World of False Positives. Which test is the best?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-14-2011, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been testing since 10 days DPO, and am having a hard time choosing which pregnancy tests to use.

I used ClearBlue Digital, figuring it would be able to literally tell me PREGNANT or NOT PREGNANT, instead of studying the lines and what not. Come to find out, it's one of the WORSE tests to take. They have FALSE POSITIVES, and although a lot of tests have false positives, this one is particular had nothing but bad reviews. I decided to take it juuust to see what it would say and it gave the icon that the test had malfunctioned. Waste of time, money and pee. I threw it away.

Now here I am, studying the tests in the middle of Walmart. I have google pulled up on my smart phone and I'm torn by all the promises on the boxes of "Over 99% Accurate" or "Better than the doctors office".. and yet the brand I've been using all along had sang the same tunes these other ones are.

I found 1 that seemed to settle with me and the reviews it gave. First Response. It allows you to take the tests any time of the day, are cheaper than the rest, and have very clear results.

Which tests have you guys used?? Anyone running into the same problem that I am??

TTC since July 2011  neg.gif

BFP on April 27th 2012   thumbsup.gif pos.gifjoy.gif

Gave birth to a BEAUTIFUL baby girl January 10th 2013. Never have been so blessed!

Baby Dust to everyone!!

dust.gif

#2 of 6 Old 08-15-2011, 02:20 AM

I'm in the UK so can't really advise as some of the brands are different but www.peeonastick.com is a good reference. It has reviews of tests and a break down of their sensitivities. 

As a rule of thumb I'd stay away from blue dye tests and + tests as they are notorious for evaps and false positives. I haven't really had any problems with digital tests BUT they aren't very sensitive (around 50 miu I believe) so not very good for early testing. 

mefly-by-nursing1.gif(30), DH (32), SAHM to DD (Jan '02), DS (Sept '08) and DD2 (Nov '09). homebirth.jpg, mostly familybed1.gif   MC Jan '09 & Sept '11,  pos.gif due 07/07/12signcirc1.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 AM

I've poas many, many times.  Only once have I had a false +.  I know for certain that it was not a chemical pg.  It was a blue dye + or - type test.  My recommendation is to stay away from those.

#4 of 6 Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You want a pink line, no blue tests or +/-. Double lines are best , good luck hope its a BFP

C + B + 10y together, 5y married, 4y TTC= endometriosis, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, recurrent miscarriages
IVF 1/6/13 angel.gif @10w , FET 5/21/13 angel3.gif @7w, IVF 10/11/13 angel.gif @5w, FET 2/2/14 angel.gif @5w
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.
#5 of 6 Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies everyone!! best of luck to all!! 

dust.gif

TTC since July 2011  neg.gif

BFP on April 27th 2012   thumbsup.gif pos.gifjoy.gif

Gave birth to a BEAUTIFUL baby girl January 10th 2013. Never have been so blessed!

Baby Dust to everyone!!

dust.gif

#6 of 6 Old 08-19-2011, 05:58 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Yes, pink dye is generally regarded as the better of the two regarding evap lines.  False positives are not at all common.  They are in fact very rare.  There was a discussion of this in another thread recently and the consensus seemed to be that more often than not "false positives" are evap lines or chemical pregnancies.  Certainly not 100% of the time (as a pp mentioned) but most of the time.  Many women are testing earlier and earlier with more and more sensitive tests so it's become common to catch a pregnancy before the time of expected AF.  But human conception results in a large amount of miscarriages and when AF arrives after a HPT+ many believe they had a false positive when in fact it was a m/c.  Like wise with the early testing, many women are not aware that evap lines exist and when they see any sort of second line they assume it's a positive.  But the line must be colored (pink or blue, depending on the test- not grey) and must show up within the proper time frame.  There have been several posts on here where lines showed up hours later- that's not accurate. 

To choose a good test there are several sites you can check out.  But dollar store tests, internet cheapies, Answer strips, FRER, and most generic drug store tests all get decent reviews from expert POASers.  What you're looking for more than anything is a test that only requires an hCG level of 25.

http://www.peeonastick.com/hpts.html (this site also has a nice commentary on false positives: http://www.peeonastick.com/falsepos.html)

http://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/hpt.html

http://www.babyhopes.com/pregnancy-test-sensitivity-comparison.html

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/tg/galleryStats.php (this site has graphs showing which tests got accurate results at different DPO)

Good luck!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page