How soon after a miscarriage can you conceive again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-24-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, so this month my period (which has been 28 days on the nose for 10 months straight now) was late. I had a "feeling" the day before my period was due and took an early results pregnancy test. It showed a faint positive. Now it's been four days since my period was due and I'm DEFINITELY late, and I've taken at least a dozen tests. (To borrow a phrase from the POAS site lady: yes...my name is coffeegirl and I'm a POAS addict.) About 2/3 of those tests have been +, but very, very faint positives. And then about 1/3 of them (esp. the blue dye tests) have been negative. This all worried me because with my daughter, they started out faint then got darker each day.

So I go to the OB and they do some bloodwork and my beta hcg level is at a 9. "Not quite negative" (their words) but almost definitely not a viable pregnancy. :( My OB said it looks like a chemical pregnancy or early miscarriage. I'll be going back next week to get another blood draw to make sure. But anyhow, this will be my first loss of any kind and I have a couple of questions.

First, if it's an early miscarriage, is there any rough timeline for when my period will return? I've still had no bleeding, no cramping. Only a few twinges in the area of my ovaries. 

Second, once the baby passes, how soon is it feasible to TTC again? I've heard here and there that a woman is more fertile after a miscarriage. I've also heard, OTOH, that you should wait a cycle or two after a loss to begin TTC again. I'm sure our reaction isn't unusual, but we really want to conceive again. Like, yesterday lol. IS this feasible? Is it possible, in any of yall's experience?

Should I just wait for the pregnancy to pass and treat that as a period, then start charting and tracking when I'm ovulating again right away?

Just wondering if any of yall have had experience with this, and if you've been able to conceive again the cycle after miscarrying. Or soon therafter. Any other stories, advice, ANYTHING about this would be appreciated as this is the first time I've experienced any kind of loss and don't know where to go from here. Thanks in advance to anyone reading this and for any support or answers or advice. :)

caffix.gif
#2 of 15 Old 09-24-2011, 06:50 PM

First, I'm very sorry for your loss. You seem to be handling it very calmly, but hugs anyway!

My story:  After trying for over a year, I got pregnant in 2008 with twins.  We lost them at 11.5 weeks, and I was really afraid I'd never be able to have a baby.  We waited three months/two cycles, then started trying again and got pregnant right away with my son, who's currently playing a few feet away.  I do think that I was probably more fertile after my miscarriage and that I probably could've gotten pregnant right away afterward, but there were family isses (my father-in-law tried to disown us yet again over it--long story) and I was too scared and beat up emotionally to deal with another pregnancy.

From what I've heard and read back then, the "wait three months" rule is more to allow you to get over any emotional damage more than physical damage.  I'm not a doctor or midwife, though.  Good luck in whatever you decide!

#3 of 15 Old 09-24-2011, 07:26 PM

I'm really sorry to hear about your early miscarriage.  Reading your post really brought it back to me when I had mine.  I had a very early miscarriage (only on day 32 of my cycle- so I would be considered just 4.5 weeks along) in January 2008.  I started bleeding on my own on that day.  I don't know when the baby will pass for you, but I would suggest to give your body a chance to do it on its own (rather than go for a D&C).  I also wanted to conceive again right away, but my dr. wanted me to wait to have one "normal" period (so I couldn't count the bleeding from the miscarriage as a period).  It took us 3 months to conceive again, which was a healthy pregnancy.  I have heard that doctors only say to wait one month period so they can calculate a due date with the next pregnancy, and also to make sure we are ready emotionally.  I have heard of ladies who conceived immediately following the early miscarriage and went on to have healthy pregnancies.  I hope you can conceive again very soon and have a H & H 9 months.  Hugs!

Me (28), DH (31), DS1 (3), and brand new DS2 just born in Sept!

Will always remember our angel babies - Jan 2008 and Nov 2011

#4 of 15 Old 09-24-2011, 10:35 PM

Sorry you are going through this.

With my first loss, I didn't even get a period in the middle, concived about 2 weeks after the mc stopped.

My second it took 3 months.

My third was in Jan and still no pregnancy yet.

Good luck and hugs to you.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#5 of 15 Old 09-25-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the advice and concern. I know this is a common reaction after a loss, but we are definitely hoping to conceive again ASAP. God only knows if or when that will happen, though. I haven't passed the baby yet; no bleeding and no cramping. :(

starsprouts....thanks. I don't know, I think I just seem more calm about this because I knew from the very first BFP test I got that there might be a problem. The positive was there but it was so very faint; it should have been much darker for where I was at in my cycle. And the subsequent faint + tests and then the negative tests only added to that feeling. I did let myself get kind of hopeful. So did my husband. But mostly we've been very guarded and have had a "let's wait and see" approach this whole past week due to the tests. That's why I wanted to go get bloodwork done in the first place....I didn't want to sit on it for a week and my DH and myself get hopeful and start planning things, etc., only to be that much more disappointed to have a loss. If that makes sense.

caffix.gif
#6 of 15 Old 09-25-2011, 11:44 AM

When I had my first miscarriage the doctor told me that waiting was not necessary with earlier losses as our bodies do not undergo a lot of stress or changes during the first trimester.

I also agree with being more fertile for the first few cycles, I conceived again the second cycle after my first loss, and though I lost that one as well, it still proved the increase in fertility for me. I have been unable to get pregnant since that second loss.

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#7 of 15 Old 09-25-2011, 12:03 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Have you gotten any more HPT+'s since the blood test?  Most pink dye, early tests require an hCG level of 25, but some have been reported to be lower.  Blue dye tests are notoriously difficult to interpret.  So if your levels were at 25+ and then dropped to 9 when you had the blood test, this is certainly a sign of an impending m/c.  But if you have gotten some HPT+'s since the blood test, this would indicate that either the blood test was faulty (rare, but it did just happen to someone on these boards a couple of months ago), the HPT's you took prior to the blood test were quite sensitive and detected levels closer to 10, or your hCG levels are going up and down.  This can be indicative of an ectopic pregnancy and would warrant further investigation by your OB.  The manufacturers of the tests are very clear that you cannot use the darkness of the line to determine viability (though I know that anecdotally there is evidence to support this).

I've had two early losses.  After the first, I conceived my daughter the very next cycle.  O was delayed by about week, so I highly recommend charting to see when you finally O again.  Otherwise you might end up waiting for your period for a few weeks past when you expect it, getting BFN's and pulling your hair out.  With my second early loss, O was delayed just a few days past normal and I conceived the cycle after that without trying.  In fact, we were avoiding!  So in my case, fertility was absolutely increased after my m/c's.  It is thought this is due to your hormone levels remaining slightly elevated from the lost pregnancy.

Some doctors will advise you to wait at least one full cycle after an early loss to TTC again.  This is for two reasons: to establish an LMP for dating purposes of your next pregnancy and so that you have time to heal emotionally.  Some might throw in there that your uterine lining might be thinner the next cycle, but I have not yet heard one story of woman saying this happened to her and she lost two pregnancies in back to back cycles.  The argument about LMP is pointless if you chart and/or plan to get an early u/s for dating purposes.  The second argument is completely valid and the only one that I would urge you to consider.  If you don't feel emotionally ready for it, then wait a cycle or two.  If you do feel emotionally ready, then go for it!

I'm sorry you're going through this!  hug2.gif  Please keep us updated!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#8 of 15 Old 09-25-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Stevi and Jaimee. I haven't taken any more HPT sicne the blood test. Mostly because I've run out of them, and I spent so much money on the ones I did buy and took this past week that I'd feel stupid buying another one. redface.gif  I just ordered another batch of the IC ones from Amazon though, and they should get here in a couple days.

Yes, I'm going back for my second blood test either tomorrow or Tuesday. The OB said that based on those results, we'd see where to go from there. From what I've been reading online, it sounds like an ectopic pregnancy is pretty unlikely because I haven't had any spotting, cramping, or any pain whatsoever. But only the blood test and, if necessary, an u/s afterwards will rule that out 100%.

Thanks again, everyone. Will keep this thread and the other thread updated as I learn more.

caffix.gif
#9 of 15 Old 09-25-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegirl View Post
I'm going back for my second blood test either tomorrow or Tuesday. The OB said that based on those results, we'd see where to go from there. From what I've been reading online, it sounds like an ectopic pregnancy is pretty unlikely because I haven't had any spotting, cramping, or any pain whatsoever. But only the blood test and, if necessary, an u/s afterwards will rule that out 100%.

I'm glad you're getting a second blood test, I imagine that will help you emotionally anticipate what will happen next.  Unfortunately from what I've heard from other women on these boards, it is not usually possible to confirm an ectopic pregnancy at this point.  But the lack of spotting and cramping is interesting and I will watch for your update!  Good luck!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#10 of 15 Old 09-25-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Some might throw in there that your uterine lining might be thinner the next cycle, but I have not yet heard one story of woman saying this happened to her and she lost two pregnancies in back to back cycles.

I have actually heard of women losing two pregnancies in a row. I pretty much did that myself. But, the losses were not, in my opinion due to conceiving too soon after a previous loss. I know for a fact my loss was not due to that.

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#11 of 15 Old 09-25-2011, 03:02 PM

Stevi... two early losses in a row not due to something like a short LP?  I've heard of later losses back to back and continued chemical pregnancies due to short LP.  Just curious.  Of course there is always someone out there who is the exception!

#12 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 03:55 PM

We waited one cycle after I had a miscarriage and a D&C... and I got pg then!

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#13 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Jaimee...   My LP then was 11 days, so it wasn't my LP. I blame my miscarriages on the use of antibiotics. I took Azithromycin with my first, and Amoxicillin right after ovulation with my second (before I even knew I was pregnant). Remember I am one of those in the "advanced maternal age" category. Miscarriages for myslef and my peers are more prevalent.

Hopefully I have not discouraged anyone from trying immediately after a loss. I feel it is an optimum time to TTC, and very much believe in the enhanced fertility.

#14 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 05:25 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish that no mama would have to go through a loss. You are actually much more fertile the few months following a miscarriage. I had an early miscarriage without the need for a D&C. My OB advised me to wait until I get a normal period for dating purposes. We didn't use protection, though, and I got pregnant before having a normal cycle. It was about 2.5-3 weeks after the miscarriage, and I got a sticky bean. My chart was pretty crazy that month, and I'm not sure how I got pregnant, but I did. I would recommend charting and using OPK's to help figure out when you're ovulating if you're emotionally ready. The medical advice to wait 3 months is very outdated and not based on factual evidence. Recent studies have shown that it is best to try as soon as you are emotionally ready, that you're more fertile for a few months after, and that you're more likely to get sticky bean during that period. Good luck TTC!

BTW - it was also easy to date this pregnancy since I had been charting. I told the OB when I thought I O'd, and she ordered two beta quant tests. After those came back looking good, they did an ultrasound to confirm location and size.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#15 of 15 Old 09-30-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

I have another question, I posted it in the other forum but thought I would link it here in case any of you had any insight. I'll warn you ahead of time, it's kind of gross and TMI-y, but I didn't know where else/who else I could ask. TIA.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1331494/sensitive-question-i-think-i-miscarried-last-night#post_16681194

caffix.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page