Really high progesterone @ 12dpo / any connection to migraines in pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
 
aprilshower's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got my BFP @ 11dpo (last Thurs), with an immediate + and fairly dark as well. 

 

On 12dpo (last Fri), I did the following bloodwork:

hCG = 180

progesterone = 43.9

 

On 15dpo (Mon)---

hCG = 738

progesterone = not ready yet

 

At 5dpo, my progesterone was 11.7. 

I started progesterone suppositories 100mg, 2x/day at 11dpo (last Thurs).

I did not use a progesterone suppository in the AM prior to going for the 12dpo bloodwork.

 

Is this really high progesterone of 43.9 at 12dpo something to be concerned about?

 

FWIW, this was my first AF post-m/c.  Perhaps I still have high progesterone from that pregnancy?  In my m/c pregnancy, I used the suppositories (but started too late) and the highest I ever got was 24 - much later on in pregnancy than now.

 

RE hCG - I calculated a doubling time of 35.37.  That is great, right?  My loss pregnancy was within range but not nearly this quick.

 

Migraines - I woke with a migraine both yesterday and today.  I do have migraines in my past - usually related to constipation.  And I am experiencing constipation with this pregnancy.  But not really right now - and I've got a migraine.  Can the high progesterone cause this?

I worry about migraines, as I had them at the end with my loss pregnancy :(  so I worry about migraine = loss.

 

Thanks so much!

 

 

aprilshower is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM
 
mamaforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Congrats on your pregnancy!

 

I think your hCG is looking great, and your progesterone level makes sense if you're using progesterone suppositories.  I have no idea about migraines and losing a pregnancy, but I don't see how they could be linked.  Sounds like everything is going great and I'm happy for you to be able to conceive so soon after a loss.  Congrats again!


Me (30), DH (33), DS1 (5), DS2 (2), and surprise DS3 due January 2015!
Will always remember our angel babies - Jan 2008 and Nov 2011
mamaforever is offline  
#3 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 AM
 
Jaimee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Posts: 7,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Your hCG appears to be doubling every 36 hours.  That's great!

 

12dpo: 180

[13.5dpo: 360]

15dpo:738

 

Many women experience migraines during pregnancy and many pregnancy symptoms are caused by higher than usual progesterone levels.  So I would say there is a definite possibility that these things are linked.  Have you talked to your care provider about how high is too high and whether the supplements are needed or should be reduced?

 

ETA:  I did not mean to imply that migraines and m/c are linked- in fact I would have assumed the opposite.


Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Jaimee is offline  
#4 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
 
aprilshower's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you, mamaforever :)

 

The thing with my progesterone is that I only started the suppositories the day before I did bloodwork...  Would it work that quickly?

 

Thanks so much for saying that migraines and pregnancy loss don't seem to be linked :)  That is really what I need to hear. 

 

It looks like you've traveled the same road I'm on - just a month ahead of me on both loss and conceiving again.  Congrats to you as well!

aprilshower is offline  
#5 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM
 
mamaforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hmmm interesting Jaimee about migraines being linked to high progesterone level... I've heard of headaches being caused by this but not migraines.  But I guess that is definitely possible.  But I have never heard of migraines causing a miscarriage.  Aprilshower, I also agree to ask your provider about this!

 

I'm pretty sure the progesterone supplement starts working immediately, though I'm no expert.  I'm on natural progesterone cream this pregnancy just to be on the safe side, but my level was high enough that I didn't need anything stronger.

 

Thank you also for the the congrats.  I'm 10 weeks now and yesterday had some brown spotting so that of course worries me.  My midwife doesn't seem concerned, so I'm just trying to relax as much as possible!  I'm still throwing up in the mornings so I'm happy about that! :)


Me (30), DH (33), DS1 (5), DS2 (2), and surprise DS3 due January 2015!
Will always remember our angel babies - Jan 2008 and Nov 2011
mamaforever is offline  
#6 of 10 Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
 
aprilshower's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Your hCG appears to be doubling every 36 hours.  That's great!

 

12dpo: 180

[13.5dpo: 360]

15dpo:738

 

Many women experience migraines during pregnancy and many pregnancy symptoms are caused by higher than usual progesterone levels.  So I would say there is a definite possibility that these things are linked.  Have you talked to your care provider about how high is too high and whether the supplements are needed or should be reduced?

 

ETA:  I did not mean to imply that migraines and m/c are linked- in fact I would have assumed the opposite.


Thanks, Jaimee -

 

I called my cnm last Thursday, and she still has not called me back!  She is supposed to be calling me tomorrow - hopefully.  I think that honestly, she doesn't know much about progesterone suppositories and is a more is less kind of person.  When I saw her last at the end of my m/c, she was really wanting me to not take the suppositories until at least 5 weeks - so she can monitor my levels to make sure it is a healthy pregnancy (which would have been really hard to do, given that she hasn't called me back!). 

 

My primary care doc is the prescriber, and he doesn't know much either...  He does try, though. 

 

Tonight, my acupuncturist said that my migraines - and all of my other really intense pregnancy symptoms - are due to my high progesterone and the overall pregnancy hormonal changes.  She sees no down side to having a really high progesterone level and thinks I should take the suppositories no matter what (given my history, etc.).  She thinks that my progesterone had to be pretty high prior to the suppositories, as she says they don't work that much overnight.  I'd have to tend to agree, as that goes along with what I've heard with other post-m/c pregnancies that produce high progesterone even when they never did before.
 

Thanks for also saying that migraines and m/c are *not* related.  That is what I need to keep hearing :)

 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaforever View Post

Hmmm interesting Jaimee about migraines being linked to high progesterone level... I've heard of headaches being caused by this but not migraines.  But I guess that is definitely possible.  But I have never heard of migraines causing a miscarriage.  Aprilshower, I also agree to ask your provider about this!

 

I'm pretty sure the progesterone supplement starts working immediately, though I'm no expert.  I'm on natural progesterone cream this pregnancy just to be on the safe side, but my level was high enough that I didn't need anything stronger.

 

Thank you also for the the congrats.  I'm 10 weeks now and yesterday had some brown spotting so that of course worries me.  My midwife doesn't seem concerned, so I'm just trying to relax as much as possible!  I'm still throwing up in the mornings so I'm happy about that! :)



Mamaforever -

 

I know what you mean re progesterone headaches.  When I took the suppositories in my loss pregnancy, I had pressure headaches.  I heard those were common.  But with this pregnancy, I don't have the pressure headaches.  No idea why.  Maybe because my progesterone is so high already?

 

Sorry you had spotting :(  But happy your midwife is not concerned.  After a loss, it is so hard to not worry about everything.  Great for throwing up! :)  That is one thing I don't do, so I worry about that :(  I do feel queasy at times but never throw up.  HH9M to you :)
 

 

aprilshower is offline  
#7 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 07:37 AM
 
aHikaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshower View Post


Thanks, Jaimee -

 

I called my cnm last Thursday, and she still has not called me back!  

 



Non responsiveness is a deal breaker for me. Although I plan to use a CNM for my next pregnancy, my OB with DD would call back right away or talk to me whenever I would stop by. (and he is a high risk OB located on a hospital campus)


Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

aHikaru is offline  
#8 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 AM
 
Jaimee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Posts: 7,465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's super frustrating when care providers don't take your concerns seriously and get back to you in a timely fashion.  I have noticed that a lot of times maternity care providers (even midwives) don't really invest the effort until you are an established patient.  I mean, I understand that a lot of women m/c early on and there isn't really much to be done so it can make logical sense to wait until 8-10 weeks to have an appointment and become an established patient.  But, emotionally, there is more a lot more involved with the care of a pregnant woman!  I think if you called back and explained your feelings she would likely respond.  It's possible that she is just thinking everything is fine for now and there's no rush.


Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Jaimee is offline  
#9 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 AM
 
aHikaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

It's super frustrating when care providers don't take your concerns seriously and get back to you in a timely fashion.  I have noticed that a lot of times maternity care providers (even midwives) don't really invest the effort until you are an established patient.  I mean, I understand that a lot of women m/c early on and there isn't really much to be done so it can make logical sense to wait until 8-10 weeks to have an appointment and become an established patient.  But, emotionally, there is more a lot more involved with the care of a pregnant woman!  I think if you called back and explained your feelings she would likely respond.  It's possible that she is just thinking everything is fine for now and there's no rush.

I agree!
 

 


Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

aHikaru is offline  
#10 of 10 Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
 
aprilshower's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My cnm says she is calling today.  So we'll see.  The thing is that she previously told me to call her the day I get a BFP, as she wants to talk about everything and make sure she helps me keep the baby in any way possible...  I'm actually not planning to birth with her, but I'm planning to stick with her until I end up running into problems with the practice.  In my last (loss) pregnancy, she had never had anyone ask about declining pregnancy rhogam.  She is older and has been there a long time too.  She wasn't sure if the docs would be okay with my decline.  My other issue is that she claims the glucola drink is 100% required - and I'm just not okay with that.  But anyway, she was super sweet and caring to me with my loss - and I do feel comfortable with her (if she will just call me!). 

 

I'm planning to have a homebirth.  My cnm actually recommended (during my loss pregnancy) that I have a homebirth - due to the above issues.  She even wanted to give me names!  The one homebirth midwife that I called in my last pregnancy was very kind and helpful to me by phone during my loss.  She even gave me her cell phone and said to call anytime 24/7.  So great.

aprilshower is offline  
Reply

Tags
Trying To Conceive

User Tag List



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off