Comment for those TTC after miscarriage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-05-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have any of you been talked to about this negative blood type business and needing a shot?  I'm pregnant now, but barely (15 DPO).  My doc said in the event that I lose the fetus I need to get my blood type tested because a person who has RH negative blood (which I believe would be like A- or O- or anything with the negative after it) or if the fetus has a chance at having a negative blood type (if the father did) then I would need a special shot because once the fetus's blood came in contact with mine, whether at miscarriage or at birth, my body could attack the antibodies in the blood and I would have a difficult time getting pregnant again because it would think everything is a foreign matter to be attacked or something along those lines (I was taking in a lot of info at the time!)

I was surprised I had never heard of this before because I was addicted to the internet and forums during the time we were TTC and the 2WW and never saw anything like this.  It made me wonder how many women may have early miscarriages or chemical pregnancies and not realize if they have RH negative blood and that they need to do something about it. Anyone had the shot, or have any more information on this?

#2 of 6 Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 AM

Hi :)

Yes, it is true - if you have a Rh- blood type, your antibodies will see the foreign blood as a toxin, something that needs to be eliminated (but usually only if there's some kind of rupture during pregnancy or birth - the shots are given as a precaution).  I am a negative blood type (ORhDneg), but they didnt give me the RhoGAM shots when I was pg with DS because he was my first pregnancy.  (Your blood type is only an issue if the fetus/baby's blood type is positive...  if it's negative there is no incompatibility).  DH and DS are both positive - and after 4 early losses I think it's probably time I had the shots....

ETA:  oh, and it's only an issue if you are negative and your partner is a positive blood group.  If you are both negative there is no incompatibility.  Might be worth having him tested too :)

#3 of 6 Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 AM

I am Rh- and my DH is Rh+. I feel like every time I turn around, somebody is sticking me with RhoGAM! I've had it after both of my losses and after both of my live births.

Does your partner know his blood type? If he's ever donated blood, they should have send him a card with his blood type on it. Like musicoholic said, if he's negative too, there's no point in having them stick you!

Mommy to a boy (6), girls (4&2), and our baby boy (8 months)

Missing Ashlyn 10/18/06 and Brennan 10/18/10
#4 of 6 Old 02-08-2011, 05:38 AM

Music , etc - it's worth looking into the shots as soon as possible after a miscarriage because apparently they are only effective for several months after a miscarriage. I ran into this situation with my last miscarriage; with all the other miscarriages I was given the shot while miscarrying. However, with the most recent miscarriage, nobody mentioned the RhoGAM. About a week later I started wondering about it, so I went to the doctor's and he gave me a shot. Everything I read on the web said you needed to have the RhoGAM within 72 hours of the miscarriage to prevent sensitization, but he told me that its more like six months. Apparently the risk of sensitization after a miscarriage is pretty small, but it seems worth it, given the alternative (sensitization).

#5 of 6 Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 AM

Yes, like PPs said, being Rh- is a real thing and the Rhogam shot is a legitimate thing. I've had it after each child and my miscarriage.

Of course, you will find those who speak out against it, but for me the evidence was overwhelming in favor of accepting the injections.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#6 of 6 Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 AM

I have been worried about this for a while now.  I had a m/c and have had an appointment to see my midwife but it keeps getting receduled and I don't know my bloodtype or my partners bloodtype.  Should I be really worried?  I had my m/c on Dec 25, 2010.

Awesome vegan mom to wolverine babyf.gif11/11 and sabertooth 11/13 and partner to a drum.gifwe also have dog2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page