Multiple Chemical Pregnancies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just turned 40 in June.  Long story as short as possible:  After an 8 week loss about 2 years ago, we decided to TTC #4, beginning in January of 2010.  Over the course of 10 cycles, I had 5 chemical pregnancies.  The first one started with a faint line at 10 dpo that got darker the next day and then started to fade until I started bleeding on the day AF was due.  The next, I had lines at 9 and 10 dpo, then nothing,  bleeding at time of AF.  Next three were different than those two but they were all similar to one another:  fairly good line at 11dpo, strong positive at 13 dpo (nearly as dark as the control line), bleeding two days after AF was due.  I have very regular cycles, usually O’ing on CD 13, with a 15, sometimes 16 day LP.  After the last CP, we decided to be happy with the kids we have and stop trying.  

And now, I’m 13 dpo, many months later, and pregnant again, not planned or TTC this time.  I had my suspicions starting around 9dpo, and tested positive at 10 dpo, kind of faint, but not a squinter.  After all my early losses, I am prepared to lose this one, too, and I’m at peace about it.  I’ll also be happy if this pregnancy sticks--maybe we finally caught a healthy egg.

First, I’m curious if anyone has had or heard of a chemical pregnancy with such solid positive tests that suddenly ends.  At my age, and dh’s (42), I pretty much assume that these losses are the result of aging eggs and/or sperm, and my body having the wisdom to end a nonviable or unhealthy pregnancy.  We never had any testing done and don’t intend to.  I guess I’m asking for opinions/experiences/whatever?

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#2 of 8 Old 07-11-2011, 09:52 PM

Have you ever had your progesterone tested? I would call up your OB asap because if the problem is progesterone, supplementing immediately may save this or a future pregnancy. That is a fairly common problem with a very easy fix.  If that is not it, I guess there are all kinds of situations that can cause multiple early miscarriages - thyroid problems being on the list. 

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#3 of 8 Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply, xekomaya I haven't had progesterone tested, but I've read a fair amount about it, and it seems that there is really no solid evidence that progesterone supplementation improves outcomes, but rather only prolongs a pg. that would have ended in m/c anyway.  It makes sense to me that the low progesterone in the case of a m/c is the result of an non-viable pregnancy, rather than the cause of a m/c.   When it does "work," it's because it would have anyway. 

I feel kind of weird now about posting my question, because I know no one can give me any concrete answers.  I guess I'm looking for shared experiences. I really do believe these losses, some of which I would never have even been aware of without testing early, are the result of chromosomal abnormalities due to my age (and possibly dh's as well).  At 40, 70% or more of our eggs can be abnormal, and an early m/c is a sign that the body knows not to continue a non-viable pregnancy, or one that could result in a full-term baby with multiple problems.  If there is something wrong, I would actually rather m/c very early than later.  My 8 week loss was pretty horrible, with labor-like pain and bad nausea. 

I'm happy that I feel a certain detachment at this point, after so many losses and our decision to stop trying.  I was finally beginning to be at peace about not having any more kids, and I still am, but this surprise certainly complicates things.  If this one doesn't work out, I want to be much more vigilant in preventing pregnancy, because I don't need to go through this again.  So for now I guess I'm in wait-and-see mode. 

Sorry for the self-indulgent posts.  Even though I'm pretty calm emotionally, this whole thing has got me thinking way too much! dizzy.gif

#4 of 8 Old 07-14-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boobykins View Post

First, I’m curious if anyone has had or heard of a chemical pregnancy with such solid positive tests that suddenly ends.  At my age, and dh’s (42), I pretty much assume that these losses are the result of aging eggs and/or sperm, and my body having the wisdom to end a nonviable or unhealthy pregnancy.  We never had any testing done and don’t intend to.  I guess I’m asking for opinions/experiences/whatever?

In reply to your first question, sort of. "On hpt," my recent failed pregnancy looked great. Got a clear + at 10dpo (didn't test earlier), kept getting darker, etc. I had early monitoring so by 15dpo I knew it was nonviable from blood levels, but had I just been using hpts, I would have had no way of knowing. However, it did not end suddenly, it ended up being a long, drawn-out process, unfortunately.

Wishing you peace with whatever may come, but hoping for the best for you.

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

#5 of 8 Old 07-14-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Gozal.  I'm sorry for you loss, and that it ended up being long and drawn out.

I've haven't had any betas done, but going by hpts and symptoms things still look good.  I tested at 14 dpo and the line came up as the pee crossed it and was nearly as dark as the control within about 10 minutes.  I tested today at 16 dpo (day AF would be due), and again, came up as the pee crossed and it's darker than the control line.  Because I never tested after 13 dpo with my early losses, I don't know if these test lines are any different than they would have been had I tested then.  I'm trying to just take it one day at a time.  I'll probably test again in a couple of days. Gotta love those under $8 Answer 3-packs! 

#6 of 8 Old 07-14-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boobykins View Post

Thank you for the reply, xekomaya I haven't had progesterone tested, but I've read a fair amount about it, and it seems that there is really no solid evidence that progesterone supplementation improves outcomes, but rather only prolongs a pg. that would have ended in m/c anyway.  It makes sense to me that the low progesterone in the case of a m/c is the result of an non-viable pregnancy, rather than the cause of a m/c.   When it does "work," it's because it would have anyway. 

Hi there,

I'm sorry for your previous losses greensad.gif -- no matter how long you are pg, it's still emotionally painful to look forward with hope and excitement and then have those hopes dashed.

I wanted to touch on the point you made above. While there may not be conclusive evidence that progesterone supplementation improves pg outcomes, there is ample documentation showing that both progesterone and estrogen levels begin to decline after the age of 35, with progesterone in particular declining much more rapidly b/c it is only produced in the ovaries, while estrogen is also produced in fat cells in the body. By the time a woman goes through menopause, her progesterone levels are 1/120 of the level they were when she was in her early twenties. So it is actually very likely that, at 40, your progesterone levels are lower than they were when you conceived your last child 6+ years ago, and this could be contributing to your issues with staying pg.

FWIW, here is my own experience: I have not had multiple chemical pg's, but I did have a blighted ovum after successfully being pg 5 times before. I was 36, almost 37 at the time. Although the blighted ovum was very likely just a "bad egg," after the m/c, I did a fair amount of reading regarding progesterone, too, and ultimately decided to have my levels tested, since my menstrual cycles had begun to change around this same time period -- heavier periods, shorter cycles, that sort of thing.

Tests came back that my progesterone was low, so I made the choice to supplement and conceived again four months later. Stayed on progesterone until 11 wks., and that pg resulted in my youngest child. Was it b/c of the progesterone? I honestly don't know -- very hard to do a double-blind experiment on yourself, lol -- but it sure didn't hurt to try it, and if it allowed my body to maintain the appropriate hormone levels in those early weeks until the placenta took over, then it was essential to my success. I did not take progesterone in any of my other pg's, but all of those took place in my late 20's, early-mid 30's.

Just some further food for thought...

Kind regards,

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#7 of 8 Old 07-14-2011, 01:40 PM

Hi ladies! I don't have experience with chemical pregnancies, but like Guinevere mentioned, I too had a blighted ovum. Tests revealed that my progesterone was low, so I took supplements and got pregnant with ds 2 cycles later. I kept taking the supplements until 12 or 13 weeks. 3boobykins, I know you said that you don't intend to do testing (and I completely understand why - I would rather m/c early if there is a "bad egg" too), but like others have mentioned, low progesterone is a common issue at all ages and it doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with the baby (I was 24 when I had the blighted ovum). Just thought I'd share. Keep us updated with this one! :-) 

#8 of 8 Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both.  I am considering giving my midwife a call about this.  I don't have an O.B, or insurance, so I hope she can give me some help or advice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page