little cramps around ovulation and most of the TWW (never used to have this)

- I have issues with carbs... I do great when I eat vegetables, fish, meat, etc. I made the mistake of having a pizza last night and got a headache and got super tired, a total crash.

I do have hope that I will, with the help of tests and doctors, find out something, whether that results in more children or not.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:

SweetBee - not that I am an expert, but I thought that spotting BEFORE your period can indicate low progesterone or LP issue, but spotting after your period was normal and no big deal. When you say "prolonged" how long do you mean? Like what CD is the last day of spotting?

ETA: I looked at your chart. CD 10? I don't think I would be really worried about that, but again, not an expert.

I have 1-2 days of spotting at the end of my cycle, but my LP is 12-14 days (most often 13), so I guess that's not so bad? I usually have a few days of spotting after real flow has stopped, which doesn't bother me really. It's just when I'm spotting on CD11 (which I am today), it seems not quite normal. Esp. since I had 2 days of nothing, then spotting again. And yesterday could maybe be "light". What do you all call light? There was quite a bit on the toilet paper when wiping and some in my panties but not soaked through or anything.

And I guess when I combine this weird spotting with my long cycles/delayed ovulation, I am concerned. Then there was the cycle with CD30 O and gearing up to O twice before that (the 2nd time with a + OPK even). Oh, and LessTraveledBy, I also get tiny pains/cramps/twinges around O and during the TWW. But I since my body takes a few weeks to O, I get them every few days before O, too.

Wow, I sound like a mess. orngtongue.gif

Happy weekend, everyone! Hugs to everyone dealing with needles.

Mama to our little boy (3) babyf.gif , the amazing super squirmer, almost born in the taxi...

and our new baby girl stork-girl.gif, caught by her daddy in our bathtub!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:48 PM

LTB glad you are going to the health center. I hope they will be able to give you some answers!

SweetBee, I have had spotting like that happen to me, where I had a day where I thought my period was done but then it came back. But I don't think i've had 2 or more days of nothing and then more..that might concern me. But still, I don't think it's a progesterone issue given your good LP. Maybe just call the ob.gyn or midwife you use? Maybe Jane knows?

All this talk of shots has really scared me, ladies!

I am bummed tonight because I thought I was 9dpo but today I had some serious watery CM. So now I am pretty sure I didn't O after all. I hate having these crazy cycles, and this one is particularly long and wacky. I think I'm on CD71. We'll see though what happens. Maybe it was a fluke, my temps are still high. If I don't start on Wed. or Thurs, I will test, and if BFN and no period happen, I'll know I didn't O. Ugh. I don't even know what to hope for anymore! And we are going to California for a week, leaving this coming Saturday. So, I will not want to be having my period while we are there. It's going to be stressful no matter what because my IL's are so nuts. I am going to need lots of prayer/good vibes and I'm sure I'll be whining to y'all both before and after! Plus I am not a good flyer. And of course we're flying, because it's over 2 days worth of driving to get there. There will also, I'm sure, be questions about when/if we are having more children.

And we will also be seeing SIL, who insisted her DH get a vasectomy because, and I'm quoting here, she would rather drive a BMW than have any more kids. They only have one child, who they treat as a major nuisance. So it is very difficult for us to be around them! It's not that I want them to have more children, it's just their attitude toward their daughter and their attitude toward us. They make easily half a million per year, and still SIL says she can't possibly afford another child. We make nothing compared to that and desperately want another child, so they think we are crazy and we think they are! Sigh..

Old 02-05-2011, 09:50 PM

Spotting - my personal definition of spotting vs. bleeding (used for my pregnant clients), is that spotting doesn't hit the underwear, it's just a toilet paper thing. 

That said, a few hours of spotting at ovulation is normal. 

Spotting on birth control = also normal. 

Having a few days of panty liner use or spotting at the end of a period = normal. 

Not normal is spotting for days before a period. It's a sign that the luteal cyst is just not supporting the endometrium (the uterine lining) well.  That may point to inadequate egg production or maturation, or an inadequate response to progesterone that is being produced.  When this is an issue, you've got several issues with conception.  If the egg isn't matured properly,  it won't pop out well, and may not be present for fertilization.  Also, it may not have the right coating on it to allow sperm to penetrate.  Potentially, it might not have the chromosomes it needs if it didn't divvy nice.  When it reaches the uterus, the uterus lining might be days behind where it is supposed to be, not making a thick fluffy lining.  Then, it may start to shed early, disrupting the embryo implanting. 

That said, most women with an issue have ONE of those problems, not all of them.  But, if egg quality is the issue, all the progesterone taken after Ovulation isn't going to help.  If the issue is just premature shed of the lining, then progesterone is the magic ticket to delay menstruation until implantation occurs. 

It's normal to have a funky cycle once in a while.  Or, to have more funky cycles as you get older. 

You can also just pop a capiliary in the cervix with sex or a bowel movement, and look like you're spotting from the uterus, when it's merely harmless cervical spotting. 

I do have a bias towards doing things to maintain general health, but also to just get off the porch and get the $40 worth of clomid or the $50 of Femara and quit with the acupuncture and the chi balancing, and the flower essences, etc.  Or get the metformin or the thyroid medication that's required and go from there.  Some of my bias is financial.  Some is personal - it has worked for me to take medications not herbs or vitamins.  Some is professional - as a midwife, I see what gets my clients pregnant.  It's not acupuncture.  It's clomid.   If you want to hear bias, ask me about birth control!  I never see IUD failures, but everything else, I do not trust!  I can't be unbiased, so the best I can do is present my biases for review.  biggrinbounce.gif

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 PM

OH, PS, Can I be moved to BFPs?  Due 10-3. 

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 02-06-2011, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

You have to give yourself your own trigger for IUI? At my clinic if after one of the US's they decide the follicles are ready, then they just do the shot right there before I leave. I have had to put up with a lot of needles (mostly 1897028734 blood draws!), but I have not had to stick myself. That would be scary! Good luck for your IUI tomorrow, mine was on Wed so I guess I am 2DPO.

Yeah they had me trigger at night at home so that I could come in this morning 36 hrs later.  I guess it makes sense but it was so traumatic for me.  Ugh!  That being said, the IUI was weird.  I had cramping like AF style for a while, then off and on all day.  I got to watch them inject the sperm via ultrasound too, it was neato.  My first official REAL 2ww! :D  I'm already using cheapo hpts to watch the trigger shot fade from my system in hopes I will see a real bfp later before my blood test in 2 weeks.  Who knows!

Mom to 3 , 1 , 10 hermit crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12
Old 02-06-2011, 06:41 AM

Old 02-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Sweet.Bee - I have spotting issues after my AF some cycles as well. Although according to Jane's definition, I guess mine would actually be light flow. This cycle was a good example if you want to look at my chart. Most of what I marked spotting, though, actually hit my undies and not just the TP. I'd say CD 4 and CD 10 were the only actual spotting going by Jane's definition.

Jane - Thank you for the detailed response re spotting and LP issues. Very helpful!

Hugs to all of you in fertility treatments right now. Sounds scary.

AFM - I woke up early this morning around 4 and really had to pee so I tested. It's only 9 DPO so I got BFN as expected. But my temp was up at 7 when I took it so maybe something positive is happening...

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

User Tag List