New here!! Have questions!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone!!
I'm new to this website & I've finally lost hope :(

I'm a newlywed & my hubbs is in the Military (Navy) to be exact.
We've gone back and forth about having a little bundle of our own for a few months now,
with the ultimate decision of, trying to have a little one...

I was on depo provera for a little over a year.. I decided to go on the shot because
my monthly vistor, Aunt Flow, was just not the friendliest or easiest to bare; for years, so I finally had enough.
Depo provera, basically, suspended Aunt Flows montly visits ( I was belated! ) THEN.. I met my hubbs; we started
talking about babies and whatnot & I told him, I may not be able to concieve upto a year after getting off the shot.
We made the collective deicsion to go off depo provera before we wed.

I went off depo in May/June... My friend, a fellow military wife, also went off the same time as me,
&& now, shes 14 weeks pregnant!! Which makes me 10 times more envious.

*I know, everyones bodies react differently, but it doesn't ease my envy lol *

We've been trying to concieve since July, I know only 3 months have gone by; but its been 4-5 since going off depo.
Aunt Flow has yet to pay a visit :( Before depo provera, I got my period monthly, on time, never missed. Now I don't even so much as spot!

I recently relocated (after our wedding) & frankly I'm frightened to go to a completely new doctor, especially gyno!!

I don't know if im ovulating, & if not what can help me?

Anyone have any suggestions? Answers? Anything?

Thank you so much for your feedback!!

Kimmy G <3

:) x o x o :)

#2 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 09:57 PM

Have you ever read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler?  It's absolutely amazing.
I suggest that you read that ASAP, and look into starting to chart your waking temperatures, and learn to "read" your cervical fluid!  It sounds weird and scary and hard, but honestly, it's really easy once you get started! 
It can help you see when you ovulate, and IF you ovulate.  If you don't ovulate, you don't have a period.  Your body is still probably adjusting to the huge hormonal change - but temping will help you know what's going on, too :)

Oh and - welcome to MDC!

KimmyxG likes this.

Doula/breastfeeding counselor/car seat tech partners.gif forever in love with my big, strong construction man.

Birthmom since Jul/09 adoptionheart-1.gif

Early losses Jan/10 (7w), Aug/11 (5w), Jul/12 (5w)

joy.gifDD Jan '14

femalesling.GIF novaxnocirc.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif ecbaby2.gif cd.gif 

#3 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Charting....

Start as soon as you can since the first day of red blood is cycle day 1.  Pick up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler at the library (or buy it).  You don't need to read it cover to cover to get started, but it really is an excellent resource.

You can pick up a basal body thermometer (BBT) at your local drug store.  Some are better than others.  I prefer ones that take longer than 30 seconds (they seem more accurate to me) and can hold two temperatures in memory (this is especially handy when you wake up, temp, and go back to sleep- you can look at and record the temp later).  The Walgreens thermometer gets generally bad reviews.  BD gets good reviews. 

When temping you want to focus on a few things: taking it at the same time each morning (within 30 minutes); taking it after a solid block of sleep (3 hours is usually recommended); and making sure that you don't get out of bed, sit up, drink water, or fall asleep before or while temping.  So basically you just wake up, roll over, temp, and go back to sleep or get up. 

Some women are really sensitive to changes in sleep patterns or ambient temperature (like if your room is hot one morning and not the next or you wake up snuggled under a warm blanket and the next are out of the covers).  But other women find that they can see their pattern despite numerous night wakings, not getting a 3 hour block of sleep prior to temping, or environmental changes.  Other things that can affect temp- pretty much the same things that can delay ovulation: travel, stress, diet changes, injury, illness, and strenuous exercise.

Next, cervical fluid (CF) is something you can observe throughout the day- whenever you feel it, whenever you see it (while wiping, on your panties), etc.  Here is my general guide to CF:

Dry: you'll feel dry all day and there is nothing on your panties

Sticky: you'll generally feel dry and there will be a bit of staining- usually yellow- on your panties.  It might be a bit crumbly or clumpy.

Creamy: generally you'll feel a little wet, lotiony in texture, could be slippery when you wipe, often it will stand up on your panties

Wet: you'll feel wet and your panties will likely be wet- maybe even soak through, might look like skim milk (I rarely get this)

Eggwhite: you might actually feel it slipping out of you throughout the day and it might fall out of you while using the bathroom, stretchy- it may stretch from you to the TP for several inches- and usually clear or yellow tinted, often quite profuse

Temp and CF are the two basic fertility signs you need to chart.  There are other signs you can record like cervical position (CP), but it's not necessary unless your temps and CF are not showing a clear pattern.

So what you're going to see is a group of low temps from the start of AF, which is cycle day 1 (CD 1) until the day after ovluation (O) when you should see a spike in temp or steady climb to a higher group of temps.  The days between O and AF are called your luteal phase (LP).  Generally it is said that you need at least 10 days to sustain a pregnancy.  The average length is 12-14 days.  Your LP will not vary much- usually just by one or two days cycle to cycle.  But your O day could vary considerably.  So when you see O on your chart you can then predict when AF should show based on your average LP length.  If you go 3 days past your longest LP length then that is an excellent sign of pregnancy.  If you get 18 high temps after O that is 99% accurate- just like an HPT.

Likewise your CF will go from dry just after AF to sticky, to creamy, to EW as O approaches.  You may or may not go through all the different types of CF prior to O or you could skip from dry to creamy or dry to EW.  You might have many days of creamy and one or two of EW or you might have 3 or 4 days of EW with hardly any creamy.  It all depends on the woman and that particular cycle.  But after O you will dry up.  It could be instantaneous- like the day of the spike you're dry.  Or it could decrease slower- EW to creamy to stick to dry.  But usually you will dry up within a few days and then may or may not experience a few more days of creamy or even wet/EW later in your LP, just prior to AF.

Anyway, that should get you started!  Post if you have questions and use www.fertilityfriend.com to share your chart!  Good luck!

KimmyxG likes this.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#4 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Welcome Kimmy! And congratulations on your wedding! These ladies absolutely know all the info, I am new here myself and am learning so much. And I totally understand the envy, I am right there with you! It's hard not to feel that way and I think it's pretty natural.

Jamiee - I think that is the most comprehensive guide to CF I have ever seen, including what I have read in books on getting pregnant! Why can't they go into as much detail? It seems like the books and website articles are much too generic with their CF descriptions. I am just learning to read my CF as well and have definitely recognized some of the patterns you've described. Very helpful.

KimmyxG likes this.
#5 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncat View Post
Jamiee - I think that is the most comprehensive guide to CF I have ever seen, including what I have read in books on getting pregnant! Why can't they go into as much detail? It seems like the books and website articles are much too generic with their CF descriptions. I am just learning to read my CF as well and have definitely recognized some of the patterns you've described. Very helpful.

Thanks!  I'm so glad you found it helpful!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies for all your feedback!!! helped me a bunch!! looks like I need to start charting and everything :))
I'm excited!!!

Kimmy G
:) xoxo :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page