Ovulation cramping and timing of sex - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-18-2011, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi guys,

My husband and I just really started trying to conceive full force this month.  I am experiencing what I believe are ovulations cramps as I had them before a few months ago, and it's right around the appropriate ovulation time this month, just a tad early.  They started yesterday, and hubby and I had sex.  The cramping is continuing on today and I know they can last up to two days.  I'm just wondering about the timing of actual ovulation in regards to the cramping.  As soon as you start the cramping, does that mean the egg has been released and is ready for action, or does ovulation linger on the entire time you have the cramping?  The only thing that is throwing me off is that I don't seem to have an increase in cervical mucus right now, which is strange.  I don't know.  We're going to keep going at it this month, but I was just curious about all of this.  Thanks guys!

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#2 of 11 Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was wondering the same thing a while back and I couldn't find anything solid one way or the other. Resources seemed to suggest you should note when you get the cramping on your chart and see where that falls in relation to when you ovulate. I know, not really helpful.

#3 of 11 Old 03-23-2011, 02:09 PM

The truth is that you just cannot know unless you keep having monitoring with ultrasound. Even with very clear ovulation pain, you simply cannot know. However, it sounds normal that you are not having tons of mucus... You should have some days of lots of eggwhite, then it turns to less and watery. If you have just ovulated or are about to, I would expect you to be having watery mucus.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#4 of 11 Old 03-24-2011, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Let me ask you guys this...If you have the cramping right in midcycle where it should be, and you assume they are ovulation cramps because that's what they feel like, what if there is no egg-white mucus? Does that mean you didn't ovulate, or is it possible that you don't always get an increase with CM when ovulating?

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#5 of 11 Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 AM

You don't have to have eggwhite. However, it is more likely, I think, that you do have it, just not enough to notice. If you check right on your cervix, you may realize it is there, afterall.

Having eggwhite, however, does not automatically mean you are about to ovelate. With regular cycles it is a good sign, but it is also possible to have more than one batch of eggwhite before actually ovulating. This is common e.g. when fertility returns post partum.

If you are having a hard time figuring out the whole mucus thing, there are ways to try to increase the mucus (green tea, raw carrots, evening primrose oil.. maybe others will add more).

#6 of 11 Old 03-25-2011, 02:37 PM

The timing of cramping can vary.  It does not necessarily mean that you are at that moment releasing the egg.  I think there is no way to tell for sure from the sensation exactly where you are in your cycle. 

I have cramping almost every month, and the most distinct cramping is typically about 2 days before ovulation.  My EW starts a few days before that.  I actually thought, before I started charting, that the timing of the cramping, since it happened after a couple days of EW, was exactly when I ovulated but I was making all of my assumptions two days early every month!  It seemed like I was Oing on CD14 which of course seemed textbook accurate--but I was really Oing on CD16.

I have at different times had cramping before O, on O day, and even shortly after O.   I'm not sure why.  The pre-O cramps I mentioned above always seem the most distinct and consistent.  You could have O'd when you cramped or soon after...  Since it is early for you there is also some possibility that you are still getting ready  to O.   Charting is much more informative.  We tried with very regular cycles and quite reliable EWCM for 8 months before I started temping and charting.

Best wishes to you on your TTC journey!  I hope it is short!

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#7 of 11 Old 03-26-2011, 01:08 AM

This is interesting. Has your exact day of ovulation been confirmed by ultrasound? The reason I am asking is that I don't think there is any other way to confirm the exact day of ovulation, even with charting. The temp rise, even can be off by a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlest birds View Post

I have cramping almost every month, and the most distinct cramping is typically about 2 days before ovulation.  My EW starts a few days before that.  I actually thought, before I started charting, that the timing of the cramping, since it happened after a couple days of EW, was exactly when I ovulated but I was making all of my assumptions two days early every month!  It seemed like I was Oing on CD14 which of course seemed textbook accurate--but I was really Oing on CD16.

#8 of 11 Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 PM

Some women have slow to rise temps, but most women can confirm ovulation to the day with charting (except for some with medical issues).

That said, to answer the OP - I get cramping 2-3 days before O every cycle without fail it seems like. I don't cramp much the day of ovulation, but I do the couple of days before it.
#9 of 11 Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 PM

Taking Charge of Your Fertility. this is the book you want to read.

#10 of 11 Old 03-28-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post

Some women have slow to rise temps, but most women can confirm ovulation to the day with charting (except for some with medical issues).

I am wondering if this is the newest information... So far I had always read that even with mucus, temps, etc., the day of ovulation cannot be pinpointed to a specific day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post

the important thing is your EWCM. look for it. when you get a big wad that you wipe when you pee, you are FERTILE to the max. have sex immediately if not sooner -- and you will get pregnant.

EllieMomma, I know you mean well... However, there are TONS of issues people can have, even when they have fertile mucus, ovulate, etc. Your advice is good to the average person, and hopefully things will happen just like this to the OP. However, as someone with perfect cycles, lots of knowledge about the functions of the female body and years of secondary infertility, I would like to gently remind that mucus does not, unfortunately, mean fertile to the max, and no one can tell whether another person will conceive or not. (Not to even speak of that fact it takes two to have a baby.)

#11 of 11 Old 04-01-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessTraveledBy View Post

This is interesting. Has your exact day of ovulation been confirmed by ultrasound? The reason I am asking is that I don't think there is any other way to confirm the exact day of ovulation, even with charting. The temp rise, even can be off by a couple of days.

No, and my exact day of ovulation beyond what I know from the temp and signs methods is not necessary information for me.  I agree with you in that my point is that you can't tell for sure from any physical signs what day you O.  My temps say I O later than my signs suggest.  (Interestingly, my temps this month so far suggest an exact match with my signs that is different from past months.)  I just try to cover the window when anything even suggests fertility because nothing is exact.  I have sometimes wondered about the slow rise possibility, and it would make those shorter-LP months look a lot better...  But since my BD timing is right either way I just don't concern myself further.

For the OP:  Basically, if O happens right when I get cramping, then I should have already been BDing before that happened.  I most especially aim to BD right before I O, because ideally the sperm are already there first when the egg is released.  BD timing is intended to anticipate O.  I always start early before I can tell when I will O, and keep going until after a clear temp rise.  For me this makes my BD window start around CD11 just in case, even though I expect to O between CD14-CD16.  

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page