Bitter Sushi Ladies, July 2011 - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 166 Old 07-29-2011, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Still spotting and temp went way up today. None of it makes any sense. I'm not happy. Not happy at all. : (  Did anyone have drama like this after having a chemical? I am wondering if maybe my body is just way out of whack.

#152 of 166 Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 AM

I think here it's starting to be a more recognized reason for recurrent mc. Luckily the first Re I went to believed in it. The NK cells themselves are fairly common apparently. Often after a pregnancy of either a live birth or a mc, your body suddenly starts amping up the immune system to fight off any future "invaders".

I go in Monday to talk to the doctor about the levels. They don't seem too high to me. Possibly they were high when I was having all the mc's and they are lower now. I dunno. My acupuncturist feels they could be lowered easily now that we know the issue. I rather believe in natural treatments than Western medicine, but then, I don't have a keeper yet do I?

They just took a blood sample to test for it, although as Milkshake mentioned a uterine biopsy is supposed to be more exact. They want to treat it with IvIg. Apparently not a big deal, but expensive ($700 or so bucks a pop, they want to do it every 30 days if I get preg...Ha!)
Also Lovenox (which I don't care to do) and baby aspirin (which I've been on for a year anyway.) Oly thing is, when I do get pregnant again, if I don't do every damn thing they want me to do and I have another mc, I'll probably never be able to forgive myself (or my stupid body) for having another mc.

She wants to amp me up with Femara to try to make sure I get pregnant this cycle since I would have to have the $700 treatment every month. It's all just so against everything I've been trying to do. Not that there's anything wrong with Femara, I just wanted to let my body do what it is supposed to do on its own.
I tried to be nice, now I'm going to force it winky.gif

Me jammin.gif DH  REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 06/06 superhero.gif ...MC 2/9 11/9 5/10
#153 of 166 Old 07-30-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk8shake View Post

AFAIK, the NKC testing is pretty rare, and not really indicated unless you have a number of symptoms pointing to it, because it is fairly invasive - uterine biopsy.  I definitely have looked at having it done, and spoken to a bunch of docs regarding it, but have not done it at this stage.  I believe that the "treatment" is steroids, which you already have covered.  Are you also on antibiotics as part of your empiric treatment?

I am not on antibiotics, although I did ask about them for ureaplasma and mycoplasma.  At the time, my RE did not want to test or treat for either of them.  I plan to bring it up again if I'm pregnant this time.  Do empirical antibiotics help with anything besides ureaplasma and mycoplasma?

I am on the following medications:

• Femara (CD 3-7)
  • Ovidrel trigger to induce "robust" ovulation
  • Metformin (1000mg/day)
  • Levothyroxin (75mcg/day)
  • FABB Tablets (like Folgard) (2.2mg-25mg-1mg)
  • Prednisone (5mg/day) (I plan to ask to boost this if I get a BFP - seems like 20mg is more commonly prescribed) (originally they had me taking it after BFP; I asked to start taking it after ovulation; and then actually started taking it a few days before.... because I think it's more commonly prescribed for the duration of TTC, and just increased after BFP)
  • Progesterone cream (2x daily after ovulation)
  • Aspirin (81mg)
  • Lovenox (40mg injection daily after BFP)

The RE okayed me to continue the following meds and supplements:

• Additional folic acid (2400mcg daily)
  • Wheatgrass tablets (3500mg daily)
  • CoQ10 (600mg daily)
  • Selenium (200mcg daily)
  • Melatonin (3mg daily)
  • Guaifenasin (to increase EWM around O)
  • Grapefruit juice (ditto)
  • Pineapple (around implantation)

There are others he asked me to quit; and others he asked me to quit, but that I'm still taking.  redface.gif

So, I'm happy that the RE is receptive to the "Beers school" of immunology, but I haven't been completely satisfied with the dosing level of the meds.  It seems like we could be more aggressive with the prednisone, for example.  I'm going to keep pushing on that, and may bring up antibiotics again.

Enigo:  you wrote:  "I rather believe in natural treatments than Western medicine, but then, I don't have a keeper yet do I?"

Wow -- I've struggled a lot around this issue.  There have been moments when I've felt like I'm betraying my own value system.  Or I guess my body is.  For example, natural homebirth is very important to me, but I may be risking out of it now.  But if the choice is a high-risk birth versus no birth, I'll take the high-risk birth.  I've been telling myself that it's not all over yet. . . .  That I can switch from Lovenox to heparin in the last month of pregnancy (heparin can be reversed), etc., etc.  But the fact is, I may just be a high-risk mother now.  After my first miscarriage, I started seeing an herbalist, and she was awesome. . . .  But then I lost the baby and something shifted inside me.  I now had "multiple" miscarriages.  In part because I feel like I'm running out of time -- I'm 38 -- I've reached a point of desperation where I'm willing to pull out all the stops and do what it takes to get a take-home baby as soon as possible.  So I "switched allegiances" to the RE and went off the Chinese medicine when he asked me to.  If I was younger, I might hold out longer.  I don't know.  It's heartbreaking in a way, but not nearly as heartbreaking as the losses themselves.

You also wrote:  "Not that there's anything wrong with Femara, I just wanted to let my body do what it is supposed to do on its own."  Indeed.  I decided to go with the Femara to potentially speed things up, and to encourage robust, timely eggs -- but I had been doing it myself!  And I had been getting pregnant by myself!  Apparently, however, I hadn't been doing it well enough.  irked.gif

Supposedly I ovulated this morning, per Thursday night's trigger.  Tomorrow I start up progesterone -- aka, "climb on board the crazy train."

#154 of 166 Old 07-31-2011, 11:51 AM

I tried to post this yesterday, but got a message saying that because I was new, my message needed to be moderated.  It still hasn't shown up, so I'll try this again. . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk8shake

AFAIK, the NKC testing is pretty rare, and not really indicated unless you have a number of symptoms pointing to it, because it is fairly invasive - uterine biopsy. I definitely have looked at having it done, and spoken to a bunch of docs regarding it, but have not done it at this stage. I believe that the "treatment" is steroids, which you already have covered. Are you also on antibiotics as part of your empiric treatment?

I am not on antibiotics, although I did ask about them for ureaplasma and mycoplasma. At the time, my RE did not want to test or treat for either of them. I plan to bring it up again if I'm pregnant this time. Do empirical antibiotics help with anything besides ureaplasma and mycoplasma?

I am on the following medications:

• Femara (CD 3-7)
  • Ovidrel trigger to induce "robust" ovulation
  • Metformin (1000mg/day)
  • Levothyroxin (75mcg/day)
  • FABB Tablets (like Folgard) (2.2mg-25mg-1mg)
  • Prednisone (5mg/day) (I plan to ask to boost this if I get a BFP - seems like 20mg is more commonly prescribed) (originally they had me taking it after BFP; I asked to start taking it after ovulation; and then actually started taking it a few days before.... because I think it's more commonly prescribed for the duration of TTC, and just increased after BFP)
  • Progesterone cream (2x daily after ovulation)
  • Aspirin (81mg)
  • Lovenox (40mg injection daily after BFP)

The RE okayed me to continue the following meds and supplements:

• Additional folic acid (2400mcg daily)
  • Wheatgrass tablets (3500mg daily)
  • CoQ10 (600mg daily)
  • Selenium (200mcg daily)
  • Melatonin (3mg daily)
  • Guaifenasin (to increase EWM around O)
  • Grapefruit juice (ditto)
  • Pineapple (around implantation)

There are others he asked me to quit, and others he asked me to quit, but that I'm still taking. redface.gif

So, I'm happy that the RE is receptive to the "Beers school" of immunology, but I haven't been completely satisfied with the dosing level of the meds. It seems like we could be more aggressive with the prednisone, for example. I'm going to keep pushing on that, and may bring up antibiotics again.

Enigo: you wrote: "I rather believe in natural treatments than Western medicine, but then, I don't have a keeper yet do I?"

Wow -- I've struggled a lot around this issue. There have been moments when I've felt like I'm betraying my own value system. Or I guess my body is. For example, natural homebirth is very important to me, but I may be risking out of it now. But if the choice is a high-risk birth versus no birth, I'll take the high-risk birth. I've been telling myself that it's not all over yet. . . . That I can switch from Lovenox to heparin in the last month of pregnancy (heparin can be reversed), etc., etc. But the fact is, I may just be a high-risk mother now. After my first miscarriage, I started seeing an herbalist, and she was awesome. . . . But then I lost the baby and something shifted inside me. I now had "multiple" miscarriages. In part because I feel like I'm running out of time -- I'm 38 -- I've reached a point of desperation where I'm willing to pull out all the stops and do what it takes to get a take-home baby as soon as possible. So I "switched allegiances" to the RE and went off the Chinese medicine when he asked me to. If I was younger, I might hold out longer. I don't know. It's heartbreaking in a way, but not nearly as heartbreaking as the losses themselves.

You also wrote: "Not that there's anything wrong with Femara, I just wanted to let my body do what it is supposed to do on its own." Indeed. I decided to go with the Femara to potentially speed things up, and to encourage robust, timely eggs -- but I had been doing it myself! And I had been getting pregnant by myself! Apparently, however, I hadn't been doing it well enough. irked.gif

Supposedly I ovulated this morning, per Thursday night's trigger. Tomorrow I start up progesterone -- aka, "climb on board the crazy train."

#155 of 166 Old 07-31-2011, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

My scan did not go well, and I'm having a curette in the morning.

Smiles - could you please take me off the list.

Me & him and our beautiful fur boys Duke and Chopz
Forever missing our little ones lost

How we survive, is what makes us who we are - Rise Against

***4***8***12**16***20***24*** 28***32***36***40
#156 of 166 Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 PM

Nooooooooooo! hug.gif

Me jammin.gif DH  REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 06/06 superhero.gif ...MC 2/9 11/9 5/10
#157 of 166 Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 PM

Oh, Milk8Shake -- I'm so very sorry.

#158 of 166 Old 07-31-2011, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Milk8Shake, I'm so very sorry. hug2.gif

partners.gif  +babyf.gifjoy.gif

#159 of 166 Old 08-01-2011, 12:40 AM

OH MILKSHAKE NO!!!!!!!!!

I am heartbroken for you. hug2.gif Tears in my eyes. Praying for you and your DH and wishing there was more I could do.

#160 of 166 Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 AM

Enigo- $700 a month??!! Oh my word. I hope I do not have NKC because who knows when I could ever afford that. I know what you mean about wanting so badly your body to just do what it's supposed to do naturally and not have to do all this other stuff. I feel the same. I really wanted acupuncture to just work for me again and it hasn't. it helped me ovulate. I'll give it that. And it relaxes me. But I still don't have another baby. I am really to the point where I want intervention if it will help me, but it does go against my holistic views of health in general! I just hear that clock ticking really, really loudly, and I'm thinking it probably won't happen without some help at this point.

Praha- You've given us so much great info! I really think I would like to do Femara instead of Clomid. We'll see what the ob.gyn says when I go in on the 11th. ( i have no RE within 3 hrs of here so I have to make due for the time being til we move somewhere better) My guess is he will say something like he has never heard of it, considering no ob.gyns in this town even know what PCOS is. Their solution to any infertility issue is to give out Clomid like candy, no testing, nothing..just here you go. Here's some Clomid.

AFM, I spotted for 3 days, now no more spotting and no period. So, I still am really perplexed by this. I have a very negative feeling that my body is just changing, getting ready for meno or something. But of course I googled until I was crazy, thinking about fibroids and polyps and endo and cancer, and of course, the evil menopause. I just feel time is running so short, and I'm stuck here in this horrible town, DH and I can't seem to get a job in a real city to save our lives. DH has an amazing resume, and now a Master's degree, and he has had 2 interviews in the past year, one of which he was completely overqualified for and didn't even want. And he didn't get either one. He is super outgoing, attractive, charismatic, intelligent, and I would think he would interview really well. This economy stinks. And honestly, I doubt anyone will hire me for much of anything..I've been a sahm for 4 yrs now, and my resume was not stellar before that. There are no jobs in this town.  I can't afford right now to travel 3 hrs each way for treatments. We have to move!!! We both just feel stuck. Stuck in a place we hate, where we can't get help to have a baby, can't make enough money to finance a move without a job..and if I wasn't about to be 36 I wouldn't be quite so freaked out. But I am. And I'm at a place where I am deeply regretting us moving here 2 1/2 yrs ago. We were happy in Dallas. We had friends, family (not alot but some), a great church, a great house, DH had a good job but just wanted a career change. And now we are absolutely miserable. I know I am going on and on but I am just so stressed that this one major life decision might have shut the door on us ever having more kids, especially with this weird spotting going on. Maybe it's too late for me. And now, because we did make this move, and it's caused us to burn through our savings, we don't have the money to adopt. Maybe someday we will, but we're not spring chickens anymore. I just hate all of this. Even when i try not to think of it, I can't help it. I know stress is not helping me get pregnant either. I just feel so hopeless that things will ever get better. Logically, I think they have to. But emotionally, it feels like they never will. Thanks for listening to my rant. I'm just really down.

Oh, one last thing..I think that my former acupuncturist, the one who helped me get DS, said something about mid cycle spotting can be when your body is letting go of a bad egg. Has anyone else ever heard this? this was 5 yrs ago or something, so I don't know if I am remembering that right.

#161 of 166 Old 08-01-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk8shake View Post

My scan did not go well, and I'm having a curette in the morning.

Smiles - could you please take me off the list.

greensad.gif  Oh no!  I'm so so sorry.  It's not fair.    hug2.gif

blanquiitaa likes this.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#162 of 166 Old 08-01-2011, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Milkshake - that is SO unfair!!!!!!

lilmom - that stuck feeling is so horrible. I hope you can get out of it, maybe one step at a time.

AFM - I hope I manage to survive my day at work today. Friday I couldn't do it, I went Clomid & progesterone crazy. I am no longer taking the progesterone so that should help, but I feel extreme AF cramps coming on.

Me (32), married to DH (35)

3 years of TTC #1, M/C @ 6wks in May 2013 angel1.gif
Mom to Liliana born May 8 2014 bfinfant.gif
mdcblog5.gif www.babythehardway.com

#163 of 166 Old 08-01-2011, 07:10 AM

Milk8shake:  I'm so sorry.  hug.gif

A and M, June 2012
#164 of 166 Old 08-01-2011, 08:00 AM

Milk8shake: I'm so so sorry.  Thinking of you today candle.gif

Me (28) DH (29) stillheart.gif 3 years.  Mom to a beautiful Angel angel3.gif Monica stillborn @ 38 weeks 11.16.10   Baby #2!  rainbow1284.gif Due 05-2012

#165 of 166 Old 08-01-2011, 08:07 AM

milkshake~ I'm so sorry.

&
#166 of 166 Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Milk8shake - hug2.gif

I removed you, so sorry.

August thread is up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page