Evap Line or Super Faint Positive? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unfortunately I don't have a picture to post.  I did the Dollar Tree (new brand) test this morning at 10 DPO.  At first glance was super negative.  When I took it apart, if I looked really hard I could see what looked like a gray evap line. Ugh BFN!

I (of course) dug it out of the trash later and could see that the grey evap line now looked pinkish.  But it was not dark enough to get a picture.

I then decide to pee on a OPK.  I expected it to be negative. In fact, it was just a shade lighter than a positive.

Looking at fertility friend's pictures I'm not sure where my test would fit in.  It looks like some of the evap lines and like some of the super, super, super ( barely visable) BFP's.  

I'm gonna hold out until AF is due, and if she doesn't show up I will test again.  I was just wondering if anyone had some experience with this.

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#2 of 5 Old 02-02-2012, 03:19 PM

I haven't had experience with this exact problem, but I do have problems conceiving and so I know a little about OPK's and pregnancy tests. The general rule is that you're not supposed to look at a pregnancy test after 10 minutes have passed so I don't think you should take what you saw as anything. With that being said - I'd probably test again in 4 days (first day when you're supposed to get your period). Also, how faint a line is on the OPK isn't really a good indicator of anything - as long as it's not equal to or darker than the 1st line, than the test is negative. But I'm assuming you got a positive OPK 10 days ago, right? So, maybe in 4 days, you'll get a better answer. :)  Good Luck!

#3 of 5 Old 02-02-2012, 04:39 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

The rule with HPT's is that you cannot go by anything that shows up outside the time frame and definitely do not take the test apart.  If there is a dark enough line to be considered positive then you will be able to see it clearly in the test window, within the proper time limit.  The dye can migrate after the time limit and make you think you have a colored line.  And while OPK's can act as a pregnancy test, they do so only well after an HPT would show up positive anyway.  What it is picking up now is just random levels of LH and/or other substances that trigger the test.  Definitely do not go by that.  So like the pp said, test again in a few days to see what's happening for certain.  Good luck!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#4 of 5 Old 02-02-2012, 06:59 PM

I'm going to be the voice of dissent. I took a DT test at 9 DPO. It looked like a BFN after like 3 mins or so but I shoved it in my pocket and went to work. I pulled it out of my pocket a few hours later and could see the faintest hint of something. I was on my 3rd cycle after a miscarriage and I wanted to know as soon as possible if I was pregnant so I could get my doctor to start progesterone supplements. I messaged my doc (she's also my close friend) and she told me to come in and she would do a blood test. That evening, I took another DT test and the line was a bit darker. The next morning when she called me, my hcg on the beta was 20...just barely pregnant but pregnant indeed! It shouldn't have registered anything on the DT test but it did. Don't want to raise your hopes needlessly but it's possible it is something. Good luck!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#5 of 5 Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Annie... I totally agree that this happens, but the the idea here is that the OP's test must be considered negative at this point.  If there was something there, then a test the next day should show up better and then you know, just one day later.  But reading the results any way other than the test manufacturer intended cannot be considered accurate.  Of course if you have a medical reason that you need to know ASAP (as you did) then even if you only suspected you were pregnant it was smart to request a blood test.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page