progesterone tests - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi all,

the last two months i've done CD21 tests. In January, I actually took the test on CD22, which was 8DPO and the result was 13.4 ng/mL with a lab range of 1.7-27.0. This month, on CD 21, but only 5/6DPO, the result was 10.3 ng/ml. Same lab range. The nurse calls with the results -- a new nurse -- and she says i can either get a referral to an RE or take a round of clomid. 

even though they are in the normal range, should i be concerned by the results?

my CD 3 results are good, i get positive opks, and show clear temp shift, albeit b/c i sleep with the windows open and the temp has been erratic here (sailing from 80plus degrees to low 30s), my temp has been affected by outside conditions.

i guess i am confused b/c she didn't offer anything to back up her statement.

c.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

How long have you been TTC?   I'm no expert and am confused too... why clomid for a progesterone issue?  Your second level seems borderline to me.  I thought that you wanted to be above 11?  Wouldn't a progesterone supplement be in order instead? 

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 02-15-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Over a year...googling reveals several posts where pregnant wroman have progesterone levels under between 10-15 in the first few weeks and go on to have babies.

could testing so close to ovulation affect the result?

c.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Charts that show the levels of estrogen, LH, and progesterone imply that progesterone climbs for a few days post O and then slowly declines toward AF.  So it's possible, especially if you're not positive of your O day, that it was on the early side and your level would still climb.  I'm not sure, though.  I hope someone else has answers for you!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 AM

Hi Cecelia,

I had a luteal phase defect.... my luteal phase was about 8 days when I wasn't taking a vitamin b6 supplement.  I had my progesterone tested on CD 21 when I was not on the extra B6 and my progesterone level was 4.  I took the B6 supplement the following cycle and got pregnant (and now I'm 9 weeks).  I started taking natural progesterone cream after getting a BFP just to be on the safe side and will continue it through the 1st trimester.  My bloodwork 2 weeks ago showed a progesterone level of 22 so I do not need a stronger progesterone supplement.

I don't have a lot of knowledge on this topic, but just wanted to share my experience.  I don't think you need to be on Clomid for this issue - it can be easily fixed with a progesterone supplement and you may possibly be just fine without a progesterone supplement.  But I hope others reply who know more!

Me (30), DH (33), DS1 (5), DS2 (2), and surprise DS3 due January 2015!
Will always remember our angel babies - Jan 2008 and Nov 2011

Tags
Trying To Conceive
User Tag List