First post partum period or spotting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, I need some help! Obviously you can't tell me I'm pregnant for sure, but here's the story:

My daughter is 9 mo old, and I have yet to get my period back. I am still breastfeeding, but she's eating solids now too. Around the 12th I was having cramping and EWCM, and my cervix was so high I couldn't even feel it. I had a pap that day and the doc even commented about how high it was. DH and I DTD the night before and a couple times in the following days (I can't remember specifically). Then, on the 20th I had some spotting when I wiped. It was redish pink mucus only when I wiped, and only once that day. I had it again the next two days when I wiped, once each day and very very light pink. Nothing ever got on my underwear.
I am bloated, craving strange foods and really, really hormonal, and I've had headaches off and on the last two days. My cervix is very low, and I am having a lot of lotiony CM, like when I was pregnant with DD. All tests have come up negative since the 20th (which if it was implantation bleeding I know I was probably testing way too early, but I just learned that).
I didn't test positive with DD until 6 weeks pregnant, so I know I have a couple weeks to wait yet to confirm a negative, but my question is whether or not the timing even fits for a possible pregnancy, or if it is normal to have spotting before the return of a post partum period? Am I getting my hopes up for nothing?

goorganic.jpggd.gifnovaxnocirc.gifnak.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-29-2011, 08:17 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome to MDC!  wave.gif 

First a few things about returning fertility... around 9 months postpartum is about right.  Two thirds of women will ovulate prior to their first postpartum bleed, but only half of those will have a long enough luteal phase to sustain a pregnancy.   Fertile cervical fluid is a sign that your body was gearing up to ovulate, but it does not confirm that it actually happened.  It is very common for women to gear up to O several times before actually succeeding to ovulate postpartum.  It is also quite common to have spotting prior to bleeding as well as prior to your period for a while as your cycles regulate.  At first it is not unusual to have fluctuating hormones and frequently low progesterone, which causes short luteal phases and spotting. 

After my first child, my cycles did not resume to around 8 months pp and took another year to regulate fully and become fertile again.  But with my second it took around a year to return and my second cycle resulted in this pregnancy!  So it can take a long time to regulate or not!  Everyone is different and every postpartum period is different.

Now, for the timing you described...  You had fertile CF, cramping, and your cervix was high on 8/12.  You also had a pap that day.  So if you O'd around then, say in the next day or so, then you would have experienced the spotting at 6 or 7 DPO.  Implantation occurs between 6 and 12 DPO, but 84% of the time between 8 and 10 DPO.  It would be on the early side, but certainly possible.  However, implantation spotting really is not that common.  What is more common is spotting due to hormonal fluctuations related to or unrelated to pregnancy. 

That being said, if you did O around 8/13 or 14, then you'd be 15 or 16 DPO today.  That should be plenty far enough along to test positive on an HPT.  What tests have you been using?  Be sure to pick one with a sensitivity of 25.  You did mention that it took 6 weeks to test positive with your first... Was that because you didn't test right away or did you keep getting negatives until it was finally confirmed with a blood test?  

It is most likely that you're just experiencing symptoms with your returning fertility, but any time you DTD around the time of suspected O there is a chance of pregnancy!  So if the tests keep coming up negative and you continue to have symptoms and intuition, then I would absolutely go in for a blood test.  Good luck and keep us updated!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page