I hear Vitex is a God send next to Clomid, is that true? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 03-19-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, mommys and mommys to be,

I am hoping Vitex is my answer before I have to result to Clomid.I started taking it over a week ago during my period so I am praying it works. I have heard great things about it but am looking for more reassurance. I also hear that it takes a couple cycles for it to work but then again some women say it worked on the first cycle.  I would love to hear success stories from women who used it. I have been TTC for a little over 6 months.

Thank you

and baby dust to everyone.nod.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 58 Old 03-20-2011, 04:06 PM

i am on my second cycle using vitex, and i love it so far. my hormones feel more regulated, and my period was right on time.

i just started temping this month, so we shall see how it goes in the next weeks...

#3 of 58 Old 03-20-2011, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck! I hope it works for you! I have also decided to take maca root. Have heard awesome things about that too! Look into it :)

#4 of 58 Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 AM

Hi Mommies! 6 months using chaste berry or vitex, whatever you want to call it, and now a baby! Good luck! Hope it brings good results for you!

Starr630 likes this.

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#5 of 58 Old 03-21-2011, 03:30 PM

I started taking Vitex at the end of January, and got a BFP in March.  I heard so many people with PCOS who said Vitex worked well for them and it seemed like a pretty safe thing to try. 

I also added flax seed oil, magnesium. B6 and acupuncture to my regimen. 

Rachel (39) married to DH (47), expecting our first in November 2011 after 2+ years of trying!  Living happily with 2cat.gifs and a dog2.gif!
***4****8***1sttri.gif***16***20***24***28***32***36***4

#6 of 58 Old 03-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

LOVE vitex.  We were able to concieve both of our boys because of it.  Before I got on Vitex the first time I couldn't even ovulate on my own.  We never had to do anything else more extreme- vitex was enough.  A little side note- if you get pregnant while you are on it, then you are supposed to wean off gradually.  I believe my midwife said to take it like normal until I was 10 weeks and then switch to every other day and then go off of it.  She said it was best not to change anything so dramatically right after conception.  Good luck! 

mamacatsbaby likes this.

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#7 of 58 Old 03-22-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

That is so awesome to hear! Thanks for the info! What Vitex did you use if I may ask? I got mine at GNC but I hear that it isn't a good one to take.

#8 of 58 Old 03-22-2011, 03:25 PM

This is really great to read. I'm on month #2 of taking Femaprin( Vitex and b6 combo). It's unknown if I ovulate every month and when I do I think I have a short luetal phase. I really don't want to go to the dr so I'm hoping this does the trick. I'll keep you posted.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
#9 of 58 Old 03-22-2011, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thanks so much for starting this thread! I just placed an order for Nature's Own from Amazon (only $5!) and am looking forward to trying it. 

The last period I had was in December (and only one other, in July, since I went off BC last April), so we'll see what happens. Do you just take the recommended dose each day? I've also been drinking RRL tea. Sunshine4U, I've heard Maca mentioned before, how are you taking it?

Me (30) and DH (33). I have "Lean" PCOS with IR -- started Metformin 10/2011.  
Finally got our BFP  4-16-12! Welcomed our son into the world naturally on 12-12-12. 6lbs 8 oz, 21.5in at 38+1 weeks.
#10 of 58 Old 03-22-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Good luck Geek the Girl! praying.gif Prayers you way! I have never heard of Femaprin! I need to look into that. I was also thinking about taking b6 as well but since I am going to start Maca Root, I'm not sure if I should, better look into it.  It is amazing how much you can learn from others on the internet. I don't want to go to the doctor either. I am trying to do everything I can naturally before I have to take something like Clomid.

Please keep us posted :)

#11 of 58 Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hi chicajones! Dang, that is a great deal! From what I hear about Vitex, you sound like a perfect candidate  for Vitexsmile.gif For Vitex, I take 1200 MG. The Maca root, I just started but I take about 1000 MG a day. I got it on Amazon. It is the same kind that I saw at GNC, just cheaper which is great. My Vitex and Maca Root are both Natures Way. Many women told me that it is the brand they used and it worked for them so I am crossing my fingers! I am also going to start having my hubby take it. All together right now, I take a prenatal pill, Vitex and Maca Root. I am wanting to do the Vitamin B6 pill as well. I hear so many good things about all of them. I was looking at fertility herb videos on youtube and I saw a lady that was taking atleast 8 different vitamins and herbs. Seemed crazy to me but she swears on it. If you are curious, I also have my hubby take a zinc tablet. Zinc improves sperm quality.

Update me on your experience if you could :) Good luck!

I am so interested to hear more stories if people have them or anything that helped them conceive :)

#12 of 58 Old 03-22-2011, 08:18 PM

It is so interesting that your midwife recommends tapering off gradually jrose lee.  Everything I've read indicates that you're supposed to stop once you get pregnant, but my pregnancy seems to be having some issues, so I'm wondering if I should get some of the Vitex back on board... I am at 7 weeks.

Rachel (39) married to DH (47), expecting our first in November 2011 after 2+ years of trying!  Living happily with 2cat.gifs and a dog2.gif!

#13 of 58 Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

My friend took Vitex until she was 12 weeks and has one healthy baby. I have heard mixed things on it.

#14 of 58 Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM

My pregnancy seems to be having some issues right now, after I stopped the vitex cold turkey (embryo measuring small but still a heart beat).  Do you think I need to add it back in? 

Also, if you take it until 10 weeks and then taper off to once every 2 days, when do you finally stop?  Do you go from every two days to 0 or are there more steps?   

#15 of 58 Old 03-23-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Personally, I won't go cold turkey on Vitex when I become pregnant. Too many women that I know and have met say that it has helped them not miscarry.  I do know after 12 weeks that you SHOULD NOT take it anymore so I am not sure as to what women do when they slowly get off of it because I don't know any that took Vitex that did that but have heard of it many times from women online. If you just recently got off of it, I wouldn't be sure if you should go back on it since you are 10 weeks? Also from what I have read online, if you stop taking Vitex your body will have to become used to it again since it takes a bit longer to kick in but honestly, I would ask a herbalist that knows a lot about it. You can find them easily. I just know that I would keep taking it, just in lower dosage. Personally, I don't see a problem taking it once or a twice a day until you are 12 weeks. There are no known facts of it hurting anyone. I hope this helped a little.

#16 of 58 Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 AM

I am actually only at 7 weeks now.  I am speaking with an herbologist later today, but feel pretty good just adding a little back in and will also add false unicorn root.  I think I will taper off the Vitex after 10 weeks. 

#17 of 58 Old 03-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Thanks Sunshine!

Thinking about you Rachelette! Keep us posted.

I'm playing the waiting game now. Waiting to see if my temp goes up and I actually o'd . I've had days of ewcm and no peak on my monitor but days of positive looking sticks.
Sigh. Giving it time to kick in.

#18 of 58 Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 PM

My acupuncturist, a doula friend and a herbologist I consulted all suggested using False Unicorn Root instead of Vitex, as that is definitely proven safe in pregnancy and should have the same effect of maintaining good progesterone levels  http://www.altmd.com/Articles/False-Unicorn-Root-Herbal-Remedies.  I am supposed to take it for 2 weeks by which time if the pregnancy should be progressing well I can taper off.  I hope this goes well! 

I am definitely a fan of Vitex for conceiving especially if you have an LPD or PCOS.  I think the only open issue for me is whether or not to take it into the first trimester..... 

#19 of 58 Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know much about False Unicorn Root. Could you tell me about it? I am not pregnant yet but am willing to give that a try.

#20 of 58 Old 03-23-2011, 07:29 PM

The advice I got was to use Vitex to conceive (I bought the tincture and then switched to FertiliTea, which has red raspberry leaf in it as well, when my acupuncturist said that herbs are absorbed quickly if you're using an alcohol tincture, but the benefit to the body is longer lasting if you use a tea).  

Then, once you have your PFB, you can begin taking False Unicorn Root as pregnancy support. It helps prevent miscarriage and helps your body maintain proper progesterone levels. It is completely safe during pregnancy and has been used by midwives for thousands of years for this purpose. http://www.nutrasanus.com/false-unicorn.html

I hope this is helpful.  I will check in here on Tuesday after my sonogram, and hopefully the little one is doing well! 

Sending a ton of happy baby vibes to everyone!  <3 <3 <3 grouphug.gif

#21 of 58 Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 PM

I took vitex to get pg twice and continued taking it for the first tri. At 12 weeks I would start decreasing my dosage by half, I'd do that for 1.5-2 weeks and then start skipping days for another week before stopping. 

mamacatsbaby likes this.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#22 of 58 Old 03-24-2011, 04:12 AM

I've taken false unicorn before but didn't realize how helpful it can be in regards to low prog and pregnancy, thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelette View Post

My acupuncturist, a doula friend and a herbologist I consulted all suggested using False Unicorn Root instead of Vitex, as that is definitely proven safe in pregnancy and should have the same effect of maintaining good progesterone levels  http://www.altmd.com/Articles/False-Unicorn-Root-Herbal-Remedies.  I am supposed to take it for 2 weeks by which time if the pregnancy should be progressing well I can taper off.  I hope this goes well! 

I am definitely a fan of Vitex for conceiving especially if you have an LPD or PCOS.  I think the only open issue for me is whether or not to take it into the first trimester..... 

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#23 of 58 Old 03-24-2011, 09:54 AM

Interesting about the false unicorn root! I'll check out the links later. Thanks!

I had a pretty big temp jump today! After not o ing last month and flatlined temps, this makes me happy. smile.gif

I think we've got a Vitex tribe going here now! smile.gif

#24 of 58 Old 03-24-2011, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

With my first pregnancy, I used it for about three months (800mg/day) before I saw my luteal phases go from 7-10 days to 12 days, and then pregnant.  This time, I started using it a few months ago and got a BFP on the first try. I definitely think it worked for me. 

#25 of 58 Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing Peony. . How long did you take Vitex before you got pregnant either times?

#26 of 58 Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine4me View Post

Thanks for sharing Peony. . How long did you take Vitex before you got pregnant either times?

I was taking it for 9 months before getting pg with DD2. Part of the length was because I also had to use it that time to induce AF back since DD1 was 2.5y old and it had never returned after her birth. For me, maca root and vitex is utter magic on my fertility. I still wasn't getting pg with just the vitex, my herbalist suggested maca and next month I was pg, had a very early m/c and got pg again the next month. For DS, AF returned when DD2 was 18m old, a month later I started taking my vitex and maca, not TTC yet, just prepping. I got pg on our first try 2 months later. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#27 of 58 Old 03-24-2011, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Peony on the info. If you dont mind me asking, what brands did you use? Sorry for all the info! :)

#28 of 58 Old 03-25-2011, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Sunshine4U, LOL hopefully I am the "perfect candidate" for it. :) I might add Maca Root too, depending on how I'm feeling.

Just got my Vitex in the mail yesterday and started taking it. It's Nature's Way, 400mg...the bottle says start with 2-3 capsules a day, then in 8 weeks go down to 1 capsule daily. What do you think? I'm on the small side (102lbs), so I don't know if I should just take two (800mg) then go down to 400mg after 8 weeks. Thoughts?

Me (30) and DH (33). I have "Lean" PCOS with IR -- started Metformin 10/2011.  
Finally got our BFP  4-16-12! Welcomed our son into the world naturally on 12-12-12. 6lbs 8 oz, 21.5in at 38+1 weeks.
#29 of 58 Old 03-25-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Chicajones, I hope you are too! lol. I am actually taking the same Vitex as you are. I have been taking for about 2 weeks now. I am about 125 pounds and take 3 of them a day. Since it doesn't say anything about weight, I would just go with what makes you more comfortable. If I were you, I would take 3 only because 2 of my friends took 4 pills a day and they got pregnant. Def. take more than one. Maybe try 3 and if you don't like the way it makes you feel then try 2. I would def take more than 1 though only because 2 of my friends have taken 4 a day and became pregnant. I haven't found any info on weight and how much you should take. Since I have taken 3, I feel better. Ovulation went back a few days already so I know it is working! :)

#30 of 58 Old 03-26-2011, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicajones View Post

Sunshine4U, LOL hopefully I am the "perfect candidate" for it. :) I might add Maca Root too, depending on how I'm feeling.

Just got my Vitex in the mail yesterday and started taking it. It's Nature's Way, 400mg...the bottle says start with 2-3 capsules a day, then in 8 weeks go down to 1 capsule daily. What do you think? I'm on the small side (102lbs), so I don't know if I should just take two (800mg) then go down to 400mg after 8 weeks. Thoughts?

I think I also have the same kind as you.  I am right around 100 lbs too and took three and then dropped it with my first pregnancy.  I didn't have any negative side effects.   This time, I hadn't been taking it too long when I got pregnant but also started at 3.  Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page