"Lots of follicles" in both ovaries 2 dpo - what does this mean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-14-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Because of a Dec m/c, I had a follow-up ultrasound a few days ago - to confirm completion, etc.  I had an in-office u/s with a technician who was not allowed to talk to me about the findings (typical, I think).  She gave the pictures and a report to my cnm.

Since the u/s was done at 2dpo, I was hoping to confirm ovulation.  The technician did tell me that she usually is not able to see anything to confirm ovulation.  I asked my cnm, and she said there was nothing in the pictures/report about that - but she said that I apparently had "lots of follicles" in both ovaries.  She seemed to think that was positive.  My fertility is not in question, though, so I didn't pursue questioning her about that.  (My cnm and I both are mainly concerned with me being able to maintain a pregnancy).  But now I want to know...

Just wondering if anyone here can tell me what the "lots of follicles" thing means?

Probably nothing related to this cycle, right?

Does it mean a good egg supply?  Or something else?  Or nothing much?

Thanks so much :)

#2 of 4 Old 01-14-2012, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi. Ive had the same thing happen. My understanding is that if you JUST JUST ovulated they may be able to see some fluid around the ovary. Still seeing the follicles is good. That means you make lots of contenders but the biggest and most mature is the one that actually pops.

dust.gif

DDX5 '88 '90 '92 '97 '99. TR 5/2011. HSG 9/2011 R TUBE OPEN. HSG 5/12 both tubes closed. SECOND tubal reversal surgery 7/12 , CP 3/2013 ttc "our" first @40 DH 46.
#3 of 4 Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Sherry :)  So I guess 2 days must have been too far out to still see evidence of ovulation...  Do you mean that seeing lots of follicles indicates a good egg supply?  After my m/c, I just need all the assurance possible that I'm going to get my baby.

#4 of 4 Old 05-15-2012, 01:34 PM

Hi ladies.
Ok Sherry is half right.

Its hard to explain but i will try my best.
Sherry you COULD be right in a way BUT the "normal" amount is usually 1-3 follicles. 
If you have more it could mean that you have PCOS (if you dont know what this is google it) if you have any of the symptoms i would suggest you talk to your doctor.

what happens is if you are like me and have "many follicles" its caused from the egg NOT being released and then can turn into a cyst. Most of these are harmless and rarely require surgery to remove them (i have had 3 removed) most of them time they go unnoticed because they dont cause problems.. The thing is i dont have pcos but i may not ovulate every cycle because they are not being released. if its a one time thing to have many follicles than it could mean that you could have conceived multiple's that month..

I would just consult your doctor about it more.

hope this helped 

xoxo good luck and baby dust to you both 

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page