when do I start OPK tests? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

AF just came yesterday, the 20th, so I ordered the 40 ovulation/10pregnancy wondfo bundle off amazon for this month. I've never used them before so I'm trying to figure out when to start.  My cycle is anywhere from 28-31 days (well this last cycle was 33 but that almost never happens).  I think my LP is ~16days.  So would starting on CD8-9 be too early? Just to be safe. I've just used CM and the calendar to guess at ovulation in the past and I'd REALLY like to know when it is actually happening this month because my guessing game is not getting me pregnant.

Any input would be appreciated

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#2 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 AM

I would start ASAP so you can see progression.

I started testing on CD8 last cycle and CD12 this cycle and have gotten very close to positive right away, so I have never seen a progression to a positive. Now I am stuck testing w/OPK's the rest of my cycle to confirm the + on CD12 irked.gif I only have a few left and am not planning on buying anymore (something less to stress about), so we'll have to see what happens. 

*thought I might add, for others looking, that target OPK's do not work at all for me, I use FR OPK's with SMU.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#3 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 01:07 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

I would suggest starting as soon as you see creamy cervical fluid.  They often suggest taking them in the afternoon as LH tends to surge later in the day.  Some suggest also taking them twice a day as they darken to truly catch your peak.  Keep in mind that you are likely to ovulate within the 24-36 hours AFTER your last positive OPK.  Also keep in mind that OPK's cannot confirm ovulation, only temping can do that.   You mentioned that you would like to pinpoint O better- charting your temperature in addition to your CF would be the way to do that.  OPK's make a nice addition to a chart, but I don't put much stock in them alone.  They are often unreliable for women- never showing up positive, showing up positive for days on end, or turning positive at random times.  Plus there is the issue of interpretation- the test line must be darker than the control and sometimes that's hard to tell.

If you'd like more info on charting your temp, just post!  Good luck!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#4 of 6 Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the input.  I think I will start testing as soon as they come in the mail, which will hopefully be by Monday.  I've thought about temping but in the end I feel like, for me, it would just make me obsess more.  I'm going to do the OPK tests this month and just BD a ton regardless of what the OPK tells me and cross my fingers. 

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#5 of 6 Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciga View Post

Thank you both for the input.  I think I will start testing as soon as they come in the mail, which will hopefully be by Monday.  I've thought about temping but in the end I feel like, for me, it would just make me obsess more.  I'm going to do the OPK tests this month and just BD a ton regardless of what the OPK tells me and cross my fingers. 

Right there with you smile.gif

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#6 of 6 Old 02-27-2012, 03:58 PM

Me too! Let us know how you go!!!!

goodvibes.gif

Sticky dust to us all xxxx

treehugger.gifHappy Vegetarian Gal and geek.gif Techie Man-   heartbeat.gifNewly Wed!!!heartbeat.gif  Expecting "Albi" Christmas 2012 diaper.gif

Looking forward to homebirth.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page