Breastfeeding and spotting 5dpo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I used a opk to know when I ovulated...I started spotting 5dpo..it was red/brown/pink for only two days and very light. I am at 11 dpo..got a BFN.I've had yellow/creamy discharge as well as some stretchy in the mix. Lots of cramping if I need to have a BM...I nurse my 1 yr old about 4-5 times a day.  Does this mean I had implantation bleeding or a short luteal phase? Could I be pregnant still?  Thank you for any help....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 07:39 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome to MDC!!!   wave.gif

OPK's tell you when your body is gearing up to ovulate and usually you will then O within 24-36 hours of your peak OPK.  However, OPK's are often unreliable for many women.  They can show up positive for days on end, never show up positive at all, or show up positive at random times (like well after confirmed O).  Then there is the issue of interpretation.  With the strips, the test line must be darker than the control and sometimes it is difficult to tell.  With the +/- kind it is easy to miss your peak day.  Some women have to test twice a day to actually catch their peak reading.  But even after all of this, OPK's cannot tell you if you did indeed ovulate.  Only temping can do that!

However if your cervical fluid was fertile- creamy or eggwhite in consistency- when you got the OPK+ and then dried up the next day or the day after that, then you can make a good guess at when your O day occurred.  Do you remember what was happening with your cervical fluid around your OPK+? 

With this in mind, you may not have ovulated quite when you think you did, which means you could, quite likely, be less DPO than you think.  11 DPO could be a bit early in many cases to get an accurate HPT result, so if you're less than this, I am not surprised by a BFN.  So,  yes, you definitely could be pregnant.  I would just suggest waiting another 2-3 days to test again and make sure to use first of the morning urine and a pink dye, NON +/- test (get the kind that shows nothing for BFN and a line for BFP).  If you get another BFN, wait another 2-3 days and if AF does not show, test again.

As for breastfeeding, it absolutely can suppress your progesterone and cause you to have a short luteal phase and cause spotting.  The spotting your experienced at 5DPO would be too early for implantation bleeding.  Implantation occurs between 6 and 12 DPO and 84% of the time between 8 and 10 DPO.  I also suspect that you are less DPO than you think, so the spotting may have been even earlier than 5  DPO.  Most likely it was spotting associated with ovulation or simply spotting caused by hormonal fluctuations during your LP.  Again, charting your temp would allow you to determine better what is happening with your LP and to know if you currently have a long enough LP to sustain a pregnancy (it is generally agreed that you  need at least 10 days).  At just one year postpartum and breastfeeding I would not be surprised if your  cycles have not yet regulated.  After my first, AF returned at 8 months pp, but my cycles did not fully regulated until over 2 years pp when my dd started to STTN and nurse less during the day.  It simply takes longer for some women.  If your progesterone is low, you may end up with repeat chemical pregnancies.  So again, charting can be helpful to determine if your body is truly ready to conceive.  And there are some things you can do to help it along like supplementing with 50-100 mg of vitamin B6.

If you do not get your BFP this cycle, I would highly suggest starting to chart your basal body temperature and cervical fluid.  This will help you to pinpoint O more accurately and figure out what's going on with the spotting and your LP.  You can enter your charting data onto a free site like www.fertilityfriend.com and share your charts with us so we can help answer any questions you might have!  If you'd like more information about how to chart, just post!  You might also enjoy jumping into some of the other TTC threads in this forum for women in different age groups, nursing moms, the ONE thread, etc.  It can be really fun and supportive to chit chat with other women going through the same thing you are at the same time!  Good luck!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Tags
Trying To Conceive
User Tag List