Could I possibly be pregnant? :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-24-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope I don't totally bore you guys to death or gross you out with all that's going on! My hubby and I have been TTC for two months, we're both healthy and he has a daughter and I've been pregnant once before. I had a HCG trigger shot to make me ovulate 7 days ago... I didn't do a pregnancy test before that shot, so I'm wondering if maybe I was already pregnant...

My symptoms for the past few days:
- Bright blueish veins in my belly and boobs
- Boobs are huge and swollen (and so sore I could scream)
- Nipples are dark, and have big bumps on them
- Shooting pains in my vagina (sorry, TMI)
- Headaches and bodyaches
- Nausea and some vomiting
- Upset belly
- Food cravings, I eat chips and cheese and popcorn 24/7
- Certain foods make me sick
- & this WEIRD white, thick discharge since I ovulated
- my belly looks huge, too...I look more bloated than I did with my previous pregnancy when I was about 10 weeks.

We want a baby so badly, and I'm trying not to totally freak out or get excited because it's so soon.

I have this 'intuition' feeling that I'm pregnant! I really feel like I will be.
When can I take a pregnancy test? I've read 10 days after the shot.

Thanks & baby dust to all you TTC mama's <3
#2 of 22 Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Hello, and welcome!

If you had well-timed intercourse (generally considered from 3 days before ovulation to 1 day after, though the day after is really just in case the date was wrong), you could definitely be pregnant, and some of your symptoms are common to pregnancy. Unfortunately, there are also a variety of other things that can cause similar symptoms, so your best bet is to try to relax for the next few days until you can reasonably test.

While it's possible to get a positive result as early as 10 DPO, it's much more likely by day 14. Some tests are more sensitive than others. First Response Early Result is one of the most sensitive ones on the market. Many of the ladies around here dislike the blue dye / +- tests because they can be hard to read. And many of us swear by Dollar Store tests, so if you're just dying to Pee On A Stick, you can save yourself some dough by opting for those.

Are you tracking your BBT (basal body temperature)? A temperature that stays high could indicate pregnancy, though personally mine stays high through the end of AF so it's not always a definite sign.

Good luck, I hope this is it for you!

Mother to an adorable girl born May 2012, miscarriages in July and November 2013.
Cautiously expecting March 2015
#3 of 22 Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! So, I had sex 3 days before and the day after so I'm hoping I find out I'm pregnant soon! My shot was on the 18th of this month, so I'm going to take a test on the 28th and then another a few days later to see what that one says as well. I haven't been tracking my body temp. It's about 3 AM here and it's about 98 degrees, what does that mean? ):

I'm praying this test is positive, I think I'll fall apart if it isn't.

#4 of 22 Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 AM

You definitely are having some possible pregnancy symptoms, though I agree that symptoms could indicate something else too.  But it sure sounds promising!  Please let us know the test result asap after you test!

Me (28), DH (31), DS1 (3), and brand new DS2 just born in Sept!

Will always remember our angel babies - Jan 2008 and Nov 2011

#5 of 22 Old 08-25-2011, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I appreciate it!

So, I've been charting my body temperature and my temperature is normally around 97.4 degrees!

Today and yesterday, it's been around 99.0? Possible sign of pregnancy? :)

I'll let you guys know as soon as I know!

thanks! <3

#6 of 22 Old 08-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Hi Morgan!  You certainly are having a lot of symptoms that could be related to pregnancy, but as other pp's have said, you could have other things going on as well.  TTC makes you hyper aware of what's going on and it's just so easy to read into things.  If you had the shot 18 days ago and did indeed ovulate shortly after that, then your BBT would have gone up at that point.  Not just the last two days.  When temping you need to take it first thing in the morning after a decent block of sleep- not in the middle of the night or during the day.  Your temp will fluctuate quite a bit throughout the day and is not a good indicator of much.  Ovulation and pregnancy usually cause about a 1 degree increase in temp so if your normal morning temp is in the mid 97's then you might expect to see an LP or pregnancy temp of 98-98.5 degrees.  99 degrees is certainly possible, but could also be a sign of a slight fever, which could be associated with several of the other symptoms you are having.

As far as testing goes, some women get accurate results as early as 8 or 9 DPO, but many have to wait until 12-14 DPO.  As a pp mentioned, be sure to get a test with a sensitivity of 25.  FRER is a good one, but dollar store tests and many generic drug store tests are just as good and cheaper.  If you test on the earlier side, please keep in mind that you may not have ovulated at the time of the shot and keep in mind that it is easy to be confused by evap lines.   To be considered a BFP the line must be colored and show up within the proper time frame.  Two line tests are better than the +/- kind.  Take a picture and post if you're unsure and then test again a few days later.  Use first of the morning urine for best results and if you're pretty convinced you see something, try a sensitive digital test.  The best way to take two tests in the morning is to pee in a cup so you can use the concentrated urine for two tests instead of trying to retest with less concentrated SMU. 

Good luck!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#7 of 22 Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Jaimee! I appreciate your help! I'll keep you ladies posted...I'm testing on Sunday :)

#8 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I got a negative yesterday so I figured it was out of my system...and I took one this morning and it looked negative and I was so upset, then I saw a faint, faint PINK LINE! :) :)

Do you ladies think it's real? Am I finally pregnant?!?!!?!?!?

<3 <3 <3
#9 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 02:08 PM

Was it within the proper time frame?  If your hCG levels are still really low it may take the entire 10 minutes (or whatever) to actually show up.  It has to be colored though and sometimes that is tricky to tell when the line is very faint.  Test again tomorrow with FMU and a different test.  Did you use FRER?  You could also pick up a digi to confirm, but make sure it's one that only requires a level of 25.  Peace.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#10 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Jaimee- it was in the proper time frame and it's a definite second pink line (it was a first response test) My husband, best friend and Mom all saw it so I know I'm not making up the second line, it's definitely there. I went out and bought two different types of tests, and there are 2 in each box...so, should I take a test each morning for the next four days? Tomorrow will be day 11 after HCG shot, and it should be out of my system but i'd rather be safe than sorry!

Anything else I should do to confirm?

I know it's too soon too call the doc!

#11 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 PM

A line is a line!  I say you're pregnant!!  Congrats!!!

#12 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

THANKS, TRACI! :)

I'm just praying the HCG still isn't in my system for some freak. I'm taking another in the morning when I wake up! I'll let you guys know how that turns out.

My temp. is like 99 today, too! Does that mean anything? :) Thanks ladies!

I'm crossing my fingers!

joy.gif

#13 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

* some freak reason.

oops!

#14 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 07:33 PM

So you tested earlier and got a neg and tested again and got a true pink line?  What was the sensitivity of the first test?  If it was greater than 25 then you might still be dealing with hCG from the shot since FRER only requires a level of 25.  My friend who got the shot with an IUI tested every day after the shot and got her first neg on 9 DPO.  I would definitely test again in a couple of days to confirm and if the line remains faint I would test with a digi.  Testing every day is certainly not necessary though it may give you peace of mind.  You'll have your answer when AF doesn't show and test continue to be positive!  Good luck!!

#15 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

It was a first response pregnancy test both times, out of the same box actually!

I'm crossing my fingers it's not the HCG from the shot and my body's own HCG!

I'm definitely having all the prego symptoms! But, you're right...I'll keep any updates posted! (:

#16 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 08:06 PM

Well, that's very encouraging, then!  joy.gif

#17 of 22 Old 08-28-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

I took another type of test this morning (answer) and there is a very faint second line.

Is this good news or is it still too early? :)

#18 of 22 Old 08-28-2011, 12:08 PM

If you definitely got a negative and are now getting positives, then that seems like a BFP to me. One thing that might help is to post in the infertility forum and see how long it took other women who received the hCG shot to test negative.  That might give you an idea if your results are typical and what the chances are that the positives you're getting now are still related to the shot.  Otherwise, only time will tell.  I know it's hard to wait!

#19 of 22 Old 08-28-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Jaimee! :D I'll try not to go crazy the next few days.

#20 of 22 Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

So, I had to go to the ER for what I thought was food poisioning last night and had a blood pregnancy test and urine pregnancy test. The blood pregnancy test was positive, the HCG level was 4. The doctor said it was so low that I either had an ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage, or I just conceived. He did a pelvic ultrasound and saw nothing. So said he didn't know and to follow up with my OBGYN. I talked to her today and she said any HCG level less than five is negative. What in the hell? i'm sorry for my french but what is going on? I still have all these pregnancy symptoms. She said to wait until Saturday and take a home pregnancy test and I could just be very early in pregnancy. Then why did she say it's negative? I'm so confused, I want to scream. I was nervous before, waiting at home...now I'm freaking out even more.

Waiting til Saturday is going to kill me.

The ER doc said I had miscarried or an ectopic...OBGYN says I'm not considered pregnant...technically.

Somebody PLEASE help me! ):

#21 of 22 Old 08-31-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, everybody. I just wanted to tell everyone thanks for the support and kindness you've given me while I've been waiting! I had to go to the ER again today for unbearable stomach pain, and I started bleeding as well. They did a few tests. The pelvic showed that I had most likely miscarried. Because I was so early, I guess it wasn't a big deal to them. They basically did a few tests and sent me on my way. So, I'm on a period now, cramping and feeling like I want to give up. My husband is being so supportive, he's making it easier for me to deal with this. The part of me that wants to give up is overshadowed by the part of me that wants to be strong for my husband and step-daughter. He wants to continue to try without a doctors help, because we have only been trying a few months. I'm not sure if I will get my hopes up again anytime soon. I'm just going to not expect much, I know that's a bad attitude but it's true. This is miscarrige #2 this year. I'm sure you guys have been through or know someone who has had multiple miscarriages...and it's sooo hard on your emotions. Thanks, guys so much! Baby dust to you all...

#22 of 22 Old 09-01-2011, 07:12 AM

I'm so sorry about your miscarriage.  Sending you some HUGS!  hug2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page