Mothering Forum banner

OPK didn't match up with Temperature Spike

4K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Jaimee 
#1 ·
I am currently on day 32 of my cycle and have been awaiting for either my period or of a positive test - have yet to see either. My husband and I bd'd right before ovulation according to my OPK test, all signs seemed to point clearly to this- negative test the next day, firm cervix, little to no cm. Which would have had me ovulating on day 19. However, my temperature did not spike until day 22, meaning I would have ovulated on day 21. So I don't know for sure if I am on day 13 of luteal phase (the same day in my luteal phase that I learned I was pregnant with my two girls in previous cycles) or if I am only on day 11. The only thing that is point to the later ovulation would be my temp - nothing else. Why can't this be black and white? Please help! See my chart here: http://screencast.com/t/PWzZghe1JQ

#3 ·
I say you O'd on day 21, the day before the temp spike. I don't think OPK's can be very accurate, so I wouldn't rely on them as much as your temp pattern and CM. Though I also notice your CM that day doesn't support O!
confused.gif
But I still say day 21 was O day (I'm certainly no chart expert, just my guess). Hope you get that BFP!

#4 ·
CD 21 is well supported based on your temp pattern, but not by your CF or CP, which is why you got dashed crosshairs from FF. How confident do you feel about your CF observations? OPK's indicate that you are likely to ovulate within 24-36 hours of the peak test, not that you ovulated the day of a positive test. This is why you want to keep DTD several days after an OPK+... ideally at least a day past an obvious temp spike/CF dry up or three days past a questionable temp spike/CF dry up. Keep in mind that OPK's can be difficult to interpret. The test line must be darker than the control if you're using the strips. If you're using the +/- kind, you might miss your actual peak. Plus, OPK's are not the most reliable test for a lot of women- turning up positive for days on end, not turning up positive at all, or turning up positive at random times in the cycle (like well after O for example). So I would not put much stock in the OPK and go with the temp spike at this point... CD 21. That would make you 12 DPO today and many women get accurate HPT results at this point. Just be sure to get a test that only requires an hCG level of 25, has pink dye, and is not the +/- kind. First Response Early Response is generally considered one of the best choices. Use first of the morning urine and keep us posted!

#5 ·
Thanks for the info! That is why were bding the day after - my OPK test (positive at 4 pm that evening of day 18) seemed to be right on target with my CM and my cervix texture/position. We bd'ing within the 12 hr period to maximize sperm count and closeness to ovulation that next morning about 6 am. So that day my cm could not be checked due to the bding that morning. The next day my cervix was firm....tell-tale sign that I have ovulated.

I don't disagree that I could have still ovulated day 21...but this has really erk'd my brain into confusion...gonna try to test later today - will keep you all posted!! :)

#6 ·
You can do kegels several hours after DTD to expel any excess semen. The sperm only need a few hours to get where they are going. Then you can get an accurate CF observation later that day. Again, your OPK+ may not have been your peak day since I don't see a an OPK on CD 19. And while it is possible to have a slow or delayed rise in temp after Oing and it is also possible to have a fall back pattern after O, I'd still put my money on CD 21. Plus, if you count days from CD 21 then you can be more sure to test at a time that yield accurate results instead of possibly testing too early. Hopefully you got some BDing in on CD 20-22 as well just in case! Keep us posted!

#8 ·
Ah, yeah, we attempted to affect the gender for the first few cycles when TTC #1. We gave up after that and just went for it and ended up with a girl anyway by DTD every day for almost 2 weeks straight.
lol.gif
Then there was surprise #2 that was conceived with 5 day old sperm. A boy. Go figure!

#9 ·
Jamiee-

Well, I have to admit, that did give me some relief, as we only DTD once and two days prior to the *new suspected Ov day. So I tested this afternoon and it was still negative. I am keeping in mind that with my other two girls I didn't test positive till day 13 of my luteal phase....out of preggo tests, but well it will either happen or I will start my period...thanks for the encouragement!

#11 ·
Didn't get out this evening to get a test...wish I would've...hmm well if my period doesn't start before I drop my daughter off from preschool I will run to get one (or a few)...fingers crossed!

As for my luteal phase - I don't chart consistently, so I don't have a good base to go on for myself recently, but I have been known to have a longer cycle, never tested positive with my other two preggos before day 13....

#12 ·
I'll be curious to hear the results! As for your LP, a long cycle may or may not be indicative of a longer LP since you might just be a later ovulator (like I am... usually CD 20 or so, while my average LP is 10 days). Also, when you tend to test positive on HPT's has to do with a few things: namely when the embryo implanted, how quickly it is producing hCG, and how your body metabolizes that hCG... but nothing to do with how long your LP is. So if it's your pattern to not test positive until a bit later then you might metabolize hCG a little slower or tend to produce embryos that start with lower levels of hCG. Though, 13 DPO isn't really late, it's pretty much average (12-14 DPO).

Anyway, good luck!!!

#13 ·
Jamiee-

Thanks for all the info again. Unfortunately, this morning, I noticed my temperature dropped and I was getting light-headed. Soon after I started my period. BOO. Well, I guess I had it coming only trying once...I think I will trust my instincts a little more if my temp and OPK don't match up like last cycle. There will be DTD from Positive OPK till Temp Spike!! :)

#14 ·
Sorry AF found you! Hard to say about the BDing... you didn't mark CF on CD 20 so I'm not sure if you had fertile CF on that day or not. Sperm can live in fertile CF for several days (upwards of 5-7 days) so if you had at least creamy on that day, I imagine that sperm was present at the time you ovulated, but you definitely do increase you changes of conception by having more, fresher sperm present closer to, on, and one day after ovulation.

Good luck with next cycle!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.