"Sperm Meets Egg Plan" questions! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mummas :)

How we all doing?

So I have just read about Sperm Meets Egg Plan or SMEP, and (if AF shows up this round) we are going to try it next cycle!

I just have a few questions about it that maybe you can help me with?

According to CM, Ov pain and OPKs I ovulated this month at CD 19/20.... (I dont temp- too stressful for me )

SMEP requires you to BD every other day starting from Day 8 if you O around 14 like "normal", and to start testing OPK Day 10..

But if I am ovulating so late should we start BD around maybe CD 13? and start OPK testing around day 14/15??

I just dont want to run out of gas before the days when we need it! Haha

Thoughts/Advice/Suggestions/Experience/Stories welcome!!!

treehugger.gifHappy Vegetarian Gal and geek.gif Techie Man-   heartbeat.gifNewly Wed!!!heartbeat.gif  Expecting "Albi" Christmas 2012 diaper.gif

Looking forward to homebirth.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 03-04-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm

That is the link to the original SMEP... I have not had a miscarriage, have just heard that plently of women have had great results, and wanted to do it partly to show DH how much BD is required!!!

treehugger.gifHappy Vegetarian Gal and geek.gif Techie Man-   heartbeat.gifNewly Wed!!!heartbeat.gif  Expecting "Albi" Christmas 2012 diaper.gif

Looking forward to homebirth.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif

#3 of 10 Old 03-04-2012, 05:25 PM

Just my take:    Start taking your OPK as suggested or a couple of days earlier. (CD8/10) Some women can ovulate around the same cycle day every cycle, however some women ovulate at different times every month.    This way, if you have a OPK spike earlier than you expected, you can start the two day cycle at that point.   If your ovulation days are fairly regular and you don't ovulate till 19/20, then not starting the BDing till CD13 makes good since to me, because the sperm life of 3-7 days and all that.  Best of luck to you!!!!  I have heard many people talk positively about this approach.  

Side note:  if you aren't already, I always suggest fertility friend charting online, if you don't already have a favorite.  

superhero.gifhearts.gifangel1.gif                   flowerkitty.gifdog2.gif dog2.gif             BFPChart2.giffingersx.gifTTC             

#4 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else??

#5 of 10 Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Personally I'm a big fan of charting, so I would recommend temping, but if that is truly too stressful for you then I would just DTD every other day you see creamy CF and every day you have EW plus one day after your last day of EW.  I personally would not bother with OPK's, but that's me.  If you want to use them I would start testing as soon as you get creamy CF and possibly twice a day when you have EW.  Always keep in mind that without temping you cannot confirm O.  So even if you've gotten an OPK+ followed by an OPK-, if you get more EW after this, test again and DTD again.  You never know when O will be delayed.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#6 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Have decided to start temping.. I am already on FF and charting CM too..

I will be starting to chart this Friday which will be my CD 7 ... is that too late to start temping this month??My cycles have been 29/30 days for past two months (when i came off pill)... and OPK gave me a positive CD 18 last cycle..

But basically am i too late to start temping on CD 7???

#7 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

PS do you always O 14 days before AF? or is that a generalisation?

So confused and just want to know when I O

Let me know if my FF chart would be helpful even tho I havent started temping yet

#8 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmumma View Post

Let me know if my FF chart would be helpful even tho I havent started temping yet

That is just a generalization!  The cycle I got pregnant I O'd on day 16.  I typically would O around CD 16 or 17.  I charted my waking temperature and cervical fluid...I would recommend at least that for anyone!  I did use OPKs because I was having a horrible bout of insomnia and would often wake up at various times throughout the night/morning or just not sleep at all.  It's important to take your temp at the same time each morning, so if you can do that, then I wouldn't mess with OPKs.  Anyhow, if you haven't already, check out Taking Charge of Your Fertility, it's an excellent TTC resource!

Me (27) married to my DH (28) for 8 years.  Happy mama to babygirl.gif born May 2012!  Also,  parents to dog2.gif, chicken3.gif, and a rabbit. 

#9 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 05:59 PM

Travelmumma- you can start charting at any time.  If you haven't ovulated yet (and you have a few days of temps before you O) you should still see a definite shift in your temp the day after you ovulate.  Good luck with your SMEP!  My DH and I are also doing the SMEP this month.  I generally O on CD 18-19 so we started our every other day on CD11.  We will see how this goes.  I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us!

I am 29, married to DH for 2 years with 2 crazy pups and, after what feels like a huge wait (shorter than many, longer than wanted!), we are expecting our first little one April 2013.joy.gif

#10 of 10 Old 03-12-2012, 06:20 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmumma View Post

You can start temping at any point, though it is most helpful to have at least a week of temps prior to O.  So you should be good.  And no, you do not necessarily O 14 days prior to AF.  The average length luteal phase (LP) is 12-14 days, but many women have shorter and some longer LP's than that.  Mine averages 10 days.  Your O day can vary greatly from cycle to cycle based on what is happening in your life at the time, but your LP will generally vary only by 1-2 days.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Tags
Trying To Conceive

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page