HCG shot to make me ovulate...I have a lump in my throat, am I finally pregnant :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-27-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got an HCG ovulation shot to make me ovulate by my doctor ten days ago. She said to wait about 14 days to take a test...well, I didn't listen. I got a negative yesterday so I figured it was out of my system...and I took one this morning and it looked negative and I was so upset, then I saw a faint, faint PINK LINE! :) :)

My other symptoms include
- nausea, vomitting
- bloating
- food aversions and cravings
- headache
- tiredness/slughisness
- white discharge
- feeling emotional and crying
- blue veins in my boobs and belly

Am I pregnant? my husband and I have been ttc for two months! Help?!?!?!? :) :)

I'm literally in tears from excitement and fear that it could be fake.

lol.gif
#2 of 15 Old 08-27-2011, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

That definitely sounds positive, but ultimately the only way you'll know for sure is if you get a positive HPT after 14 DPO & AF doesn't show, or with a blood test from your doctor. Hang in there just a few more days!

Mother to an adorable girl born May 2012, miscarriages in July and November 2013.
Cautiously expecting March 2015
#3 of 15 Old 08-27-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm going to retest every morning until that 14 day mark! (I know, I'm a freak)

I'm just so excited, I can't take it! :) thank youuu<3

#4 of 15 Old 08-28-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Another positive today! (11 days after HCG trigger/ 9dpo)

:D

Just going to think positive.

#5 of 15 Old 08-28-2011, 06:40 PM

How exciting!! Keep us posted!

Happy housewife dishes.gif and SAHM to a beautiful 3 year old DD luxlove.gif and a July 2012 DS! babyf.gifMarried to my best friend since 9/5/07 partners.gif

I love to  sewmachine.gif, photosmile2.gif, and reading.gif.  We cd.gif and goorganic.jpg whenever possible.

#6 of 15 Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Update OP?

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#7 of 15 Old 08-30-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

So, I had to go to the ER for what I thought was food poisioning last night and had a blood pregnancy test and urine pregnancy test. The blood pregnancy test was positive, the HCG level was 4. The doctor said it was so low that I either had an ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage, or I just conceived. He did a pelvic ultrasound and saw nothing. So said he didn't know and to follow up with my OBGYN. I talked to her today and she said any HCG level less than five is negative. What in the hell? i'm sorry for my french but what is going on? I still have all these pregnancy symptoms. She said to wait until Saturday and take a home pregnancy test and I could just be very early in pregnancy. Then why did she say it's negative? I'm so confused, I want to scream. I was nervous before, waiting at home...now I'm freaking out even more.

Waiting til Saturday is going to kill me.

The ER doc said I had miscarried or an ectopic...OBGYN says I'm not considered pregnant...technically. HELLLLP.

#8 of 15 Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know how hard it is not knowing what is going on - I was in an ambiguous situation with a suspected ecoptic that lasted a month and a half earlier this summer. It was awful.

From my understanding, it is possible to have very low levels of hcg unrelated to pregnancy, so that is why some doctors will consider an initial result below 5 to be "negative." If you know for the fact you're pregnant (such as after miscarrying), then an hcg of 4 is still indicative of pregnancy tissue. So unfortunately in your situation it is ambiguous. Did you get your level of 4 at 11dpo? In that case, I would test daily. I wouldn't wait until Saturday. I used internet cheapies and got + at very low levels, so you might be able to spot a trend by Saturday. From everything I know, it is quite possible that your pregnancy implanted soon before your blood test and there is nothing wrong with a level of 4 at 11dpo as long as it doubles nicely. But it's also possible that although the hpt shows negative after the trigger, the level of 4 is still related to the trigger. My RE will not do betas until 16dpo after an hcg trigger shot for that reason. I know, it's maddening.

Wishing you the best. Hang in there!

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

#9 of 15 Old 08-30-2011, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it. I understand that some women have low levels of HCG that aren't pregnant, so I hope I'm not in that lucky group. I am absolutely going crazy! I'm testing everyday until Saturday, I don't care what she says! I told the ER doc about the HCG trigger and she knows about it, and says that isn't it. I'm not sure why! I took a pregnancy test this morning, and this makes me crazy....POSITIVE! what the heck is going on?! I took it after I talked to my doctor, but she was pretty unsupportive so I wasn't about to call back. I'll just wait until Saturday. I'm having all the symptoms of pregnancy. I've been pregnant before and I'm a freak of nature, I always know right away! I really feel like I am. My husband and I were soooo excited last night and my OBGYN ruined it and now I'm like, great. I'm praying that it's just really early. I researched online and it says it's possible to have hcg between 1-5 and to be just really early in pregnancy, but it's also possible that it's not an actual pregnancy but just the hormone.

Is there any reason my HPT is positive today? Ugh, I need some advice from someone who apparently knows more than my OBGYN. (You guys seem to know more at this point)

Any other helps/advice/opinions would be so appreciated! <3 <3 <3

#10 of 15 Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 PM

Wow, how confusing!!!  Sorry I don't have any knowledge on this, but please know I am sending positive vibes your way that you are pregnant and that it's just really early!

Me (28), DH (31), DS1 (3), and brand new DS2 just born in Sept!

Will always remember our angel babies - Jan 2008 and Nov 2011

#11 of 15 Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, Traci!

I'm trying to stay positive...i can't stop praying that I'm finally blessed enough to be pregnant! we'll see!

joy.gif

#12 of 15 Old 08-31-2011, 07:07 AM

I'm sorry you're going through this and that you were dealing with food poisoning!  That's very trying as well!  hug2.gif

So there could be a couple different things going on here.  First, and most likely is that the hCG trigger was still in your system when you were getting all those HPT+'s and by the time you had a blood test the levels were down below 5.  Below 5 is considered not pregnant.  Your OB is correct.  The ER doctor, IMO, is giving your unlikely information about an ectopic pregnancy.  There is really no way to confirm that right now.  And an u/s at not even 3 weeks will, as far as I know, always show nothing.  Usually you have to wait until 5 weeks to get a decent view of a gestational sac and 6 weeks for a fetal pole and (slow) heart beat.  A strong hb on an u/s at 8 weeks is considered a very good sign of viability.  Typically OB's wait until your hCG levels are over 1000, often over 2000 before doing an u/s.  My guess would be that since you were testing above a level of 25 two days ago (or so) and yesterday were at 4, that the hCG trigger was still in the process of leaving your system.  Which, if you are like my friend that also had the shot, is about right. Whether you are pregnant NOW or not is a bit of a mystery.  It's pretty crazy that you would quintuple your hCG levels in a day and be capable of testing positive on an HPT after having a level of 4 on Monday night.  So to me something is not correct.  Either the blood test was inaccurate (which is not terribly likely, though possible as I just read in another post) or the HPT you just took is not actually positive.  I suppose there are some other strange possibilities like you metabolize more hCG into your urine than you do into your blood.  Or you got a batch of faulty HPT's.  It's really hard to say.  I would use some different tests, though, to confirm the positives you are still getting.  Get a digi!

Also, if I were you, one thing that I would do is get a different care provider.  Your doctor is clearly not giving you the support you need right now.  Find one that will.  Is there a group of midwives practicing in your area?  You will typically get very good care from a midwife if you explain your feelings and fears.  You should be able to request additional blood tests to confirm your hCG levels.  This way you will at least know if they are going up instead of down.  Alternatively, if you feel like you can make it the next several days, then you can wait it out and see if you bleed.  But I can tell that is going to be very emotionally difficult for you and understandably so.  Please keep us updated.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#13 of 15 Old 08-31-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

I'm sorry you're going through this and that you were dealing with food poisoning!  That's very trying as well!  hug2.gif

So there could be a couple different things going on here.  First, and most likely is that the hCG trigger was still in your system when you were getting all those HPT+'s and by the time you had a blood test the levels were down below 5.  Below 5 is considered not pregnant.  Your OB is correct.  The ER doctor, IMO, is giving your unlikely information about an ectopic pregnancy.  There is really no way to confirm that right now.  And an u/s at not even 3 weeks will, as far as I know, always show nothing.  Usually you have to wait until 5 weeks to get a decent view of a gestational sac and 6 weeks for a fetal pole and (slow) heart beat.  A strong hb on an u/s at 8 weeks is considered a very good sign of viability.  Typically OB's wait until your hCG levels are over 1000, often over 2000 before doing an u/s.  My guess would be that since you were testing above a level of 25 two days ago (or so) and yesterday were at 4, that the hCG trigger was still in the process of leaving your system.  Which, if you are like my friend that also had the shot, is about right. Whether you are pregnant NOW or not is a bit of a mystery.  It's pretty crazy that you would quintuple your hCG levels in a day and be capable of testing positive on an HPT after having a level of 4 on Monday night.  So to me something is not correct.  Either the blood test was inaccurate (which is not terribly likely, though possible as I just read in another post) or the HPT you just took is not actually positive.  I suppose there are some other strange possibilities like you metabolize more hCG into your urine than you do into your blood.  Or you got a batch of faulty HPT's.  It's really hard to say.  I would use some different tests, though, to confirm the positives you are still getting.  Get a digi!

Also, if I were you, one thing that I would do is get a different care provider.  Your doctor is clearly not giving you the support you need right now.  Find one that will.  Is there a group of midwives practicing in your area?  You will typically get very good care from a midwife if you explain your feelings and fears.  You should be able to request additional blood tests to confirm your hCG levels.  This way you will at least know if they are going up instead of down.  Alternatively, if you feel like you can make it the next several days, then you can wait it out and see if you bleed.  But I can tell that is going to be very emotionally difficult for you and understandably so.  Please keep us updated.

i totally agree with everything this wise mama has said! 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#14 of 15 Old 08-31-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, everybody. I just wanted to tell everyone thanks for the support and kindness you've given me while I've been waiting! I had to go to the ER again today for unbearable stomach pain, and I started bleeding as well. They did a few tests. The pelvic showed that I had most likely miscarried. Because I was so early, I guess it wasn't a big deal to them. They basically did a few tests and sent me on my way. So, I'm on a period now, cramping and feeling like I want to give up. My husband is being so supportive, he's making it easier for me to deal with this. The part of me that wants to give up is overshadowed by the part of me that wants to be strong for my husband and step-daughter. He wants to continue to try without a doctors help, because we have only been trying a few months. I'm not sure if I will get my hopes up again anytime soon. I'm just going to not expect much, I know that's a bad attitude but it's true. This is miscarrige #2 this year. I'm sure you guys have been through or know someone who has had multiple miscarriages...and it's sooo hard on your emotions. Thanks, guys so much! Baby dust to you... <3

#15 of 15 Old 09-01-2011, 07:25 AM

I'm so sorry Morgan.  All losses are difficult and you are right to take your time to grieve and prepare yourself emotionally and physically to try again if that is what you choose. 

Doctors and even some midwives are very used to early miscarriages b/c they are so common.  I think this often makes them a bit callous to women going through early m/c.  I remember when I started spotting during my first pregnancy and the mw simply told me that about 1/2 of women who bleed will m/c and there really isn't anything you can do to prevent it.  I kept thinking there had to be something you can do, but really there isn't so care providers often don't even worry about even seeing women until they are farther along.  At the time, this seemed incredibly insensitive, especially in the early days of pregnancy b/c you have so many questions and fears. 

Know that you are not alone.  You are in the middle of it right now and that is the hardest place to be.  Please do not hesitate to post in the Pregnancy Loss forum for more support.  I wanted to also say that with my two early m/c's, I spent about three weeks feeling very sad and randomly crying.  But I started to feel much better as soon as my body geared up to ovulate again.  You might experience the same thing.  So for now, be gentle with yourself and take your time. 

The unbearable stomach pain is of concern, though.  Did the doctors indicate that it was from a m/c or that it could have another source?  Since pregnancy and/or ectopic pregnancy were never actually confirmed, it seems that unbearable stomach pain should be looked into further.  Did they take your hCG levels again to confirm that they are the same/lower and not higher?  I just ran across another thread talking about ectopic pregnancy and apparently it is possible for your levels to go up and down with an ectopic.  What other tests did they run and what other diagnoses did they rule out?

And lastly, once you are starting to feel better, it sounds like your dh can offer some helpful perspective (though right now it may not sound so helpful).  You mentioned you've been trying for 2 months?  The average is time for perfectly healthy couples to conceive is much higher, so there is little reason to believe that you will not go on to have a perfectly healthy pregnancy if that is what you choose.  And I have to say that I agree with your dh that perhaps trying without medical intervention next time makes sense.   I would also recommend starting to chart.  Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

((HUGS))  Sending you peaceful and healing thoughts!  goodvibes.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page