Implantation bleeding or early period help (advice) please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi
I have never posted on a forum before so hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong place :-0. last month i was 6 days late on my period, I had tender breasts and had lots of cm (sorry If tmi) this was very exciting as I have always had a 28 day cycle and this was like clockwork. I did 3 hpt's all came up negative. I went to see my doctor she confirmed I was pregnant. The next day I had immense pain and Started bleeding very heavily, my Dr said I'd had a "chemical pregnancy". I started bleeding on 5Th of Jan and so I'm assuming this was my period and the chemical pregnancy. From my calculations this means on the 19Th Jan I was due to ovulate. So from the 13-16Th we tried to make a baby. We didn't during ov as we are hoping for a girl (for personal reasons) and this way maximizes chances. Then on the 24Th Jan I started 'spotting' which was pink and  is now dark brown (sorry again if tmi) I have had this on and of for the 3rd day now. yesterday and today it was slightly heavier but still not red. I don't know if I having a very light period and my cycle is going back to how it was before I had the chemical pregnancy or if I could be pregnant. This is happening a week before I'm due on.... My periods have always been heavy, predictable and very painful so this is very confusing. I do not have strong stomach pains that i normally had i just feel like i have a stitch. I have tried to find answers online and I'm just more confused. I thought if I ovulated on the 19Th it would too early for implantation bleeding but I read online you can ovulate any time between 10-14 days after period. Can anyone help me? has this happened to anyone else? i was so excited last month and it all went wrong, i did a hpt today and it was negative but it wouldn't show this soon if it was just implanting? can anyone please let me know their opinions

thank you

xmwahx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 AM

Hi there. So sorry to hear about the chemical pregnancy. I have had a couple of those too, and it's such a roller coaster.

Are you "checking" anything in order to guess when you ovulate? Popular ways are to chart basal body temperature, pay attention to cervical mucus, or use ovulation predictor kits. I think these are some of the best ways to help know what's going on when.

Lately, I've been having some confusing bleeding too. Random spotting four days before ovulation, random spotting four to six days after ovulation. In both cases, I was not pregnant. 

Anyway, generally you don't get implantation bleeding until at least seven days after ovulation. But... anything goes, especially when you aren't sure what day you ovulated.

Here's hoping that this is your month!!

DS born 5/23/10. Trying for #2 since May 2011.

BFPChart2.gif http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/28d724 • http://tcoyf.com/members/sayschu/charts/default.aspx

Old 01-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Welcome to MDC!  wave.gif

I'm sorry about your chemical pregnancy!  I've had 2 early losses as well and it's hard, but I think it's helpful to understand how common they are.  If HPT's were coming up negative, but your doctor was able to confirm pregnancy with a blood test, then your hCG levels were likely between 10 and 24 and on their way down. 

Ovulation can occur within a wide, wide range.  When you ovulate is not something that necessarily stays the same each cycle.  It is dependent on what's going on in your body and in your life.  Things like stress, injury, illness, travel, diet and exercise changes, etc. can all affect ovulation and delay it.  The time between ovulation and your period is called your luteal phase (LP) and this does not change more than 1-2 days each cycle.  So if you know your average LP and you know when you ovulated you can accurately determine when AF should arrive and when you are indeed late.  To pinpoint ovulation most of us chart our basal body temperature and cervical fluid (and no worries, this is not TMI on this forum!).  Many use a free site like www.fertilityfriend.com to share our charts and get opinions from others.  Some use OPK's but these are often unreliable for many women and by themselves, cannot tell you when you ovulated, only when you are gearing up to ovulate. 

Implantation occurs between 6 and 12 days past ovulation (DPO) and 84% of the time occurs between 8 and 10 DPO.  Some women report implantation spotting and/or cramping, but it is a lot less common than you might think.  What is more common is spotting or bleeding around the time of expected AF.  So for you:

CD1: 1/5

CD8-11: DTD

CD14: assumed O

CD19-21: spotting (assumed 5-7DPO)

CD28: expected AF

Okay, so the spotting is too early to be around the time of expected AF any way you look at it so that's not what it is.  As far as implantation bleeding, it could be if you O'd earlier than CD14... more like CD12 or 13.  Alternatively it could be ovulation spotting, though this is quite rare.  Lastly and most likely is that you're having some breakthrough bleeding caused by hormonal fluctuations, pregnant or not pregnant.  Charting could really help you clear up mysteries like this one and alert you to any possible luteal phase defect that might be going on- causing this spotting.  An LP defect is really just a short LP caused by low progesterone.  Do you sometimes spot prior to AF?  It's entirely possible that you've been Oing later than you think and have a short LP, which can cause repeated chemical pregnancies.  There are several things you can do to strengthen your LP if this is indeed a problem for you.

If it is implantation spotting then you should be able to test in a couple of days- if the pregnancy is viable (hence the embryo is producing high enough levels of hCG to trigger the HPT).  Though many women wait until the time of expected AF to test, generally 12-14 DPO, to prevent disappointing BFN's. 

As a side note, the Shettles method of conceiving a girl has been shown rather ineffective.  The only method that has shown a small increase in girls is the O+1 method (waiting to DTD until one day AFTER ovulation) and this only has a 2% increase.  Really it will likely come down to an issue of how badly you want to conceive vs how badly you want to attempt gender selection.  While sperm can live up to 5 days in fertile CF, you really improve your chances of conception by DTD on O-1, O, and O+1.  With my dd, we DTD every day for 2 weeks straight spanning a period prior to O and after O.  Whereas, I conceived my second with 5 day old sperm and had a boy.  Your chances are pretty much 50/50 no matter what you do.

Anyway, if this cycle does get you a BFP and you're interested in more information about charting, just post!  But FX that you get your BFP soon and have a HH9.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

hi

thank you so much for your response i appreciate your help. i have noone to talk to about any of this and ive felt so alone. To be honest ever since i started TTC i have been obsessed with *whats going on down there* I have only really beeen chcking my CM and my cervix from the day before ov so im not sure if i did ovulate earlier. I cant wait until the 3rd so i can do a HPT, I really do hope this is my month, hopefully that may shed some light on whats been happing. I have never spotted before AF before or when ive been ovulating this is why it has confused me so much. I have finally stopped spotting and now my CM looks like im ovulating? but its far too late in my cycle for that. I am going to start charting from the 3rd if HPT is negative so I can try and work out where i am with my cycle

I thought the shettles method was very reliable so thank you for letting me know, i wouldnt want to get my hopes up and get disappointed at a scan. I have tried lots of things to try and get a girl such as shallow penetration, eating acidec foods (apparantly girl sperm prefer this) and no orgasm. I have read these can all effect the sex of a baby but i think its probably all myth tbh.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 AM

Some women experience more fertile-like CF later in your LP, especially just before AF.  If you did O earlier than CD14 then this might be just prior to expected AF.  But going off of what you suspect...

CD1: 1/5

CD8-11: DTD

CD14: assumed O

CD19-21: spotting (assumed 5-7DPO)

CD25: today (assumed 11DPO), EW-like CF

CD28: expected AF

If you did O on CD14, an HPT would be accurate for most women by tomorrow morning.  You could always go get some dollar store tests or a two pack of FRER, test tomorrow with FMU and if it's negative, wait a couple more days and if AF doesn't show, test again.

Let me know if you'd like more info about charting your temps and keep us posted!!!!  Peace.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 02-02-2012, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Hi

I did a clear blue hpt Tuesday and Wednesday and both came up negative :-( I have some signs of pregnancy, tender breasts and feeling nauseous most of the time. Tuesday I started getting egg white cm just like when I'm ov but it is still happening 2 days on. I only ever ov for 1 day max and its never a full 24hours. I have no idea if I'm pregnant or my cycle has just gone crazy. I am planning to test again in a week but knowing me I will continue to test on a daily basis, more disappointment I know.... I will buy a FRER test today and hopefully that may be more sensitive than the tests I tried tues and weds 

thank you for your help I will buy a personal diary today to start charting, just in case 

nicola 

Old 02-02-2012, 09:14 AM

Check out this site for HPT sensitivities: http://www.peeonastick.com/hpts.html  As you can see, the CBE may have been a higher sensitivity (50 instead of 25) depending on which kind you used.  Definitely get a FRER and try with FMU tomorrow and let us know how it goes!

Just to be clear all women only ovulate on one day, but you can have fertile cervical fluid for several days prior to the day the egg actually is released.  There is always the possibility that you O'd when you saw the EW CF a few days ago and that you'll need to wait another 10 days or so to get an accurate result and/or for AF to arrive.  Charting will clear all this up for you!  Let me know if you need some help getting going!

Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hi

I did some research and it turns out I've been taking the tests at the wrong time, instead of when I wake up I've been doing it in the middle I the day after drinking lots of water. I am going to re test on Monday morning ;-) I still have the egg white cm which I've read can be a symptom of early pregnancy. Fingers crossed for Monday, I will let you know how I get on. If it is negative I will need some advise about charting, if that's ok? Thank you so much for your support it means a lot to me :-) x x

Old 02-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Yep, FMU=first of the morning urine...  I hope this changes the result for you!

Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

hi

i did a test today with fmu and i got half of the cross so im not sure if it is positive or negative, it is a horzontal line if its negative then if its positive a vertical line will go thru it to make a cross, i got the first half of the vertical line :O i will do another test tomorrow morning and hopefully it will be more clear

nicola x

Old 02-06-2012, 12:49 PM

This is why the +/- tests are not recommended in general.  You want to get the kind that has pink dye and stays blank for negative and shows a line for positive.  First Response Early Response is this type of test.  Here is some more info on +/- tests and their flaws: http://www.peeonastick.com/hpt/+.html

BUT, the fact that you got some of the vertical line would leave me thinking that you just might be pregnant!  You might have a defective test, though.  I would call the company and ask them AND I would absolutely retest with a different test tomorrow with FMU! 

Old 02-08-2012, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Hi

i re tested this morning with fmu and got negative :-( I'm very confused as I have tender breasts I am very tired all the time and I feel nauseous. I have lots of symptoms of being pregnant but the test said negative. I **** haven't ovulated since my suspected implantation bleed and that was 15days ago now. I think I will have to make an appointment with my doctor to see if they can do a blood test. 

Old 02-08-2012, 07:44 AM

How do you know you haven't ovulated since the bleed?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

hi

I dont think i have ovulated yet, i had the egg white cm the day after the bleed and it lasted around 4 days I never have cm/cf for that long esp through ov. Since then i have had nothing, i would have thought that was too soon to have ovulated but i dont know.  Im probably just getting my hopes up where i want a baby so bad. I am going to start charting, can you please tell me what  i need to chart and when?

thank you

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 AM

If the bleed was a period then you're right, you would not have been fertile directly after it and ovulated within days.  If the bleed was breakthrough bleeding it is entirely possible that what you saw was fertile CF followed by O (or not).  Again, no way to know without charting, so I'm glad that you'd like to give it a try!  thumb.gif  Here is enough information to get you started, please post if you have questions:

Start as soon as you can since the first day of red blood is cycle day 1.  Pick up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler at the library (or buy it).  You don't need to read it cover to cover to get started, but it really is an excellent resource.

You can pick up a basal body thermometer (BBT) at your local drug store.  Some are better than others.  I prefer ones that take longer than 30 seconds (they seem more accurate to me) and can hold two temperatures in memory (this is especially handy when you wake up, temp, and go back to sleep- you can look at and record the temp later).  The Walgreens thermometer gets generally bad reviews.  BD gets good reviews. 

When temping you want to focus on a few things: taking it at the same time each morning (within 30 minutes); taking it after a solid block of sleep (3 hours is usually recommended); and making sure that you don't get out of bed, sit up, drink water, or fall asleep before or while temping.  So basically you just wake up, roll over, temp, and go back to sleep or get up. 

Some women are really sensitive to changes in sleep patterns or ambient temperature (like if your room is hot one morning and not the next or you wake up snuggled under a warm blanket and the next are out of the covers).  But other women find that they can see their pattern despite numerous night wakings, not getting a 3 hour block of sleep prior to temping, or environmental changes.  Other things that can affect temp- pretty much the same things that can delay ovulation: travel, stress, diet changes, injury, illness, and strenuous exercise.

Next, cervical fluid (CF) is something you can observe throughout the day- whenever you feel it, whenever you see it (while wiping, on your panties), etc.  Here is my general guide to CF:

Dry: you'll feel dry all day and there is nothing on your panties

Sticky: you'll generally feel dry and there will be a bit of staining- usually yellow- on your panties.  It might be a bit crumbly or clumpy.

Creamy: generally you'll feel a little wet, lotiony in texture, could be slippery when you wipe, often it will stand up on your panties

Wet: you'll feel wet and your panties will likely be wet- maybe even soak through, may look like skim milk (I rarely get this)

Eggwhite: you might actually feel it slipping out of you throughout the day and it might fall out of you while using the bathroom, stretchy- it may stretch from you to the TP for several inches- and usually clear or yellow tinted, often quite profuse

Temp and CF are the two basic fertility signs you need to chart.  There are other signs you can record like cervical position (CP), but it's not necessary unless your temps and CF are not showing a clear pattern.

So what you're going to see is a group of low temps from the start of AF, which is cycle day 1 (CD 1) until the day after ovulation (O) when you should see a spike in temp or steady climb to a higher group of temps.  The days between O and AF are called your luteal phase (LP).  Generally it is said that you need at least 10 days to sustain a pregnancy.  The average length is 12-14 days.  Your LP will not vary much- usually just by one or two days cycle to cycle.  But your O day could vary considerably.  So when you see O on your chart you can then predict when AF should show based on your average LP length.  If you go 3 days past your longest LP length then that is an excellent sign of pregnancy.  If you get 18 high temps after O that is 99% accurate- just like an HPT.

Likewise your CF will go from dry just after AF to sticky, to creamy, to EW as O approaches.  You may or may not go through all the different types of CF prior to O or you could skip from dry to creamy or dry to EW.  You might have many days of creamy and one or two of EW or you might have 3 or 4 days of EW with hardly any creamy.  It all depends on the woman and that particular cycle.  But after O you will dry up.  It could be instantaneous- like the day of the spike you're dry.  Or it could decrease slower- EW to creamy to stick to dry.  But usually you will dry up within a few days and then may or may not experience a few more days of creamy or even wet/EW later in your LP, just prior to AF.

Anyway, that should get you started!  Post if you have questions and use www.fertilityfriend.com to share your chart!  Good luck!

Old 02-08-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

hi

Thank you so much for your help and advice, i will buy a BBT thermoeter tomorrow and see if the library has the book, if not i will buy it on-line. I already have a diaryy :) that way i can start charting from Friday. The only thing i am confused about is if it was breakthrough bleeding then i havent had AF for 38 days i have always had a 28 day cycle and if it was AF then last month i had a 21 day cycle

Old 02-08-2012, 11:20 AM

Yeah, our cycles can suddenly be irregular and then go back to normal.  It's hard to say what's happening without more information, but it doesn't mean that something is wrong with you.  It could just be an off cycle or you could have had a chemical pregnancy and will bleed in a just a few days.  For charting purposes, I would go ahead and enter CD1 as January 5th and mark in that spotting and just start temping from here and marking your CF as if you're still in this cycle.  You can always change things as you go along as necessary and things will eventually work themselves out... if you find out you are pregnant, you see a spike in temp, or you get a full on bleed.  Do you still plan to get a blood test?

Old 02-08-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

yes i will ask my dr to do a blood test, i have an appointment tomorrow. That will determine if i am pregnant or not, i just want to know if i am or not so i can either get excited or start trying again :)

Old 02-08-2012, 12:28 PM

Post when you hear!

Old 02-13-2012, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hi 

my doctor told me to wait a week and then test again, if it is negative and no AF go back to see him for blood test. I did a FR/ER test this morning with FMU and within 30seconds it showed positive :-) yay x

Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 AM

Yay!!!!!!!!!!  Congrats!!!!!  That is wonderful news! HH9!  joy.gif Sounds like you very well may have ovulated later than you thought!  It's possible that you O'd around that patch of fertile CF at the end of January, which is why it took so long for you to get a clear positive on an HPT.  If that's the case then I would put your due date around October 22nd, not the 11th as they will calculate from your LMP.  I highly recommend pushing for the latest due date possible to avoid serious interventions like induction at the end of your pregnancy.  You can always opt for an early dating u/s to get a better due date since there is obviously confusion surrounding your conception day. 

Join your due date club social group for advice, support, and fun during your pregnancy!  Find your group by clicking on the Groups link on the navibar at the top of the page.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hi I did another test today just to be sure, it was a clear blue test this time and again I got positive pretty much instantly. Yay :-) I'm definitely pregnant x

Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, I didn't know there was a due date club, I will most definitely join :-) I am not sure about the date of conception at all I don't recall trying since early January, But it has been very confusing with everything that has been happening so I can't be sure. I will go with the later date and see :-) x

Tags
Trying To Conceive
User Tag List