Progesterone and it's effects on the fetus/baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there are a lot of posts on progesterone, but I was hoping to get some insight into the possible side effects on the fetus/baby.  I am open to any information, natural or supplemental, and definitely any personal experience stories.  I have an extremely healthy 18 month old DD.  About 6 months after her birth I come down with a cold and a fever and felt a lump on my throat.  I was later diagnosed with toxic multi-nodule goutier and hyperthyroidism.  My DH and I got pregnant about a year later, and the fetus stopped development at 5 weeks 4 days, and I miscarried around week 8.  I have had irregular cycles since then, and now my DH and I are trying again (about 5 months after MC).  Due to the possibility that my miscarriage was a result of my thyroid condition, my OBGYN said to go in as soon as I found out I was pregnant for a blood test and possibly be put on progesterone.  After looking it up I have found that some people think it is linked to "neg. side effects" to the fetus.  What are the side effects?  I don't understand the clinical research papers :(.  I was just wondering what they were, and any information related to this topic.  Thanks! (by the way:  I am currently in my TWW after a positive ovulation and feel my chances of a pregnancy are good, which is why I am looking for some insight...I will probably have to make this decision shortly) Thanks again!

superhero.gifhearts.gifangel1.gif                   flowerkitty.gifdog2.gif dog2.gif             BFPChart2.giffingersx.gifTTC             

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 08:41 PM

bump.gif

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#3 of 6 Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 AM

With my online research recently, I don't remember reading anything about negative effects on the baby if using natural progesterone.  There are side effects to the mom taking the supplement.... makes you feel nauseous, etc.  If you're taking a very large progesterone supplement, it could make you carry a nonviable pregnancy longer without knowing it is nonviable so that's another negative.  But I actually read a few sites that did studies that showed that children born from moms taking natural progesterone supplements during pregnancy were actually more advanced for their age (progressed through developmental stages earlier and were more intelligent).  I, like you, am hesitant to supplement with anything unless I absolutely have to.  I hope you get a good high number and don't have to worry about supplementing.  Good luck this cycle!!!

Edited to add that this information I read about is regarding natural progesterone, not synthetic.  Sorry, I read your post too fast and thought you were only talking about natural.

Me (30), DH (33), DS1 (5), DS2 (2), and surprise DS3 due January 2015!
Will always remember our angel babies - Jan 2008 and Nov 2011
#4 of 6 Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM

The confusion you will see as a layperson reading research regarding possible negative side effects to the baby has to do with natural (bioidentical) progesterone vs. artificial. The artificial kinds (I think provera falls in this category) can cause problems like hypospadias and androgynous genitals and are definitely not ok to take when pregnant. The bioidentical kinds (i.e. prometrium) are fine and are the ones used all the time by OB GYNs for women with low progesterone levels in early pregnancy.

There's also a shot called 17 P which is a natural progesterone and is used to keep women from having premature births if they have had one previously.

source: personal experience.

#5 of 6 Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 AM

I'm sorry if this was already shared by previous posters (don't have time to read) but one thing my doctor recently told me is that supplementation with progesterone in early pregnancy can increase the likelihood of having gestational diabetes. But she even said that it's a slight risk unless you already have some of the risk factors for gestational diabetes.

My BFP chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/389e31

Me (40) DH (37) DD (24months) still breastfeeding around the clock. Planning another home birth with our second, due in September.

#6 of 6 Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_mandolini View Post

The confusion you will see as a layperson reading research regarding possible negative side effects to the baby has to do with natural (bioidentical) progesterone vs. artificial. The artificial kinds (I think provera falls in this category) can cause problems like hypospadias and androgynous genitals and are definitely not ok to take when pregnant. The bioidentical kinds (i.e. prometrium) are fine and are the ones used all the time by OB GYNs for women with low progesterone levels in early pregnancy.
There's also a shot called 17 P which is a natural progesterone and is used to keep women from having premature births if they have had one previously.
source: personal experience.

Thanks.  This is exactly what I was wondering about.  I still haven't made the decision, but if I do supplement, I will be sure to check this.

superhero.gifhearts.gifangel1.gif                   flowerkitty.gifdog2.gif dog2.gif             BFPChart2.giffingersx.gifTTC             

Tags
Trying To Conceive

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page