May have done it right--TTC 2nd Attempt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-04-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yesterday morning I tested positive on a clear blue ovulation test. Not thinking too much about it, as I tend to get one positive test randomly.. and all others are negative (even when tested with the same urine).

I took the test, took out my dogs and forgot about it till about an hour or so later. Because the box clearly reads to not read results after 10 minutes have passed, I was doubtful and waited another 2 1/2 hours before retesting and that came up positive as well! This was a shock to me because I was on day 16, and thought I passed my window of ovulation, and was ready to go 're-charge' my tank the following morning. On the same urine, I retested one-by-one and I ended up with 3 more positive results!! Since we were ready to begin to thaw the vial, I figured using my last clear blue wouldn't hurt, as I wouldn't need anymore till next month so I used it and of course, that was positive too!

Last time I inseminated, I used IUI sperm, and brought it to my Nurse Practitioner, but she had no experience, and never got the sperm inside of the uterus (where it was suppose to go). I was only allowed to stay in the room for 10-15 minutes before another patient needed to use it. After the 15 minutes were up, I had to run to my car and do my best to keep my hips raised. It was only about 5 or 7 minutes before the blood rushed to my head and I had to flip back over. Needless to say, it was a negative on the pregnancy test.

This time around we did it at home, bought ICI sperm instead, and inserted it with a needless syringe/catheter. I laid down for an excruciating 4 hours. 2 with my hips raised, 2 lying flat down (my hips were KILLING me). I started to cramp like my first insemination just a few hours after inserting it, but this time it hurt all last night, and all day today. I was too early inseminating last time, as I thought I was ovulating a few days after my period. This time, I'm on Day 16.

The ICI was also YELLOW, as the IUI was clear. I understand that IUI is washed, but I wasn't aware that the ICI would be this color. Has anyone elses ICI yellow? Maybe because it was donated 11 years ago?? I'm hoping this time around was more effective.  Any input would be appreciated!!

TTC since July 2011  neg.gif

BFP on April 27th 2012   thumbsup.gif pos.gifjoy.gif

Gave birth to a BEAUTIFUL baby girl January 10th 2013. Never have been so blessed!

Baby Dust to everyone!!

dust.gif

#2 of 9 Old 10-11-2011, 03:58 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Good luck and keep us posted!  dust.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 9 Old 10-13-2011, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

I will, I'm trying to wait out the entire 14 days without testing.. very difficult!!!!

Gave birth to a BEAUTIFUL baby girl January 10th 2013. Never have been so blessed!

Baby Dust to everyone!!

dust.gif

#4 of 9 Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

So far i have a BFN on all my tests. AF hasn't shown yet, and I'm due. I'm losing hope, I did 4 tests and nothing.

Baby Dust to everyone!!

dust.gif

#5 of 9 Old 10-18-2011, 11:20 AM

Are you charting?  While it is certainly possible not to get accurate results around 14 DPO, it's not terribly likely.  If AF is due and you're getting BFN's then I would make the assumption that you did not O when you thought you did. 

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 9 Old 10-22-2011, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Nope. All BFN!!  Very dissapointed, but expected.  =\

Baby Dust to everyone!!

dust.gif

#7 of 9 Old 10-23-2011, 07:07 AM

Nope to charting?  I would absolutely start then!!  When you're putting all this time and effort (and money?) into IUI's you really need to know when O actually happens.  Sorry about the BFN's, but again, if AF has not shown it probably just means you O'd much later than you thought.  Chart, chart, chart!  thumb.gif

#8 of 9 Old 10-25-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

I said nope to being pregnant. I tried charting but it wasn't quite working with me. I tend to have this habit of popping out of bed as soon as I wake to either use the bathroom, or check the clock.. Because of this, I'm getting some real inaccurate results and I feel like if I'm not going to do it right, then why do it at all?? I'd say out of a 7-day week, I get an misread BBT about 4 or 5 of those days. So unless I tape the thermal straight to my mouth, I don't think I'll be too great at it.

Also, I tried tracking my cervical mucus. I was told (sorry if its TMI) that you just stick 1 finger inside, and then check what was left on it. Which, I was comfortable with. Then I find out, you need to squat, insert 2 fingers, and move them around REAL deep to find your cervix until you find something that resembles lips. I am absolutely NOT comfortable with that. I have been with my female partner for almost 5 years, without the use of toys and what-not. It hurts if I put 2 fingers in dry, especially in a squatting position, only to play with some unknown (to me) pair of lips deep within myself. I don't mind playing with the mucus, but I just get extremely squeamish when it has to do with mine or anyone elses insides. I have even tried to get my partner to help me, but she couldn't reach anything that felt like a cervix. So I reverted back to doing the CM checks my way, with 1 finger without feeling my cervix.

Therefor, I know I shouldn't, but I've based my prediction on home ovulation tests. I know I shouldn't due to my time/money/emotional state, but I found that nothing will really help me, and I find myself in a big "I DON'T KNOW" state, wondering if I should go get my tank recharged or if it was time to put it in! I end up buying 2, sometimes 3, packs of the 7 day tests and testing twice a day. The day it comes up positive, I retest another on the same urine, and if it comes up positive again, if I have any more, I will throw a 3rd in there. I have gotten some false reads to where the test came up neg on the second try, so to get 3 positives, I feel that theres a good chance?

This time we are using  known donor fresh sperm.. I'm not too sure yet. I'm about to post a new thread about it, but we are hoping this will help us conceive, as we have a set price for unlimited supply. It's been told that sperm takes 24 hours to reach the egg. Frozen sperm usually die off within 24 hours. Fresh sperm can live up to 5 days within the tubes. We were going to have to wait if we did frozen sperm, because Christmas is only 2 months away. In that route, I was going to buy a fertility monitor, buy 2 vials of ICI sperm, and do it that way. Fresh sperm allows me to continue trying without the constant spending of up to $700 a month, and a higher volume of mobile sperm as well with a longer life span.

Baby Dust to everyone!!

dust.gif

#9 of 9 Old 10-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaritaMarina View Post

So unless I tape the thermal straight to my mouth, I don't think I'll be too great at it.....   Also, I tried tracking my cervical mucus. I was told (sorry if its TMI) that you just stick 1 finger inside, and then check what was left on it. Which, I was comfortable with. Then I find out, you need to squat, insert 2 fingers, and move them around REAL deep to find your cervix until you find something that resembles lips. I am absolutely NOT comfortable with that.

Therefor, I know I shouldn't, but I've based my prediction on home ovulation tests.... I have gotten some false reads to where the test came up neg on the second try, so to get 3 positives, I feel that theres a good chance?

Okay, here's the thing, OPK's are only going to tell you when you are gearing up to O.  They cannot confirm that you actually did O.  So if you get your 3 positives and did the IUI it could turn out that you didn't actually O then and ended up Oing several days later greatly decreasing your chances or missing it all together.  The same thing is true of CF.  It cannot confirm O.  Temping is what you really need to do in order to actually know if you are timing the IUI's correctly.  I wrote out a post for another thread a while back about how to chart.  I know you know most of it, but some of it you may find is new information.  For instance, internal CF checks are NOT necessary!  In fact, all the studies that have been done on charting have been done with external observations only.  See my post below to check your CF externally.  I'm hoping once you read through it you might be inspired to try charting again b/c I really think it's your best bet.  I used to leave my BBT out on my nightstand and once you're in the habit, it's really easy to remember roll over, grab it, temp, and then go about whatever you need/want to do.  It might take you a bit, but maybe you could put a brightly colored sticky note on your lamp shade or make yourself a reminder that you stand up on your nightstand or maybe your partner could get in on it, too, and help remind you before you get out of bed.  If you don't have a nightstand by your bed, you could tape something to the wall and put your BBT under your pillow.  Just some thoughts...

Quote:

It's been told that sperm takes 24 hours to reach the egg. Frozen sperm usually die off within 24 hours. Fresh sperm can live up to 5 days within the tubes.

It's not that sperm takes 24 hours to reach they egg.  Sperm only have 24 hours to reach the egg b/c after that, the egg is gone.  Fresh sperm can live up to 5 days, but only in fertile CF. 

Okay here's my charting post...

Start as soon as you can since the first day of red blood is cycle day 1.  Pick up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler at the library (or buy it).  You don't need to read it cover to cover to get started, but it really is an excellent resource.

You can pick up a basal body thermometer (BBT) at your local drug store.  Some are better than others.  I prefer ones that take longer than 30 seconds (they seem more accurate to me) and can hold two temperatures in memory (this is especially handy when you wake up, temp, and go back to sleep- you can look at and record the temp later).  The Walgreens thermometer gets generally bad reviews.  BD gets good reviews. 

When temping you want to focus on a few things: taking it at the same time each morning (within 30 minutes); taking it after a solid block of sleep (3 hours is usually recommended); and making sure that you don't get out of bed, sit up, drink water, or fall asleep before or while temping.  So basically you just wake up, roll over, temp, and go back to sleep or get up. 

Some women are really sensitive to changes in sleep patterns or ambient temperature (like if your room is hot one morning and not the next or you wake up snuggled under a warm blanket and the next are out of the covers).  But other women find that they can see their pattern despite numerous night wakings, not getting a 3 hour block of sleep prior to temping, or environmental changes.  Other things that can affect temp- pretty much the same things that can delay ovulation: travel, stress, diet changes, injury, illness, and strenuous exercise.

Next, cervical fluid (CF) is something you can observe throughout the day- whenever you feel it, whenever you see it (while wiping, on your panties), etc.  Here is my general guide to CF:

Dry: you'll feel dry all day and there is nothing on your panties

Sticky: you'll generally feel dry and there will be a bit of staining- usually yellow- on your panties.  It might be a bit crumbly or clumpy.

Creamy: generally you'll feel a little wet, lotiony in texture, could be slippery when you wipe, often it will stand up on your panties

Wet: you'll feel wet and your panties will likely be wet- maybe even soak through, may look like skim milk (I rarely get this)

Eggwhite: you might actually feel it slipping out of you throughout the day and it might fall out of you while using the bathroom, stretchy- it may stretch from you to the TP for several inches- and usually clear or yellow tinted, often quite profuse

Temp and CF are the two basic fertility signs you need to chart.  There are other signs you can record like cervical position (CP), but it's not necessary unless your temps and CF are not showing a clear pattern.

So what you're going to see is a group of low temps from the start of AF, which is cycle day 1 (CD 1) until the day after ovulation (O) when you should see a spike in temp or steady climb to a higher group of temps.  The days between O and AF are called your luteal phase (LP).  Generally it is said that you need at least 10 days to sustain a pregnancy.  The average length is 12-14 days.  Your LP will not vary much- usually just by one or two days cycle to cycle.  But your O day could vary considerably.  So when you see O on your chart you can then predict when AF should show based on your average LP length.  If you go 3 days past your longest LP length then that is an excellent sign of pregnancy.  If you get 18 high temps after O that is 99% accurate- just like an HPT.

Likewise your CF will go from dry just after AF to sticky, to creamy, to EW as O approaches.  You may or may not go through all the different types of CF prior to O or you could skip from dry to creamy or dry to EW.  You might have many days of creamy and one or two of EW or you might have 3 or 4 days of EW with hardly any creamy.  It all depends on the woman and that particular cycle.  But after O you will dry up.  It could be instantaneous- like the day of the spike you're dry.  Or it could decrease slower- EW to creamy to stick to dry.  But usually you will dry up within a few days and then may or may not experience a few more days of creamy or even wet/EW later in your LP, just prior to AF.

Anyway, that should get you started!  Post if you have questions and use www.fertilityfriend.com to share your chart!  Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page