ttc after no periods with mirena - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a Mirena IUD for 3 1/2 years and generally loved it... I didn't have a period the entire time I had it... I did gain about 25 pounds in those three years but other than that no major side effects.

I got it removed 3 weeks ago to ttc #2... everything I've been told and read said that I should expect withdrawl bleeding and mood swings after removal (the "crash")

I had two weeks of serious depression but no withdrawl bleeding at all not even spotting... and still no period... I got a BFN when I tested today... I really didn't think it would positive but I wanted to rule it out anyway... 

This is really frustrating because I don't know what to think... does anyone have any experience like this? 

#2 of 21 Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 PM

It took me a long time to get a regular cycle after getting Mirena removed. It was about 15 months to get pregnant. I noticed a change right away when I started taking vitex, though. It might be worth a shot, especially if you don't want to wait it out.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't had any cycle yet much less a regular one (I didn't really have those before either)

How long did it take you to have a period at all? 

Also I've never heard of Vitex... I'll have to look it up

#4 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 07:00 PM

I had My Mirena taken out in September.. they had to go in and find it, as the string was all twisted up (horribly painful) I bled for 3 days (probably from all the probbing they did) then I had to wait till the middle of October for my cycle to begin.. about 6 weeks.

I have been TTC since then... I heard that it takes up to a year after the mirena greensad.gif which is super deppressing considering I am 39 and want my baby now!!

Good Luck and baby wishes to you!!

Me (40) dishes.gif    DH (39) geek.gif      DD (21) hearts.gif      DD (13) hippie.gif       2 angel3.gifangel3.gif   ......

5 failed IUI's all with clomid and injectables, first IVF failed.. 3 ER none made it to ET, fet scheduled for June 21  

* * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 stork-boy.gif* * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * * * 40

#5 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 07:59 PM

I have had a Mirena removed twice, and both times it took me nearly a full month for my first period to show up. In 2010 I got pregnant that first cycle. Now we are TTC baby No. 3, and I think I ovulated today, so we shall see if I'm lucky enough to get pregnant this first cycle again. I have also talked to a friend whose period returned after about a month, and she got pregnant that cycle.

Oh, and I never had a period while I had Mirena, either.

Married 6.10.06   Mommied 4.17.08 and 4.12.10

#6 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies. My Dr really didn't give me any real clear expectations on any of this and from what ive read about mirena since getting it out that seems about par for the course. It took almost 7 months of trying to get pregnant with my son, so I'm familiar with the waiting game. I also know i am horrible at it.
#7 of 21 Old 02-19-2012, 10:29 PM

My doctor told me that I could get pregnant right away. Yeah...right. I had thin lining until I got pregnant this time, which was about 15 months. I think it took about two weeks for a cycle, but it was spotting. I alternated between very light periods, and very heavy periods, and they were around 35 days apart.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#8 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 12:03 PM

I just thought I would update ...

I am on what I thought was CD18, and I JUST got a BFP. Like I said above, two weeks ago I thought I had what was my first "period" -- rather light flow for three days -- after having Mirena removed on Jan. 13. I actually had a case of bacterial vaginosis before and after that "period," so I went to the doctor on Feb. 6 for antibiotics (which I never ended up taking because it started to clear up by just taking Florajen). They did a pregnancy test at that time "just in case," but it came back negative.

So for the past few days I've been having the "I need to eat now or I am going to kill someone" type of hunger I always have in early pregnancy, and I've been CRAZY exhausted, to the point where I'm falling asleep watching TV at night, which I never do. I actually took a nap yesterday on the couch during DD2's nap. In addition to that, I have been feeling quite bloated in the evenings, which is another early pregnancy sign for me. Also, my temps have been crazy high and have stayed that way. I mistook a temp drop on Sunday as the day I O'd (given that it was on CD15 and I always used to O on CD14 or 15), but I was starting to second guess that. Anyway, because of those things, I couldn't stop thinking about testing. So after I came home from lunch with a friend, I decided to go for it. I had a Target brand test, and I thought to myself, "Why am I wasting this?!" However, it showed up positive before I even finished peeing/wiping/getting off the toilet. I was SHOCKED. 

So to make a really long story short, I guess I didn't even have a period before getting pregnant. Wow. I am in shock right now. I cannot wait for my husband to come home from work!!!!! Happy birthday to me (Saturday)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Married 6.10.06   Mommied 4.17.08 and 4.12.10

#9 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

congrats!!! 

On another note:  I have felt like crap for two days now: cramps yesterday neaseous and bloated today... I had cramping on the 12th and think I might have ovulated (I hadn't started charting yet because of not having a cycle) ... so I'm hoping this might be something.  I tested this afternoon and got a negative but I know it would still be super early and not first thing in the morning ... so not terrible surprised or crushed yet...

#10 of 21 Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoShades View Post

I just thought I would update ...

I am on what I thought was CD18, and I JUST got a BFP. Like I said above, two weeks ago I thought I had what was my first "period" -- rather light flow for three days -- after having Mirena removed on Jan. 13. I actually had a case of bacterial vaginosis before and after that "period," so I went to the doctor on Feb. 6 for antibiotics (which I never ended up taking because it started to clear up by just taking Florajen). They did a pregnancy test at that time "just in case," but it came back negative.

So for the past few days I've been having the "I need to eat now or I am going to kill someone" type of hunger I always have in early pregnancy, and I've been CRAZY exhausted, to the point where I'm falling asleep watching TV at night, which I never do. I actually took a nap yesterday on the couch during DD2's nap. In addition to that, I have been feeling quite bloated in the evenings, which is another early pregnancy sign for me. Also, my temps have been crazy high and have stayed that way. I mistook a temp drop on Sunday as the day I O'd (given that it was on CD15 and I always used to O on CD14 or 15), but I was starting to second guess that. Anyway, because of those things, I couldn't stop thinking about testing. So after I came home from lunch with a friend, I decided to go for it. I had a Target brand test, and I thought to myself, "Why am I wasting this?!" However, it showed up positive before I even finished peeing/wiping/getting off the toilet. I was SHOCKED. 

So to make a really long story short, I guess I didn't even have a period before getting pregnant. Wow. I am in shock right now. I cannot wait for my husband to come home from work!!!!! Happy birthday to me (Saturday)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations. smile.gif

#11 of 21 Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 PM

I had my mirena took out October 2012 and now it December 2012 and still no period. I have almost took a dozen pregnancy test and all came up as negative. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal?
#12 of 21 Old 12-09-2012, 10:48 PM

Gina. I am exactly like u. I had mine removed the 11th of October 2012 it's driving me absolutely nuts
#13 of 21 Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 PM

Hello ladies! Similar experience here. I had my mirena removed December 20 and had what I thought/think was my period on the 22nd. My doctor told me to wait at least a month before ttc, and we wanted to listen, but my husband and I decided to let God control that one. We were on our 7 months after wedding honeymoon from December 23 to the 31st not trying to prevent much since we decided we are ready for baby #1. Once we got back, I was researching the web for side effects after mirena removal since I was experiencing pretty much all pregnancy symptoms or what I though might be the mirena crash. I took a test last week and it was NEGATIVE. Bummed but thought it was good since I am pretty sure my uterus is not ready to house a child.

A week passed by and my symptoms did not go away so I decided to take another test 1/12 and another one the next day to confirm since I was shocked but not surprised that we got a POSITIVE result.

We are so excited but at the same time I am worried that it is too early and that I might miscarry. We are prepared for anything to happen since what is meant to be will be.

I am a very healthy person who lives a very healthy nutritious natural lifestyle. Wish us luck that this will be a miracle success story. I will keep everyone who has had or is having trouble ttc after mirena in my prayers.

Also, is there anyone out there with a similar story which resulted in a successful pregnancy and child birth? I would like a piece of mind that it is possible to have ahealthy pregnancy right after mirena removal. Even if you had a horror story after mirena, I wouldn't mind reading about it if you are open to sharing it.

P.S. I was on mirena for 3 years and had a regular light cycle every month.
#14 of 21 Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 PM

In the same boat. Had my 2nd mirena taken out July 2012. Still no regular period. They are super light and 2 days long. Is that "normal" or should I be concerned.
#15 of 21 Old 02-02-2013, 06:35 AM

I had my mirena taken out on January 22, 2013, got my regular period on January 24, it was normal and heavy and lasted 7 days! Ttc will keep you pisted.
#16 of 21 Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I had my Mirena removed on November 21, and got my first period on December 31. We're TTC now, in our second cycle. I did ovulate this month (didn't test last month), so we'll see what happens!

M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2000. DS #1 -- March 2001. DS #2 -- November 2002. (Ten year break!) DD -- October 2011. M/C at 8 weeks -- May 2013. Expecting #4 late July.
#17 of 21 Old 12-29-2013, 08:22 PM

hi guys , I'm new to this page just thought i would write about my experience so far.

i had my mirena removed 11/12/13 i bled for 5 days on and off i didn't bleed right away , i actually had intercourse with my husband the night it was taken out then started to bleed the next day i bled for 2 days then it stopped we had intercourse again and started bleeding again right after which i then bled for 3 days till it stopped . It is now day 19 of having it out and because i didn't have my period while on mirena for 4 &1/2 years I'm not sure when i ovulate my husband and i have intercourse almost every night sometimes even twice a day and i have done so far prob 7 hpt to get BFN :( its starting to become frustrating because we just want that positive whenever we get the negative my husband is really down about it and me well I'm just starting to get depressed because i feel its never going to happen …. 

I know i probably sound greedy because i do already have 5 children , but i do suffer very bad psoriasis which i was on methotrexate for and i have had to stop that medication due to it causes miscarriage , i am also insulin resistant and on metformin , so because i have stopped my medications (not my metformin) i really want to fall pregnant before i get to sick , I'm only 30 yrs of age so i do have a bit of time for having babies but this will be my last one so i can stay on my meds .

Does anybody know how long until i at least start to see my period so i know when I'm ovulating because my husband and i are going in blind here we have no idea when we should be trying , I'm normally very fertile i fell pregnant with my last 5 really easily and very quickly my eldest 2 are only 11 months apart i just don't know where to get answers from i try goggling things and its giving me no information.

sorry for the long long story , i hope to get some responses about this please or any suggestions are more then welcome on what i should do to try get things moving along 

#18 of 21 Old 12-29-2013, 09:08 PM

wantingbaby6, you and I have a lot in common!  I am also hoping for a # 6 baby (just had my mirena taken out on the 20th.)  I would recommend you read a fertility awareness book like, "Taking charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler.  It will help you understand your cycles and know what to expect as you draw nearer to your ovulation.  Once you start observing your cervical fluid and taking your waking temperatures, it will be easy to tell exactly when you've ovulated each month.  Good luck to you!

#19 of 21 Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 AM

I have to chime in...  

I had my Mirena out in March of 2013, near the end of the month.  My doctor told me I was officially fertile and to go forth and enjoy making a baby.  So we did.  I was pregnant by May.  In July I suffered a terrible ectopic.  I did a lot of research via Doctor Google and I discovered that there are many many many many who have suffered a similar fate.  Apparently the progesterone does not clear for a few months and that is the cause.  I'd give anything to have waited a good 3 months before trying.

Thank heavens we are pregnant again, due in July.

#20 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaCrystal View Post

I have to chime in...  
I had my Mirena out in March of 2013, near the end of the month.  My doctor told me I was officially fertile and to go forth and enjoy making a baby.  So we did.  I was pregnant by May.  In July I suffered a terrible ectopic.  I did a lot of research via Doctor Google and I discovered that there are many many many many who have suffered a similar fate.  Apparently the progesterone does not clear for a few months and that is the cause.  I'd give anything to have waited a good 3 months before trying.

Thank heavens we are pregnant again, due in July.
I too had an ectopic after mirena! BUT it was several months later. We removed it and decided to use condoms and rhythm method to avoid pregnancy. I think I had it removed in like July '12. Then in Jan '13 I found out I was prego. But a couple weeks later found it to be ectopic. After the post metho waiting period, we began TTC. Now here it is a year after that pregnancy and still no baby (I did have a chemical in Oct). I just wish I'd get preg again with a healthy baby!! But I have heard lots of stories about extopics after mirena. I know I will never use it again (although I loved it while on it)....

Me , 38 years old; DH , 39 years old
DD - 11 , DD - 9 (both from previous marriage), and me and DH have DS - 4 .
07/04, 02/13, 10/13, 02/14,
05/14
#21 of 21 Old 09-11-2014, 10:45 PM

Unhappy No period since IUD removal of 6/19

I had my Mirena removed 06/19 and still have not had a cycle. I had about two days of very light spotting (only visible when wiping) in July, but since then nothing... I spent so much money on HPT and ovulation tests and tried to chart, but as a previous member posted above, it's hard to chart with no cycle! I've had the most real symptoms, yet of course only BFN. It was pretty depressing at first, but I'm at the point where I will wait on God to bless us with a second child if that is what He planned for us.

I would like to know if any of you ladies that have previously posted on this thread had conceived? I hope that you all still get the notifications!!

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page