6w4d morning sickness disappeared today :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have had red spotting a couple of times (4 week and last week at almost 6)... and by Thurs of last week I had also started getting really bad m/s. It was worse on Friday, slightly better over the weekend and today I am feeling really, really good... and spotting some black blood/discharge.

I am the least hopeful I've been greensad.gif but if this is a m/c I really want it to hurry up! I can't take the suspense anymore and my MW just says if it's a m/c there's nothing we can do anyways so just to wait it out.

Would there be any point in doing a PG test at this point? maybe one of those ones that tells me how many weeks I am, or a really sensitive one to see if I am still PG?

crossposting in due date forum

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 AM

I will say I had bleeding and disappearing/non-existent symptoms with my mc, BUT I also freaked out when I was pregnant after that with my daughter who is now perfectly healthy and NAK, my symptoms seemed to disappear (9-ish weeks, same point as my mc) and my pregnancy tests looked lighter...  I was so upset, but here she is.  Sometimes symptoms do come and go, just monitor it with your mw.

#3 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Yep, symptoms can come and go.  Doing an HPT would likely turn up positive at this point still and not really tell you anything.  I know your mw keeps saying there isn't anything you can do, and in regards to stopping a m/c she's right.  But you could get your betas done and know once a for all if things are going down.  You're also far enough along that you could get an early u/s to see if there is a heart beat.  So there are things that can be done to help you understand what's happening in your body if you would prefer that to just waiting it out.  It's tough... I'm sorry you're on such a roller coaster!   hug2.gif

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#4 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

I think I will try to get my betas done this week if my MW will agree.
I don't know how I would go about getting an ultrasound, maybe just go into an ER and tell them I think I am having a m/c?? I don't know if they'd do one or just tell me to go home.

#5 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 02:44 PM

Do you have a legal midwife?  If so, she should be able to refer you for an u/s.  If she won't it would be very easy to just call around to a few OB's, let them know you've been having spotting, cramping, lessening symptoms, etc. and would like some blood work and/or an u/s.  You'll be able to find one.  I had the same thing done with my second at 7 weeks.  It doesn't mean that you would have to continue care with that OB or anything... you can always switch back to your mw after you get the results.

I remember with my first pregnancy, feeling as though these things would need to be offered to me if something was happening of concern.  But really, it's your health- just ask for what it is you want and find a provider that will give it to you.  Blood work is not at all unreasonable and most OB's offer vaginal u/s early on- especially if there is concern or confusion over dating, etc.

These days it's pretty common for practices to send you to a lab for blood work anyway (like Lab Corps). So often you can just call the practice, explain your issues and they will fax a lab request over to the lab and you can just go in that day to have it done.  The hCG quant is the first step for most practices regardless.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM

My miscarriage was diagnosed in an ER, but I was out of town and didn't have a midwife yet anyways. If you go into an ER, they should do an exam and ultrasound for you. I waited a couple hours for my results, though.
#7 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 PM

Unless I was concerned for my health, I personally wouldn't go to the ER and pay an ER co-pay when you can get the same procedures done with an OB for the price of an office visit.  It doesn't sound like you're concerned for your health, but rather you want to know what is happening, which is completely understandable.  With a few phone calls I would imagine you could get a blood test tomorrow and possibly an appointment after the results come in, usually a day or two later.  Usually all an OB needs is proof that you are pregnant with a level above 1000-2000 in order to do an u/s.

#8 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 06:53 PM

Yes, I definitely agree. The ER was faster than finding a new practitioner for me, but it was insanely expensive and I somewhat regret the way it all happened, including the d&c that resulted. It's one option, but I would go with a midwife or OB first if at all possible.
#9 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom View Post

but it was insanely expensive and I somewhat regret the way it all happened, including the d&c that resulted.

hug2.gif  I'm so sorry.

#10 of 11 Old 02-20-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom View Post

Yes, I definitely agree. The ER was faster than finding a new practitioner for me, but it was insanely expensive and I somewhat regret the way it all happened, including the d&c that resulted. It's one option, but I would go with a midwife or OB first if at all possible.

ugh I am sorry it sounds bad :(

I am thankfully not worried about the money (am in Canada) but my biggest issue would be access to the tests as far as finding a clinic that is open off hours for blood draws (if it were easier I think I would have done it already). I can't go off during the day, and I also hate hate hate the wait in these places. And it would probably take me away from my daughter every night for the few days of the testing. At least in an ER I would only have to wait the one time to get an ultrasound, if they would choose to give me one. I don't know that they for sure would. I called the health link nurse today (phone line where nurses take your info and symptoms and offer advice) and she was pretty sure the only way to get an ultrasound would be to either go into the ER or see my Dr to get a requisition and then go to an u/s clinic. My Dr keeps daytime hours and most of the u/s clinics do, too. I am going to talk to my MW tomorrow again (it's a holiday today so I didn't want to bother her) if I can find a blood clinic that is open the hours I would need, and have her fax in my requisition.

thanks all for the advice!! blowkiss.gif

#11 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 AM

Ah, yes, Canada.  I didn't notice that you were from Edmonton.  I've heard from other members that this can make things trickier at times.  I hope you're able to get something done today!  Good luck!

Tags
Trying To Conceive

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page