13 or 14dpo and negative tests after miscarriage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, this is my first time posting, so bare with me, please!

I do not chart, but from reading a lot of posts, I guess I should start.

Here's a little history: my husband and I had been trying to conceive for around 6 months. On January 8th, I got a positive pregnancy test. On January 17, I started bleeding and I continued to bleed and miscarried for about a week. My cycles are typically a little bit longer: anywhere from 30-38 days.

I've tried other OPKs before, but this month I tried the Clear Blue tests. I test twice a day (once in the morning and once in the afternoon). I got a smiley face in the morning on February 6. In the afternoon it was negative. My husband and I BD on the Sunday prior to the smiley, Monday (the day of smiley), Tuesday, and Wednesday. I'm not sure when I actually O'd, but I'm assuming maybe it was Tuesday or Wednesday.

That brings me to today, which would make me 13 or 14dpo. I've been testing for the past few days and they are all negative. I know that sometimes the body can gear up to O-ing and then not O. I also know that it's possible I ovulated later. I'm hoping that's not the case, because we didn't BD that much after that (maybe once during the next week after that...and that time was just for fun!)

Late last week, I was CONVINCED I was pregnant. I've had quite a few "symptoms" such as some slight pulling/twinges, really sore boobs, a little nausea, sore throat, a lot of creamy discharge, etc. But now, I'm stumped. I've been getting negative tests, but I'm still having these symptoms. The biggest thing is probably the soreness in the boobs, and this NEVER happens to me before AF arrives.

What makes this all the more difficult is that I don't really know when AF is due, since I miscarried last month. If I count the first day of my miscarriage has CD1, I could be due for AF pretty soon (that is IF my cycle returned to normal after the miscarriage.)

I guess my main question is do you think I'm out for this month? I know it's so hard to say since I'm not sure exactly when I ovulated. I have enough tests to test for the rest of this week, but part of me says to just save myself the disappointment and assume AF is coming.

Thoughts?

#2 of 3 Old 02-21-2012, 04:23 PM

You're not out until AF shows! 

The end of the TWW is the time of month when I kind of count down the things making it less and less likely for me.  BFNs at a probable 13-14dpo mean it is less likely for you.  Not impossible, but decreasing likelihood.  Your ovulation date is probably accurate.  When your chances of being PG start depending on something like good evidence for your O date being incorrect, your chances are not so good.

I usually reach a point when I feel like I am 50% out which sounds silly but there are a number of signs that make AF more likely than a BFP and as I line them up I am on a definite downhill.  I know it's not impossible then, that I might see blood even or a dropping temp and still turn out to be PG.

I wouldn't test again if I were you.  But I hate testing to confirm BFNs and usually wait for AF.  I suggest waiting three days or so before considering testing again--AF will probably give you an answer first but if not due to dates you will also have lots better chances at a BFP than you do now and a reason to be excited about testing.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#3 of 3 Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Welcome to MDC!!  wave.gif  I'm sorry for your loss!  Please don't hesitate to post in the Pregnancy Loss forum if you need more support.  How far along were you?

Based on the average length LP of 12-14 days and your longer cycle length of 30-38 days, we might assume that you ovulate around CD16-26.  But many things can delay O even farther and a m/c is one of them.  Do you recall when you had fertile cervical fluid?  Creamy or eggwhite in consistency?  If it was around your OPK+ then that is a good sign that you O'd when you thought you did.  But if you had a patch later, then it is possible (as you mentioned) that you geared up to O on CD21, but did not succeed at that time. But if you did O within 24-36 hours of your OPK+ then we might guess your O day was CD22 or 23 and that AF would be expected on CD34-37.

So...

CD1 Jan. 17 (miscarriage bleeding)

CD20 DTD

CD21 OPK+, DTD (Feb. 6th)

CD22-23 DTD

CD22-23 possible O

CD34-37 expected AF

CD37 today (Feb. 22)

With this information you should be 14dpo today if you O'd on CD23 and therefore should be getting accurate results on an HPT by now.  You also would expect AF by now.  So this could mean a few things...  You didn't O when you thought you did and therefore are too early to test and this is why AF has not arrived yet either.  Or, the embryo implanted late and it's still a bit too early to test (unfortunately this also increases the chances of a non-viable embryo).  Or, you are one of these women that takes longer to test positive.  This is not terribly likely since you tested positive with your previous pregnancy within a normal time frame (I'm assuming).  Lastly, a corpus luteum cyst, which delays AF, usually resolving on its own within a couple of weeks.  Of these possibilities the most likely is wrong O day, especially since you had a m/c the previous cycle. 

If you have a bunch of dollar store tests, you could test every day until you get a BFP or AF arrives.  But if you prefer not to see BFN's and don't want to waste tests, then I would suggest waiting another week to test again if AF does not show.  Also, I would be on the look out for any patches of fertile cervical fluid and make sure to DTD during these times just in case you haven't O'd yet.

You can also start taking your temp now.  Just mark CD1 as Jan. 17th, enter in your OPK data, any CF data you remember, your BDing days, your HPT days, and just start temping.  If you haven't yet O'd you might even catch your spike.  If you're already in your LP then at least you'll see what your typical LP temps are like and if you don't get a BFP you'll might see the characteristic temp drop prior to AF and then get started on your next cycle.  The more data, the better! Post your chart if you enter your data into www.fertilityfriend.com.  If you'd like more information on charting, just post!

Good luck and FX for a BFP soon!!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page