Just got copper IUD out!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any of you have experience with it? How long did it take you to get pregnant? My gyno said it takes some women a cycle or 2 to remove all the copper residue from the uterus. Thoughts?

Excited and nervous all at the same time. I have a 4 year old, a 2 year old so this will be number 3. We want a larger family though, so I don't really know why my nerves are going crazy about it ;)

Anyone who's had experience with IUD removal, please share how soon you were able to conceive! Thanks in advance

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes please, do share!

Mine is coming out next Monday, to TTC #1! So excited and nervous too.

Celtic--how was the removal? Insertion was bad! Fingers crossed removal won't be!

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#3 of 14 Old 03-15-2011, 01:18 PM

I'm curious too, as I had mine removed a few weeks ago.  Heck, if I'm lucky, I'll have an answer for you soon!  :) 

BTW, I thought the removal was a piece of cake.  My dr did it right after she did my pap.  I actually thought the pap just pinched a lot, that's how quick it was.  I cramped a little and had some light spotting for the rest of the day, but that was it.

#4 of 14 Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 PM

I didn't get to try right away after, and my removal was not easy - only because the string had retracted, so they had to dilate my cervix and get right up in there.  To do that they had to put me under.  I bled about like a medium period, but only for a few hours.  They told me that I would probably not be able to get pregnant for one cycle afterward (six weeks, and I was around 2 weeks from ovulating), but I think that was because of the cervical dilation, not because of the IUD itself.

My husband was away at work, though, so we didn't get to try for a while.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#5 of 14 Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 PM

I had mine out at the end of October.  In my case AF had actually showed that morning so I was able to start a brand new cycle right away.   It took three cycles from there to get pregnant.  Cycle #3 though was the first one that we were really trying AND I had great timing with.

The only thing "odd" following the IUD removal was that my next period was HORRIBLE!  So the one that happened right away, normal IUD cycle (had mine in for 8 and a half years).  The next one?  Evil, Evil, Evil!  Seriously bad cramping, super heavy bleeding, and lots of thick brown discharge at the end.  It was totally painful and totally strange.  I also felt though that that was what I needed to truly clean my body out post-IUD.  My next period was normal pre-IUD, not really crampy and fairly light, then I got my BFP :).

I hope my experience helps a bit and best of luck to all of you!

ETA:  Removal was a breeze for me and I was a bit worried that I had had it so long that adhesion would be an issue.  Nope, no problem at all and it was out in just a few seconds.

Alexis, mom to DS 11/99 DD1 01/02 and DD2 09/23/11.
#6 of 14 Old 03-16-2011, 12:16 PM

Hi again ladies- I hoped I would have an answer soon, and here it is.  I had proof positive last night that it's possible to get pregnant right away after removing your IUD... wink1.gif  I had mine taken out somewhere around week 3 in my cycle, so I did have a period in between removal and starting TTC.

#7 of 14 Old 03-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini13 View Post

Hi again ladies- I hoped I would have an answer soon, and here it is.  I had proof positive last night that it's possible to get pregnant right away after removing your IUD... wink1.gif  I had mine taken out somewhere around week 3 in my cycle, so I did have a period in between removal and starting TTC.

Yay! How exciting for you!! (And for the rest of us TTC after IUD!)

Thanks so much for your responses, everyone! I feel so much better after reading them, and I'm really looking forward to having that sucker out!

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#8 of 14 Old 03-20-2011, 07:47 PM

I conceived my incipient one on cycle 4 after getting the copper IUD out. Well within normal guidelines. Sure, I didn't get pregnant RIGHT away, but no reason to think that's the IUD versus any other factor at work.

#9 of 14 Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Just wanted to update:

I had my IUD removed 2 days before ovulation, and just got BFP for the same cycle. When they say you can get pregnant right away, they're not kidding!

#10 of 14 Old 04-07-2011, 11:14 AM

I had my copper IUD removed in January 2009 and I've been ttc #2 since March 2010.

Anna (29) & DH (30) partners.gif 6.2006 :: love.gif 2.2008 :: babygirl.gif 1.2012    I'm a proud hbac.gif mama!

#11 of 14 Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 AM

#12 of 14 Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Positive.jpg

Wanted to share :) Just took it this morning!

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#13 of 14 Old 03-18-2012, 10:21 PM

H

#14 of 14 Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 AM

I think I'm getting mine out today!!!!!!      :)  :)

I used to do NFP between #1 and #2 (which worked very well-- textbook mucous), and I've noticed since getting my IUD after #2 that I don't have the dry/ moist cycles that I did before getting PG with #2.   I can still tell when I ovulate based on the pain, but I don't have the dry days.  Which has been nice... I haven't had to think about extra lubrication for 5 years!

Is there something with the copper IUD that keeps things more mucousy all the time?  We want to avoid for a few months after getting the IUD out (want a spring/ summer baby) so I'd like to know when the "safe" times are.

Hope everything's going well with all the little buns in the ovens out there!

Thanks for any wisdom,

Christina

Wife, mother of 2

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page