Short Luteal Phase - Vitamin B6 dosage and timing question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-12-2011, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a short luteal phase and found (after a lot of research) that vitamin B6 can help to correct it.  It worked when TTC my daughter (now almost 2 y.o.), but I unfortunately didn't write down how much of it I took and how long I took it.  I can't remember how long after a positive preg test you should take it, if at all, and if I tapered off the dose, or just stopped entirely.  Does anyone have any idea?  

Thanks!

Whitney, mama to a very chatty little redhead

Mama to a sweet little redheaded girl, born 11/09; and my HBAC baby, little brother, born 7/12.

#2 of 4 Old 10-13-2011, 06:58 AM

I take 150mg a day but I think that's at the top end of the scale of what is considered safe. I take 100mg B6 separately and my prenatal, that I take twice a day, has 25mg in it. It's important to take it with a B complex (especially B12).

My LP has lengthened from 8/9 days to 11/12 days since my cycles came back post partum. However, I'm not entirely sure my LP didn't just lengthen as my DD has been nursing less or if it was entirely the B6!

Also, it can affect milk supply for some people I think. I haven't really notice that.

I'm not sure about when to taper off. When I get  BFP I'll probably ask my MF her opinion and go from there.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#3 of 4 Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I took 50mg of B6 to lengthen mine.  I don't believe there is a need to time it or taper off it.  You should be able to take it safely throughout your pregnancy or just stop taking it once you feel secure in the pregnancy.  My understanding is that it does not work like NPC.  It's not something that you need to continue to take to sustain the pregnancy.  Rather it was something you took in order to elongate your LP enough for the pregnancy to implant successfully.  Once implantation has occurred successfully, the embryo will be the one extending the life of the corpus luteum.  I do not believe that vitamin B6 would be enough to sustain a pregnancy if your progesterone was quite low, but I'll be curious to see if others have information about this.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#4 of 4 Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM

I'm taking 102.5 mg of B6 per day (100 mg in a separate B6 and 2.5 mg of it in my prenatal).  My LP has increased from 8 days to 11 days in a few months.  My plan is after my BFP, to go down to 75 mg per day and take them in 25 mg increments three times per day.  The only reason I plan to do this is to help with morning sickness (aka "all day sickness") that I expect to have since it was so horrible when I was pregnant with DS.  I never tried B6 to help with that before, so I'm hoping it helps.  And the reason I'm going down to 75 mg after a BFP is because I don't want to push my limit while pregnant with how much is safe to take.... going over 100 mg like I am now makes me a bit nervous, and I want to be extra careful when pregnant.

Good luck Whitney!

Me (28), DH (31), DS1 (3), and brand new DS2 just born in Sept!

Will always remember our angel babies - Jan 2008 and Nov 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page