SEX!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How many times would you suggest having sex during one's fertile time?  I was at my OBGYN today and she suggested having sex from days 10-20 ish of my cycle on every other day (mine range between 26 days and 31 days in the last 8 months).  I wanted to know whats normal for most people that actually conceive or are trying.  

28 years old, married 6 years to a 27 year old geek.gif man, with cat.gifcat.gifdog2.gif and we have been TTCing seven cycles since Jan. 2012.  Samuel 1:19 "...and the LORD remembered her."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 AM

Luckily I have normal cycles and O on either CD 13 or 14 (found this by temping for many months).  So it was pretty easy to time i/c - We would BD on days 12, 13, and 14.  I've heard that those with cycles that are not as predictable should BD every other day starting right after AF is over.  Good luck!!!

Me (30), DH (33), DS1 (5), DS2 (2), and surprise DS3 due January 2015!
Will always remember our angel babies - Jan 2008 and Nov 2011
#3 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimettc View Post

How many times would you suggest having sex during one's fertile time?  I was at my OBGYN today and she suggested having sex from days 10-20 ish of my cycle on every other day (mine range between 26 days and 31 days in the last 8 months).  I wanted to know whats normal for most people that actually conceive or are trying.  

i think normal is every other day, but my DH insists on 2x/ day lol.gif, i've "negotiated" (made myself unavailable) 1x/day, but hoping I get a break today.... at this point we're BDing regardless of a BFN or BFP, but I feel like hubby wants to get to the "I don't have to worry about you getting pregnant because you already are" sex.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#4 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 12:14 PM

The two times we've actually "tried" we have DTD ever day starting day 10 or 11 of my cycle and continuing until the day after I get a positive ovulation test. I have unpredictable cycles so it ends up being a lot of DTD orngtongue.gif

With DS it took 4 months. With current babe first time was the charm. DD was a not trying, not preventing, whoops I ovulated 6 days early kind of deal.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Welcome to MDC!!  wave.gif

DTD twice a day will not increase your chances since the majority of the sperm are ejaculated the first time.  If low sperm count could be an issue for your dh then DTD every day (especially twice a day!) could actually hinder the process.  You can tell your dh that!  lol.gif

Like others have said if you don't have a predictable cycle then you might have to DTD every other day from just after AF to CD25 or so b/c you never know when O might be delayed by illness, injury, travel, stress, diet/exercise changes, etc..  Ultimately you'd like to hit O-1, O, and O+1 if you can.  If you're into doing a little more tracking, I would highly recommend starting to chart.  Charting your basal body temperature and cervical fluid will tell you when you're fertile (and therefore when you should DTD), if/when you ovulate (so you know when you can stop DTD), how long your luteal phase is (it is generally agreed that you need at least 10 days to sustain a pregnancy), when to test, when to expect AF, if you're pregnant and if there is anything of concern happening with your cycle.  With a 26 day cycle, you might ovulate earlier than you think or you might have a short luteal phase, which can cause problems.  With a range of 26-31 day cycles, your O day could be changing by as much as a week cycle to cycle.  Charting would help take the mystery out of what's going on.  If you'd like more information on how to get started, just post!  Good luck!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 7 Old 02-22-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimee View Post

Welcome to MDC!!  wave.gif

DTD twice a day will not increase your chances since the majority of the sperm are ejaculated the first time.  If low sperm count could be an issue for your dh then DTD every day (especially twice a day!) could actually hinder the process.  You can tell your dh that!  lol.gif

DH count is extremely high, based on an average of 20-40 million /millimeter, he is showing at 100+, so i'm not too worried DTD 2x/ will affect our chances, but I am definitely keeping it at 1x/day and every other day starting today.

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#7 of 7 Old 02-25-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the tips! I'm reading "taking charge of your fertility" and I'm finding it so enlightening!  I can't believe everything I didn't know!  I think what we'll do is have sex every other day starting now and see what happens.  If that doesn't work, then I'll definitely start charting when AF gets here, I hope she doesn't!  Thanks again!  

28 years old, married 6 years to a 27 year old geek.gif man, with cat.gifcat.gifdog2.gif and we have been TTCing seven cycles since Jan. 2012.  Samuel 1:19 "...and the LORD remembered her."

Tags
Trying To Conceive

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page