Is there a natural substitute for chlomid? - Mothering Forums
Trying To Conceive > Is there a natural substitute for chlomid?
emski4379's Avatar emski4379 01:31 PM 08-31-2011

I thought I could take Vitex, but I've read it can actually cause you NOT to ovulate. So what is a natural supplement I can take that will help ovulation?

BunnyBump's Avatar BunnyBump 10:25 AM 09-01-2011

I've never heard of it causing anyone to not ovulate. It's supposed to regulate your cycle and promote ovulation. Some have said that it take sa coupl emonths to kick in but some notice results the first cycle they use it. I'm using this cycle for the first time and I'm REALLY hoping that it causes me to O sooner.

kittenbritches's Avatar kittenbritches 10:40 AM 09-01-2011

Soy Isoflavones!  This is my first cycle taking them, but so far I've just gotten BFNs and AF is due tomorrow.  This cycle I took them on CD 3-7 and my dosage was 80/80/120/120/160 (mg).  I will try them again next cycle, too.

I found this interesting article (reprinted from TwoWeekWait) which had this to say about Soy Isoflavones.

"TTC Trend Watch ~ Oh Joy! Another Soy BFP!

If you've been surfing TTC boards online recently, you've probably run across several posts from women proclaiming the mighty power of "Soy Isoflavones." If not, you are probably thinking "Soy Isowhat?" Yes, my TTC friends, the underpriviledged step sister to the infamous Clomid pill has made her big stage debut... and she's garnering some impressive reviews. But before you stop reading the rest of this article and burn rubber to the nearest vitamin store, let me encourage you to research it for yourself before trying any new supplement regimen. (And as always, you should consult your doctor trying anything new.) But I digress...

"Soy Isoflavones" is a natural plant derived phytoestrogen (phyto means plant), which is an anti-estrogen, just like Clomid. Both are known as SERMs (Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators). It works by fooling your brain into thinking its estrogen levels are low. This causes your body to reslease more FSH & LH which helps stimulate follicle production (same as Clomid). You take Soy Isoflavones, like Clomid, on CD 1-5 or 2-6, or 3-7 or 5-9. It is not thought to cause infertility if it is only taken for 5 days a month. There is not much published information available on it regarding TTC, because it is "natural", not patented by the pharmaceutical companies, and not FDA approved. Most doctors will also not recommend it for this reason.

Recently, many women on FertilityFriend.com have been taking 150-160mg a day for 5 days at the beginning of the menstrual cycle (on days previously mentioned). Side effects reported are similar to Clomid. These vary from increased number of headaches to hot flashes. It has been suggested that taking the dosage before bedtime lessens the side effects.

I was doing some research on FertilityFriend.com to uncover just how many girls have recently conceived while on Soy Isoflavones and what days they took the supplement. I found a girl who took it on CD 1-5, 200mg Soy Isoflavones, and she got a strong BFP at 15dpo that cycle. Her chart can be viewed here. Her HCG levels at 15dpo were 443 and at 18dpo HCG 1,347. Impressive. I found a survey on FF that was interesting as well: 

What was interesting is that 75% of the women who tried Soy Isoflavones got a BFP in their FIRST cycle trying. I checked the survey more recently and the number has jumped to 77% since I took the screenshot.

While Soy Isoflavones can help bring on an earlier or stronger Ovulation for these women, I must note that in some women it did not help at all. Just like Clomid doesn't always work for everyone. Right now there are a lot more women trying Soy Isoflavones so I will continue to monitor their progress and report back any news I find.

written by Elle (Founder of TwoWeekWAIT.com)"

gumblossom's Avatar gumblossom 03:28 AM 09-02-2011

Would it kickstart my body back into ovulating? I had a miscarriage two months ago and still haven't had AF. I have no idea what is going on, and just thought, maybe I should take something natural to get things working again.

kittenbritches's Avatar kittenbritches 11:20 AM 09-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumblossom View Post

Would it kickstart my body back into ovulating? I had a miscarriage two months ago and still haven't had AF. I have no idea what is going on, and just thought, maybe I should take something natural to get things working again.

I can't say with any certainty that it would, but logically it seems like it could work.  I'm sorry to hear of your loss, btw.  Were your cycles fairly regular before that?  Your body just may need a little more time to get back on track.

Drummer's Wife's Avatar Drummer's Wife 11:33 AM 09-02-2011
Vitex has helped a bit to regulate my cycles - and I am pretty sure I've always ovulated since taking it. Hasn't actually helped me get pregnant, but I figure it's worth a shot.
Stevi's Avatar Stevi 11:37 AM 09-02-2011

You could try using natural progesterone cream for a week or so, then stop it, and see if stopping it brings on AF.

Or look up abortive herbs, there are many that might bring on your AF.

hildare's Avatar hildare 11:58 AM 09-02-2011

i conceived several times taking a product called "pregnancy prep," which does contain vitex and other things.  it seemed to help regulate my cycles pretty well.  i know there are other products out there that are very similar, i think there are midwives who recommend them, or you could ask a naturopath (or just buy them otc and see what happens)

Jaimee's Avatar Jaimee 02:58 PM 09-02-2011

You've gotten some great info about alternatives already, but I wanted to mention something about your original question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emski4379 View Post

I thought I could take Vitex, but I've read it can actually cause you NOT to ovulate.

I have read anecdotal evidence that vitex can mess with an already pretty normal cycle- causing problems that weren't there before in an attempt to fix a different problem.  But this sort of makes sense to me b/c the herb is supposed to be a balancing herb- lowering or raising your progesterone or estrogen based on what your body is needing.  So in the regulating process, I would assume that it is possible for the levels to get even further out of sync for a bit until the full balance is restored.  Vitex can take upwards of 6 months to balance you out.  So it is possible that the women reporting annovulatory cycles simply were not waiting long enough to get good results.

emski4379's Avatar emski4379 05:41 PM 09-02-2011

Thank you all for your responses. I probably should have clarified that as of right now, my cycles are (finally!) fairly regular. They're just anovulatory right now.

Jaimee's Avatar Jaimee 05:50 PM 09-02-2011

Did you see the thread on soy isoflavones?

Up