Nursing Mamas TTC June - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 340 Old 06-23-2011, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question:  My re suggested clomid for low progesterone.  I thought clomid was for bringing on O, not progesterone.  Why would he suggest clomid before progesterone supplements?  And... I may have told him that I weaned dd... Sheepish.gif she's nearly weaned... she only nurses 2 a day for a short amount.  Can you take clomid while nursing?  Thanks!

Mary, mama to Adeline (5/12/09) luxlove.gifbrokenheart.gif July 2010 and brokenheart.gif Sept 2011, and Huxley (11/6/12) biggrinbounce.gif  and  stork-suprise.gif October 2014??
#242 of 340 Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 AM
JMJ

I'm know very little about drugs, so I'm not sure how much help I am, but what happens before ovulation is strongly related to what happens after.  Before ovulation, the follicle is developed by estrogen and other hormones so that it can release an egg.  After that, the empty follicle (corpus luteum) is what makes the progesterone.  If it is not prepared well ahead of time, it will not make adequate progesterone during your Luteal Phase.  It is plausible that a medication that would help support your body in proper ovulation would also help with progesterone if it is creating healthier follicles.  How clomid works?  I don't know.  Safety while breastfeeding?  I don't know that either.

#243 of 340 Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 AM

How clomid works

Alternatives to clomid

Clomid use and risks

Drug info

Nursing Mothers

It is not known whether Clomid is excreted in human milk. Because many drugs are excreted in human milk, caution should be exercised if Clomid is administered to a nursing woman. In some patients, Clomid may reduce lactation.

Just a few things i found, hope they help

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#244 of 340 Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Dr. Thomas Hale has a publication in which he talks about medications and the nursing mother, you might want to look into that.  I went to our public library and they didn't have it, but they did get it brought in through an interlibrary loan.  It is a great resource.

JMJ likes this.

Me & DH ; DS (Aug 2010) ; DD1 (May 2012) ; DD2 (Nov 2013)
#245 of 340 Old 06-24-2011, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Updated!

OMGEE, all of my multi-quotes were lost and I do NOT have the energy to go back and re-quote them (I like to reply while directly referencing the quotes, even though I don't leave them in my post), so I am going to try to remember everything I read and wanted to say, buty I'll probably get involved in typing one response and all the others will leave my head in the process.

Harmony - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Carmen - I'm glad that your DD is starting to feel better, or is all the way better (I forget which shy.gif ).  To answer your question.  My cycle average before my previous cycle was 51 days.  I *think* these two cycles may be long due to weight and/or stress but I'm not positive.  I gained 25 lbs between Aug 2010 and Jan 2011, my last cycle started in November...so maybe that's about when I went over my 'optimum fertility' weight??  According to the charts I am only very slightly in the overweight category for my height, so I dunno.  I am generally a very patient person...but this is very hard, especially since I wanted to TTC when DS was much younger (DH wanted to wait) and now that we finally are, my cycles are effed up...4 months TTC, 2 half-cycles, 1 egg  eyesroll.gif     que sera, sera

Everyone else....I totally forgot everything else I was going to say!  So fingersx.gif and lots of dust.gif

Laura (26)intactlact.gif DH (39)jammin.gifdrum.gif, DS (Jan 2008)
belly.gif#2 due in Dec 2012   brokenheart.gif 2/12 brokenheart.gif 8/11

#246 of 340 Old 06-24-2011, 06:38 AM

marmo - the perfect person to ask about drugs is a pharmacist.  They are often even better than a doctor when it comes to side effects, interactions, and usages.  I would try going to a pharmacy and asking; just tell them you need to talk to a pharmacist about a drug your doctor has prescribed and you are trying to figure out whether it is a good idea for you to take.  Then you ask your questions.

Harmony, 2-3 cycles sounds pretty awesome to me ... hardly any time at all!  Congrats again.  Was the one baby going to be due around a major holiday/someone else's birthday or something and that's why you avoided it?  Just being nosy; you don't need to answer.

I happened to wake at 5:25 am today, so I took my temp.  96.8.  I woke again for good at 7:10 and took my temp after being awake maybe 4 minutes.  98.3.  I tried each one in FF and both show open circles (I have the default at 6:05 am for taking temps), but the first one shows a continuing weirdness pattern and the second one gives me a solid O line and coverline.  I don't know which to keep.  Does being awake 4 minutes mess up your BBT?  I also have had a lot of achiness/almost-crampiness that I associate with O, so I think I did O...so maybe I should take what I can get.

This means we BD'd 2 and 3 days before O.  Hopefully that's enough to make the magic happen this month.  We also, according to FF, BD'd 2 days after O, but I don't think that would work, since you only get 12-24 hours after O to fertilize, right?

Baaahhhhhhhh.  On top of this, my hubby is a candidate for a job where I work (which would be OK, actually, I think), but they have been making him wait for the last month and made a decision yesterday but won't tell anyone until they get an accepted offer.  DH did not get an offer yet...I don't know if they haven't made the calls or he just is not going to get the job.  He SO needs a new job; the one he has now is killing him in some ways.  UGH.

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#247 of 340 Old 06-24-2011, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugglette View Post
(I like to reply while directly referencing the quotes, even though I don't leave them in my post),

When I have a bunch of people to reply to, I sometimes type up the post in Notepad as I read down the thread, then copy/paste into the reply window.  I did this a lot on a forum that had a tendency to eat posts, to save myself some trouble, lol.  And thanks for the congrats.  :)

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#248 of 340 Old 06-24-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cellist View Post

Harmony, 2-3 cycles sounds pretty awesome to me ... hardly any time at all!  Congrats again.  Was the one baby going to be due around a major holiday/someone else's birthday or something and that's why you avoided it?  Just being nosy; you don't need to answer.

((hugs)) Sorry your DH hasn't gotten a call yet.  The due date that we needed to skip, there was some vacation or something that was planned, I can't even remember what, but that vacation ended up not even happening after all.  But then, oddly enough, two months later when we DID conceive, DD's due date was 12/5.  And later that year, DH found out that he won a trip with his work, for being a top performer.  The dates of the trip were... 12/4 thru 12/8.  Bummer.  LOL.  Sure would have been nice to go to Los Cabos.  hehehe.

Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#249 of 340 Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 AM

Cellist,  I'm not sure about being awake, but usually I go with the first temp.  I seem to be half-awake in the wee hours b/c that's when DS wakes to nurse.

Are any of you currently taking progesterone

I am applying in (cream) about half my cycle.  This is my question:  Do you stop taking it in the 2WW or wait until AF comes? 

The reason I am wondering is b/c I am technically supposed to stop it in two days buy I am on DPO 7.  I am hoping that his cycle is the one, of course, and am concerned about withdrawing the hormone before I know if I'm preggers or not.  (Last time I used it for the first 8 weeks.)  shrug.gif

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#250 of 340 Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 PM

Sorry I've been MIA, took a bit of a break from the obsessing (though it didn't work well since I was still testing). I've had positives mixed with negatives on the Wondfos and at this point don't trust them. I took 2 strips and dipped them in the same fmu, one had a faint line the other was negative. So at least now I know not to trust them, which i really only trust FRERs and have gotten all negatives. I'm 15dpo and my chart is driving me batty. I dunno. Most likely i'm on to July for our next set of IUIs.How do i successfully upload my link to my page??

I have been lurking and reading and cheering you all on, just haven't had much time to sit and respond to each individual, i'm sorry!

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#251 of 340 Old 06-24-2011, 01:02 PM

Aka Mommy--I'll be looking out for your next post.  Hoping that you get a clear BPF soon. :)

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#252 of 340 Old 06-24-2011, 01:47 PM

Just wanted to wish you all a good weekend!  Baby dust and sticky dust all around!!! dust.gif

*iwillnotpeeonastickthisweekend*

“He allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but that life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves.” 

- Gabriel García Márquez

#253 of 340 Old 06-25-2011, 05:53 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the input on clomid/nursing.  It is a great idea to talk to a pharmacist!  I think I'll do that.

Sraplayas, I don't know much about using progesterone cream, but I would guess you would use it until af or bfp?  That's only my guess...

What does ovulation cramping feel like?  I don't know if I am feeling it for the first time or just noticing it for the first time now...  But I have a dull ache on my right side today.  My cm lines up, and I usually have a temp dip before o, so it makes sense, if that's what it is.  But it's kinda constant this morning.  Could it be o, or a cyst?  and if it is a cyst, could I still ovulate and be fertile?  It's not terrible pain, just noticeable.  I think I may have felt this before and thought it was a kidney.  I don't know, I've been wanting to get pg with #2 so bad that I am overthinking things, I think! ;)

Mary, mama to Adeline (5/12/09) luxlove.gifbrokenheart.gif July 2010 and brokenheart.gif Sept 2011, and Huxley (11/6/12) biggrinbounce.gif  and  stork-suprise.gif October 2014??
#254 of 340 Old 06-25-2011, 07:34 AM

Marmo, I have achiness for a couple days when I am Oing.  Then it just disappears, and sure enough, FF usually confirms that's when I O'd!

#255 of 340 Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmo View Post

What does ovulation cramping feel like?  I don't know if I am feeling it for the first time or just noticing it for the first time now...  But I have a dull ache on my right side today.  My cm lines up, and I usually have a temp dip before o, so it makes sense, if that's what it is.  But it's kinda constant this morning.  Could it be o, or a cyst?  and if it is a cyst, could I still ovulate and be fertile?  It's not terrible pain, just noticeable.  I think I may have felt this before and thought it was a kidney.  I don't know, I've been wanting to get pg with #2 so bad that I am overthinking things, I think! ;)

I also get aching/cramping for a couple of days leading up to O. It's new to me since having DD...I never felt it before.

Bugglette: I hope your cycles get a bit more predictable. Although you sound really busy so the distractions must be nice :)

Afm: CD12 and I'm starting the whole "I hope I O earlier but trying to stay calm" thing. CBFM is still low, CM is getting more fertile feeling so maybe there is hope! I inadvertently started night weaning DD on Thursday. She did really well and went without nursing from about 1am - 7am. The same last night. She is still waking up in that time but pretty much no crying...a bit of fussing and tossing/turning but I am able to talk to her to calm her down and she snuggles in close and falls back to sleep really easily. I hope we continue having success and that we all start sleeping better!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#256 of 340 Old 06-25-2011, 05:44 PM

UGH took a PT today and got two lines! (couldn't find the box with the directions tough) Called DH at work told him we were pregnant! Called my BFF and told her too! Then I started doubting it (since we DTD the day after O) and then I finally found the box with another test inside. Took that test 2 lines BUT the test was suppose to be a +. So false alarm greensad.gif

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#257 of 340 Old 06-25-2011, 07:03 PM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

UGH took a PT today and got two lines! (couldn't find the box with the directions tough) Called DH at work told him we were pregnant! Called my BFF and told her too! Then I started doubting it (since we DTD the day after O) and then I finally found the box with another test inside. Took that test 2 lines BUT the test was suppose to be a +. So false alarm greensad.gif

Huh?

#258 of 340 Old 06-25-2011, 07:13 PM

carmen--congrats on starting night weaning.  It sounds like you are doing a great job. 

sosurreal--did you get one BFP and BFN? 

AFM--af.gifwith a 2nd 8-day LP.  So, I will add 50mg. of  B6 this month. Ugh.  These last two AFs have been different, in, how can I say, the discomfort due to swelling (I am sitting with an ice pack right now between my legs bag.gif ).  I don't remember this pre-babies. 

Anyone else experience this phenomenon?  Wondering if BFing also plays some part in the hormonal flux with this?

#259 of 340 Old 06-26-2011, 07:06 AM

sosurreal - ugh, how frustrating!  I hate the rollercoaster of taking pregnancy tests.

mamathomas - it's so hard to wait to POAS!!!!  Good luck to you and thank goodness for $1 pregnancy tests!

FF keeps moving my O date!!  Frustrating!  It now says I O'd on CD 19, which seems possible to me.  In any case, looks like the BDing was well timed this month, so we will see what happens.  I just need that dang LP to be long enough.  If I have a 29 day cycle again this time, I think that is long enough, right.  Please move me to 2WW.    This waiting game is always tough.  I think if this month is not successful, I will order an OPK.

Where do you get your OPKs?  Online?  In a store?  Which ones have you found are very reliable?  I don't want to be guessing at results and would be willing to pay slightly more for a reliable test.

Thanks!!

#260 of 340 Old 06-26-2011, 10:58 AM

They were BOTH BFN but I thought it was a BFP b/c I saw two lines and got excited but it turned out it was suppose to be + I  instead of - I KWIM? I didn't have the box at first...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#261 of 340 Old 06-26-2011, 11:48 AM

Hey mamas, sorry I've been MIA! 2whistle.gif Another crazy week for me, work-wise, and then I had a huge BBQ for 40 people yesterday! Now that that's done, life should slow down a bit (for a while anyway). Anyway, AF showed up for me on the 21st, as expected (14-day LP again, so that's good at least). It was a really crampy and clotty AF (sorry if TMI) so not sure if that's just a fluke or could be related to a possible chemical pregnancy (see below). So now I'm on CD5, and can be moved to Waiting to O. I'm feeling a bit stressed about going into my pp cycle, I've never not been pregnant again by now! I was comforted by someone (Cellist I think?) mentioning that when nursing your first few pp cycles aren't particularly fertile as your body gets back in the swing of things. Hopefully one of the next two cycles are successful or we have to take a break for a while due to life circumstances/future plans! Wish me luck! smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post

Where's the fainting smiley when I need it?  I got a BFP today at 8 DPO.  And it's even dark enough to show up on a picture.  Took a test yesterday, too (I couldn't help myself, lol) and it was stark white.

CONGRATULATIONS to you and your family! So nice to get an early BFP. love.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Oh man! What a bummer!! hug.gif This cycle for me, I got what I thought might be a BFP, I got the second line before the 10-minute mark, it was in the right spot and the right thickness but it was color-less. It was either an evaporation line/error or a chemical pregnancy. Either way, boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraplayas View Post

AFM--af.gifwith a 2nd 8-day LP.  So, I will add 50mg. of  B6 this month. Ugh.  These last two AFs have been different, in, how can I say, the discomfort due to swelling (I am sitting with an ice pack right now between my legs bag.gif ).  I don't remember this pre-babies. 

Anyone else experience this phenomenon?  Wondering if BFing also plays some part in the hormonal flux with this?

Sorry about the AF, but it is SO interesting to hear of someone else who experiences this! It only started for me after my third child, but the first few days of AF, my entire vulva just THROBS and aches. So painful. I sometimes use one of those warm rice and herb packs, but you're probably smart to use ice instead to slow the blood flow. Maybe I'll try that next month (if I get a period, hopefully I don't)!!

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#262 of 340 Old 06-26-2011, 03:02 PM

Cellist- I used the Wondfo OPKs last month for the first time (first time ever using OPKs) . I got them from Amazon. I think they were pretty accurate. I saved about 8-10 in a row so that I could compare/contrast. I could see the two that looked positive after comparing them to the before and afters.

sosurreal-How very, very frustrating that must have been!! 

AFM-I was really, really sick with a stomach bug Fri-Sat and was really worried about feeding DD since she still basically is EBF. DH tried to give her some pumped breastmilk in a sippy and she wanted nothing to do with it. He also tried to give her some other foods, but she of course didn't want them either. greensad.gif Poor baby! It was rough on all of us. (Rambling now...) So, I had myself about convinced to stop TTC. What would DD and I do if I got pregnant and my milk dried up? And, as sick as I was feeling I remembered I don't want to feel the morning sickness that comes with. Then today at lunch DD ate more than she ever has. I guess she gave up on me meeting all her needs while I was sick/recovering with very little milk because I was dehydrated. So, maybe TTC isn't that bad of an idea...If I got pregnant now I would of course hope I would have plenty of milk the whole pregnancy, but hopefully I would at least get ~3 more months in, right? Maybe DD will start eating soon. *sigh* Like JMJ said, this "responsible parenthood" can be difficult.

Catholic, SAHM, Married 5 yrs. love.gif, Miscarried Sept. '08 April '09 & Jan. '14, DD is almost 4, DS is 20 months-we had a wonderful homebirth.jpg, EDD early Jan, 2015! I'm also a first time foster mom to a girl-22 months. 
#263 of 340 Old 06-26-2011, 07:38 PM

Hey Marmo--not sure if you got all the info you need about clomid + lactation, but here is what Dr. Thomas Hale's Medications and Mother's Milk 2010 edition says:

Clomiphene appears to be very effective in suppressing lactation when used up to 4 days 

postpartum.  However, its efficacy in reducing milk production in women, months after 

lactation is established, is unknown but believed to be minimal.

Hale classifies it as a Lactation risk L3 in late stage lactation, but and L4 in early postpartum.  L3 indicates it is "Moderately Safe:  There are no controlled studies in breastfeeding women; however the risk of untoward effects to a breastfed infant is possible, or contolled studies show only minimal non-threatening adverse effects.  Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant."

I always trust Hale as the most up-to-date info out there.

AFM, today is cycle day 18 and I think I O'd on day 14.  I am in the 2WW.  We did the deed on day 13 and 14, so timing was good.  Would it be in the realm of possible for me to already be having symptoms from conception?  Well, I guess just 1 symptom?  My nipples are super sore when DD latches on, just like last month when was pregnant for a minute (chemical, I just hate that term).  If it hadn't just happened last cycle, I may not have chalked it up to anything, but the feeling is the same so I'm wondering...  Seems silly-early for that business, though.  Right?

#264 of 340 Old 06-26-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellist View Post

Where do you get your OPKs?  Online?  In a store?  Which ones have you found are very reliable?  I don't want to be guessing at results and would be willing to pay slightly more for a reliable test.

Thanks!!

I started using the clearblue fertility monitor a few months ago and it worked well last month! I also buy sticks at early pregnancy tests and they work well and are cheap.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#265 of 340 Old 06-27-2011, 02:33 AM

HI all! I am really new here but I thought I'd let you know that I got a BFP yesterday! I am nervous as it's early days but hopefully things will work out.

Good luck, all!

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#266 of 340 Old 06-27-2011, 04:21 AM

Congratulations, zubeldia!  :D :D

#267 of 340 Old 06-27-2011, 05:23 AM

Congrats, zubeldia! 

jips, I noticed sensitive nipples aroundish/a few days after O the first cycle we were TTCing and have noticed something like that around ovulation each month since then.  Unfortunately for me, it seems related to Oing, not pregnancy. 

blissful_maia, I did say something like that; how many cycles PP are you?  I'm only on #3 and things are finally starting to seem "normal" again.  And from what I have read, it takes 2-3 cycles for your body to really be producing the right hormones in the right quantities again.  And of course stress could delay O, so if you're super busy, you might see some wonkiness.  I don't know how you and others like you do it!!! 

Carmen - I have found OPKs on Amazon.com for a lot cheaper than EPT.com...do you think they are better at EPT?  Another friend recommended the EPT site for OPKs...how's that for a string of acronyms?  Curious what you think, if you happen to have experience with both.

#268 of 340 Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 AM
JMJ

Congratulations, zubeldia!!!

I've never used the OPK's from EPT.com, but I like their pregnancy tests, cheap but very effective, and if you order other stuff from them, they often throw them in free.

AFM, I'm finally in the 2WW!  I'm 2 DPO, and we're trying to decide when to break into a new 10 pack of free pregnancy tests from EPT.com.  DH says that 2 DPO is too early.

#269 of 340 Old 06-27-2011, 09:10 AM

JMJ, I'll have to agree with your dh on this one, haha! When I have loads of pg tests I start testing at 8dpo! smile.gif

Zubeldia, big congrats to you! Enjoy these days when it's still a little secret while everything sinks in!

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#270 of 340 Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 AM

JMJ, I think 8 DPO is a good time to start.  I have an early-pregnancy-tests.com test that I got a BFP on at 9 DPO and here's what it looked like (after  BFP on a wondfo at 8 DPO).  It is the third one from the top, the one with the blue handle.  All these tests are at 9 DPO.  (Or maybe 11, if my chart is slightly wrong.)

0609119dpo.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page