Temp drop but no AF??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 02-18-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi Ladies-

I am sure I O'd on CD 32 and FF agreed, until I entered today's data in..... I have a high, firm cervix (I can't tell about the opening, because it always feels a bit open to me).  I still have lots of creamy CM and a negative test (super sensitive.... 10).  I usually have a 10 or 11 day LP, so starting AF today would be pretty usual for me.  I really don't understand how my temp dropped 2 days ago and AF has not started.  Any pregnancy symptoms went away 2 days ago.  This is my first cycle  since DD2 was born, although, I had a chemical pregnancy in early January.

What do you ladies think?

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2a8bea/">My Ovulation Chart</a>

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#2 of 33 Old 02-18-2012, 07:44 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Your charter is a stumper.  I'm not 100% convinced you ovulated, but if you did, I'd say it was somewhere around CD32, 33, or 34.  It's really hard to tell.  You do not have a clear temp spike and like you said, your temp dips without AF showing up.  But you do have a very slight biphasic pattern.  If you did O around CD32-34 then you would be only 8-10dpo right now.  84% of the time this is when the embryo implants, so it very well may be too early to test.  I would try again in 2 days if AF still does not show. 

I will also say that in my second pp cycle after my second child I had confusing temps as well, with temp drops into my pre-O range and no AF.  Turned out I was pregnant.  I think I pasted that chart in one of your other threads... check it out!  Keep us posted!!!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#3 of 33 Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jamie.... I am super confused.  

I really want to be pregnant, but if not, lets hurry up and have AF start.

I will test again in a few days and keep temping just to see what the heck is going on.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 33 Old 02-18-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

so, even with the small temp shift, there is a chance I didn't ovulate yet?  This is driving me crazy.

#5 of 33 Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM

There is a chance, yes.  Because your pattern is to have rather high temps normally and your temps fluctuate quite a bit, it is difficult to say for certain if you did O or not.  I think you did, but I'm just not 100% certain based on your temps.  Your CF and OPK's point to yes, though.  If you get another patch of EW or wet, I would recommend DTD again every other day until you dry up just in case an obvious temp spike is on it's way.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 33 Old 02-18-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

today cm was creamy but then went to more wet and clear... not ewcm, but there was  quite a bit. CP was high and medium firm.  This cycle is driving me crazy....

#7 of 33 Old 02-18-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

ok, so here I am at the end of the day and no AF still.  I picked up a 20 pack of First Response ovulation tests just in case.

So, I am wondering what my options are here-

1. Is there a chance that I did ovulate and my temps are just wacko?  If yes, could pregnancy still be an option, with low temps, no symptoms and a negative test (on the 10 ___ tests) at 10dpo (today)

2. If I did not ovulate yet, when should I start taking the ovulation tests again?

3. If this cycle is completely anovulatory, how long can it  go on?  Will AF eventually show up?

4.  If my temps go up tomorrow, would that indicate that I o'd on CD 32 or that I am going to ovulate.... what???

#8 of 33 Old 02-19-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

still no AF and my  temp went back above coverline today.  BFN on my sensitive test though. I am wondering if traveling just messed up my temps and  I will get AF a few days late..... 

#9 of 33 Old 02-19-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post
1. Is there a chance that I did ovulate and my temps are just wacko?  If yes, could pregnancy still be an option, with low temps, no symptoms and a negative test (on the 10 ___ tests) at 10dpo (today)

Yes, definitely!  You may not be 10dpo either.

2. If I did not ovulate yet, when should I start taking the ovulation tests again?

I don't put much stock in those, but if you want to use them, I would test again when you get fertile CF (like today).

3. If this cycle is completely anovulatory, how long can it  go on?  Will AF eventually show up?

Annovulatory cycles can go quite long.  AF will only show up if you ovulate at some point, in which case the cycle is no longer annovulatory.  However, with very long cycles it's not uncommon to finally get breakthrough bleeding, which is what creates a true annovulatory cycle... you count the first day of break through bleeding as CD1.

4.  If my temps go up tomorrow, would that indicate that I o'd on CD 32 or that I am going to ovulate.... what???

If your temp goes up you'll probably get dashed crosshairs, probably on CD32 or 34.  FF will likely go for CD32.

#10 of 33 Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:

still no AF and my  temp went back above coverline today.  BFN on my sensitive test though. I am wondering if traveling just messed up my temps and  I will get AF a few days late..... 

I agree, we went to disneyland for 3 days, which made me 4-5 days late and AF decided to arrive during our vacation angry.gif

If your late, hopefully you get AF soon.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#11 of 33 Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Here I am 12DPO with a BFN on my  pregnancy tests and no AF.  Temps are still above coverline, but not high enough to indicate pregnancy (I don't think).  My temp this morning was 45 minutes early and about 30 minutes after I woke to nurse DD2.... I think it is just an off temp.  

I will be testing again at 14DPO.... Driving me crazy ladies.

#12 of 33 Old 02-20-2012, 09:28 AM

I'm sorry the mystery is still unsolved!  If it turns out you are not pregnant this cycle, I would suggest getting more pre-O temps on your chart.  With only about three pre-O temps logged it is more difficult to decipher your pattern.  If the previous 20 temps were all 97 or below I would be very inclined to confirm O.  But it's entirely possible that several of your previous 20 temps were above 97 and jumping around in the low 98's and that would make me more inclined to say O is still on the way.  It's just hard to say. 

I'm really crossing my fingers that you did in fact O between CD32-34 and that you're just a bit too early to test still if the embryo implanted around 10dpo or so.  But I just want to keep throwing out there the possibility that O is still around the corner both so that you're emotionally prepared and so that you don't miss the opportunity to DTD at that time.  You were wet yesterday, what's your CF like today?  If it's wet again, I really would be DTD just in case.  I think your plan to test again in 2 days is a good one b/c if you're only 10dpo today and the embryo just implanted, then that would be why you're getting BFN's with no AF.  Keep us updated!   Peace.gif

#13 of 33 Old 02-20-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

I took my temp orally for 5 days before I started taking it vaginally, but it was very iradic.  Here is that chart though. (I have 2 accounts, so different charts)

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/d9d9b/">My Ovulation Chart</a>

I took my temperature both ways on the 5th and 6th.  

I was sick in  there with a stuffy nose and possibly a slight fever on the day of the spike.  

#14 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

I am becoming more doubtful that I ovulated.... temp still above coverline today, but FF took away the crosshairs again.  These temps seem rather high for me for Pre-O though.  I am including the one chart I did between DD1 and DD2 (vaginal temping, breastfeeding and co-sleeping). This was the cycle before I got pregnant with DD2. I know temps  can change year to year.... but I usually run pretty  cool.  I  am having sensitive nipples and that is about my only symptom.  BFN today too....I know I should have waited till  tomorrow....

Here is my chart this month (again)

#15 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 AM

Chloe's Mama- I  have long irregular cycles sometimes, and my doctor pointed out that if I'm not sure if I ovulated or not that cycle that a blood test to check progesterone levels will give a clear yes/no answer. So if you have easy access to something like that, it may be worth checking, just for peace of mind. Last month my cycle went for 49 days (longest one in years!), and I still don't know if I ever ovulated (I didn't temp or OPK either though). This month we are monitoring carefully, and I plan to get progesterone checked sometime after it seems possible that ovulation has occured. I know it's extremely frustrating to not know what's going on! Hang in there. :)

#16 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 AM

I'm noticing you also never got a HSO CP.  This certainly is not a requirement to O, but since you do check and it was always firm or medium, never soft and never open, that makes me wonder, too. 

#17 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well,  I had a beta HCG blood test yesterday and my level was >2.  I guess it is pretty definitive that I am not pregnant.  There is no way I ovulated on CD32.  I would have had my period 2 days ago if I had ovulated.  

So, we will see how my temperatures go and see if I am going to ovulate anytime soon.

#18 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Well,  I had a beta HCG blood test yesterday and my level was >2.  I guess it is pretty definitive that I am not pregnant.  There is no way I ovulated on CD32.  I would have had my period 2 days ago if I had ovulated.  

So, we will see how my temperatures go and see if I am going to ovulate anytime soon.

wouldn't HCG be 0 if you were not pregnant, unless you meant to type <2

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#19 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

oops..  yes, less than 2.  i asked if it was 0, but she said it was less than 5, so not pregnant

#20 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 AM

Correct, less than 5 is generally considered not pregnant because other things can cause small amounts of hCG in your system.   Some practices even say less than 10 not pregnant.

However, if the embryo implanted late... like 12dpo, then there is still a chance that you would get inaccurate results since your O day is in question.  Of course, late implantation also increases the chances of a non-viable embryo.  Also since your O day is in question, it's possible that AF is on her way tomorrow.  But if not, then I'd say O is still on the way!

#21 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your advice in this Saga that just keep continuing and continuing.

Just a question:  What causes chemical pregnancies and how can I prevent them?

#22 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 03:11 PM

As far as I know a chemical pregnancy is defined as an embryo that is flushed when the uterine lining is shed as usual.  The lining is shed when the corpus luteum stops releasing progesterone and disintegrates.  To sustain a pregnancy, the corpus luteum must receive the signal from the embryo to remain intact and continue to release progesterone until the placenta takes over hormone control around 9-12 weeks.  The signal is hCG.  The embryo must produce enough hCG before the corpus luteum starts to break down.  The embryo doesn't really start producing hCG until it implants.  Implantation occurs between 6 and 12dpo and 84% of the time it happens between 8 and 10dpo.  A couple of days may be needed to build up enough hCG to properly signal the corpus luteum.  So you can see how a short LP could cause repeat chemical pregnancies.  Implantation at 8dpo would likely be just enough time for a woman with a 10 day LP.  But any later might not be successful.  Some embryos produce lower levels of hCG and therefore need more time to signal the corpus luteum.  Studies have found that lower producing embryos ans later implanting embryos also have a higher chance of chromosomal abnormalities.  This is one of nature's ways of taking care chromosomal mistakes.

So, basically chromosomal abnormalities, short luteal phase, or implantation issues (poor uterine lining) could all cause chemical pregnancies.  The most common is a short luteal phase and this can be treated first with increased vitamin B6, diet and exercise changes and later by progesterone supplementation if necessary.  There are also things you can do to help with your uterine lining, though I am not sure what these are.  Diet is certainly one. Too early ovulation can cause this as well, but that's not an issue for you.

Anyway, hopefully some other people can chime in here with more information!

#23 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again Jamie for  the info.

So,  the test i took this morning looks like a very faint BFP, but along with the  blood test being less than 2, I am confused. I had another set of eyes verify the faint pink line, so it is not just my hopeful eyes.  This is almost exactly what happened last month... a faint BFP followed by a blood test of zero or close to.  I started my period 2 days after my negative blood test last month.  Lets see if it goes that way again.... I think that would confirm another chemical pregnancy. But, why do I start  bleeding a few days after my test go to 0?  

I am going to continue to temp to see what is going on.  

#24 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 03:50 PM

What are the sensitivity of your pregnancy tests?  Are they the super sensitive kind?  If your levels are going up then you could have had a level less than 5 yesterday and over 10 today, triggering the test.  It's possible that implantation occurred too late to test positive on the blood test.

The other possibility is that your blood hCG levels are lower than your urine levels.  hCG enters the blood first and the urine second.  It also leaves the blood first.  So it is possible to have lower hCG levels in your blood than your urine, hence triggering a urine test and not a blood test.

The uterine lining is shed once your progesterone falls low enough.  So in the case of a m/c, first the hCG must drop, then the corpus luteum dies, then the progesterone falls, then the lining is shed.  In the case of a chemical pregnancy this may also be the case of the embryo never implants and/or is not viable.

It's important to remember that HPT's can be extremely sensitive these days.  FRER have even been reported to test as low as 5!  So this could detect the presence of an embryo before it has even implanted.  This is why many more chemical pregnancies are detected now than in the past.

#25 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

The super  sensitive test have had a shadow of a line.... not color though,  for the past 3 days.... I think they were evap lines.... The test that was faintly faintly positive today was a  dollar tree test, I think they usually have a test sensitivity of 20???  The blood test was less than 2, so most likely, if there was any HCG in my system, it is decreasing, not increasing.... bummer.  So the test is SUPER faint, but I can see it, DH and a friend all can see it.  I took off the case to take a better picture, the line is the same faintness though. (I  can see it better in person)

test.jpg

#26 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 05:13 PM

I can see the line, but not the color.  But if everyone can actually see it and it's not a squinter, then that's a positive.  If it's a squinter, you really have to consider it negative.  I think dollar store tests are generally 25, but often HPT's can be more sensitive than advertised. 

If your levels are going up... 2 yesterday, 25ish today, then hopefully it would 50ish by tomorrow and therefore enough to trigger an obvious test result.  FX this is the case and not the other scenario!

#27 of 33 Old 02-21-2012, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

I hope so too.  If my temp stays up or goes further up tomorrow, maybe I will test again.  I am feeling pretty crampy now though.  Hopefully there will be a definitive answer within 24 hours.

#28 of 33 Old 02-22-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

temp is way up this morning (highest in this cycle).... IDK

Thinking test was a evap line.  The sensitive test had a shadow again, but since they have for the past 3 days, I am thinking those are evap lines too.

Can temps be this high without ovulation? 

#29 of 33 Old 02-22-2012, 12:41 PM

We'll need to wait another 2 days to see what your temp does.  You may have just ovulated!  What's your CF  been like the last two days?  Your CP?  Anything happen out of the ordinarily around Tuesday/Wednesday of last week that could have spiked your temp then?   I'm sorry this is such a waiting game.  Yes, temps could be in the high 97's/low 98's without O.  But generally women have a range of temps that are normal for them and if you tend to run low then it would be odd to have pre-O temps in the 98's.  I hope that the next few days reveal a pattern for you!

#30 of 33 Old 02-22-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

It would really bum me  out if I ovulated on CD40-42.... We were not so good about BD last week  and this weekend (we had BD almost every day for almost 3 weeks.  My nipples are SOOOOO incredibly sore and reminding me of when I ovulated before and even more so when I was pregnant and nursing last time.  It makes me so uncomfortable.  It was like this just after ovulation before, so I am tending to think I O'd on CD 41 or  CD42  (we dtd on CD42, so  that would be preferred, i think it had been maybe 4 days before that we DTD).

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page