Positive blood pregnancy test but my OBGYN says I'm not pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went to the hospital last night, positive blood pregnancy test but maybe not pregnant?

This question may confuse some of you, because it's definitely confusing the heck out of me. My hubby and I have been trying for a baby and I've recentley been feeling pregnant. I went to the hospital last night for stomach pain and I got a positive blood pregnancy test, my HCG levels were 4. The vaginal ultrasound showed no baby as well. The doctor said I either was very early in my pregnancy, miscarrying, or had an ectopic pregnancy. He ruled out ectopic and miscarriage...so said I was just very early in my pregnancy and to call my OBGYN.

I called her today and she said "A level under 5 of HCG in your blood means you're not pregnant. Take another test in a few days at home to see if you're pregnant." Well, what the heck? If I'm not pregnant, why would I take another test in a few days? Why did the ER doc say I was pregnant? Why do I feel pregnant? Why was my blood test positive? Is my OBGYN a quack or am I not pregnant? She said to re-test Saturday.

Am I just early in my pregnancy? I really need some help, I'm freaking out and I want a baby so bad. ):

#2 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From my understanding, it's possible to have trace elements of hcg in your blood and not be pregnant, which is why they set a level of 5 as a cut-off. That being said, if you have a level of four I feel like something pregnancy-related must be happening, either you're very early in pregnancy or your levels are dropping from a loss. Do you know if you are late for your period or not? Your OB probably meant that it's hard to know right now what's going on, and let's check again in a couple days to see if it's higher or lower or what. If you don't mind my asking, how did they "rule out" miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy at this point? A pregnancy can't be confirmed by ultrasound until your hcg level is around 1500 I think, so I don't know how they would be so sure what's going on at this point. An early u/s might show nothing, even with a healthy pregnancy. I'm sorry not to be more helpful. I know how hard it is to want information and to have to wait, and I know how hard it is to want to be pregnant so badly. Hang in there, time really will help make this more clear! goodvibes.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#3 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganxobrooks View Post

I went to the hospital last night, positive blood pregnancy test but maybe not pregnant?

This question may confuse some of you, because it's definitely confusing the heck out of me. My hubby and I have been trying for a baby and I've recentley been feeling pregnant. I went to the hospital last night for stomach pain and I got a positive blood pregnancy test, my HCG levels were 4. The vaginal ultrasound showed no baby as well. The doctor said I either was very early in my pregnancy, miscarrying, or had an ectopic pregnancy. He ruled out ectopic and miscarriage...so said I was just very early in my pregnancy and to call my OBGYN.

I called her today and she said "A level under 5 of HCG in your blood means you're not pregnant. Take another test in a few days at home to see if you're pregnant." Well, what the heck? If I'm not pregnant, why would I take another test in a few days? Why did the ER doc say I was pregnant? Why do I feel pregnant? Why was my blood test positive? Is my OBGYN a quack or am I not pregnant? She said to re-test Saturday.

Am I just early in my pregnancy? I really need some help, I'm freaking out and I want a baby so bad. ):

hey!  someone else mentioned your post to me. 

it's very possible you might be pregnant, normally.  it's hard not to panic.  i know it must be frightening when you should be happy! 

there is no way you would have a vaginal ultrasound show ANYTHING to confirm either way; at that point, all you'd possibly notice was a thick uterus lining.

you could be experiencing a very normal early pregnancy that you just happened to notice very early.  you could, unfortunately, have what some medical folks call a "chemical" pregnancy.  that happened to me once, as well.  i had a positive hpt and then a week and a half later had very heavy bleeding and lost the pregnancy-- that's a situation that a long time ago, we wouldn't have known we were pregnant, it would have seemed like a late period. 

however, i've also had an ectopic and i'm not sure how it was ruled out at that point for you either, not to scare you, but your ultrasound couldn't possibly have confirmed anything. 

if i were you, i'd call back your regular ob and go and get bloodwork to see what's happening with your hcg.  in a normal pregnancy, it will double every 48-72 hours, so the number should reveal something. or you can test on saturday, too, b/c if it's risen any as it should, your hpt ought to show positive then, too.  some doctors are reluctant to see people very early in pregnancy or if they suspect there's a normal early loss happening.  which sucks.

hang in there, it's not totally over yet.  just follow up and see if you can get some bloodwork to show what's happening.  keep us updated!  hugs to you mama.

eta this:  i just saw your other posts... i agree with the advice that you got that it could still be hcg hanging around from the shot you had to stimulate your o.  that doesn't rule any of the other situations out, though, but that could be why your level was borderline positive/negative.  you really are going to have to test again on sat. and if it's positive then, you probably can rule out the lingering hormone theory, if nothing else.  i totally agree that you should find another health care provider who can explain to you what is happening-- i can't believe they didn't let you know that the shot could affect your hcg this way, too.  that's really irresponsible and insensitive of the doc. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#4 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, everybody. I just wanted to tell everyone thanks for the support and kindness you've given me while I've been waiting! I had to go to the ER again today for unbearable stomach pain, and I started bleeding as well. They did a few tests. The pelvic showed that I had most likely miscarried. Because I was so early, I guess it wasn't a big deal to them. They basically did a few tests and sent me on my way. So, I'm on a period now, cramping and feeling like I want to give up. My husband is being so supportive, he's making it easier for me to deal with this. The part of me that wants to give up is overshadowed by the part of me that wants to be strong for my husband and step-daughter. He wants to continue to try without a doctors help, because we have only been trying a few months. I'm not sure if I will get my hopes up again anytime soon. I'm just going to not expect much, I know that's a bad attitude but it's true. This is miscarrige #2 this year. I'm sure you guys have been through or know someone who has had multiple miscarriages...and it's sooo hard on your emotions. Thanks, guys so much! Baby dust to you... <3

#5 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Hang in there! A few months and a few miscarriages are very hard (I know, I've been there!) but they don't mean that you won't be able to get pregnant naturally with your husband. It can take some women a year or two to get pregnant once they start really trying, and that's completely normal. And miscarriages (especially the super-early ones that we often think of as late periods) are really common. Doesn't make it any easier, but know that it's not abnormal or a sign of a serious problem. 

Are you familiar with your cycles and about when you ovulate each month? That can make it so much easier to maximize your efforts. :-) 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#6 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, there! thanks so much. I know, it's hard to not overreact because I'm upset and not say things like "Something is wrong with me" or "I'll never have a baby" because it's what I feel like right now. I know these early miscarriages are super common. I guess the fact that I'm so young and everything, two miscarriages just don't seem normal but I guess it's more normal than I think!

I have endometriosis and my cycles are really irregular. Sometimes they are twice a month, sometimes once a month, but I haven't had one in 6 months! But, I'm on one now from my miscarriage...I'm bleeding pretty heavily. Is this considered a period or what? How can I start to monitor my cycles when they're irregular? Thank you. (:

#7 of 8 Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 AM

so sorry you're going through this.  take time for yourself, just because a m/c is early, doesn't mean it is any less emotionally stressful. 

some people think, though i don't know of anything other than anecdotal evidence, that following a loss like that you may have more luck ttc.  your cervix may be open and help with conception, etc. 

as far as charting this cycle goes, i was advised to chart the 1st day of bleeding as the beginning of a period, but you might not have a regular cycle at the expected 28-30 whatever days.  just keep temping! 

i don't know much about charting with endometriosis, but i bet there are other folks here who can help you with that.  good luck to you.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#8 of 8 Old 09-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

some people think, though i don't know of anything other than anecdotal evidence, that following a loss like that you may have more luck ttc.  your cervix may be open and help with conception, etc. 

as far as charting this cycle goes, i was advised to chart the 1st day of bleeding as the beginning of a period, but you might not have a regular cycle at the expected 28-30 whatever days.  just keep temping! 

i don't know much about charting with endometriosis, but i bet there are other folks here who can help you with that.  good luck to you.

Many women do find they are more fertile after an early loss mostly b/c hormone levels remain slightly elevated and can kick an otherwise irregular cycle into gear.  I'm not sure if this is helpful to hear or not, but this may be your body's way of priming itself to sustain a healthy pregnancy.

I agree about the charting.  CD 1 is the first day of full red flow, not just spotting.  Miscarriage can delay your ovulation, so you might end up with a longer than usual cycle.  This is where temping can really come in handy to help you pinpoint O better so you're not constantly wondering if you O'd and when to expect AF.

As far as I know, endo should not affect your charts much.  I had a friend with moderate to severe endo and her charts were textbook.  What it can do is really get in the way of sustaining pregnancies.  How serious is your endo?  Have you had any surgeries to remove tissue?

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page