Maca causes migraines for me ~ what does this mean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-23-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When I was TTC my #3, I took 1000mg/day maca capsules.  I had extreme amounts of CM - and conceived the first cycle that I used maca.  Other than that, I had no effects from maca. 

Now, I'm TTC my #4 and started taking maca a few days ago (at the beginning of my cycle).  First, I used the Navitas maca powder.  I started at 1 tablespoon a day - resulting in a migraine.  Then I reduced to 1 teaspoon a day - and still got a migraine.  Yesterday, I only took 1000mg of maca capsules - just like when TTC my #3.  During the night I developed a migraine.  (FWIW, all of my maca migraines become very intense during the night.)

Does anyone have ideas about what could be wrong with me?  Why is maca causing migraines for me when it never did before?

I am gluten intolerant / gluten free now, but I don't think that maca contains gluten.  Excedrin Migraine works right away for the maca-induced migraines, though I really hate taking that when TTC.

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 AM

Not sure about the Migraines, but I took maca for a couple of months when ttc the first time, stopped for a few months and when I started taking it again it gave me terrible stomache cramps. This was the same maca from the same bottle and nothing else had changed. I sort of think maybe my body was sensitized to it by taking it the first time? Maybe the same is happening with you?

Carlin

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#3 of 7 Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Carlin :)  I've heard about the stomach issues - not fun. 

#4 of 7 Old 09-23-2011, 04:52 PM

So, I was doing a little more reading on Maca, just out of curiousity and/or boredom and it seems that it's actually considered a natural remedy for migraines??? Very strange.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#5 of 7 Old 09-23-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

I've read this too.  Weird that I am getting the opposite...  Usually the only time I ever get migraines is shortly before AF starts or early AF.  This is making me think that maca is causing some kind of hormone issue, similar to getting AF.  The maca migraines are MUCH more severe than the AF ones, though.

I'm so disappointed that I can't take maca, as I'm afraid that I could really use the extra help ttc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin View Post

So, I was doing a little more reading on Maca, just out of curiousity and/or boredom and it seems that it's actually considered a natural remedy for migraines??? Very strange.

#6 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 09:19 AM

I know this thread is a few days old, but I just wanted to add that I, too, felt hesitant using maca (mainly b/c I wanted to wait to see if the supplements would work first) but also based on anecdotal evidence (migraines, etc.). It's hard to know with how things are going to react to your body!

I hope that you find something that works!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#7 of 7 Old 09-05-2013, 01:03 PM

I had trouble with migraines related to maca powder. For me, it was clearly a withdrawal effect. I had to take maca every day, and even then I had troubles with little nagging headaches (these are always the warning that I'm eventually going to have a problem with a migraine). If I missed a day of maca, a 3 day migraine would set in, and nothing would help it.

I have a similar problem with coffee, coca-cola, black tea, green tea with added yerba mate.

BUT I don't have this problem with green tea alone, even at 4 cups of green tea a day. I do brew my green tea at 180 degrees or lower to lessen the amount of caffeine, but the cause of the migraine seems more complicated than simply caffeine content and caffeine withdrawal.

I loved the energy from maca and took it for menopause related issues which it seemed to help. But the migraines were too much of a problem to continue using it.

Few people I know have anything similar to these problems. . .  but for me this self-knowledge about what causes my migraines is very freeing.

Interesting to note that both caffeine and maca are also recommended to stop migraines, but I don't think that would work for me. Hair of the dog?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page