#31 of 43 Old 03-02-2012, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnamarie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyalily View Post

Anyone had to handle a cat box when pregnant? Do you try to have someone else do it? Do you wear gloves? Wash your hands really well?

If there is some danger to cleaning a cat's litter box while pregnant, I'm completely unaware of it. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Cats can carry Toxoplasmosis. While it's not extremely harmful to adults (Can make you feel like you have the flu), it can be deadly to babies/babies in the womb. It can cause death or severe birth defects.

Me: read.gif, DH: jammin.gif, Two cat.gif, Two dog2.gif, DS: babyboy.gif (10/31/11), DD: babygirl.gif (9/17/13). blowkiss.gif

dizzy.gifcaffix.gifbiglaugh.giffaint.gif

broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 03-02-2012, 05:39 AM

The risk of Toxo is EXTREMELY low for indoor only cats. It's more of a concern for cats that go outdoors. There is a bigger risk from gardening than there is from ANY cat. Just make sure you wear gloves and wash your hands. Just some info from your friendly neighborhood vet assistant, lol.

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#33 of 43 Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 AM

Yes, isn't it most common among rabbits? I recall that to be why indoor-only cats carry a next-to-zero risk. And a cat (or person) has to ingest contaminated fecal matter (mode of transport).

Our cat has made it to the porch twice...but I've never told dh about the almost-zero chance since he's so good at changing the litterbox, lol. wink1.gif

~Rae
homebirthing, homeschooling, natural parenting, attached mama to  treehugger.gifDS1(3/05)  kid.gifDS2(3/08)   rainbow1284.gifboc.gifDD (12/12)

#34 of 43 Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 AM

Please ADD ME!  Thanks :)  I'm waiting to know.   I think I'm about 9 DPO now... had an unusual moment of nausea yesterday morning, with moments of lightheadedness and weariness since then.  My cycles have been anywhere from 24 to 31 days this past year.  Today is Day 23... Waiting to see if AF arrives during this following week.  Hoping for a sticky baby. 

#35 of 43 Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 PM

About the cat litter- for you and your baby to actually get it, you would have to ingest the egg, which is found in the poop. So as long as you don't lick our fingers after cleaning the litter box without washing your hands, you should be fine! I think the danger is just as much as if your cat has some on his paw from digging in the littler box and you pet him or something. But honestly, if you can get out of cleaning it during your pregnancy- go for it :) 

#36 of 43 Old 03-02-2012, 03:31 PM

I thought I read someplace that you can have your cat tested for it...

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#37 of 43 Old 03-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Yeah, Rae.... I'm all about using the excuse to get out of it though! LOL! Unfortunately, DH already knows though. Me and my big mouth! But he's a dear and does it anyway. smile.gif

Lisa: ROTFL at the thought of licking my fingers after changing the litter. I guess I'll just have to try and resist, eh? LOL!

Stevi: Yep, sure can! It's an easy blood test. There's no cure for it though... so just better safe than sorry.

Most people actually have an immunity to it anyway from some point in their life. You take more of a risk cooking dinner (unless you're a vegetarian, of course) or working in the garden than you do changing the kitty litter but again, I'm all about avoiding extra work and not taking any chances! smile.gif

For some reason, I'm feeling pretty good about this cycle. Not really sure why... maybe it's the EXTREME amount of stress that has been lifted from my shoulders over the last week and a ton of good news that has come our way and that can do nothing but help my fertility, right? So, here's hoping! Today is CD 8 so hoping we have a nice, timely O in the next week or so!

Jeri, Natural lovin' Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), and a little one lost along the way (1/12)., Step-monster to Shelby (18) and Stephen (16). Celebrating 12 years together with my soul-mate, Eric. Hoping for a rainbow1284.gif someday! 
#38 of 43 Old 03-02-2012, 07:53 PM

You can get them tested for it, but blood tests are expensive (Around $100) so why waste the money when there's a perfectly capable DH that can take over? =p My DH literally counted down the days until I got litter box duty back, LOL.

Me: read.gif, DH: jammin.gif, Two cat.gif, Two dog2.gif, DS: babyboy.gif (10/31/11), DD: babygirl.gif (9/17/13). blowkiss.gif

dizzy.gifcaffix.gifbiglaugh.giffaint.gif

broc1.gifbanana.gifcarrot.gif

#39 of 43 Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the info on the cat litter dangers, ladies. We're actually planning on getting kittens in the next week or two and I'm sure my husband will be happy to do the cat box when we're pregnant. He took care of that with our last cat. :)

Teacher, wife, food-geek. Celebrating 11 amazing years with my husband this year. We're in our mid-30's and excited to have our first baby in March 2013! smile.gif

#40 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 08:40 AM

Alright, off to the MD tomorrow to talk about my short LP.  So far, based on what I knew before and what I have learned from all of you here, I am going to ask to have my thyroid levels checked and progesterone testing.  As far as the progesterone testing goes, I have read that the most accurate test for LP defect is dpo 3,5,7,9 testing, but not sure if my MD will go for that, at least going to push for dpo 7 testing rather than cd 21, which for me will only be a few days post O.  Anything else I should ask to get tested if I am concerned about short LP?  I am in the process of looking for a new MD because mine hasn't been very open or proactive in the past but I don't want to wait to get things checked out so I want to go in ready to ask for what I need, otherwise I don't think I will get it.  Would love a little advice, after 7 months I still feel like I am new to this!

I am 29, married to DH for 2 years with 2 crazy pups and, after what feels like a huge wait (shorter than many, longer than wanted!), we are expecting our first little one April 2013.joy.gif

#41 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 06:27 PM

I guess I can start planning out my donors for my new cycle. AF has arrived, a mere 18 days since my last... Hmph!

Think Fertile Thoughts!

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#42 of 43 Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Stevi, sorry to hear that AF is here. Did you have an 18 day cycle, or is that the time between bleeding? My shortest cycle was like 21 days and I thought I was going crazy!

Please move me to waiting to know. Our BD marathon has come to an end. This has been a slightly stressful cycle, but anything is possible. It is the first month we tried every other day... 

Thanks to those who participated in the cat pop discussion. I feel pretty good about washing my hands after I change the litter, and before I eat. I am having so much fun with my kitty cat. I am still having a hard time coming up with a name. I don't think I agonized this much when naming DD! LOL

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#43 of 43 Old 03-05-2012, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

New threads up!

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1346996/the-one-thread-march-4-11#post_16900857

Doula, teacher, designer, maker. Living above the mangroves, looking out over the water in beautiful Aotearoa with my husband, our dear friends and a little grey cat.

Tags
Trying To Conceive

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page