Herbs for Anxiety, OK for TTC and Pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-29-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hi folks,

I am curious if anyone has any experience with herbs that help alleviate mild anxiety problems. I am 95% sure I have ADD but was a quiet kid and never diagnosed. The anxiety part of ADD causes me to have trouble finishing work.

As an adult I found St. John's Wort and LOVED it- it took a few months but it totally changed the way I was able to focus and get things done without the ADD/anxiety stuff. When we started talking about TTC I researched the affects of St. John's Wort and some studies had raised concerns about it hardening womens' eggs. I stopped taking it about a year ago. Since then a lot of things have fallen apart, which isn't all bad because I was doing too much. A lot of the extra was stripped away- I went from running a business to being an independent contractor, which was a good thing. I haven't felt all that great about the way it happened.

I am still having a lot of trouble getting work done, feeling tons of anxiety. I am not drinking much caffeine, working out a lot, making sure to visit with friends and get some sun. And I am still really missing what St. John's Wort did for me- it took away all the mind clutter, thinking a thousand things all at once, the frenetic worries, the anxiety about finishing work. I really wish there was some herb out there that would do the same thing. I keep thinking about cutting gluten to see if that would make a difference too but there doesn't seem to be space for making that shift right now. Unless there's some incredibly compelling evidence I'm not ready to make that commitment. I am willing to wait out the few months it takes for an herb to begin working.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Foster mom, married to DH (foster dad!)

#2 of 3 Old 03-04-2012, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi TeamViddy. I just wanted to bump your thread because I am interested in possible answers and also want to send some support your way. I also struggle with an anxiety disorder and while I don't regularly take SJW it has bee very helpful in the past and I would like to know that it is available to me if I need it in my next pregnancy. (I had some PTSD issues after my first labor and some mild PPD for more than a year after.)

I will do some research and post back if I learn anything.

Also, this may be a good topic in the mental health boards...

Mama to DD luxlove.gif born June 2008 and Wife to my dear Magyar foreign exchange husband. Expecting again in September!joy.gif 
#3 of 3 Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Hey! I am glad you bumped because through some research I found a few options that might work well.

As far as other brain/mood helpers go:

• 5HTP is not good for pregnancy. It sounds like in your case- occasional use- it wouldn't be that useful anyway.
  • L-Theanine is extracted from tea. There's very little research about l-theanine, let alone l-theanine and pregnancy. But in my judgment it looks really safe. It's also immediately effective and tends to help people focus with a calm clarity.
  • GABA hasn't been well-researched either. There are some questions about its safety during pregnancy but it doesn't appear to hinder conception.
  • Magnesium Taurate can help you sleep better. It's definitely safe during pregnancy; in fact, it's recommended since magnesium deficiency can cause problems during pregnancy.
  • Fish oil/DHA, etc is of course recommended for pregnancy and helps mood.

While responding to your post I also came across another MDC discussion in the post-partum depression forum.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1079669/preparing-for-pregnancy-alternativies-to-5-htp

So they are saying that SJW is OK. I also remember reading about it hardening eggs and then when I looked for more information last week I couldn't find anything that advised not taking SJW when TTC. I am going to try some of these other options in the meantime...

I imagine that my hormones will change my brain chemistry a bit once I do get pregnant. But I was really relying on SJW to get things done in my daily life and I cut it out a year ago, and have been TTC for six months now, and I can't keep pretending it's not a problem since it's been an entire year and has had some really negative repercussions. We may get pregnant this month but it may be several more months away and I need to take care of the issue now.

Sorry to hear about your mood issues after your daughter was born. I hope all goes well for you! 

Foster mom, married to DH (foster dad!)

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page