How to increase luteal phase? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got a positive OPK on Friday, think I ov'd on Saturday, had some spotting on Monday and yesterday, and today it looks like AF is here giving me a very unimpressive LP of 5 days! 

I feel so disappointed. 

Any suggestions on how to increase LP length? I'm taking 80mg of vitb6 a day. Anything else I can do? 

thanks. 

me(33), DH (35), SAHM to DD (Jan '02), DS (Sept '08) DD2 (Nov '09) DD3 (June '12) (, mostly    MC Jan '09, Sept '11, ectopic Dec '13   due 10/09/14
#2 of 12 Old 09-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Fertility Cycles and Nutrition (by Marilyn Shannon) recommends extra zinc, magnesium, essential fatty acids (especially EPA), Vitamin E, B Vitamins (especially B12 and B6), Vitamin A and Vitamin D.  Getting these from food sources would be best, but supplements can help as well.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 12 Old 09-08-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

thanks so much. Guess I need to look over my meal plans and take a trip to the health food shop. 

The spotting seems to have stopped for now

me(33), DH (35), SAHM to DD (Jan '02), DS (Sept '08) DD2 (Nov '09) DD3 (June '12) (, mostly    MC Jan '09, Sept '11, ectopic Dec '13   due 10/09/14
#4 of 12 Old 09-11-2011, 05:06 PM

I have this issue as well.  I supplement with 50mg vitamin B6 and my last cycle I used natural progesterone cream beginning AFTER ovulation.  My LP increased to 14 days!  One of my closest friends also had this problem and conceived the first month supplementing with natural progesterone cream.  

Progesterone is the hormone in your body that determines the length of your luteal phase.  If your follicles are fading too quickly after ovulation, there will not be enough progesterone produced to successfully conceive.  Vit B6 and progesterone cream can correct this problem.  Check out some info online...  here's a link I read:  http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/luteal-phase-defect.html

BEST WISHES!

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#5 of 12 Old 09-11-2011, 05:45 PM

B6 did nada for my LP but NPC took my LP from 6 days to being pregnant in only two cycles. I'm about to start on it again to TTC #4! :)

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#6 of 12 Old 09-11-2011, 05:57 PM

I have been thinking about trying natural progesterone cream- but I'm concerned about starting it without talking to a midwife or obgyn.  My LP has increased from 8 days to 10 days with 100 mg B6.  But I still worry that 10 days isn't long enough.  I am hoping to meet with a new midwife this next week and maybe can get some advice from her regarding this.

For those of you that used NPC to become pregnant, when did you stop using it?

Me (28), DH (31), DS1 (3), and brand new DS2 just born in Sept!

Will always remember our angel babies - Jan 2008 and Nov 2011

#7 of 12 Old 09-11-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traci447 View Post

I have been thinking about trying natural progesterone cream- but I'm concerned about starting it without talking to a midwife or obgyn.  My LP has increased from 8 days to 10 days with 100 mg B6.  But I still worry that 10 days isn't long enough.  I am hoping to meet with a new midwife this next week and maybe can get some advice from her regarding this.

For those of you that used NPC to become pregnant, when did you stop using it?

I stopped taking it around 14 weeks.

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#8 of 12 Old 09-12-2011, 03:39 PM

For me it was a combination of Maca Root, B6 and NPC that got my first BFP, and my first LP longer than 4 days!   I'm now in the two week wait as I'm TTC #2 using the same methods.  And again, this is my second LP that has ever been longer than 4 days besides my first pregnancy! 

With my first pregnancy, I stopped taking NPC around 6 weeks, and I can't remember why I did, but next time I will continue longer.  :-)

First time Mama, in love with my DH and we're in LOVE with our baby girl!!!
mdcblog5.gif
#9 of 12 Old 09-12-2011, 05:23 PM

How much NPC did you use? I used it the last two cycles (along with b6) and my LP was only 8 days.

S (35yo) wife to T (36yo) and mamma to my princess M (5/10/10).  After 3 losses in 2012, found an AMAZING doctor and gave birth to baby sister S on 11/12/13.
#10 of 12 Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 PM

I used 1/4 tsp two times a day.  Speaking of that, time for me to go apply some now! :-)

First time Mama, in love with my DH and we're in LOVE with our baby girl!!!
mdcblog5.gif
#11 of 12 Old 09-16-2011, 03:41 PM

Hi Niniel--how is it going?

I like the suggestions for lengethening LP. I've read alot of discussion on which NPC to use-any preferences? (I use NOW 1 pump 2x day, but I've read a concern about the aloe vera it contains).

Also, when do you apply it during the month? (I apply once temps confirm O until AF).

Does anyone use a B complex? (I using Jarrow B-Right, it has the lowest quantities of all of the B vitamins--25mg B6, 100 mcg B12, etc. b/c I wanted to start low and see how I do).

Finally, Vitamin C? (I'm taking 1,000mg daily that includes a balance of Cal/Mag). I've read that this can be helfpul for men to take also.

Hope this aren't too many Q's!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#12 of 12 Old 09-21-2011, 06:27 PM

which brand do you recommend? I'm a short luteal phase-er too, and have tried one brand of cream, but didn't notice a huge difference.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page